• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Agreed.

What are people's thoughts on her? Right now I feel confused. Like I'm not sure what spot shed take on a 6 stack over any other current in-meta character. Her shield is pretty awesome and that ult with a team nearby is great as well but im having trouble envisoning where she fits in.

I dunno about meta, but she's basically a D.va that needn't shed her mecha every time she attacks someone.

She is mobile artillery, pressuring enemies and hunkering down her location, while also displacing the enemy.

twist was sombra? dunno why he wasn't listening to the group chat tho. I was asking him to hack the bighealth on the left side of point B so i can give him ult charges lol.

then i was trying to see if he can combo with my reaper ult but he just went in and done it lol. i assume he wasn't listening to the group chat?

and yea, ND just ulted when I didnt fully explain what i was gonna do lol
My plan was to tell ND to Ulta and every one go on point. Meanwhile during Dva Ulta I will tele and hide up top Pilar since no1 will be watching during Dva ult. So after Dva Ulta they will bond to get on point to contest and that's when I jump down to die die die.

*o i didnt record/stream todays matches.

damn, I didn't have comms at all. I didn't hear anyone so I assumed we were all mic-less. don't know why it didn't default to group chat. sorry guys!!!

Wanderer5

Lol such luck for the one that posted this, and jeez, so freaking bright.

B6oqa3C.jpg

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Winston was really fun to play before, but now he's extremely fun to play. Won just about every single match with him today, and didn't die at all in about half of those. Dude's unstoppable!

Cappa

Banned
Doing well with Orisa for some reason lol
I'm just not a fan also not a fan of Roadhog too simply because they are to slow for my taste.

I think she's a great pick in the right set up on defense though. Last night was a good example with that team we kept playing against.

Jellie

Noticed the team that has Winston tends to win in comp now.
Just took both points in volskya in a minute twice with him.

TrueBlue

I miss the music so much

Oh good it's not just me. Interesting that the music is gone.

Is the music completely gone on the ps4 version? lol, what the hell blizzard.

Yea, played one Orisa match (seemed fun) and noticed that too, very jarring. Hoping for a quick fix.

I'm sad reading all my Ps4 bros experiences while playing together. I get a Switch + Zelda tomorrow though so not sure if I'll be online much more than I am now, but other stuff like school should be getting less crazy so I may be down for some games every so often. Still haven't done a single comp match this season. Feels bad.

Yea I noticed the music being broken on my Xbox One version too. It just vanishes then comes back randomly.

Phew, thought it was just me.

Sometimes the music kicks back into life but it's mostly silent.

Jellie

When you notice the same thrower from a week ago on your team you know it's not gonna be good.
Also lose a game -30sr. Stomp the next game +15 sr. Every other game since then has been in the 20s. Wasn't even a big difference in SR (40).

maomaoIYP

Not feeling Orisa at the moment. Maybe because everyone is picking her in No Limits at the same time. She seems to get shut down real hard by a dive comp.

Noticed the team that has Winston tends to win in comp now.
Just took both points in volskya in a minute twice with him.
Lol right now it's mirror fight. Both just throw shield down. It's like train people don't want to break the shield down but just run away.

Playing on PC and noticed that Sombra's "BOOP" voice line isn't playing since the update, has anyone else noticed that? It doesn't work in a match or at the hero gallery for some reason.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yea, played one Orisa match (seemed fun) and noticed that too, very jarring. Hoping for a quick fix.

I'm sad reading all my Ps4 bros experiences while playing together. I get a Switch + Zelda tomorrow though so not sure if I'll be online much more than I am now, but other stuff like school should be getting less crazy so I may be down for some games every so often. Still haven't done a single comp match this season. Feels bad.

Yeah I've been the same. Gaming year has been too nutty to really get OW time in at all and the games are long as hell too. I probably still won't really be on much until after Persona 5, I also haven't done any placements yet. I feel like I want to actually push for Master/GM this season too which is another reason I waited since I know with the changes to decay would mean after placing I'll just fall to 3000 so I'd rather do it when I know I'll play more.

From what I played last night Orisa seemed cool but QP was super messy and all over the place. Frequently was either the only tank or had no healers while using her which feels rough and I didn't get to actually pick her all that often. Winston felt REALLY strong which isn't surprising since the barrier change is a pretty hefty buff. I was noticing barrierwatch a lot when I went back to roadhog as there was so much stuff just making his hook clang off shit but again that's just some messy QP stuff so I can't get a feel for how the meta will shake up with all of that.

Man, sounds like PS4 crew had some good matches last night - I ended up crashing early due to not wanting to wait for the maintenance to finish, heh. Should be on tonight though. I want to actually get to play Orisa!

KuroNeeko

Hey Overwatch Bros and Broettes, just a quick question.

I'm a pretty big scrub with a SR of about 1000 ~ 1100 right now. That's fine. I like playing "bad" characters and I haven't been active since about season 2. I placed in Bronze and have been trying to play Sombra, but not to the point where I'll screw the distribution of roles on the team (e.g. If we need a healer then I play as Mercy. If we need a tank, then I play as D. Va.)

My question is, I'm currently 1-7 with Sombra, but feel like I'm getting better with her. Sometimes I get BMed for using her. Seeing as we're all in Bronze and just trying to get better, is it considered rude if I keep trying to play her in Comp? I don't feel like playing her in QP is really going to help that much, but if she's so glaringly weak, then I am really screwing my team? I just think she's fun. DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO GO BACK TO PLAYING MEI?

Tl,dr Can Imkeep playing suboptimal characters like Sombra in Bronze Comp, or should I be doing boring, optimal picks all the time?

I'm a pretty big scrub with a SR of about 1000 ~ 1100 right now. That's fine. I like playing "bad" characters and I haven't been active since about season 2. I placed in Bronze and have been trying to play Sombra, but not to the point where I'll screw the distribution of roles on the team (e.g. If we need a healer then I play as Mercy. If we need a tank, then I play as D. Va.)

My question is, I'm currently 1-7 with Sombra, but feel like I'm getting better with her. Sometimes I get BMed for using her. Seeing as we're all in Bronze and just trying to get better, is it considered rude if I keep trying to play her in Comp? I don't feel like playing her in QP is really going to help that much, but if she's so glaringly weak, then I am really screwing my team? I just think she's fun. DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO GO BACK TO PLAYING MEI?

Tl,dr Can Imkeep playing suboptimal characters like Sombra in Bronze Comp, or should I be doing boring, optimal picks all the time?

You're always going to get people who think only "meta" characters are appropriate picks in comp, regardless of rank. So in that sense you should just play characters you're good at - never play an "optimal" character you're only mediocre with just because they're the meta.

That being said, it's usually considered bad form to learn and practice characters in competitive - with the 1 hero limit in QP that's basically what QP is for now. So if you're still learning Sombra, I'd suggest sticking to her in QP until you're consistently winning and/or have a good handle on her abilities. But whenever you feel like you're above average with her I'd say you're fine picking her in competitive.

KuroNeeko

You're always going to get people who think only "meta" characters are appropriate picks in comp, regardless of rank. So in that sense you should just play characters you're good at - never play an "optimal" character you're only mediocre with just because they're the meta.

That being said, it's usually considered bad form to learn and practice characters in competitive - with the 1 hero limit in QP that's basically what QP is for now. So if you're still learning Sombra, I'd suggest sticking to her in QP until you're consistently winning and/or have a good handle on her abilities. But whenever you feel like you're above average with her I'd say you're fine picking her in competitive.

Thanks! I didn't know they'd limited it to one hero in QP!

Vitanimus

I think Sombra in her current state isn't glaringly weak, but some of the common issues in lower SR games is a lack of communcation and team coordination, which are both elements Sombra needs to really succeed and be a strong pick in your team. Don't get pushed out of playing Sombra because some scrub says so, but equally, don't play Sombra in a purely selfish sense - play to your team's strengths!

NeoRaider

I am reading about Rapid Discord Achievement all the time. But i am not even sure what it is about exactly...

I got one Zen achievement, but i think that it was for healing, when i saved my team from Zarya's Ulti.

Skii

Playing Sombra in comp is perfectly fine. She is viable on almost every map on attack or defence. She's not like playing Symmetra or Torb on attack which is clearly sub-optimal.

Learn the basic mechanics in QP but the only true way of improving in competitive is to keep playing competitive. QP and comp are too different to transfer advanced knowledge between them.

ohkay

I am reading about Rapid Discord Achievement all the time. But i am not even sure what it is about exactly...

I got one Zen achievement, but i think that it was for healing, when i saved my team from Zarya's Ulti.
You have to have 4 people die with discord on them within 6 seconds. The one you got is for Transcendence healing

wonder how much this will change up the meta in comp.

i enjoy me some junk. haven't tried zen forgot he got some changes. also relearning winston. started adjusting hero mouse sensitivity and it seems 4 is almost a good number. idk what the default dpi i have set for the mouse right now.

komaruR

since I never been to bronze and always heard about how disoriented bronze is, my speculation is to use heros that have more impact to the flow of the match if you do want to raise in ranks. Which means, getting good with good dps heros like like, soldier, pharah, roadhog. If i have to choose, I would suggest you to play pharah and try learn all the advice given from valkia's youtube video on pharah basics etc. I assume at bronze, not alot of people can shut down a decent pharah.
Make sure to learn how to maneuver with pharah in the air well. Pharah that just stay idle in the air is no different than a standing target in the ground.

Winston is a lord god now.
Kong God Miro!

Do you guys remember when I said I was coaching one of my friends/relatives in OW? We just queued up again in QP, and he insta-locks soldier, then proceeds to die in seconds by running into the other team. I feel like I wasted so much fucking time telling him basics, but I had good laughs coaching him; helped me get better but not him for some reason. What I don't get is his insistence on not watching any footage or highlights of high level Overwatch. The most fun I had playing anything competitive (shooters and fighting games) is the learning and practice process.

Like most defense heroes, it feels like Orisa is a lot better on Attack than she is on Defense.

I always had the impression that Orisa is designed to be a more aggressive lite-Rein; she can do some ranged damage with her barrier. I am thinking of using her with dive heroes (get there fast with Lucio, drop barrier and start shooting), but D.Va can fly, her DM matrix is better (blocks ults and can be moved), and her ult is better. Orisa is probably better in a deathball buffing with ult and complementing Rein's barrier and lack of ranged damage. I feel like she is at an awkward spot; she needs more health and a mobility tool. Giving her 200+250 shield and a speed increase with her fortify will make her more flexible as a hero.

Had a game on Gibraltar where our team couldn't move the payload 1.00 meters with 5 minutes of time remaining in order to win. Feels bad man. I was going for my 4th straight win too.

putting orisa's ult on the payload helps push them away.

also does throwing a new barrier reset the hp? and i kept throwing it at a weird angle thinking it'll turn the way i want it to lol.

Yes, they do. If you've played a lot of Zen, it should feel noticeably better.

It feels so good. I knew my shots were lined up right and I could track people, but the RNG spread would sometimes screw me over.

Especially now with Winston in the meta and Lucio not being a 100% pick all the time.

The best defense is killing everything.

Chance

Feeling like I have to play soldier or tracer when solo queing sucks.

Any time I try to play rein, mercy, ana, zarya or whatever nothing dies.

I know precisely those feels. Come out the gate as Mercy, doin' my thing... We're not making much progress so I pull my pistol and do some work for a few seconds... Instantly gold on elims and damage.

Wtf.

rulerk1

I got a message that said u suck which I'm assuming because I wasn't healing anyone. Where I was I you ask?

On the payload....

Pushing it.....

Alone....

Sigh

Fugu

since I never been to bronze and always heard about how disoriented bronze is, my speculation is to use heros that have more impact to the flow of the match if you do want to raise in ranks. Which means, getting good with good dps heros like like, soldier, pharah, roadhog. If i have to choose, I would suggest you to play pharah and try learn all the advice given from valkia's youtube video on pharah basics etc. I assume at bronze, not alot of people can shut down a decent pharah.
Make sure to learn how to maneuver with pharah in the air well. Pharah that just stay idle in the air is no different than a standing target in the ground.
People in plat can't shut down a decent Pharah. Hell, people in diamond can't do it half the time.

Anyway, I'm seconding this recommendation. I (3400 SR) played a game on my friend's account (700 SR) towards the end of last season as Pharah, just as a sort of proof-of-concept that you can, indeed, drag a team kicking and screaming to victory if you're competent enough and playing a decisive role. We had no healers and a KotH Torbjorn but still won 3-0 because I was so disruptive that the rest of my team always started engagements with an advantage. You have to get used to playing with absolutely zero healing, though; it's essential to manage health packs and learn when to leave fights.

I imagine you might be able to do this as Sombra but her lower damage output will make this tough. Your objective in low SR games is to locate vulnerable targets and eliminate them quickly before dying yourself, which is something that Sombra is capable of doing. If you can reliably give your team an advantage in team fights, you'll win.

Having said that, in your position I'd probably just stomp as Pharah until I got to a higher rank. Team cohesion is simply not a thing at that level, and Sombra is a character that really shines when the rest of the team is working with her, whereas Pharah is a character that really shines when the enemy team isn't working together.

Top Bottom