• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

If the PS4 to PS4 Pro is a 0.3333333333 step, I agree that the PS4 Pro to PS5 is a half step. 2019 is probably correct. PS4 BC is like a 15% chance.

Jolkien

What's is your assumption based on?

Just how tech advance, price go down. I highly doubt they'll sell the next baseline console (be it the ps5 or the xbox whatever after scorpio) more than 399$ that's what move a lot of unit.

Nowhere near an expert, just a guess.

ty_hot

After the Switch launch success I can see the PS5 releasing in march-april 2020. Otherwise, it will be a 2019 holiday launch.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How much would a hypothetical console that is significantly more powerful than X/Pro cost? Significant being 15TF with with a better CPU.

$699?

A better CPU is happening. 15TF AMD GPU's will be what the highest single GPU's are in 2019. Like a 7970 was to the PS4's GPU. Aka its not happening. Right now the fury X is 8.6 tflops and the strongest single GPU AMD has.

32GB would be complete overkill. It's not like the thing would be rendering 8k with assets or something. Also, MS managed to squeeze in an extra 6GB after 4 years, leaping from 8GB to 32GB seems a bit unrealistic for 2019.

As long as they're able to maintain compatibility, sounds cool to me.

They can't run with Jaguar again under any circumstances.

A better CPU is happening. 15TF GPU's will be what the highest single GPU's are in 2019. Like a 7970 was to the PS4's GPU. Aka its not happening.

You really think so? We already up to 11.5 now. I could see a Nvidia GPU at 18-20TF by late 2019. I know AMD is well behind them so it doesn't mean much for PS4 though.

I would hope PS5 would have about 12TF to run 4K with no compromises.

Cerny said at least 8TF for true 4k, so I expect at least that.

Then they can also say for marketting "double performance of PS4 Pro".

daman824

In two or three years ? Most likely 399$
Lol no

Patcher is probably right. Xb1x is coming later this year (4 years after 4 and xb1 base) at 6tf/12gbram/jaguar for $499.

Getting near twice the flops, better/more ram, and a significantly better CPU + a small case in 2/3 years at $399? No.

I'm guessing around 7 or 8tf, 12-16gb of ram, and a new CPU at $399 in 19/20.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
20% of total sales since it launched in November.

I think one thing these discussions needs to clarify when talking about the power uplift is whether people are using the Pro or the Base model as the power baseline.

Using the Base, going from 1.8TF to 10TF is a 5.5x power increase, using the Pro it's a 2.3 increase, essentially making the 'PS5' the same power step up as the Pro (at least in GPU terms - this doesn't include any benefits using Ryzen or custom components bring).

PS3 - PS4 was 4.5x uplift on GPU, so if Sony are using the Base model as their starting point for PS5, a 10TF machine in 2019 isn't an outside bet, and again CPU improvements driven by VR (something I've mentioned previously as being a potentially major design consideration for PS5) mean that even a 10TF console will be significantly more flexible in power for devs than the 2.3x over the Pro specs indicate.

Surely you must be talking about the timing here I assume.

Cerny's take on what 4K truly requires seems to suggest a 10-12 TF machine and likely a much improved CPU. Nothing really half step about that, especially compared to base PS4.

I think the mid gen refreshes are gonna give some folks higher expectations for next gen. Especially the XBO X.

I agree with both of these posts tho.

They aren't going to go with Jaguar again. Hell, I don't think AMD woudl even care to make another jag derived chip.

My thought is it's going to be Zen based probably off the AMD Pinnacle Ridge line of APU's, or at least, the laptop/mobile versions of those chips.

Memento

I think it is not going to be a half step at all. I expect 10-13TFLOPs and a much better CPU. That alone will be a generation leap. And then of course you have to take in mind that PS5 will have exclusive games, so unlike Pro it wont be held back by PS4.

I also think it is going to be 2020, not 2019. Backward compatibility is a given imo.

Doesn't this fly in the face of what Cerny said? Didn't he say that the next gen system would not be compatible with the previous PlayStation?

That stance could change tomorrow if Cerny's bosses wanted to. NeoGaf really, really hates the idea of there not being hard reset generations but clearly the industry is headed that way. I think it would be really hard for Sony or Microsoft to pitch the huge AAA third parties on another hard reset of their install base in the face of dev costs that are continuing to skyrocket.

rrs

I see PS5 improvements more in the CPU side than GPU, and 100% ps4 pro compatible with forced high quality texture filtering ala Xbox One X
Honest question, can we expect 240fps in 2019 without an overly expensive machine?
HDMI 2.1 doesn't seem to support 240Hz native so whatever VR things might either use some pushed through HDMI 2.2 or some half-spec custom 1080p/240 setting through 2.1 48 Gb cables. Honestly, I see variable refresh being the big VR QoL improvement than 240 Hz but the nicest VR stuff I've used was Oculus DK2

daman824

I think it is not going to be a half step at all. I expect 10-13TFLOPs and a much better CPU. That alone will be a generation leap. And then of course you have to take in mind that PS5 will have exclusive games, so unlike Pro it wont be held back by PS4.

I also think it is going to be 2020, not 2019. Backward compatibility is a given imo.
No way, a console releasing late 2017 has 6tf and a weak jaguar CPU and is still launching at $500. No way we're getting a system that has over twice the gpu AND CPU power three years later at a lower price.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It feels like 2019 or 2020 would still be way too early for a PS5.

Like, pretty much all the big games that the PS4 was hyped up with or expected to have back in 2013 have all barely just come out, not out yet, or are outright vaporware. That's something that can and will hurt a PS5 that comes out too soon.

And PSVR isn't even a year old yet.
You think 6-7 years between consoles is "too early"? Dude no. Sony, liberate us from this Jaguar wasteland :(

Duxxy3

Still going with my idea that it'll be 8ish tflops. Ryzen based processor. 16GB of ram.

Basically double the overall capability of the PS4 pro, and almost 5 times that of the regular PS4.

But it will come out at $499 and won't really harm mainstream PS4 sales. Especially considering how the majority of games are still playable on a regular, cheapo, PS4.

not saying this to start a fight, but could anyone tell me what it is about pachter that made him a sort of high profile video game analyst? is it just because he's one of the only full time "analysts" with a media presence?

i feel like i've been hearing about him for a decade at this point, but never really learned anything about him other than 1) he makes predictions and 2) it's sort of funny how much he misses the mark sometimes.

was there ever a point when pachter was consistently correct in his commentary or predictions? is he actually right most of the time and i'm just being ignorant because my perspective is informed by only reading gaf posts about him?

edit: also to actually contribute to the thread, i feel like he's probably right here but hopefully it won't be called "ps5." that would be kind of confusing for a half-step console.

Mikey Jr.

I really hope they make it really powerful to run TRUE 4K.

That way, developers can say "fuck this 4k shit" and then run everything at 1080/60.

Even use checkerboard, but run at 60fps still. Checkerboard seems to be a good middle.

rrs

I really hope they make it really powerful to run TRUE 4K.

That way, developers can say "fuck this 4k shit" and then run everything at 1080/60.

Even use checkerboard, but run at 60fps still. Checkerboard seems to be a good middle.
I hate to say this, but 60 FPS doesn't sell AAA nearly as well as more pretty graphics and tricks to make 30 FPS look smooth

Still going with my idea that it'll be 8ish tflops. Ryzen based processor. 16GB of ram.

Basically double the overall capability of the PS4 pro, and almost 5 times that of the regular PS4.

But it will come out at $499 and won't really harm mainstream PS4 sales. Especially considering how the majority of games are still playable on a regular, cheapo, PS4.

What? When PS5 comes out Sony first party studios will be making games exclusively for it. PS4 and PS4 Pro will be legacy consoles at that point. Also there is no way it going to be only 8TF and $499. That would be pitiful.

kyser73

He's saying the PS4 Pro to PS5 power gap would be similar to that of the PS4 Pro and the original PS4, which it probably will be. GAF seems to be convinced that the PS5 is going to deliver the generational leap we're used to but also release 2-3 years after the PS4 Pro.

Full step from Base
Half-step from Pro

Inuhanyou

You really think so? We already up to 11.5 now. I could see a Nvidia GPU at 18-20TF by late 2019. I know AMD is well behind them so it doesn't mean much for PS4 though.

Considering even at 7nm Sony has to contend with 16GB of GDDR6 or HBM in addition to the CPU, and balancing out the GPU has to take a priority for them with an APU, so i think 10tflops is right around that point.

And considering Cerny thinks running all current gen games at 4K easily(at console settings of course) would need 8tflops, an extra 2 is more than enough.

Inuhanyou

No way, a console releasing late 2017 has 6tf and a weak jaguar CPU and is still launching at $500. No way we're getting a system that has over twice the gpu AND CPU power three years later at a lower price.

7nm and architectural improvements are inevitable.

A Zen 3 CPU at 7nm in an APU will likely not cost much more, or take up much more space than jaguar does right now. GPU advancements as well at 7nm are doable in 2 to 3 years for Sony to hit 399$.

Keeping Jaguar for BC.

Jaguar is never being used by a console again after XB1X, you heard it here first

thuway

Consoles are more than numbers and the PS5 needs to be able to render or introduce some sort of feat that directly draws a line in the sand.

Cerny himself has mentioned its not about the power, but what the power enables the developers to do.

I see the PS5 as the next shift towards techniques considered too resource heavy for this generation. Universal global illumination, primitive voxel based rendering, higher fidelity ambient occlusion techniques, etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

12tf with roughly 700gb/s of RAM bandwith and a Ryzen CPU of 3.2GHz or better (8 cores/16 threads) would be a very nice baseline for next gen. Really hoping they get there.

That said, if the 12tf figure can't be reached I hope they focus on the CPU.

Honestly if more games use temporal injection like Spider-Man does an 8tf GPU would probably be enough to run that at 60fps when paired with a proper CPU. I certainly wouldn't be complaining about that level of fidelity and performance.

12tf with roughly 700gb/s of RAM bandwith and a Ryzen CPU of 3.2GHz or better (8 cores/16 threads) would be a very nice baseline for next gen. Really hoping they get there.

That said, if the 12tf figure can't be reached I hope they focus on the CPU.

Honestly if more games use temporal injection like Spider-Man does an 8tf GPU would probably be enough to run that at 60fps when paired with a proper CPU. I certainly wouldn't be complaining about that level of fidelity and performance.

Could you price those specs at 399.99?

kyser73

Consoles are more than numbers and the PS5 needs to be able to render or introduce some sort of feat that directly draws a line in the sand.

Cerny himself has mentioned its not about the power, but what the power enables the developers to do.

I see the PS5 as the next shift towards techniques considered too resource heavy for this generation. Universal global illumination, primitive voxel based rendering, higher fidelity ambient occlusion techniques, etc.

Yeah, I was just reviewing the Eurogamer PS4 Pro pre-launch article, and there's a sidebar with a list of custom features.

The X1X is also awash with this kind of custom hardware featureset, so I fully expect a PS5 to deliver more than the basic numbers suggest.

BigEmil

GPU upgrades are no longer that much important, what is more important this time is just CPU and RAM. Lots of RAM can lead to faster loadings and other stuff plus a better CPU won't bottleneck the RAM and GPU as much as Jaguar is

All I'm gonna say is PS5 better be doing 4K on all games. Would be embarrassing for Sony if the One X was outperforming their next gen console.

BigEmil

All I'm gonna say is PS5 better be doing 4K on all games. Would be embarrassing for Sony if the One X was outperforming their next gen console.
Fuck 4k. 1080p 60fps all day.

Or 1080p 30fps but with VERY high visual fidelity.

More pixels will just compromise and hold back the game it's a waste we need next-gen leaps of gaming not pixels

bitbydeath

32GB would be complete overkill. It's not like the thing would be rendering 8k with assets or something. Also, MS managed to squeeze in an extra 6GB after 4 years, leaping from 8GB to 32GB seems a bit unrealistic for 2019.

As long as they're able to maintain compatibility, sounds cool to me.

Maybe, 16 doesn't sound like enough though.

Renekton

Are you saying they need a Mode 7?

Fredrik

Cerny said at least 8TF for true 4k, so I expect at least that.

Then they can also say for marketting "double performance of PS4 Pro".
Only 2TF higher than XB1X, 2 years later? Seems too low imo, and you'd barely notice that jump which would be a hard sell if it's supposed to be a completely new gen starting from scratch with the installed base.

I'm thinking things will advance about 2TF per year, at least, so it'll be about 10TF by 2019 since XB1X is 6TF this year, and 12TF if they go with a 2020 launch. 14TF for XB2 in 2021.

2016 - PS4 Pro - 4TF
2017 - XB1X - 6TF
2019 - PS5 - 10TF
2021 - XB2 - 14TF
2022 - PS5 Pro - 16TF

Something like that. Unless they go up in price, then anything could happen.

Top Bottom