• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

AmyS

So then, PS5 in Fall 2020 it is, and will be a true generational leap from PS4 and even PS4 Pro.

The only thing Pachter can be right about is backwards compatibility with PS4.

Edit:

As for 240 frames per second, Sony has already "been there, done that" with a Gran Turismo 5 demo running on four PlayStation3s back in 2008.

The GT5 demo was capable of doing 1080p at 240fps, on a FED (Field Emissions Display) screen, or alternatively, native 4K / 2160p at 60fps.

https://www.geek.com/games/gran-turismo-5-shown-off-at-240-fps-and-in-2160p-resolution-628782/
http://kotaku.com/5093592/gran-turismo-5-prologue-running-at-240-fps--3840x2160-resolution
http://gizmodo.com/5094334/ps3-tech-demo-runs-gran-turismo-5-in-2160p-or-240-fps
https://www.slashgear.com/fed-display-runs-gran-turismo-5-at-240fps-with-no-motion-blur-2023546/
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2008/11/19/sony-shows-off-gran-turismo-5-at-240fps-on-a-fed-display/

8iHZhsm.jpg

BsMB6p7.jpg

What's the team a Polyphony Digital doing besides finishing their upcoming Gran Turismo 5 racing simulator? Making some crazy ass tech demos with four PlayStation 3s hooked together to share rendering time. Not only can four PS3s create a 2160p image (that's four 1080p images for a resolution of 3840x2160 blasted on Sony's 4K projector), they can create one single 1080p image that runs at 240 FPS.

RSBf79r.jpg

The Ultra-Real, 240fps Demonstration

The other display was a playable demonstration on a Nano-Spindt FED / Field Emissions Display developed by Sony, with a frame rate of 240fps (240 frames per second).

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has already achieved a frame rate of 60p (progressive), but in this demo, Gran Turismo was made playable at four times this frame rate at 240fps.

The SXRD demonstration described above used four PS3's to improve image quality, but this used the same to increase the frame rate.

The display used in this demonstration was the 19 inch nano-Spindt FED screen produced by FE Technologies, who is a company that has taken over the development of the FED technology that was being developed at Sony. This display contains over 10,000 electron sources called the nano-spindt emitter, per pixcel. A fluorescent substance is exposed to the electrons from the emitters to produce light, and this format is very close to a cathode-ray tube in principle. The resulting view angle is wider in comparison to a LCD panel, and it shows superior performance when displaying moving images, with no blurring of the outline.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090107034158/http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

Head.spawn

Only 2TF higher than XB1X, 2 years later? Seems too low imo, and you'd barely notice that jump which would be a hard sell if it's supposed to be a completely new gen starting from scratch with the installed base.

I'm thinking things will advance about 2TF per year, at least, so it'll be about 10TF by 2019 since XB1X is 6TF this year, and 12TF if they go with a 2020 launch. 14TF for XB2 in 2021.

2016 - PS4 Pro - 4TF
2017 - XB1X - 6TF
2019 - PS5 - 10TF
2021 - XB2 - 14TF
2022 - PS5 Pro - 16TF

Something like that. Unless they go up in price, then anything could happen.

Take into consideration, Xbox One X needed to price itself at $499 to get the tech they wanted out there and that is at cost.. how much are we expecting an Xbox One X to run them in 2018 and 2019? I feel like that was MS's intention to push something out of the typical price range so that a device coming out the following year or the year after that would need to punch harder to compete in the typical price range ($399) to look like a decent jump.

David___

Banned
So then, PS5 in Fall 2020 it is, and will be a true generational leap from PS4 and even PS4 Pro.

The only thing Pachter can be right about is backwards compatibility with PS4.

Edit:

As for 240 frames per second, Sony has already "been there, done that" with a Gran Turismo 5 demo running on four PlayStation3s back in 2008.

https://www.geek.com/games/gran-turismo-5-shown-off-at-240-fps-and-in-2160p-resolution-628782/
http://kotaku.com/5093592/gran-turismo-5-prologue-running-at-240-fps--3840x2160-resolution
http://gizmodo.com/5094334/ps3-tech-demo-runs-gran-turismo-5-in-2160p-or-240-fps
https://www.slashgear.com/fed-display-runs-gran-turismo-5-at-240fps-with-no-motion-blur-2023546/

8iHZhsm.jpg
BsMB6p7.jpg

The demo was capable of doing 1080p at 240fps, or alternatively, native 4K / 2160p at 60fps.

RAHhR78.jpg

That's pretty much like PS3's in quad sli, but instead of just 4 gpus together its the all 4 systems working together right?

Blanquito

I mean, really, 2019 has been what I've been thinking for awhile. You release a mid-gen upgrade 3 years in, and then the next console doesn't come out for... 4/5 more years? That doesn't make sense. If you're planning 2020 or later, you wait an extra year for your mid-gen upgrade.

Well broken clocks and all that.

Hmm :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All I'm gonna say is PS5 better be doing 4K on all games. Would be embarrassing for Sony if the One X was outperforming their next gen console.

not gonna happen. XB1X doesnt even do 4K for all titles. When we're talking about next gen titles, expecting 4K in all scenarios makes no sense, i expect plenty of devs to skimp on resolution.

AmyS

Hehe, a 20 TeraFlop PS5 would be a "half-step" to Tim Sweeney's target 40 TFLOPs for photorealistic graphics combined with fully dynamic environments and characters.

Do you think that we'll ever approach photo-realistic graphics? If so, when, and how many Teraflops do you think we'll need?

You know, we're getting to the point now where we can render photo-realistic static scenes without humans with static lighting. Today's hardware can do that, so part of that problem is solved. Getting to the point of photo-realistic dynamic environments, especially with very advanced shading models like wet scenes, or reflective scenes, or anisotropic paint, though...maybe forty Teraflops is the level where we can achieve all of that.

It's all good :p

barit

As long as Mark Cerny walks on a stage and explains me why I need a half stepped PS5 in my life everything will be fine.

kyser73

I really hate that we have this artificial price wall for consoles. No other tech is constrained like that.

Because most other electronic goods - brown, white, mobile devices - are frequently purchased on credit or the true cost of the item is obscured by a hire contract.

If yo look at price bands for TVs, for example, while there isn't a price wall there is most definitely a top line price between low-medium & high volume sales. Console makers don't have the luxury of being able to scale their products ranges the way you can a TV, so initial price-point weighs heavier plus the long-term success of s console is currently mole toy reliant on software, which will only be developed if audience projections make the investment worthwhile.

Tl:dr - consoles have different pressures other CE items don't have, making initial price point far weightier.

there is no mystery anymore surely. There is no quantum leap in x86-64 or GPU technology on any roadmap.

gone are the days when Sony would turn up with an exotic new processor.

the only question is when, and that will dictate the size of the leap.

the fact that Sony released the ps4 pro has already ensured that a ps5 released on normal timescales will be a half step.

Type_Raver

I think this is the new cyclic pattern going forward. Similar to smart phones, but with a little more time between revisions, something like every 3yrs were we see a half step forward, rather than 6 year for a full step next gen console. Effectively, it will probably be the same power output at the same cost, but the only added thing is the half step forward console.

Seems to be a more progressive way, taking advantage of hardware SoC refinements/optimisations, keeping existing technology relevant for partners (AMD/Nvidia) and developers remain enthusiastic & engaged, and hopefully ensuring better and seamless backward compatibility meaning deeper libraries.

AmyS

there is no mystery anymore surely. There is no quantum leap in x86-64 or GPU technology on any roadmap.

gone are the days when Sony would turn up with an exotic new processor.

the only question is when, and that will dictate the size of the leap.

the fact that Sony released the ps4 pro has already ensured that a ps5 released on normal timescales will be a half step.

There doesn't need to be another quantum leap in x86-64 CPU technology because for PS5, going from Jaguar in PS4 to any given generation / version of Zen in PS5 will be a quantum leap, in itself.

2 half steps make a full step.

2019 can see that. If it was next year i´d think we would have heard some leaks already. At least something. Anyway, we just have to look at amd and see what they have coming up tech wise, since MS and Sony don´t just make new processors specifically for their consoles. They just use customized already existing tech. We´ll see when we can have like a 10tf box or whatever for ~400 bucks.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Who would buy a PS5 that's marginally better than a PS4 Pro though? I think that'd be stupid of Sony. I want to see games that couldn't have been done on this generation of hardware, just like how we have games that are far beyond PS3 levels of graphical achievement. I hope he's wrong.

2019 sounds plausible. A half step from PS4 Pro would be a good upgrade from base PS4 so that is likely as well. 240 fps is probably for VR so yeah, could be. PS4 backwards compatibility is a given imo.

...Well damn. A reasonable and logical prediction by Pachter. I thought I'd never see the day.

Matt

Who would buy a PS5 that's marginally better than a PS4 Pro though? I think that'd be stupid of Sony. I want to see games that couldn't have been done on this generation of hardware, just like how we have games that are far beyond PS3 levels of graphical achievement. I hope he's wrong.
No one. Nor would anyone try to sell that.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
No one. Nor would anyone try to sell that.

That's the impression that I got with the half step nonsense. I don't think PS5 will operate at normal time tables considering PS4 is still selling like crazy, has a ton of big name, AAA games in the pipeline and Pro was released not too long ago. There's too many things in place that give the idea that Pachter is wrong. Hopefully Sony realizes this and doesn't rush a PS5 to the market in response to Scorpio or anything else.

AmyS

I was also going to say, the first gen Zen (RyZen) 52% increase in IPC (instructions per cycle) is only beyond the previous generation of high-end AMD CPU architecture ( Excavator, which was the final upgrade of the Bulldozer platform). However, Jaguar to Zen should be much more than 52% (right?) nevermind what Zen 2 and Zen 3 bring to the table.

Lets play it safe and assume PS5 would use a Zen 2 based CPU in 2019. If it ends up with Zen 3 (and launches in 2020) even better, but my point is, Jaguar to Zen alone should be a massive improvement, even IF the core count (8) and clockspeed (1.6 ~ 2.1 GHz in PS4/Pro) stayed the same.

meirl

Banned

The GT5 demo was capable of doing 1080p at 240fps, on a FED (Field Emissions Display) screen, or alternatively, native 4K / 2160p at 60fps.

But you need four PS3s for that. So for PS4 you would need four PS4s: https://youtu.be/PNQcdThO4ZA

Fredrik

Take into consideration, Xbox One X needed to price itself at $499 to get the tech they wanted out there and that is at cost.. how much are we expecting an Xbox One X to run them in 2018 and 2019? I feel like that was MS's intention to push something out of the typical price range so that a device coming out the following year or the year after that would need to punch harder to compete in the typical price range ($399) to look like a decent jump.
I doubt that PS5 was in Microsoft's minds when making XB1X, seems difficult to plan that far ahead since they've probably worked on it for years.

I have no idea what triggered Pro and X tbh, people say that they're just answers to the 4K revolution, but I don't know. To me it seems strange that Sony thought it was so important to be out in 2016 that they had to deal with fake 4K and forgot UHD playback.

I'm thinking that Sony clearly rushed it and MS was just slow and maybe that the unknown Nintendo console triggered them both. No? At the time they started with the upgrades they had no idea that Nintendo would make a portable/hybrid.

Anyhow, I'm sure XB2 is already planned out and will be the answer to PS5. Only question is if they'll wait another 4 years or if they'll go with a 3 year gap like Sony to better counter PS5?

legend166

Because talking to video game journalists and creating speculatory fodder for message board fanboys isn't his job.

I see this put forward a lot, the idea that Pachter just plays the clown for the media but is really some astute analyst in the background.

I don't think it's actually the case at all l. I mean, I know picking stocks is a crapshoot at the best of times, but I don't think he's particularly great at it.

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/michael-pachter

I doubt that PS5 was in Microsoft's minds when making XB1X, seems difficult to plan that far ahead since they've probably worked on it for years.

I have no idea what triggered Pro and X tbh, people say that they're just answers to the 4K revolution, but I don't know. To me it seems strange that Sony thought it was so important to be out in 2016 that they had to deal with fake 4K and forgot UHD playback.

If Patcher is right, then it makes perfect sense that Pro had to be out last year and not this year.

If PS4 Pro is this year instead, that means the gap between Pro and PS5 is two years, whereas the gap between PS4 and Pro is four years.

Top Bottom