• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paid Skyrim mods being removed from Steam

BY2K

Membero Americo
Those paid mods aren't going away forever. They'll come back with the first mod friendly Source 2 game, calling it.

Sijil

Patreon disagrees.

I'm seeing more and more youtubers turning to Patreon nowadays.

With Pateron people are paying up front for content that isn't made yet, same with kickstarter, without the money the content they want will never be made.

With donations, the content is already there for free dropping the incentive to pay considerably, making the modders rely purely on goodwill and Humans are selfish. Heck Durante who fixed Dark Souls could only muster 0.17% donations.

Ruff

We've only bought some time. The time of microtransactional mods and giving developers money to fix their own games will come sooner or later.

Skux

Making money from playing video games and shouting expletives on camera = OK
Making money from high-quality, highly-technical content for videogames that extends the life of your games for decades = BAD

It's sickening.

You are not required to pay any money to watch a Twitch stream.

MrHoot

Ultimately, good. The execution of planning behind this was very poor. If they backed down so early, they probably didn't have much faith in it in the first place.

Honestly though, I think it should be interesting to try again but this time, make it with clear intentions, with a game that's more ready for the experiment. Everything about the implementation on the skyrim thing just felt sketchy and came out of left field, which I think is why the backlash was so violent.

I really do hope tho that we can have experiments like these in the future, with better preparation, and less pitchforks

Disgraced

That's a shame. The system needed adjustment and moderation, not cancellation.

[Edit:] Doesn't feel very victorious to me. Now we're back where we began except several people's lives have been threatened. To draw some parallels, Microsoft renouncing Xbox One's required online and Kinect debacle, now that felt "victorious for the Internet," I will admit. That was plain bad policy. This was/is an issue borne from bad policy but it's a policy that was nonetheless legitimately progressive unlike what Microsoft claimed with theirs. I don't think the people at Valve had evil, diabolical, greedy intentions, I think they're merely grossly presumptuous and slightly incompetent. Sure, they're out to profit. But the bottom line is, modders have a right to compensation, and it'd be great if they could attain it through what's probably the largest platform for their practice.

KissVibes

Banned
The part that's sickening is Valve taking a 75% cut that's intended to support the modder. That is just way too much. Why not just have a showcase of the most popular mods with a donate button nearby? That way, if people want the modder to continue to work, they can donate, and this keeps people who may not have the means to pay from getting shafted.

Well, they weren't taking a 75% cut. Valve was taking a 175% cut.

They were corrupting these modders into selling out 100% of their souls in order to make 25% of whatever monetary sum their talents made. They then split the 75% with Bethesda, which got 40% of that.

Glad Valve backtracked. Great victory for the internet at large. Hopefully, we can keep the screws tight on Valve to keep modders from being corrupted by the allure of making money forever.

Aselith

Might have something to do with them doing it for free for close to two decades now. People want modders to be compensated, but in a way that is fair, and in a way that doesn't completely destroy the community that is hallowed PC ground.

i.e. not with MY money. Let's be real the majority of the handwringing about compensation was motivated by selfishness not concern for the modders. That's why it was mostly the modding "community" getting upset not the modders themselves.

Prototype

I think the idea has potential, but not the way it was implemented.

What about just adding a donate button? That way it's free, but if you want you can give some money.

Dryk

The part that's sickening is Valve taking a 75% cut that's intended to support the modder. That is just way too much. Why not just have a showcase of the most popular mods with a donate button nearby? That way, if people want the modder to continue to work, they can donate, and this keeps people who may not have the means to pay from getting shafted.
It was set up so Valve take a 30% cut and leave the other 70% to the publisher's discretion. Bethesda was the one that decided to take 45% of that and leave 25% for the modders.

Is was a good idea, 25% to the creators was the fucked up part.

The fucked up part was the implementation midway through an established game which already has it's expectations and modding community. They cause a mess and they realized it. It will be back though for the next one. What I am really curious about is how much this possible cash cow will change modding in their future titles.

It was set up so Valve take their standard 30% cut and leave the other 70% to the publisher's discretion. Bethesda was the one that decided to take 45% of that and leave 25% for the modders.

Valve take a 75% from their own games(CSGO, TF2, Dota 2) workshop profits.

pompidu

We've only bought some time. The time of microtransactional mods and giving developers money to fix their own games will come sooner or later.

This literally the biggest issue. Trying to get money from outside help to fix their pos engine/game is a scummy move and doesn't surprise me that it was birthed by Zenimax/Bethsda

Kifimbo

Well, they weren't taking a 75% cut. Valve was taking a 175% cut.

They were corrupting these modders into selling out 100% of their souls in order to make 25% of whatever monetary sum their talents made. They then split the 75% with Bethesda, which got 40% of that.

Glad Valve backtracked. Great victory for the internet at large. Hopefully, we can keep the screws tight on Valve to keep modders from being corrupted by the allure of making money forever.

Keep on trolling.

lazygecko

You should talk to some actual modders who take donations. Ask them how much money they get.

The really popular gameplay mods generate a few hundred dollars in donations per year I'm fairly sure, from what people have disclosed to me. I have a very high ranked mod as well though it's not a gameplay one and I've made a whoppin' $22 in donations so far.

Dizzy

Banned
Yeah not gonna shit on Valve for this. They actually listened and fairly quickly too.

I could see both sides kf the argument to be honest. In an age where people get paid to sit and play games on youtube I wasnt too fussed with modders getting paid but again I could see the downsides of such a scheme too and clearly the community was very vocal about this.

Think I agree that in the short term a donation button is probably the best bet.

Sober

Well, even a failed experiment has its merits. Hopefully at the very least this either puts more prominence for donation buttons and stuff.

Or that modders themselves re-evaluate exactly what they want out of the ecosystem, because this brought out some really ugly shit on all sides.

ironcreed

Banned
We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing.

35dtNk1.gif

But seriously, good to hear.

Nzyme32

Lol @ people grateful because a company had to give in after realizing they were harming their brand.

Stockholm syndrome 101.

Who cares? A more interesting point, how often do such reversals happen so quickly. Generally these things get dragged out to the bitter end. I just think it's good it's done with - for now

HariKari

i.e. not with MY money. Let's be real the majority of the handwringing about compensation was motivated by selfishness not concern for the modders. That's why it was mostly the modding "community" getting upset not the modders themselves.

Valve just cancelled a feature they had been working on due to backlash, after outright admitting they did not properly think it through, and you're still riding the "gamers are entitled and want free stuff" train. Okay.

cdyhybrid

You mean other than all those modders on Nexus with explicit statements on their mod pages forbidding their assets' use if you were selling mods?

Coonce

Wow, Valve really owned up to making a huge mistake, although I have a feeling this isn't the last we've seen of paid mods.

Aselith

You mean other than all those modders on Nexus with explicit statements on their mod pages forbidding their assets' use if you were selling mods?

That doesn't have anything to do with what I just said so what the fuck?

Valve just cancelled a feature they had been working on due to backlash, after outright admitting they did not properly think it through, and you're still riding the "gamers are entitled and want free stuff" train. Okay.

They admitted that the implementation was poor not that modders shouldn't be able to sell their stuff and it could have been better for sure. Most of the comments have been shades of "modding was free for years but now they want to be paid!" (i.e. I don't want to pay, I want free stuff) or "the split is bad" (and this mostly from mod players not mod makers)

Gattsu25

Banned
Steam180

Didn't expect this outcome. The reaction must've been TOXIC to the Bethesda/Steam brands.

I was ambivalent on this change so no strong opinion for/against but I am heartened that these companies listened to their fans about something.

Sad for all those devs that were hoping for the revenue share but the percentages were a fucking joke.

Edit: added clarifying comment.

Top Bottom