• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 34, 2007 (BIOSHOCKED - 2nd fastest selling 360 title ever)

JunoTaksumi said:
This isn't 2004.

Uk = Wii > 360 > PS3

Actually, I was thinking more about PS2. It really seems like the 360 is snaring the PS2 hardcore and I think that's pretty surprising. At this stage system sales are really too low to draw any kind of assumptions so when a relatively niche title like BD comes along and performs so well we at least gain some understanding about the nature of the audience.

I guess you're right though, the UK is Nntendoland now, just like the rest of the gaming world.

freethought said:
Actually, I was thinking more about PS2. It really seems like the 360 is snaring the PS2 hardcore and I think that's pretty surprising. At this stage system sales are really too low to draw any kind of assumptions so when a relatively niche title like BD comes along and performs so well we at least gain some understanding about the nature of the audience.

They've also started to eat into PS2's casual sports base.

apotema

Al last this charts will start to be interesting with the new Individual Formats

Look at this: The best selling Potter and Pirates game are for Wii..... also Tiger Woods, wow 3rd parties don't sell on Nintendo systems

FrankT

It’s no shock that Take 2 claim this week’s All Formats No1 as the critically acclaimed ‘Bioshock’ becomes the 2nd fastest selling Xbox 360 game (behind Gears of War). Released on both Xbox 360 and PC, ‘Bioshock’ in particular gives Microsoft’s next-gen console a noticeable boost with 88% of sales on Xbox 360 and 12% on PC, and accounts for 58% of all Xbox 360 Full Price units sales this week.

cjelly said:
For the 360 version of Bioshock to sell 88% of all copies, and the PC version still entering at #4, it must have done absolutely crazy numbers.

Indeed, whoever it was that was thinking the PC version was going to outdo the 360 version in Euroland may have another thing coming. Go, go, go Bioshock.

pr0cs

HocusPocus said:
Japan you're next! Prepare to be BioShocked! :D
Nah, I'll be really surprised if Bioshock sells even remotely well in Japan.
not even referencing how few 360s there are sold in Japan either

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
HocusPocus said:
Japan you're next! Prepare to be BioShocked! :D

God forbid. We wouldn't want a Japanese individual to play a first person shooter. Completely disregard the fact that the game embodies countless elements from not only a variety of video game genres but also other mediums of entertainment and expression to transcend other pieces of entertainment software as a work of interactive fiction(inspiration: gamespot) -- the Japanese could care less.

In Japan, I forecast the game to break four digits... a year after its initial release.

AdmiralViscen said:
Who was it that was saying that Bioshock would do waaay better on PC than 360 in Europe?
UK != Europe. We all know that UK is a very good market for 360 and consoles in general when compared to other parts of Europe.

homez99

I'm so happy this got what it deserves, I was terribly worried, what with all these movie tie-ins and such becoming stapled to the top of the chart these days. I am now proud to be from the UK.
At least for 1 week.

This doesn't bode particularly well for the poster that reckoned HS would outsell Bioshock in the US... because it doesn't look like Bioshock is as niche as people expected it to be.

Psychotext said:
This doesn't bode particularly well for the poster that reckoned HS would outsell Bioshock in the US... because it doesn't look like Bioshock is as niche as people expected it to be.

That has to be one of the sillier ban bets I've ever seen, especially betting a perma ban on it.

Sharp

I can't imagine it selling well in Japan given that PC gaming never really took off there and Bioshock is at its core a hardcore, Western PC game. That's disregarding the fact that it's an FPS--Western RPGs haven't really taken off there either, have they?

sphinx

the piano man
Sharp said:
I can't imagine it selling well in Japan given that PC gaming never really took off there and Bioshock is at its core a hardcore, Western PC game. That's disregarding the fact that it's an FPS--Western RPGs haven't really taken off there either, have they?

Japan lives in a world of its own. They have VERY specific gaming needs that no other country or territory has.

Tamatochi corner shop million seller??, Animal Crossing past 3 million?? yeah, only in Japan.

And they have time and again shown what they don't care about:

brown,gray,black colored shooters that feel like they should have appeared on a PC instead of a console. Gears of War is exactly what japanes DO NOT want and what they stand against.

bioshock feels and looks similar, so its fate is sealed in Japan.

C.T.

oblivion sould suprisingly good in japan. IMO depends on marketing how bioshock performs. GTA sold good thx to capcom.

Mrbob

I'm glad I didn't ban bet.

I still think the PC version will outsell the 360 version over time in Europe.

Also, Bioshock has proven more popular than any of us anticipated. Anyone who predicted Bioshock to sell huge did it on blind faith alone.

Frillen

sphinx said:
Japan lives in a world of its own. They have VERY specific gaming needs that no other country or territory has.

Tamatochi corner shop million seller??, Animal Crossing past 3 million?? yeah, only in Japan.

brown,gray,black colored shooters that feel like they should have appeared on a PC instead of a console. Gears of War is exactly what japanes DO NOT want and what they stand against.

Animal Crossing has actually sold over 4.4 Mill in Japan now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mrbob said:

Also, Bioshock has proven more popular than any of us anticipated. Anyone who predicted Bioshock to sell huge did it on blind faith alone.

Er..I wouldn't say that, exactly. ;)

traveler

Not Wario
YAY!!! Go Bioshock! Grats Irrational! For once, the good guys win! :D

sphinx said:

While I agree with your prediction, Bioshock's color palette is more vibrant than tons of games, and it doesn't look similar to any other game out there. (outside of viewpoint.)

RBH

Psychotext said:

Here's the exact ban bet when it occured:

Phoenix Down said:
whats funny is this game will still prolly sell more then bioshock
WhatRuOn said:
I'll bet you a month ban.
Phoenix Down said:
how about a perma.. I can do 1 month in my sleep
WhatRuOn said:
Ok so LTD's by the time the Oct NPD's come out?
Phoenix Down said:
Nah Dec NPD will cover early november no?

Bookmark the bet... Im done dicussing it

:lol :lol :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7220423#post7220423
54mylhi.jpg

The 360 is fast approaching 20 million sellers. A great game on this console is a cinch

Mrbob

Indeed.

360 is becoming the new home for making moneys for 3rd party publishers.

360 saving true gaming for gamers worldwide. Thankfully MS is enjoying the 3rd party success they are having, because without the 360 we have another DS/PSP situation in terms of 3rd party content on consoles.

GhaleonEB

I'm glad Bioshock is doing well. I'm still relatively early in it (I think), and do have some big issues with it, but it's still the kind of game that should be successful. I'm encouraged because I want solid single-player focused games to continue to be made. This and Oblivion compliment the other MP games I own nicely.

Psychotext said:
HS is selling abysmally on Amazon.com. Bioshock preorders is outpacing it handily at the same point in thier lifetimes. Bioshock preorder stayed in the top 10 1-2 weeks before release, HS' is near the very bottom of the top 100, or even out of it.

sphinx said:

uh yea....because the japanese actually hold protests against such games and boycott such things...../rolleyes

also....bioshock does not feel and look similar to gears of war or a brown,gray,black colored shooter.

Raist

Banned
pswii60 said:
Most Americans don't even know where the UK is. They think it's next to Iraq or something. Unfortunately, we are actually next to France.

Yeah, unfortunately you're just next to us :p

Phife Dawg said:
UK != Europe. We all know that UK is a very good market for 360 and consoles in general when compared to other parts of Europe.
But, the UK makes up 35-40% of the total European videogame sales, so having 88% of the UK Bioshock sales be from the 360 version makes it VERY likely that overall, the #1 selling version in all of Europe will be the 360 one.

If we assume Uk is just 35% of European sales, than for PC to be the #1 selling version overall in Europe, it would require 70.45% of Bioshock's sales in the rest of Europe to be the PC version, which I highly doubt.

In terms of Heavenly Sword vs Bioshock, I'd bet that Bioshock 360 ends up selling 3-4 times as many copies as HS over its lifetime, worldwide.

Phife Dawg said:

It sold 700% better in the market that makes up like 35% of Europe. I think it's ok to say it will do better than the PC version.

titiklabingapat said:
HS is selling abysmally on Amazon.com. Bioshock preorders is outpacing it handily at the same point in thier lifetimes. Bioshock preorder stayed in the top 10 1-2 weeks before release, HS' is near the very bottom of the top 100, or even out of it.

I thought we were over thinking Amazon.com means anything.

frankthurk said:
I thought we were over thinking Amazon.com means anything.
It's silly to think Amazon sales mean nothing, isn't it? There obviously is at least a bit of correlation between their rankings and what we see out of the NPD.

Jokeropia

Haunted One said:
RE4 on the decline :(
They had their time in the spotlight already, so it's expected, though.
RE4 actually went up and is still very much supply constrained according to UK GAFers.

Agent Icebeezy said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7220423#post7220423
54mylhi.jpg

The 360 is fast approaching 20 million sellers. A great game on this console is a cinch

Huh?

Maxwell House said:
But, the UK makes up 35-40% of the total European videogame sales, so having 88% of the UK Bioshock sales be from the 360 version makes it VERY likely that overall, the #1 selling version in all of Europe will be the 360 one.

If we assume Uk is just 35% of European sales, than for PC to be the #1 selling version overall in Europe, it would require 70.45% of Bioshock's sales in the rest of Europe to be the PC version, which I highly doubt.

In terms of Heavenly Sword vs Bioshock, I'd bet that Bioshock 360 ends up selling 3-4 times as many copies as HS over its lifetime, worldwide.

This is only true for sales in the console/handheld area, I doubt it's even nearly that much when it comes to PC gaming.

I went in to our local games shop today for a chat with a friend of mine and asked him about Bioshock in passing. He said that they sold out their entire shipment over the Bank Holiday weekend, and it wasn't a small shipment from what he was saying, and that they are now taking back orders on it since people are still coming in every day to get it. They could feasibly sell out the second lot before it even comes in. Special Editions sold out in about ten minutes of opening Friday.

And this is a shitty little southern English market town...I daren't think what the big city stores did this weekend on the game. 2k Boston and the marketers for this game need giant diamond encrusted medals for this shit. How the hell did the 'sequel' to System Shock 2 sell this many copies so quickly?

It’s no shock that Take 2 claim this week’s All Formats No1 as the critically acclaimed ‘Bioshock’ becomes the 2nd fastest selling Xbox 360 game (behind Gears of War). Released on both Xbox 360 and PC, ‘Bioshock’ in particular gives Microsoft’s next-gen console a noticeable boost with 88% of sales on Xbox 360 and 12% on PC, and accounts for 58% of all Xbox 360 Full Price units sales this week.

Wasn't there some 360 hater proclaiming a few days ago that the PC version would rein supreme in Europe insinuating how shitty the 360 sells there? :lol

I think this proves how powerful internet review score are these days. 99% of the hype on the street for Bioshock is generated because of its stellar scores.

cultofweaver said:
How the hell did the 'sequel' to System Shock 2 sell this many copies so quickly?

Once Take Two realized they might have a big hit on their hands, they went pretty aggressive in marketing the game to the core gamer auidence and media outlets. That got the game on the radar-everyone in the press was talking about it-and then the 360 demo sort of blew the doors wide open.

Top Bottom