• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 34, 2007 (BIOSHOCKED - 2nd fastest selling 360 title ever)

Mrbob said:
I'm glad I didn't ban bet.
I still think the PC version will outsell the 360 version over time in Europe.

Also, Bioshock has proven more popular than any of us anticipated. Anyone who predicted Bioshock to sell huge did it on blind faith alone.
You should have. You deserve some kind of punishment for betting against the purchasing habits of the 360 install base. :D

Fragamemnon said:
Once Take Two realized they might have a big hit on their hands, they went pretty aggressive in marketing the game to the core gamer auidence and media outlets. That got the game on the radar-everyone in the press was talking about it-and then the 360 demo sort of blew the doors wide open.

I'd put a BioShock print ad next to a Mass Effect and Shadowrun print ad before you start doling out credit if I were you.

FrankT

Mrbob said:
I'm glad I didn't ban bet.

I still think the PC version will outsell the 360 version over time in Europe.

Also, Bioshock has proven more popular than any of us anticipated. Anyone who predicted Bioshock to sell huge did it on blind faith alone.

Anyone making faulty predictions on PC/360 titles probably shouldn't go their. There have been plenty of people that have said this title would be triple A and would sell well for numerous reasons. There have been just as many doubters, if not more, but that doesn't make there predictions anymore substantiated. The obvious reasons this title would do well have been more than apparent for over a year now.

Sharp

Odrion said:
Poor PhoenixDark. :[
Not PhoenixDark, Phoenix Down.
Jtyettis said:
Anyone making faulty predictions on PC/360 titles probably shouldn't go their. There have been plenty of people that have said this title would be triple A and would sell well for numerous reasons. There have been just as many doubters, if not more, but that doesn't make there predictions anymore substantiated. The obvious reasons this title would do well have been more than apparent for over a year now.
Really? What were those reasons again? I don't think anyone doubted Bioshock's quality, but a lot of people thought it would get caught up in the general holiday rush (this was back when it included GTA4, for starters) and particularly that people wouldn't buy another FPS, especially a single-player one, with Halo coming out so soon. It was also the spiritual successor to a game that sold poorly despite being of fantastic quality, from a developer who was known for producing fantastic games that sold poorly. Oh, and also it was supposed to be too cerebral for the average gamer, there wasn't originally going to be a demo, and there was barely any hype for it before the insane reviews started coming out.

In conclusion? Bioshock as a massive sales success was very much unexpected and there were a lot of factors working against it.

FrankT

Sharp said:
Not PhoenixDark, Phoenix Down.

Really? What were those reasons again? I don't think anyone doubted Bioshock's quality, but a lot of people thought it would get caught up in the general holiday rush (this was back when it included GTA4, for starters) and particularly that people wouldn't buy another FPS, especially a single-player one, with Halo coming out so soon. It was also the spiritual successor to a game that sold poorly despite being of fantastic quality, from a developer who was known for producing fantastic games that sold poorly. Oh, and also it was supposed to be too cerebral for the average gamer, there wasn't originally going to be a demo, and there was barely any hype for it before the insane reviews started coming out.

In conclusion? Bioshock as a massive sales success was very much unexpected and there were a lot of factors working against it.

None of the above.

Unexpected only to those who saw what they wanted to see or expected what they wanted to expect. For those who have followed this game, it was certainly more than blind faith that got Bioshock to where it is today.

AdmiralViscen said:
It sold 700% better in the market that makes up like 35% of Europe. I think it's ok to say it will do better than the PC version.
Where is that 35% number coming from? This includes PC and consoles? I somewhat doubt that.

As I said UK is a good market for consoles and X360. UK being 35% of Europe's console market sounds much more believable.

Plus there's also Steam and other forms of digital distribution to take into account.

TheRipDizz said:
It’s no shock that Take 2 claim this week’s All Formats No1 as the critically acclaimed ‘Bioshock’ becomes the 2nd fastest selling Xbox 360 game (behind Gears of War). Released on both Xbox 360 and PC, ‘Bioshock’ in particular gives Microsoft’s next-gen console a noticeable boost with 88% of sales on Xbox 360 and 12% on PC, and accounts for 58% of all Xbox 360 Full Price units sales this week.

Wasn't there some 360 hater proclaiming a few days ago that the PC version would rein supreme in Europe insinuating how shitty the 360 sells there? :lol
I know you have an agenda to begin with but anyone who has payed attention to the situation (or is actually living in Europe) knows that outside of UK X360 is not fairing well at all in the big european markets. That's as much fact as X360's good performance in UK.

Psychotext said:
So is piracy... but thankfully it seems the game hasn't been cracked yet.
That doesn't apply to PC only though. All the people I know who have been or are still owning a PS2 have pirated copies. Don't know how rampant it is with X360 but with MS shutting down Live accounts it may not be as drastic.

Brannon

Deserves every sell, and if it assures another game in the world of Rapture, I say go for it.

Still surprising though that an FPS releasing during the revving Halo hype could do so well. Impressive. Gives hope that maybe Blacksite: Area 51 will do decent.

It could happen...

Quazar

Wow how did I miss this thread. So happy to see Bioshock doing so well. And even Blue Dragon doing good? That's awesome.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Quazar said:
Wow how did I miss this thread. So happy to see Bioshock doing so well. And even Blue Dragon doing good? That's awesome.

Amazingly, you used proper grammar in the second sentence and screwed it up in the third!

BTW, I am very happy, although not stunned at all by this news. The positive buzz surrounding this title is immense. Here's to Bioshock beating out Madden on PS3 in August' NPD...

Sharp

AlteredBeast said:
Amazingly, you used proper grammar in the second sentence and screwed it up in the third!

BTW, I am very happy, although not stunned at all by this news. The positive buzz surrounding this title is immense. Here's to Bioshock beating out Madden on PS3 in August' NPD...
Not a prayer, unfortunately.

Edit: Oh, you said PS3. Never mind then.

Nolan. said:
Also Forza2 droped like a rock. Anyway i'm really interested to see Blue Dragons debut state side I don't expect much but if it's at least better than Tenchu Z that would be hopeful. And whats with this ''second only to gears'' thing about. Whatgame apart from Halo 3 will push that game out. I thought bioshock would do it.

Eh, it was obvious. No way I'd ever buy a simulator with no cockpit view, I hope it sinks like lead so that Turn 10 gets a clue and includes a cockpit view instead of a car painting minigame in Forza 3.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The sales for Forza 2 were frontloaded if there ever was a game to do so. It was number 1 for a couple weeks, hung around top ten for another few weeks after and is only now sinking, although being number one for a few weeks meant it definitely sold well...

syllogism

tahrikmili said:
Really curious about how many copies Bioshock sold on the 360 and PC respectively, PC Def Force would go apeshit nuts.

They would have to include Steam sales, which isn't happening. 2K might include them in their inevitable press release. I don't think PC "defense force" really cares about sales numbers though. The game wasn't really dumbed down so as long as the game sells well enough on PC to keep the sequels multiplatform, healthy 360 numbers is good news.

Brakara

AlteredBeast said:
The sales for Forza 2 were frontloaded if there ever was a game to do so. It was number 1 for a couple weeks, hung around top ten for another few weeks after and is only now sinking, although being number one for a few weeks meant it definitely sold well...

Yeah, I guess some people are forgetting that it was released 3 months ago.

AlteredBeast said:
IMO MS should pack in forza 2 for Europe this would help them with sales and build up the franchise. I always find it odd that console makers do not pack in a game considering its pretty cheap to do that and is a perfect way of building up a new good franchise ( Forza, Viva Pinata )

Tieno

devilscallmedad said:
IMO MS should pack in forza 2 for Europe this would help them with sales and build up the franchise. I always find it odd that console makers do not pack in a game considering its pretty cheap to do that and is a perfect way of building up a new good franchise ( Forza, Viva Pinata )
I've seen 360 Forza 2 packs in stores almost since the game came out here in Belgium.

Vagabundo

Im buying it for the PC, it is selling for €39.49 online and €47 in the shops. The 360 version is €74 in the shops.

Unreal price difference. And I get a better version (KB+M).

Haunted

Jokeropia said:
RE4 actually went up and is still very much supply constrained according to UK GAFers.
yay! damnit Capcom, make more units before the fall onslaught of great games.

DefectiveReject said:
When a sales thread in PAL or Japan is artificially inflated you KNOW what's going down before you even enter the thread!
Don't be so bitter now. Let people have fun once in a while. It's the only time that sales actually matter so sales age people(i.e. Nintendo fans) get to have some validation, too.

toypop

HocusPocus said:
Japan you're next! Prepare to be BioShocked! :D

Keep in mind, I'm Bioshocked when I found MSKK doesn't provide Demo on Japanese XBL. :lol
90% of potential buyers in Japan already got their imported US copies or playing with their leet PCs, and it won't show up in the Japanese charts as usual, like DeadRising and Gears.

Vagabundo said:
Im buying it for the PC, it is selling for €39.49 online and €47 in the shops. The 360 version is €74 in the shops.

Justified price difference. Because I get a shitty version (paranoid DRM).

FIXED

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very-well deserved score - just grabbed the LE yesterday, and I was up all night with it - simply brilliant...

And not too shabby for Blue Dragon as well either - nice!

pswii60 said:
Yes Jammy, we can always count on you to show us how much better the Wii is performing in comparison to the PS3.

Ya... if his comparisons are anything like DS & PSP sales, you can expect it for a full couple of years even after it becomes a full blow-out.

Wow, hot breaking news! DS has outsold PSP 10:1 this week, world-wide!

Based on shipment figures from a banned site. Treat as bullshit but posting to give an idea of some games that could potentially be above a million.

Gears of War - 4.38
Call of Duty 2 - 2.04
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - 2.00
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 1.71
Madden NFL 07 - 1.67
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six: Vegas - 1.62
Call of Duty 3 Activision - 1.59
Fight Night Round 3 - 1.43
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - 1.41
Dead Rising - 1.26
Crackdown - 1.23
Perfect Dark Zero - 1.20