• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld dev says journalist talk of player dropoff is 'lazy' and it is fine to stop playing once you complete it, unlike most GAAS games

Draugoth

Gold Member
A Palworld dev has commented on the various media outlets posting about Palworld losing numbers:

sfcpg2felmic1.png

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Was journalist talk of every CCU record being broken also “lazy”?

That was also in the moment coverage as it happened, same as now. If you were fine with it then you should be fine with it now.

All that said, Palworld still has 700,000+ players daily, it’s obviously still doing amazingly well, just not as lightning in a bottle well as it was before.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

That was also in the moment coverage as it happened, same as now. If you were fine with it then you should be fine with it now.

All that said, Palworld still has 700,000+ players daily, it’s obviously still doing amazingly well, just not as lightning in a bottle well as it was before.

The two aren't equal at all. One is an achievement/milestone. The other is fear-mongering.

Last edited:

SCB3

Exactly, what many GaaS games fail to do is say thats ok to take breaks FOMO is a curse and has ruined a lot of them, Halo is the one I always point out of how to do a BP for example, can take your time, and do it when YOU want, not when the devs want

Case in point, I stopped on Palworld because a lot of games came out in the last month or so that I wanted to play, I hopped on earlier for a bit and everything was there waiting for me, games like this and Valhiem are perfect example of how to handle play retention so far

Saber

Gold Member
Most of GaaS use dirty cheap tricks to create a FOMOS effect on the player, like creating a specific days for xp, to winning only money tokens, exclusive itens/costumes, etc. In this case people just stop playing either because theres new games or simply taken abreak since there isn't much left.

Ozriel

M$FT
He’s 100% right though. When you look at the reviews (93% positive right now) you see how well the game’s been received. Game’s still in Early Access, and Player count will rise with each big content drop. And they’re staffing up for more content.

If they’re smart, they’re thinking of merchandise and stuff to scoop up even more cash.

Shut0wen

Said this about the last thread of starfield, literally means nothing if its a single player game or an early preview game not only is it lazy on journos part but even for people on here its literally pointless information and means nothing, if its a GAAS then yeah its a different story but palworld isnt even that, game isnt even completed

Ozriel

M$FT
eYWWkc6.jpg

Yep, nothing in common whatsoever.

Do you even know what ‘reskin’ means?

We'll see if they still singing the same tune when the fad eventually dies off..
Pokemon with guns will only get you so far.

Seems they're too busy ripping off another game, hollowknight but rogue like, so we'll see.

93% positive rating on Steam. Users love what they’ve played. Sales are spectacular. But content limits will definitely show up for a game in early access.

every metric for success with this game has been significantly exceeded. Seems like that’s a hard pill for some of you to swallow.

I dunno. Early access and “pal world only really begins from here”, yet everyone is already finished with your game.

I mean, I guess bravo to them for managing to secure everyone’s money before even “really beginning” the game, but I would never have any part of this.

There should be a distinction made for GaaS games that you pay for up front, and actually have an ending. If this does have one. idk.

It's the free ones with all the gacha where player drop off is a big deal.

Kenpachii

Do you even know what ‘reskin’ means?

93% positive rating on Steam. Users love what they’ve played. Sales are spectacular. But content limits will definitely show up for a game in early access.

every metric for success with this game has been significantly exceeded. Seems like that’s a hard pill for some of you to swallow.

Pretty much some people just hate the fact this game is successful for some reason.

Embearded

He is right.
I would also like to point out that some GaaS (looking at you Diablo), had "balancing" updates that made progression harder just to keep the players online so they can look at the shop and spend 20$ on a costume.

No thanks, i'd rather see the end credits and get a screen with the roadmap.

CeeJay

eYWWkc6.jpg

Yep, nothing in common whatsoever.
Plays nothing like though.

It might look similar sure. Similar to how COD and Battlefield look similar or Doom guy and Master Chief or Pokemon and Dragon Quest. No one tries to dismiss those games entirely simply because they look similar? Just because Nintendo love to cease and desist anything they can doesn't mean you have to also fight that battle too. Palworld is fun to play, more fun than Pokemon and also copies bits from many other games such as Elden Ring, Minecraft, ARK, Rust, Zelda and it even stole the Metal Gear Solid alert sound. The game is fun, respects the players time and is refreshing in a sea of games that are out to squeeze as much money out of people as possible. This quote from the developer mirrors that refreshing outlook and sticks a middle finger up at what has become the norm in gaming these days.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Not really. CCU records being broken is newsworthy. Reporting on numbers going down is also fine, in and of itself. However, trying to spin that as something out of the ordinary for a $30 non-GaaS is the lazy part. It's a false equivalence.

Ribi

We'll see if they still singing the same tune when the fad eventually dies off..
Pokemon with guns will only get you so far.

Seems they're too busy ripping off another game, hollowknight but rogue like, so we'll see.
not agreed, I reckon the game will not be dead in a month at this rate

Last edited:

StueyDuck

agreed, I reckon the game will be dead in a month at this rate
numbers don't lie,

although i could ask the magic pixies in fairy land. they have some pretty strong but dumb opinions, they get hardons for pals.

Last edited:

Ribi

numbers don't lie,

although i could ask the magic pixies in fairy land. they have some pretty strong but dumb opinions, they get hardons for pals.
100% the game is not a fad, I'm not willing to be it'll be below like sixty thousand or something within the month. Palfurries are the worst and dont even realize the game is not already dead.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

100% the game is a fad, I'm willing to be it'll be below like sixty thousand or something within the month. Palfurries are the worst and dont even realize the game is already dead.
i do know some crazy people who think it's like the best thing ever and get really upset and offended if you dare say it might drop in some players (like the numbers are saying, another 100,000 players down in like 3 days).

again though, those crazy people with their weird pal kinks, never can see logic.

Ozriel

M$FT
i do know some crazy people who think it's like the best thing ever and get really upset and offended if you dare say it might drop in some players (like the numbers are saying, another 100,000 players down in like 3 days).

again though, those crazy people with their weird pal kinks, never can see logic.

I think it’s more you showing up in every Palworld thread to vent and mutter darkly about the game being a ‘fad’ that would soon die.

100% the game is a fad, I'm willing to be it'll be below like sixty thousand or something within the month. Palfurries are the worst and dont even realize the game is already dead.

Half a million people were playing it at the same time within the last 24 hours. Total number of unique players would naturally be much higher than this.
Amazing stats for a ‘dead’ game 🤣

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Lazy devs calling lazy journalists lazy
This is some next level lazy town shit

Ribi

Half a million people were playing it at the same time within the last 24 hours. Total number of unique players would naturally be much higher than this.
Amazing stats for a ‘dead’ game 🤣
shh the other idiot im agreeing with doesnt realize who i am.

StueyDuck

shh the other idiot im agreeing with doesnt realize who i am.
aaaah i know that idiot, he's the one who can't read a simple number graph and see that numbers going down is a trend, i know that clown too, gets his socks off staring at some pal34

Ribi

I'm glad we both agree that the person who couldn't understand simple math... was an idiot 😉.
ye you should really enroll in a remedial math class for that.

Game will still be over 60k daily peek in a month, take the bet.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

ye you should really enroll in a remedial math class for that.
I agree that person who couldn't read a simple graph probably needs to go to remedial math class.

Can you believe they thought a numbers going down over time was good 🤣 honestly I haven't laughed like that in years. And this person considers themselves a functioning adult. Like I said they clearly live in imagination land.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The Palworld drama is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen in all my years of gaming. I still have no idea what the actual drama is, but it seems like people were big mad that a pokemon clone with guns was performing well?

AREYOUOKAY?

Better that then being forced to play a game every single day with fomo battlepasses.

I could take a month or so break from it and I wouldn’t miss a thing.

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

The devs are right it is lazy but even worse it's misleading. Single-player games don't "lose" players unless gamers refund the game. Concurrent player count is a meaningless metric for single-player games weeks after launch. All single-player games will have a massive dropoff of concurrent players once most players either complete the game or burn through all the content and move on to something else.

Top Bottom