• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale Network Bullshit: "Star Fox Metroid: Fusion Saga" isn't real (no shit!)

You haven't even begun to grasp the true meaning of creepy furry fanart:

7DAHE.jpg

Actual screenshots, scout's honor.

mygod.gif

The story is only the reason I played Command, since the gameplay kind of sucked ass. I'm sure I'm not the only who thought that way.

That being said, Dylan Cuthbert, he coming a programming background (one of the two original programmers of the tech demo that became Starfox), would say something like that.

So you are saying you bought the game for a mediocre story that was not taking itself seriously (even if some crazy fans think so) and of a series where the 2 good games that all people remember have a funny and not important story?

Man, opinions are opinions, and if you thought the story was great, good for you, but please, never try to write a story.

Myself, I wanted a handheld Star Fox and just bought it and play it without reading any reviews or anything like that, Dylan Cuthbert was on board and I thought it was going to be great. It was not BUT I dont found it disastrous as some people have said multiple times and theres some good redeeming factors in it. Yeah it was repepetitive and a tactic starfox that very little had to do with the first or 64 (more akin to Star Fox 2), but it had some things, multiple ships to control for example with different attributes, that if added in a bigger campaign that is just like SNES and 64 would make it amzingly addictive and a longer game. There was some fun dialog here and there, some fun (not good) endings, but the story was crap and was not to be taken seriously.

apana

The Star Fox Team breaks through the parrot armada only to find a massive unknown ship being torn apart by some toxic substance. Only Samus can approach, so they attach her to Fox's ship and he drops her in. From there you as Samus are on your own, exploring the ruins. Eventually you find a gigantic creature feeding on the ship for energy and as he begins to attack, Rob 64 breaks through the exterior with Great Fox's laser cannons. The Starfox crew enters and you now have to take on the boss together, with them flying around and you on land. You can choose either Samus or Fox's perspective for the boss battle, that way it adds replay value.

Esura

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't see any problems with this? Some of the most interesting games were born from the most oddest ideas and concept. While I'm not that hot on Retro's games (I like Other M more than the Prime series) but I think they are good enough to make this work.

1-D_FTW

Am I the only one who doesn't see any problems with this? Some of the most interesting games were born from the most oddest ideas and concept. While I'm not that hot on Retro's games (I like Other M more than the Prime series) but I think they are good enough to make this work.

I think it could work too. It would get tanks and planes into the online combat portion. And for the single-player, Star Fox is too shallow to be a stand-alone 60 dollar game anymore. But it would be great side missions for combat (and something taking place in space should always have these type of battles).

Mael

The only reason this would exist is if Nintendo wanted absolute, concrete proof to kill both franchises forever. Destroy any semblance of loyalty and interest remaining from both fan bases, and send the game to die in a market that won't buy it.

Genius, really.

They actually tried that for Metroid 2 years ago...

Effect

If this is true maybe they think on their own the two series can't be successful enough. Which could be very true. There isn't enough variety when taken by themselves. Adding them together exposes one group of fans of one IP to the the other IP and the other way around. So instead of trying to shoe horn in one type of gamplay into either IP where it might fit or look right just combine them so they're more natural. Don't want on the ground Star Fox? Fine you have Metroid style combat possibly ala Metroid Prime. Does rail shooter like combat in Metroid sound bizarre? Then here is your Star Fox stages. Not seeing a problem with this in the end.

The only thing that I would worry about is how they're going to make the two universes fit together. It can be done. Outside of them being animals has the Star Fox universe ever come off goofy in a way that it's content couldn't work in the Metroid Universe as shown in the various games?

I'm honestly asking this as I have more experience with Metroid then I do Star Fox.

Pociask

COMING WINTER 2012

NINTENDO: BOUNTY HUNTERS

SAMUS ARAN and CAPTAIN FALCON are in a corridor, dodging a hail of blaster fire.

CF: This could be the end, Samus!

SA: Don't be a baby - I've called in air support!

Quick pan to overhead, showing enemy fighters strafing and bombing SAMUS ARAN and CAPTAIN FALCON. Suddenly, a gigantic laser bolt destroys several enemies! Enter the Great Fox, blasting lasers and flanked by Arwings!

CF: Alright, Team Fox! Show me your moves!

Star Fox, over radio: I'm on my way!

Quick zoom out to crystal ball, showing all the action. For a quick second, we see the figure watching - GIYGAS!!!

McNum

If this is true maybe they think on their own the two series can't be successful enough. Which could be very true. There isn't enough variety when taken by themselves. Adding them together exposes one group of fans of one IP to the the other IP and the other way around. So instead of trying to shoe horn in one type of gamplay into either IP where it might fit or look right just combine them so they're more natural. Don't want on the ground Star Fox? Fine you have Metroid style combat possibly ala Metroid Prime. Does rail shooter like combat in Metroid sound bizarre? Then here is your Star Fox stages. Not seeing a problem with this in the end.

The only thing that I would worry about is how they're going to make the two universes fit together. It can be done. Outside of them being animals has the Star Fox universe ever come off goofy in a way that it's content couldn't work in the Metroid Universe as shown in the various games?

I'm honestly asking this as I have more experience with Metroid then I do Star Fox.
Star Fox is more or less a Saturday morning cartoon in style. Talking bipedal animals flying cool spaceships so they can defeat an evil monkey scientist who is out to rule the world. Opposing team Star Fox is another set of talking animals in spaceships: Team Star Wolf. Add some silly voice quips and you more or less have the Star Fox formula. Star Fox doesn't hold any punches in being like this, cities are blown up, voiced characters die in fiery explosions, Fox even blows up Andross' brain on screen.

So if Star Fox took itself a little more seriously, and Metroid lightened up a little, they'd mesh together fine in tone. Plus, Samus would make an excellent straight-woman to Star Fox' relentless quipping. Honestly, seeing Samus meet Slippy would be worth the price of admission in itself. Plus, you know, Mother Brain and Andross have so much in common. Like being giant brains. It's a villain teamup that's just meant to be.

You know, the more I think about this, the less stupid it sounds. I still want to see it before I believe it, but it could be made to work.

Star Fox is more or less a Saturday morning cartoon in style. Talking bipedal animals flying cool spaceships so they can defeat an evil monkey scientist who is out to rule the world. Opposing team Star Fox is another set of talking animals in spaceships: Team Star Wolf. Add some silly voice quips and you more or less have the Star Fox formula. Star Fox doesn't hold any punches in being like this, cities are blown up, voiced characters die in fiery explosions, Fox even blows up Andross' brain on screen.

So...I gather from this that you've played Starfox 64, and nothing else.

Honestly, why does Nintendo even try? People's perception of Starfox seems to be rooted in 64 and nothing else. Even the original SNES Starfox was far less silly than it's Nintendo 64 remake.

Starfox is a sci-fi comic book in style. It's like Star Wars, but if all the characters were mercenaries like Han, and animals instead of humans.

So you are saying you bought the game for a mediocre story that was not taking itself seriously (even if some crazy fans think so) and of a series where the 2 good games that all people remember have a funny and not important story?

It had a few funny parts, but I honestly don't see where you get off saying that the story doesn't take itself seriously. Hurt, betrayal, jealousy, murder---all very serious themes that crop up throughout the game's story. But if you're bent on not taking it seriously because the characters are talking animals, there's no use arguing with you, is there?

Neiteio

COMING WINTER 2012

SAMUS ARAN and CAPTAIN FALCON are in a corridor, dodging a hail of blaster fire.

Quick pan to overhead, showing enemy fighters strafing and bombing SAMUS ARAN and CAPTAIN FALCON. Suddenly, a gigantic laser bolt destroys several enemies! Enter the Great Fox, blasting lasers and flanked by Arwings!

Quick zoom out to crystal ball, showing all the action. For a quick second, we see the figure watching - GIYGAS!!!
Nooooooooo I'm reading this in public but now must faaaaaaaaaaaap!

McNum

So...I gather from this that you've played Starfox 64, and nothing else.

Honestly, why does Nintendo even try? People's perception of Starfox seems to be rooted in 64 and nothing else. Even the original SNES Starfox was far less silly than it's Nintendo 64 remake.

Starfox is a sci-fi comic book in style. It's like Star Wars, but if all the characters were mercenaries like Han, and animals instead of humans.
I played the original Star Fox, and it was pretty corny, too. Not quite as much chatter, and the wingmen actually get killed rather than retreat if you don't save them, but it's still rather light. Between the giant robot boss that threw its own legs at you, the moving van chase and the slot machine boss in the secret "ending", Starwing Star Fox kind of jumped between serious and silly in a heartbeat. But 64 was pretty much a re-imagining of the original Star Fox story, more or less replacing it in the series.

The later games, not so much. Think I might have missed out so something with Assault, but may have dodged a bullet with Command. Not quite sure about Adventures. It is worth noting what game got the 3DS remake, though. Quippy, Saturday morning cartoon Star Fox is back. And frankly, I think it needs to be a bit like that now. Talking animals in spaceships is a somewhat silly concept, and trying to play that off completely seriously and for drama becomes... weird. The "There are bad guys, and we're mercenaries who don't know the meaning of radio silence out to stop them!" plot seems workable enough. That and Kid Icarus Uprising shows that Nintendo still know how to make funny combat quips. Ask Pit and the entire rest of the cast about that.

The later games, not so much. Think I might have missed out so something with Assault, but may have dodged a bullet with Command. Not quite sure about Adventures. It is worth noting what game got the 3DS remake, though. Quippy, Saturday morning cartoon Star Fox is back. And frankly, I think it needs to be a bit like that now. Talking animals in spaceships is a somewhat silly concept, and trying to play that off completely seriously and for drama becomes... weird..

I'm not saying that Starfox should be viewed as completely serious, but I take issue with the idea that talking animals = silly. There are people who take anthropomorphic animals too seriously (i.e., furries), and then there are people who found Epic Mickey's story to be touching despite starring a cartoon mouse stuck in a world where forgotten cartoon characters are taken very seriously. To go with another Disney example, take the classic Disney adaptation of Robin Hood. There are plenty of lighthearted moments in the movie, but I'm sure the writers of that film didn't show up for work one day and say "Well, fuck, they're talking foxes so lets just go goofballs with the damn thing".

At any rate, Adventures, Assault, and Command are all peppered with serious scenes, so it doesn't look like Nintendo agrees with the "Saturday morning cartoon" notion. Or at least, if Starfox is a Saturday morning action cartoon, it's one that can be taken somewhat seriously, a la Superman: The Animated Series.

Is this idea any more crazy sounding than Pokemon mixed with Nobunaga's Ambition?

I believe in Retro...so if they are trying this, I'm on board. :D

LuFel

COMING WINTER 2012

LOL i read it with their character´s respective voices...

Jintor

COMING WINTER 2012

WOAH

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm still pining for that Captain Falcon game made by Platinum.

Also Star Fox in Super Robot Wars.

Boss Doggie

And yes, it's not a racing game. It's Captain Falcon beating up evildoers for the name of justice, Bayonetta style.

Doorman

If this rumor turns out to be true and this doesn't happen in some form, I'll be profoundly disappointed. Hell they've already done it with Assault so why not.

I get the sense that the Metroid purists would bitch about this game far more than the Star Fox purists would, if only because the game would have dialogue by necessity and that apparently ruins their precious isolation. I don't think it's an impossible mashup to make work, but it would have to be done very well for it to not fall completely on its face, and frankly...I'm not sure that anybody at Nintendo has the experience to really pull that off convincingly. I won't personally mind it much if the game is still fun to play, but it would be nice not to have to mentally roll my eyes through the process.

Satchel

Banned
Soooo if the StarFox sections are a starfox game and the metroid sections are a metroid game, why not make 2 separate games?

Metal B

And yes, it's not a racing game. It's Captain Falcon beating up evildoers for the name of justice, Bayonetta style.

Actually a really cool idea. The F-Zero Universe is already a strange place. Seeing Captain Falcon in an over the top Beat em up like Bayonetta screaming Falcon Punch, Falcon Kick or Knee of Justice would not be so out of place.

And at the end Falcon knees someone SO HOARDE that he rips open a hole in space-time and reboots the universe Mario Galaxy-style.

This would not be the first time.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
i would puke if this is true. star fox is a joke of a franchise, it was good in the 90s but not anymore.

a retro metroid with current gen or maybe better graphics would make me all hot and bothered. once they took the series out of retro's hand it's been downhill for samus.

Boss Doggie

You spelled Sin & Punishment wrong

lolwut

I mean, if fucking Macross units who pretty much are useless in robot mode could get in, I'm sure Star Fox can.

Actually a really cool idea. The F-Zero Universe is already a strange place. Seeing Captain Falcon in an over the top Beat em up like Bayonetta screaming Falcon Punch, Falcon Kick or Knee of Justice would not be so out of place.

This would not be the first time.

Exactly, I'm surprised no one pitched that idea... yet.

i would puke if this is true. star fox is a joke of a franchise, it was good in the 90s but not anymore.

But then how would it gain a good game if no good developer would make it? Stuff like this makes me bother if people know their logic. It's a horrible cycle.

Last time I tried to combine these universes I tried to get Samus in one of the ships in the Sector Z level in Super Smash Bros.

That turned out as well as this will

Top Bottom