• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming Mice: Post your rodent! (keyboards welcome)

vertopci

Rickenslacker said:
I've been thinking between the Deathadder and R.A.T. 7 in my head. I need a mouse that doesn't have prediction/angle snapping, has an 800dpi mode, and can work well without driver software.

Any opinions? I'd like to know from R.A.T. owners as well because I hear they're hefty mice even without the weights, is that true?

Get a mionix naos 5000 instead of either of those! You can turn prediction on/off, change lift off distance, change angle snapping to whatever you want, and has 800 dpi mode. It requires driver software, but once you set your settings and upload it to the mouse, you don't have to have it running in the background.

Zowie Celeritas (StarTale sponsor)
Gaming-keyboard-Zowie_Celeritas-4.jpg

Been using this baby for a couple of months now and it's nothing short of amazing. There's no way I could possibly go back to rubber domes after touching this work of art. The entire keyboard is very solid and has heft to it. It really is a ten out of ten for me.

Razor Naga
razer-naga-gallery6.jpg

This mouse is incredibly helpful for playing WoW and a couple of other MMOs, but other than that it's pretty terrible. The side buttons actually make it pretty hard to play FPS games without accidentally hitting them. Overall if you're mostly an MMO gamer it's great, otherwise I'd suggest something else.

Dishonorable Mention: SteelSeries WoW MMO Mouse
steelseries-wow-mouse.jpg

I used this turd for close to 8 months before it completely broke. Starting from the top, the cord itself started to fray after about three months. The metallic paint that adorns the outer shell started to chip after a month. This led to my hand turning completely green after playing for more than thirty minutes at a time. This had a side effect of making my hand incredibly itchy and sweaty (probably the greatest detractor). Ergonomically I believe you can tell from the sceeenshot, but it's terrible. The d-pad on the left is very stiff making it hard to press when you need it. The middle two buttons underneath the wheel are also hard to press without a clawlike grip on the mouse. On the right side are two extra buttons in an incredibly hard to press location compounded with the fact that they are incredibly stiff. I recommend staying as far away from this disaster as possible. I could go on about the driver issues, but that would just be beating a dead horse.

WX3

I just bought a Razer Naga a few weeks ago and getting used to the numeric pad took a bit of time. I appreciated that Razer does pack in stick on tabs that you can place on the individual buttons to help you learn the layout.

Ezahn

ndreamer said:
I have a gigabyte ghost, very nice mouse to use but it's a fair bit bigger then mice i have used in the past, you can switch between dpi settings all the way up to 6000dpi.
jGjhB.jpg

Here I am, another satisfied Ghost user.

/thumbs_up

This mouse is really really good value for money (great cable even, adjustable weight, right size for the side buttons...), it hasn't got the deserved recognition imho.

Protocol7

I used to have a Miscrosoft Wireless Natural Keyboard (awesome keyboard RIP...) and an Internet Explorer 2.0 mouse, they served me for quite some years, and then well I had to change them and opted for these, all is cabled, I had wireless before, and I don't want anymore, not that I had any issues with them, but if your PC is on a desk I don't see the need of having a wireless set up, cable is fine, it's light, has a more than enough the lenght you need (except if you're a couch person, that's another story of course) no need to change the batteries (what a bother even if it's not that often...):

Microsoft's SideWinder X4 keyboard:
Really nice when typing with it, the keys are desktop like, not the very flat ones, I would say more intermediary ones.

microsoft-sidewinder-x4-keyboard.jpg

Razer DeathAdder "Refresh" (the latest version)
Well I guess I don't need to present this model, five button mouse (all programmable), great hand positionning, buttons are great, awesome response time.
Razer-Death-Adder-Re-Spawn-Souris-Laser-Noir.jpg

Protocol7 said:
Razer DeathAdder (the latest version)
Well I guess I don't need to present this model, five button mouse (all programmable), great hand positionning, buttons are great, awesome response time.
Razer-Death-Adder-Re-Spawn-Souris-Laser-Noir.jpg
That's not the latest version. The newer model has the glossy sides removed.

razer-naga-gallery6.jpg

Going to replace it soon with a Deathadder or the new redesign Logitech mx518 ( I used the original before the Naga)

Replacing because I don't play any mmo anymore plus I hate the placement of the back and forward buttons, just couldn't get use to them.

notsol337

marked forever
Menelaus said:
logitech-MX518.jpg

14557.png

MX518+Illuminated Keyboard

I think I might replace this keyboard soon. It's awesome for actual typing, but hard to find home keys on while gaming.

This is my setup too! Oh man. The keyboard is super awesome.

Wubby

Been using this for the last 4 years or so. Great for gaming, not so great for typing.

eynq9l.jpg

I had a:

razer-naga-gallery6.jpg

But it died after 6 months of use. With no receipt (it was a gift) and the cost of shipping it back to US then back to Japan I gave up. It always had a finicky laser that was very picky about the surface. The buttons I found only 6 of the ones on the side useful. The back two rows required too much contorting to use so I rarely used them.

Originally I was going to replace it with the new wireless version of the Naga but they don't/didn't sell it in Japan and I didn't feel like shipping it from the US. Glad I didn't because I found...

1Bky5.jpg

I love it! It feels much more solidly built than the Naga. Naga feels so cheap compared to this. The laser isn't finicky at all either. I can even use it on my pant leg and it works. My only wish is it had more than 4 side buttons though. The scroll wheel is really great too. I like the left/right click and the ability to freewheel.

I picked up one of these last year:

17680.png

Haven't gotten fully used to it though with the Zboard Merc sitting in front of me I'm often just to lazy to get the G13 out. I'm debating getting a different, smaller keyboard that's good for typing and just leave the g13 out all the time.

gatti-man

Rickenslacker said:
I'm hearing good things about that ugly looking abomination. I'm kinda surprised as many people own it because it's so visually offputting lol.

But! It looks like it has the features to back it up. Just curious, why do you (and any other R.A.T. 7 owners on GAF) like the mouse?

Well I think it looks hot but besides that it actually fits my hand. The panels are swapable and have real shape differences and the length is adjustable as well. Buttons are all super intuitive and the snipe button is semi useful.

My best example of why I love the rat 7 is I have reasonably sized man hands. Ever accidentaly drug your punky under the mouse will moving right? Rat7 has an adjustable panel with a pinky rest so my pinky is safe:D

SteelSeries-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-MMO-Gaming-Mouse.png

plus

g13_angle.jpg

Between the WoW Cataclysm mouse and Logitech G13, I don't have to use the keyboard at all. The only pain is setting them up for a particular game. Thankfully, WoW is easily the game I play most on PC, so this setup is optimal for me in every way possible.
I know the first WoW Mouse got a lot of bad reviews, but the Cataclysm one is fantastic. The button placement is great and the software integration works very well. The device is solid in every way. The G13 is in a class all it's own. Everyone should game with one of those. It took me a couple of hours to get used to it, but once I did it's hard going back to a keyboard.

As much as I love the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech mice just feel like they have better build quality. The gaps on the IE3.0 are cavernous. I guess it's supposed to be like that, but it just feels tacky in comparison to an M series or MX series mouse. The M705 is a good one. Not a gaming mouse as such, but is a good enough all rounder.

Protocol7

darkpaladinmfc said:
That's not the latest version. The newer model has the glossy sides removed.

Hum no that's the one alright (double checked on Razer's site). Maybe you're confusing with the Black Edition, which is just a cheap looking version of the Death Adder "Refresh"... but in black with rubber sides? When I meant "lastest version" I meant the one they updated the specs with, not an alternate looking model.

Zomo

Mouse: Razer Spectre (Starcraft)
I don't even play starcraft, just like the mouse.

Keyboard: Logitech G110

Love them both.

Looking to get a new mouse and keyboard. So far based on what I've seen in this thread and reviews elsewhere I'm leaning towards the RAT 7 (or 9 if I really want wireless) and Blackwidow. :)

drkOne

Razer Deathadder w/ Hyperglides
razer-deathadder-mac-mouse.jpg

Steelseries Qck+
864_1qck.jpg

Samsung Qsenn DT-35
QsennDT-35.jpg

I've been meaning to try a Mechanical keyboard out, but I don't know if it's worth the money.
I've had a Razer Lycosa, Microsoft X4 and Logitech G15, and the cheap Qsenn is easily the best.

TomcatTheLion said:
Looking to get a new mouse and keyboard. So far based on what I've seen in this thread and reviews elsewhere I'm leaning towards the RAT 7 (or 9 if I really want wireless) and Blackwidow. :)
I'd advise you to try the Blackwidow out before buying it. It uses Cherry MX Blue switches, meaning the keys will pop up after you press them.
197802d1298910971-mechanical-keyboard-guide-cherry-mx-blue-animated.gif

If you play high APM games you might want to avoid it.
You have other options with better switches for gaming, like the Steelseries 6G v2 which uses Black ones.

Draft

I was thinking about making a keyboard thread.

Let's get something straight: if you aren't typing on a mechanical keyboard, you are a sucker.

Draft said:

Let's get something straight: if you aren't typing on a mechanical keyboard, you are a sucker.

Typing words is a joy with cherry switches, playing games isn't as nice.

Truespeed

Draft said:

You should. I've been bitten by the mechanical bug and within 4 months have amassed an IBM model M, Black Widow Cherry Blue, Leopold Cherry Brown and Meka G1 Cherry Black.

drkOne said:
I've been meaning to try a Mechanical keyboard out, but I don't know if it's worth the money.
It will change your keyboard using life. This is not an exaggeration. Though knowing which kind of mechanical switches you'd prefer on your keyboard is important too.

Draft

CrashPrime said:
Typing words is a joy with cherry switches, playing games isn't as nice.
Spoken like a true sucker. What's not as nice? The tactile responsiveness? The surety of a keystroke announcing it's hit home? The pleasing push back from the switches, as if the keyboard was a living thing responding to your touch?

The mechanical keyboard demolishes the squishy, wimpy membrane keyboard in every respect. Mechanical keyboards are elegant tools from a more civilized age. Membrane keyboards exist for the same reason Norton and Roxio come in trial versions: so Dell can sell you some piece of shit PC in a box for $99.

Are mechanical keyboards that good? What are the benefits to mechanical over standard keyboards?

I've been seeing people buying mechanical keyboards but I've always wanted to know what was special about them.

Cipherr

SillyEskimo said:
SteelSeries-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-MMO-Gaming-Mouse.png

Between the WoW Cataclysm mouse and Logitech G13, I don't have to use the keyboard at all. The only pain is setting them up for a particular game. Thankfully, WoW is easily the game I play most on PC, so this setup is optimal for me in every way possible.
I know the first WoW Mouse got a lot of bad reviews, but the Cataclysm one is fantastic. The button placement is great and the software integration works very well.

You know back when they first showed that Cata mouse I thought about getting one, it has a lot of buttons and the button placement looks fan-fucking-tastic. But everytime I asked about it, I was just reminded how shitty the first one was. Good to get a review, Ill either be getting that mouse or another brand of Roccat next, and Im leaning towards the Cata mouse even though I no longer play wow.

what's better between the Razer Blackwidow and the DAS Model S Professional Silent Keyboard?

I've never used the macro keys on my Logitech G15, so that's not important.

I've read that Blackwidow use blue and the DAS uses brown.

I'm looking for something strong at both typing and gaming.

Draft

HarryDemeanor said:
Are mechanical keyboards that good? What are the benefits to mechanical over standard keyboards?

I've been seeing people buying mechanical keyboards but I've always wanted to know what was special about them.
What is the benefit of a BMW over a Kia?

Fredescu

Draft said:
What is the benefit of a BMW over a Kia?
With a BMW you hope everyone will see you with one. With a mechanical keyboard you don't need to worry, they will hear you from miles away.

DTKT

HarryDemeanor said:

That's my question too.

I've been looking for a new keyboard and since everyone seem to be praising a mechanical one, I might be interested.

How loud is it when typing?

Draft

It's not that loud. My KB has cherry blue switches which are clicky, and they don't bother me at all.

They are certainly louder than a membrane keyboard, though. If the noise is that big a deal, you can get a KB with cherry... browns, I think, are the quiet ones.

drkOne

Rickenslacker said:
It will change your keyboard using life. This is not an exaggeration. Though knowing which kind of mechanical switches you'd prefer on your keyboard is important too.
I'm undecided between Blacks and Browns. I'd probably get Browns as they're the mid term, but not sure if the linear Blacks wouldn't be more pleasurable to play on.

Draft said:
It's not that loud. My KB has cherry blue switches which are clicky, and they don't bother me at all.

They are certainly louder than a membrane keyboard, though. If the noise is that big a deal, you can get a KB with cherry... browns, I think, are the quiet ones.
Should be the Blacks, they're the linear ones.

ampere

Draft said:
Do it.

And write up which mechanical keyboards you recommend, etc. I'm starting to lose it with my $10 Microsoft keyboard and the letters are fading on my QWEASD keys.

I'm thinking about going with the BlackWidow since I really like Razer mice. Good choice? Or should I keep looking

Draft said:
I read that, very informative, but a bit outdated for purchasing I think

Truespeed

HarryDemeanor said:

With mechanical keyboards it's all about the tactile feedback they provide and they all vary between the different types of switches available (Cherry Blue, Cherry Black, Cherry Brown, Cherry Red, Buckling Spring, Alps, etc). Each switch has it's own set of unique characteristics such as the sound they make, the distance they travel and the weight that needs to be applied to register a key press. Another unique characteristic of mechanical keyboards is that they're capable of N Key rollover. This allows you to register multiple keystrokes simultaneously regardless of how many keys you press because each key is scanned separately.

So what are the benefits? They last considerably longer and they just feel better to type on. But, they're not for everyone.

ciaossu said:
Do it.

And write up which mechanical keyboards you recommend, etc. I'm starting to lose it with my $10 Microsoft keyboard and the letters are fading on my QWEASD keys.

I'm thinking about going with the BlackWidow since I really like Razer mice. Good choice? Or should I keep looking

I read that, very informative, but a bit outdated for purchasing I think
I have the Blackwidow Ultimate and it is slick as hell. Loud as fuck and definately not for everyone but I love it. Goes on sale quite a bit too.

drkOne

ciaossu said:
Do it.

What games do you usually play?

If you don't care about key feedback (normally for FPS) and want to spam the keys, go with Black switches. Example: Steelseries 6G/7G
If you want some key feedback but still be able to spam the keys as you wish, and not press them by mistake (normally for RTS), go with Brown switches. Example: Filco Majestouch
If you want the keys to feel clicky, and don't normally have to double-tap quickly (they're the only switches that don't look so appealing for gaming on paper, it all comes down to personal preference. Don't get discouraged, a lot of professional players actually play on Blue switches), go with Blue switches. Example: Razer Blackwidow

Filco sells the Majestouch with any of those switches, and I've yet to see someone who is really dependent on their keyboard(SC2 players, mainly) to recommend Razer/Steelseries over Filco.

ampere

Saren is Bad said:
I have the Blackwidow Ultimate and it is slick as hell. Loud as fuck and definately not for everyone but I love it. Goes on sale quite a bit too.
Noise is OK, I need more feedback from my keys. The keyboard I have is so squishy.

drkOne said:
What games do you usually play?

If you don't care about key feedback (normally for FPS) and want to spam the keys, go with Black switches. Example: Steelseries 6G/7G
If you want some key feedback but still be able to spam the keys as you wish, and not press them by mistake (normally for RTS), go with Brown switches. Example: Filco Majestouch
If you want the keys to feel clicky, and don't normally have to double-tap quickly (they're the only switches that don't look so appealing for gaming on paper, it all comes down to personal preference. Don't get discouraged, a lot of professional players actually play on Blue switches), go with Blue switches. Example: Razer Blackwidow

Filco sells the Majestouch with any of those switches, and I've yet to see someone who is really dependent on their keyboard(SC2 players, mainly) to recommend Razer/Steelseries over Filco.
I use a 360 pad for most 3rd person games, so for the keyboard it's WoW and occasional FPSes, but I'm not really serious in either. I don't play RTSes at all.
I like clicky feeling keys even for non-gaming purpose typing. It helps that I like the Razer Naga mouse, so I'll probably be up for trusting Razer on a keyboard purchase too.

I remember when I built my computer Feb 2010 I didn't even factor keyboard/mouse purchase into the price because I figured I could get them dirt cheap. I never realized how nice it can be to get solid input.

Truespeed said:
With mechanical keyboards it's all about the tactile feedback they provide and they all vary between the different types of switches available (Cherry Blue, Cherry Black, Cherry Brown, Cherry Red, Buckling Spring, Alps, etc). Each switch has it's own set of unique characteristics such as the sound they make, the distance they travel and the weight that needs to be applied to register a key press. Another unique characteristic of mechanical keyboards is that they're capable of N Key rollover. This allows you to register multiple keystrokes simultaneously regardless of how many keys you press because each key is scanned separately.

So what are the benefits? They last considerably longer and they just feel better to type on. But, they're not for everyone.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll need to try one to see if I like it.

drkOne said:
I'm undecided between Blacks and Browns. I'd probably get Browns as they're the mid term, but not sure if the linear Blacks wouldn't be more pleasurable to play on.
My own preference are the browns, I like the tactile feedback, but they're quieter than blues and require the least force of the three. Either way though they're a joy to type on. It's hard going back to rubber membrane after.

drkOne

ciaossu said:
I use a 360 pad for most 3rd person games, so for the keyboard it's WoW and occasional FPSes, but I'm not really serious in either. I don't play RTSes at all.
I like clicky feeling keys even for non-gaming purpose typing. It helps that I like the Razer Naga mouse, so I'll probably be up for trusting Razer on a keyboard purchase too.

I remember when I built my computer Feb 2010 I didn't even factor keyboard/mouse purchase into the price because I figured I could get them dirt cheap. I never realized how nice it can be to get solid input.
If you're okay with spending the money on it, and seeing as you like the Razer brand, the Blackwidow should be the best for you.
I imagine the "pop up" thingy won't trouble you in your games, and Blue switches are supposed to be the ones recommended for typing.

Rickenslacker said:
My own preference are the browns, I like the tactile feedback, but they're quieter than blues and require the least force of the three. Either way though they're a joy to type on. It's hard going back to rubber membrane after.
Might I ask which games you spend the majority of the time with?
And which keyboard you're currently using? :3

drkOne said:
Might I ask which games you spend the majority of the time with?
And which keyboard you're currently using? :3
I'm playing TF2 mostly at the moment, but I play just about everything aside from RTS. My current keyboard is a junky rubber membrane IBM keyboard from 1995, but I've used a Filco Majestouch, a Razer Black Widow and a Steelseries 6g.

oneils

Here is a great post about mechanical keyboards over at overclock.net:

Mechanical Keyboards

I have thought about purchasing one for the longest time, but I think I actually have a couple collecting dust in the deep bowels of one of my closets. I get a headache thinking about going in there to see (seriously, it would probably involve a couple hours of shifting boxes around and crap).

So, I've been using an old Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard for the last 5 years or so:

e7ddaffbc433199196e3132b43d37d356f51a677.jpg

I have no idea if it uses rubber domes, or what. Anyone know how I would find out, short of taking the keys off? But it actually feels half decent, and it fits my crowded desk really well. All the paint has completely worn off the WASD keys, though!

I have the same mouse as many others:

f96d81b2e727ef0f1d6eb42b6945edac0243c2b7.jpg

Finally, I have a cool BFG Ratpadz GS Mouse Pad. Love the thing (I think BFG discontinued these a while back):

fcf114e0de46caf5ba4b40ea3208c78eb5b81331.jpg

So, all in all, its just a hodgepodge of stuff I've collected over the years. Been meaning to research some new gear, but it all suits my needs pretty well.

Just picked up a Blackwidow Ultimate and I have to say it is quite lovely, I have seen the mechanical light. Mixed with my Deathadder(Xtrac mouse pad) and Xbox 360 controller($10 deal extreme adapter!), my setup is complete.
001-8.jpg

006-6.jpg

004-9.jpg

JRW

Logitech-G5-2007.jpg

p1-6_03.jpg

Logitech G5 Rev2 , It glides noticeably smoother on my mousepad vs. previous MX518 due to the larger Teflon feet.

As for my Keyboard I keep it simple and clicky:

IBM_Clicky.jpg

JRW said:
Logitech G5 Rev2 , It glides noticeably smoother on my mousepad vs. previous MX518 due to the larger Teflon feet.

As for my Keyboard I keep it simple and clicky:

Disturbing, because my setup is exactly the same (save for minor model differences in Model M models).

DanManIt

Neo Member
Truespeed said:
You should. I've been bitten by the mechanical bug and within 4 months have amassed an IBM model M, Black Widow Cherry Blue, Leopold Cherry Brown and Meka G1 Cherry Black.
Which keyboard do you like most?

Top Bottom