• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who refuse to play Indie-Games - Why?

I also read that some Gaffers are like that and say every Indie-Game is shit or they look "cheap", are all copycats etc.

Why do you think some people reject the idea of playing Indie-Games in general?

Nicky Ali

People do realise that "indie-game" isn't a genre, right...?

Like, Death Stranding is technically an indie game. That looks far from cheap.

EDIT: Yeah okay, please forget that Death Stranding bit, but the point remains. You can't lump these games into one big group, that's just a bit silly.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
"Indie games" is such a large brush to paInt with. I'm not playing any more pixel art platformers or faux retro RPGs, but I still play Rocket League to this day.

People do realise that "indie-game" isn't a genre, right...?

Like, Death Stranding is an indie game. That looks far from cheap.

Death Stranding isn't an indie game tho.

I never got this either. It's a weird-ass opinion to dismiss an entire portion of the medium because of a distribution decision. You don't see cinephiles bragging about how they only watch summer blockbusters.

"Indie games" is such a large brush to paInt with. I'm not playing any more pixel art platformers or faux retro RPGs, but I still play Rocket League to this day.

I mean I see a lot of posts here even on GAF where people flat out say they wont play any "Indie-Game".

I am aware its not a genre.

SamNW

I imagine it's the same reason why some people only watch big-budget action movies. That preference confounds me, but it's certainly not uncommon.

Kyle8497

The majority (from what I've seen) are 2D sidescrollers that aren't that fleshed out. It's just not my type of experience.

Kill3r7

Similar to folks who hate college football and basketball but love the NFL and NBA. Such is life. People like what they like.

The majority are 2D sidescrollers that aren't that fleshed out. It's just not my type of experience.
1. Don't know if that's even true
2. A great many aren't 2D side scrollers

I will never understand it. It's not a genre. They aren't all the same, they don't look the same. They are just games. Games are games. Worse yet are people who only play AAA games, whatever that even means.

"Indie game" is such a broad term that I'm sure that most people that say they don't play them do actually play them. They just don't know it because it doesn't look like an old Nintendo game.

.Anema

I tried a lot of indie games but in general they are inconsistent in some way that I can't enjoy them. Sometimes the gameplay, or the graphics or the overall experience.
The only indie game I've finished was Axiom Verge.

Also, I think the "Indie" scene its related to the budget of the game and not by the distribution system. You can't call to Death Stranding a indie game, come on. It's like movies. The indie scene it's related to the budget and the way they're made, not the distribution. I know that "indie" in the original meaning its related to distribution, but not anymore, maybe in the 80's-90's.

Banned
Because they're not real games. Don't even @ me unless your game costs $20m to make and gets a retail version. Only good games get retail copies. That's how I know it's good quality. If your game doesn't get marketed that means it's trash and you're hiding something.

Sinfamy

I don't care who makes the game.
But I'm sick of side scrolling pixel art crap.
There's exceptions, but overall it's genre exhaustion.

Tamanator

I myself wasn't a fan of the "Indie" style when it first broke onto the scene with a lot of the NES inspired games plus I wasn't completely sold on digital distribution. These days, I play as many indie games as I don't due to their further development.

The majority are 2D sidescrollers that aren't that fleshed out. It's just not my type of experience.

Is it really the majority or is it that you only see them as the majority?

ahfVi6k.jpg

thewitness1280jpg-19c3cd_1280w.jpg

RiME-screenshots-6.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

narcosissafe-1490020650345_1280w.jpg

GoaT1.jpg

Mount-%26-Blade-II%3A-Bannerlord-&

maxresdefault.jpg

Outside of Rogue Legacy, Spelunky and Terraria (does this count?) none have interested me. I only tried these games because they were portable and easy to dump small segments of time into. Nowadays I like games with exploration, character advancement and a story. Not many indies provide an experience I personally would invest multiple hours of game time into. Pixel art is also an instant killer for me now.

I wouldn't dismiss them for their publisher, lack of disc release or cheap price point. I dismiss them because they'd hold my attention for 5 minutes until its USP gimmick wore off. That and the fact they end up being 20p in a HumbleBundle or free on PS+ after a while makes you wonder what the point in purchasing something you're not that interested in.

This thread already became a clusterfuck!

_Rob_

They aren't real games if they're not sold on a disc, cost 60$ and have sequels.

And DLC, plus with paid content that was already on the disc!

Really though, I've never met anyone who refuses to buy "indie games" because of the label.

EGM1966

Some people just have different tastes which is fine nobody should feel guilty about that (well I can think of some taste exceptions but let's not go there...)

Some people deliberately limit themselves based on bias they have which is a shame as it really does limit their chances to enjoy some great.

Lots of people just like the big budget events. Similar to how people at large gravitate towards Star Wars and Marvel Movies but don't really pay attention to Sundance film festival award winners.

I never got this either. It's a weird-ass opinion to dismiss an entire portion of the medium because of a distribution decision. You don't see cinephiles bragging about how they only watch summer blockbusters.
Have you seen how much money blockbusters make compared to other movies? There are absolutely a lot of people who only watch blockbusters.

Marcel

I'm not tired of indies but I am tired of Metroidvanias from any tier of developer.

Find some other game type to ape.

cheesekao

What's even an indie game nowadays? IIRC, it used to mean games made by independent developers with no publisher involvement but that apparently isn't the case anymore.

Caffeine

if they refuse to play indie games, I hope they enjoy games as a service since thats what AAA is trending toward.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Plenty of people go to a restaurant and order the same dish every time. Some people like their safe zone and don't care to branch out. Let them enjoy what they want.

Im not tired of indie games because the budget doesnt determine the quality of a game, but i am tired of pixel art 2d metroidvanias, puzzle platformers, and rogue likes. Im excited that indie devs are stretching their legs abit more with games like virginia and yooka laylee, and straif

Jolkien

Besides Bastion, Transistor and Cosmic Star Heroine I haven't really saw any that tickled my fancy. Show me a jrpg or wrpg with engrossing universe, good mechanic and I'm on board. (I hated Undertale, so according to GAF I'm probably a monster and I'm not really a fan of rogue-like)

A lack of time for all the games coming out can tend to push them to lower priorities. Notable ones like Stardew Valley or Undertale rise to the top, make the news, and demand attention. May of them I just can't gamble on, with so much else to play.

Rookhelm

2 reasons I can think of:

1) Indie game is really just code for "retro" game, and people would rather play something more modern

2) They'd rather play a "longer" game, and indie games have a reputation of being short, so it's a "value" thing.

Besides Bastion, Transistor and Cosmic Star Heroine I haven't really saw any that tickled my fancy. Show me a jrpg or wrpg with engrossing universe, good mechanic and I'm on board. (I hated Undertale, so according to GAF I'm probably a monster and I'm not really a fan of rogue-like)

Torment? Divinity?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I dont have anything against "indie" games that are well made. But I do hate the influx of super cheap steam "indie" games that are either retro art or generic copy and pasted assets. I play games to be immersed in new worlds, cheap productions ruin that immersion.

I esspecially hate the "16-bit" novel style games that are everywhere on steam now. I was super excited when i heard some cyberpunk games were coming, only to see they were that shit 16-bit style. Looks horrible.

nan0

I don't refuse to, but the vast majority doesn't interest me because they are genres I generally don't care about.

Have you seen how much money blockbusters make compared to other movies? There are absolutely a lot of people who only watch blockbusters.

Yes, and those people wouldn't be called cinephiles.

My point is not that it's a weird thing, by-and-large. I think we all are aware that the vast majority of people who buy games are the type to buy 2-4 retail games a year at their local Walmart and be content with that. I'm saying it's a weird opinion to see on sites like GAF, where the more knowledgable and passionate fans of gaming hangout. If you went on whatever the filmic equivalent to GAF would be, and said: "I only watch Marvel movies" people would probably laugh at you.

Slythe

I remember in 2012 I was a casual "college" gamer who played Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty. I didn't grow up in the 8 bit or 16 bit era, so I didn't get the appeal of games like Fez and Braid. I remember watching youtube critics gush about the games and just didn't buy into their praise.

Years later, Fez is one of my favorite games and I own a decently high powered PC that I mostly play 2D indies on. I came around over time, but it wasn't an immediately intriguing genre to me because I didn't have any nostalgia for the 2D era.

Long story short, people like things they are familiar with. There will always be people who don't give 2D, nostalgia infused indies a chance.

Top Bottom