• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who refuse to play Indie-Games - Why?

oneils

When people say this they aren't necessarily referring to indie games as a whole. I read between the lines and
interpret it as "certain genres and aesthetics are over represented in indie games and I don't like those genres/aesthetics."

I wouldn't take people so literally.

mocoworm

I also read that some Gaffers are like that and say every Indie-Game is shit or they look "cheap", are all copycats etc.

This is ridiculous. Good games are good games. Whether it's an ATARI2600 to a Nintendo:Switch, Sinclair Spectrum to XBOX ONE.

A true gamer does not discriminate!

Peltz

My favorite game of all time, Rocket League, is an indie game. Nothing about it is a pixelated retro platformer. The gameplay is very tight too.

It's a more exciting online game than pretty much anything made by big studios with huge publishers. Good gameplay has nothing to do with budget.

By the way, if you look at games like Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac and dismiss them due to the graphics, you just have poor taste.

Gearless

Neo Member
Certain indie developers have made some questionable choices, which in turn made me question why would I ever buy their game. Other than that, I have no problems buying an indie game if its good.

13ruce

Banned
Graphics, no AAA and oldskool kind of look and gameplay, those were my reasons a few years ago. But after playing Guacamelee super turboship edition wich i got from ps + i changed my opinion on them.

Got Shovel Knight, All Shantae games, Axiom Verge, Binding of Isaac and more since then and really enjoy them especially metroidvanias and rogue likes. Since both of those are highly replayable wich is something i like alot.

Honestly people should atleast try a few before writing them off entirely like i did before.

Edit: really excited for Enter the Gungeon, Stardew Valley, Wargroove (medieval advance wars) and Hollow Knight for Switch btw!

When people say this they aren't necessarily referring to indie games as a whole. I read between the lines and
interpret it as "certain genres and aesthetics are over represented in indie games and I don't like those genres/aesthetics."

I wouldn't take people so literally.

I dont, but it seems a lot of people think that "Indie-games" are 2d metroidvanias/puzzle plattformers which isnt true. There seems to be a perception problem.

Though I personally know one guy who will never buy any Indie-game, no matter what it is.

Boss Mog

I gave plenty of indie games a chance via PS+ and with the exception of a few like Transistor and Disc Jam the vast majority were not good. People have limited time and money they can devote to gaming and so I don't understand why it's so hard to comprehend the fact that some people would rather use that time and money to play AAA games rather than indies.

I dont, but it seems a lot of people think that "Indie-games" are 2d metroidvanias/puzzle plattformers which isnt true. There seems to be a perception problem.

Though I personally know one guy who will never buy any Indie-game, no matter what it is.

Does that guy actually check for a publisher and if there isn't one he refuses? I bet if you showed him one of the high budget indies he wouldn't mind.

I don't think anyone actually refuses to play any game that is independent regardless of the game quality itself. When they say indie they mean the specific subset of retro/2d/short/walking simulator type games. Myself, I will play any of those if the game looks interesting, but with so much out there to play it's very easy to look past them and not care at all.

I remember in 2012 I was a casual "college" gamer who played Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty. I didn't grow up in the 8 bit or 16 bit era, so I didn't get the appeal of games like Fez and Braid. I remember watching youtube critics gush about the games and just didn't buy into their praise.

Years later Fez is one of my favorite games and I own a decently high powered PC that I mostly play 2D indies on. I came around over time, but it wasn't an immediately intriguing genre to me because I didn't have any nostalgia for the 2D era.

Long story short, people like things they are familiar with. There will always be people who don't give 2D, nostalgia infused indies a chance.

That's the thing we're talking about though, that's a small subset of what indie games are.

This is an indie game:
firewatch-e3-5.jpg

This is an indie game:

This is an indie game:

And this is an indie game:

It's not a genre.

Boss★Moogle;236477628 said:
I gave plenty of indie games a chance via PS+ and with the exception of a few like Transistor and Disc Jam the vast majority were not good.

I would argue thats because the majority of indiegames that are given on PS+ most of the time are (mostly) bad ones.

Does that guy actually check for a publisher and if there isn't one he refuses? I bet if you showed him one of the high budget indies he wouldn't mind.

He only buys games from Publishers he knows.

TI82

Banned
One classmate said "because they don't have AAA production values and polish and thus aren't worth my time" to which I said, "continue missing out on amazingly well made games then"

Sulik2

I have no problem playing indie games. But I want more stuff like FTL, Shadowrun or Gunpoint. I'm never going to play another 2D Metroidvania Rogue Like Platformer ever again.

I generally have no interest in yet more pixel-anything with a quirky mishmash of genres, or otherwise games riding on Souls-style gameplay, or using rogue-like mechanics. Usually platformers/metroidvanias. Those kinds of indie games I stay away from.

Shovel Knight is an obvious exception. I wasn't immediately over it as soon as I saw it, and I could just tell it would be special.

ocean

Banned
It's like asking "why do you only watch predictable trope-riddled hollywood films? The artsy student film festival scene is so much more creative and experimental".

"But Art films aren't a genre! How can you blanket state you don't like them?"

I mean sure, but some people aren't looking for avant garde. They want high production values / big budget visuals, in a somewhat predictable format and a great deal of polish.

At some point, even if you disagree you have to respect it. Not everybody will like the same things. Quirky weird low budget games have an audience but rationally you must understand *there's a reason they get nobody to spend real-world marketing money on them*: the target audience just isn't that big. And that's ok.

Kayant

What's even an indie game nowadays? IIRC, it used to mean games made by independent developers with no publisher involvement but that apparently isn't the case anymore.
As a definition it still means that(which is still I define it) but some Devs/people have adapted it to include/mean different things.

He only buys games from Publishers he knows.

Well that guy is just a lost cause then. Don't think that's an indie issue that's just a stubborn person issue.

What's even an indie game nowadays? IIRC, it used to mean games made by independent developers with no publisher involvement but that apparently isn't the case anymore.

Just like indie music and indie movies, the term indie game can't be strictly defined as games with no publisher anymore imo. It should include games with a smaller budget, smaller team or a particular aesthetic that is associated with indie games.

I've had this conversation with my brother a bunch. He claims he hates indie games (even though that's mostly what he plays, ironically). His logic tends to be along the lines of: whatever gameplay idea/mechanic the indie has, it'd be better served via a bigger budget or that gaming has "moved past" that type of game. The jump from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime is an example he goes to a lot, and why would you go back to the "limitations" of Super Metroid? (I point out that I prefer 2D Metroid and he gets confused). Also, he's admitted to enjoying a number of indie games (Brothers, Mark of the Ninja, etc.), so in the end it's probably just faulty logic due to some bias against the "genre."

In the end, I agree to an extent that a lot of "indie" games struggle to get beyond being a cool idea/mechanic and would probably benefit from added budget and polish. And others are perfect as they are. Inside works better, as is, than any AAA game I've played this gen.

Revan

It's been said a few times now but indie games isn't a genre.

I play what I want to play. I don't play what I don't want to play.

If it looks interesting then yes sure - I'll try it. But if not? No thanks.

I've been gaming for 30 years now. I know my tastes and gaming likes and dislikes.

Pretty simple if you ask me, like I suspect it would be with most people.

I also read that some Gaffers are like that and say every Indie-Game is shit or they look "cheap", are all copycats etc.

Why do you think some people reject the idea of playing Indie-Games in general?

Probably the same people that refuse to see old movies (by old they mean prior to 2000)

Grief.exe

GOTY 2013 - Don't Starve
GOTY 2014 - Binding of Isaac + Banished
GOTY 2015 - Kerbal
GOTY 2016 - Factorio + Rimworld

Get woke GAF

Eumi

Because they don't enjoy the prevalent trends among indie games meaning they don't trust those sorts of games to grab them.

Or, in short, people don't play games they don't think they'll enjoy.

cr0w

Old Member
For one, many of them are simply nostalgia trips meant to evoke games we fell in love with in years past. If I get the urge to play them, I simply play the original game. No real interest in playing any new 2d platformer or Metroidvania because frankly they're simply not as good as the games they're mimicking.

For two, I'm not gonna drop the cash on a game that's maybe 3-4 hours long like a lot of these are.

For three, most of the time the games are simply not good.

Tain

I'll play lower-budget games sometimes, of course. I'm even making one, lol.

Having said that, I don't believe that there is inherent, universally-applicable value to having a smaller pool of resources to work with, and I don't believe that every kind of game is feasible under these conditions. The difference in production values between, say, Cave Story and Super Metroid is extremely tangible, and I can understand someone preferring the latter (I do).

Nabbis

I do play indie games. Does not change the fact that i consider the majority of them to be shit. Quality is usually defined by either the top products, the baseline or the average quality. Indies have no baseline and lack good average quality.

I just don't think of them. (Though, in the interest of fairness, I'm not exactly buying tons of games these days, maybe 1 per year, if even that.)

Though, if you were to point me to HIGHLY LINEAR (no open world nonsense) single player story driven games with simple leveling mechanics (if an RPG, and exclude anything with crafting), then I'd be happy to give it a glance at some point.

Basically, point to the FFX/XIII of indie games and I'd take a look.

because there''s more games than you could ever hope to even look at, so you need ways of reducing the possibilities to a range you can get your head around

prejudice, it's what's for dinner

gtj1092

I don't get it. If someone doesn't like indie games that's there choice. It's probably not that they don't like indie but instead they just like something else. It's funny though no one gets upset when people shit on AAA games. That's not a genre either.

Indie isn't a fucking genre

tariniel

I don't refuse to play them but for some reason I do tend to get bored of most of them after less than an hour. So many people recommended games like Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Subnautica, Stardew Valley, all them I played less than an hour.

I do have some favorites though, I greatly enjoyed VVVVVVV and still re-play it once in a while. I enjoyed Brothers, Guacamelee, Her Story, Crypt of the Necrodancer and maybe some others that I'm forgetting at the moment.

I play indie games.

BUT...

The vast majority of them are not very good.
The vast majority of them have very little monetary value because they are incredibly cheap or outright free.
The vast majority of them have very little gaming value because they are incredibly short or shallow.
The vast majority of them don't have physical copies and have zero resale value if things don't pan out.
The vast majority of them are built upon existing, often classic games and you could just play those games instead.
I have more AAA games than I could ever possibly play that have more monetary and gaming value.
I have more AA games than I could ever possibly play that have more monetary and gaming value.

If I get them in PS+, I'll give them a try. If I get them in a bundle for pennies on the dollar, I'll give them a try. But I'm not buying an indie game these days. And I'm not seeking them out as games to play. They're not something I look forward to. They're not a system seller. They're not anything I really put any thought or effort into. I don't have time or money to sift through the rubble to find the gems.

mindatlarge

As time goes on, it's becoming increasingly harder to tell the difference between some indie games and bigger AAA titles. Some indie studios are pumping out fantastic playing games, with modern graphics and a substantial amount of gameplay. I think when some people hear "indie" they automatically think short 2D games with 8 or 16-bit style graphics, like indie is a genre and 2D retro graphics are one of its standards. That just isn't the case, especially today. Things have become much more diverse in the indie scene. People are missing out on some great games if they only choose to support bigger studios, no matter your taste in gameplay and graphics.

I think it's interesting too that some bigger publishers like Square and Ubisoft are putting out smaller titles like Project Octopath Traveler, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Grow Home etc. I think a platform like Xbox Arcade proved to the bigger players in the industry that a game can be less ambitious in scope but sell extremely well if it's quality.

Top Bottom