• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment |PSN OT| Finish what you started.

Quick question. I have only played through P3P and a little of P4G (needed a rest from the series for a bit). Is this a sequel to the first P2 game on the PS1?

I see a PSP Persona 2 and a version for the PS1? I am guessing the PS1 version should be played first?

Tiu Neo

Got it, since now the P2 Duology is the only games in the series I never played. Will probably wait for a IS price drop before getting and playing it, though. :(

Quick question. I have only played through P3P and a little of P4G (needed a rest from the series for a bit). Is this a sequel to the first P2 game on the PS1?

I see a PSP Persona 2 and a version for the PS1? I am guessing the PS1 version should be played first?
Play the PSP P2 first then this one. Speaking of which, how big is EP? I heard it was about 500 MB, but that was before it was released.

Wait isn't there a PSP version of this?

Why not just release that?

I believe that it was only released in Japan and has not been translated. Whereas the PS1 version did come out in the US and other non-Japanese countries, so apparently it's just easier to re-release it. It does kind of stink.

dan2026

I believe that it was only released in Japan and has not been translated. Whereas the PS1 version did come out in the US and other non-Japanese countries, so apparently it's just easier to re-release it. It does kind of stink.

Isn't the PSP version just an enhanced port though?
All the majority of the translation work would have already been done for the original.

Seems like more Atlus laziness to me.

Cactus

Banned
Isn't the PSP version just an enhanced port though?
All the majority of the translation work would have already been done for the original.

Seems like more Atlus laziness to me.
It was implied by a member of the staff that they were planning to release the PSP version, but couldn't due to circumstances that he couldn't divulge.

Also, out of curiosity, what do you mean by "more" laziness? What has Atlus USA done in the past that you would consider lazy?

FluxWaveZ

'Unusual circumstances'

Please be more vague, I sure love to speculate about bullshit.

They can't talk about it so they can't talk about it. Speculate about bullshit if you want, but that's what it comes down to. I'll take what he said about it not being for a fear of low sales over your unsubstantiated "more laziness" remark.

dan2026

They can't talk about it so they can't talk about it. Speculate about bullshit if you want, but that's what it comes down to. I'll take what he said about it not being for a fear of low sales over your unsubstantiated "more laziness" remark.

Well if they can't talk about it, I guess it sounds like some sort of legal mess.

Although how they've managed to legally lock themselves out from releasing their own game, I can't even speculate.

For me at least, ATLUS has been doing too much good for me to be upset about them not localizing the PSP version. Does it suck? Yeah I suppose. But they are ultimately doing a lot more than a niche company could realistically be expected to do. So I'll gladly purchase the PS1 version of EP (and maybe one day even play it on my Vita), and continue supporting ATLUS by purchasing the games of theirs I like. Case in point, I have my pre-order for Soul Hackers already paid off at Amazon.

Dantis

Well if they can't talk about it, I guess it sounds like some sort of legal mess.

Although how they've managed to legally lock themselves out from releasing their own game, I can't even speculate.

I have a feeling it may be to do with Atlus JP not seeing the value behind the translation. Atlus don't program their translations in-house, I don't think.

For me at least, ATLUS has been doing too much good for me to be upset about them not localizing the PSP version. Does it suck? Yeah I suppose. But they are ultimately doing a lot more than a niche company could realistically be expected to do. So I'll gladly purchase the PS1 version of EP (and maybe one day even play it on my Vita), and continue supporting ATLUS by purchasing the games of theirs I like. Case in point, I have my pre-order for Soul Hackers already paid off at Amazon.

I feel you may be stretching it a bit with how much good they've been doing. ;)

I have a feeling it may be to do with Atlus JP not seeing the value behind the translation. Atlus don't program their translations in-house, I don't think.

Yeah, I suppose. It could come off a bit hyperbolic. I know that they haven't been treating the Europeans all that well lately. It's probably more to do with the fact that I'm hungry to play another Persona game so I'll take whatever I can get :)

'Unusual circumstances'

Please be more vague, I sure love to speculate about bullshit.

My guess is that they probably had most or all of the translation work done (since they have to start these projects well in advance), but by the time it needed to be passed off to Atlus's Japanese branch for the programming work they denied it for whatever reason (lack of staff, not seeing a return on the work, etc.).

Hobbun

Well, at least I can finally play both games now since EP won’t be coming to PSP.

(Never bought the original EP for the PS1).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nich got banned? wat? lol

He asked to be.

So, I can play this on my PS3 right?

And will it come to Europe as well?

Yes, can play it on PS3. Don't know about a EU release, but if you want it now, you can just make a US account and grab the funds and DL it that way.

My guess is that they probably had most or all of the translation work done (since they have to start these projects well in advance), but by the time it needed to be passed off to Atlus's Japanese branch for the programming work they denied it for whatever reason (lack of staff, not seeing a return on the work, etc.).

This is what I was thinking.

Mmmmm nah.

"Sorry, Europe"

cj_iwakura

They don't. Very few localization companies do, in fact.

I look forward to more thoughts on the game itself.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How are random encounters in this game? I played the original Persona when it first came out on PS1 and the random encounter rate/grinding in that game drove me up the wall. Still beat it though lol

'Unusual circumstances' This is the explanation? :/

I don't know what's going on at Atlus right now, and I'm guessing it has more to do with Index, but I'm finding it really hard to hold them in the same regard as I used to, as much as I want to.

It has really put a damper on my enthusiasm for their products.

Psi

'Unusual circumstances' This is the explanation? :/

I don't know what's going on at Atlus right now, and I'm guessing it has more to do with Index, but I'm finding it really hard to hold them in the same regard as I used to, as much as I want to.

It has really put a damper on my enthusiasm for their products.

I've been getting the feeling lately that Atlus has been "Indexed" so to speak. I saw an article yesterday that said SMT IV has retailer exclusive preorder costumes in Japan. Not the best sign.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've been getting the feeling lately that Atlus has been "Indexed" so to speak. I saw an article yesterday that said SMT IV has retailer exclusive preorder costumes in Japan. Not the best sign.

So? They're cosmetic costumes which add nothing to the game.

Psi

So? They're cosmetic costumes which add nothing to the game.

It just looks like more of a publisher move than anything. That and other recent things like P4A region locking and no PSP EP makes it look like Index is exerting more control over Atlus.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Where would this sit among the ones already released here in North America?

For me it's currently: 4g>4>3 Portable

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It just looks like more of a publisher move than anything. That and other recent things like P4A region locking and no PSP EP makes it look like Index is exerting more control over Atlus.

From what I understand the P4A thing was due to importing it to Japan being cheaper, there are some other companies (Kadokawa blocked Funimation) doing this with Blu-Ray releases of anime for the same reason. Some NA Blu-ray releases ONLY have the English vocal track.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Please stop enabling 100% anti-consumer moves like retailer-exclusive bonuses. I really don't want to see the Atlus equivalent of this: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=516500

But I guess we already lost when the Index thing happened.

LOL

You mean something that is completely optional and doesn't impede gameplay at all?

OK.

Call me when I absolutely HAVE to purchase some in-game content to continue playing, THEN I'll join your little crusade.

PS. EA has been doing this for years, where was the outcry when they were offering this in all the NFS games where you could buy all the unlockable cars at the start of the game?

randomkid

Man, this game sure does feel like home. I gotta get used to Tatsuya speaking and silent Maya though! I am sure most had the opposite issue.

I think I've decided I need to play on Vita if only for the stick-mapping option, totally forgot about having to use the D-pad for movement back in the day haha, I'm apparently no longer cut out for that. I hope the thread title can be updated when the Vita news comes in, don't like reading through OTs until after I've beaten the game so a notice would be much appreciated.

Edit: I'm an idiot, you can enable analog sticks on PS3 too, never mind!

FluxWaveZ

Man, that went poorly... just fought (spoiler 6-7 hours in)
Tatsuya Sudou
and the fight ended with everyone down except for
Tatsuya
. I would have reloaded a save so that the large amount of EXP could be shared across the team, but I had forgotten to save at the one moment that the game let me before the boss battle.

Really enjoying the difficulty.

graywolf323

From what I understand the P4A thing was due to importing it to Japan being cheaper, there are some other companies (Kadokawa blocked Funimation) doing this with Blu-Ray releases of anime for the same reason. Some NA Blu-ray releases ONLY have the English vocal track.

Funi had nothing to do with the Persona 4 Anime, you're thinking of Sentai

dan2026

I'm using Funi as another example. They too, were blocked from using the Japanese vocal track on some blu-rays. Panty and Stocking being one of them.

Wow I didn't even know this crap was going on.
I would never buy an anime Blu-ray that didn't have dual audio.

Somehow i got $10 credit on my account. I have no PS3, and only a PSP. Is it possible to buy it now and play it straight from the psp?

Top Bottom