• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 years later, and Persona 2 remains the most progressive JRPG about homosexuality.

Opa-Pa

I don't think there's anything weird in suggesting oppressed groups should be the ones telling others what they consider positive portrayals of their struggle, that's normal and it doesn't look like anyone's being aggressive about it. However I don't know OP's sexuality nor it's my business, but based on other threads I'm 100% sure he made this in good faith and only meant to highlight something he deemed worth sharing.

Eikichi loved her anyway, he didn't care that she changed. I don't remember how mean he was to her in the beginning but I don't see the problem, that's before he goes through character development.

I may just be misremembering, but I think it was only Eikichi's gang the ones to comment on it. And yeah I had no idea there were choices in there because she was definitely still chubby by the end of the game for me.

And I think people are missing something vital, and it's that not only did Eikichi accept her without batting an eye (his only reaction is asking her why she didn't tell him earlier), but that the roles were reversed back when they were kids, and Eikichi growing up as a shy, fat kid is likely the reason he's a delusional metro sexual as a teenager. He knows what it is to be rejected because of one's appearance and he chooses to love Miyabi without caring about hers at all, it's seriously beautiful and the reason hes my favorite character in IS.

javadoze

Definitely makes the stuff in Persona 5 more frustrating, that's for sure. Especially since the Kanji plot in P4 indicates to me that they're capable of competently handling LGBT characters if they wanted to.

dan2026

It says a lot that people are struggling to identify any gay JRPG characters who aren't extremely ambiguous or some terrible stereotype.

I have to say it would of being extremely refreshing if there was just one gay romance option out of the 9 or so in Persona 5. Just one!
The protagonist is supposed to be somewhat of an avatar for the player right.
I guess only if you aren't gay.

Sigh, maybe next time.

Kinsei

Banned
It says a lot that people are struggling to identify any gay JRPG characters who aren't extremely ambiguous or some terrible stereotype.

I have to say it would of being extremely refreshing if there was just one gay romance option out of the 9 or so in Persona 5. Just one!
The protagonist is supposed to be somewhat of an avatar for the player right.
I guess only if you aren't gay.

Sigh, maybe next time.

Or a woman.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I expect P6 to be just as offensive if not more so.

Krabboss

I never finish P2 but I plan to do it later. For what I saw,the Jun stuff is the typical "character loves other character from the same sex soo much that gender does't matter" which is ehh... Why not just make a character that is sexually attracted to the opposite sex?

It's important to remember this isn't being held up as the absolute best way to handle gay characters. The point is that somehow no other JRPG has been able to do a better job since.

royox

Since Fang and Vanille are often mentioned as an example, how about these two?

eb6cc7c23ccad9a7b6cb9d451bafea49.jpg

They seem to have a very strong emotional bond/love with each other thoughout the game. In the game's official Japanese game guide the producer, Hideo Baba, states when asked about the relationship: "A standard m/f relationship would not work with Sorey and that Mikleo is his one and only".

I'm playing this game just now for the 1st time and it's clear as water that Sorey has a crush on Alisha since the first time they met.

It's also clear as water that Mikleo has a crush on Sorey.

Still haven't beaten it, don't spoil it to me :)

Or a woman.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I expect P6 to be just as offensive if not more so.

Apparently key members of the Persona team would not be working on the sixth one and they are recruiting new bloods for it. So it could go either way and I'm clinging on the hope that it'd be better in this aspect at least.

Top Bottom