• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 years later, and Persona 2 remains the most progressive JRPG about homosexuality.

Acid08

Banned
Not following up on this, or the female MCs of EP and P3P, are probably some of my biggest frustrations with modern Persona. It really does feel like the series has gone backwards in some respects. The series prides itself on this sense of tackling human issues maturely, but it's aggravating that there's so many underlying ideals in the recent games that go against that.

P2 is really such a special game. So criminal how overlooked it is.

P2 desperately needs an actual update. ISP is so frustrating to play, I could not stand it for more than maybe 30 minutes at a time.

Ravidrath

BTW, I popped onto 9Monsters (the most popular gay app in Japan) when I was there for TGS, and... based on that I feel like Tokyo could be in the running for gayest city in the world.

Just the sheer number of people on there made WeHo Grindr seem sparse by comparison.

So that's something I've thought a lot about since with regards to Japanese LBGTQ representation.

NichM

Banned
Maybe you should bring some up angles instead of criticizing.

I don't consider myself qualified either. It would feel strange to me, as a straight man, to say of anything, "This is the best representation in [Persona/JRPGs/video games] of something I have no personal experience with." I would rather not speak for those people on their behalf; better to let them speak for themselves and elevate their voices.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about it.

TheChaos

BTW, I popped onto 9Monsters (the most popular gay app in Japan) when I was there for TGS, and... based on that I feel like Tokyo could be in the running for gayest city in the world.

Just the sheer number of people on there made WeHo Grindr seem sparse by comparison.

So that's something I've thought a lot about since with regards to Japanese LBGTQ representation.

Don't mind me asking, but are there any LGBTQ characters in your game? I'm not demanding you have to put them in, mind you, just wondering.
So not even Vanille and Fang were lesbians? Ugh Japan.

Well maybe Nier? Other than that I'm pretty lost. Isn't there a gay character in Wild Arms 2?

No.

http://wildarms.wikia.com/wiki/Brad_Evans

Within some circles of fandom, Brad Evans has become a gay character icon. Unfortunately this is based heavily on a combanation of the game's poorly-translated dialog and its penchant for excessively-flowered prose, rather than any actual declaration of romantic affection within the game.

In the game's narrative, Billy Pilder and Brad developed a deep friendship as brothers-in-arms during their time in the Slayheim Liberation Army, and there is no question that their relationship is close. However, this is simply keeping with the fraternal closeness commonly found between fellow soldiers in wartime. Indeed, in the scene often cited as proof of a romantic relationship, Billy merely declares Brad his new "hero" after Brad confessions his feelings about being a martyr. In essence, this is the scene where Billy and Brad exchange their roles, and Brad recieves the courage medium as a result.

Finally, "Word of God" (that is, Sony of Japan) has declared that the above scene was not meant to imply a romantic relationship. This is made only slighly problematic because the other two similar scenes (with Tim Rhymeless and Colette Mapleleaf, and Ashley Winchester and Marina Irington) are explicitly romantic in nature.

Chase17

I guess Fire Emblem Fates has (limited) same sex marriage options. Although this is a game with a face touching mini game, so I can't attest to how well it's handled.

P2 desperately needs an actual update. ISP is so frustrating to play, I could not stand it for more than maybe 30 minutes at a time.

Yeah, I think it's honestly the actual game aspects of P2 that seem to put people off. Demon negotiation is kind of a hassle and the random encounters are abominable. Even I had trouble sticking with it.

But the tone, characters, and overall story are just god-damn, quite possibly the best in the series. A modern version that handles those things respectfully would do wonders.

Considering the aesthetic of the Radiant Historia remake that's a tall order.

I don't consider myself qualified either. It would feel strange to me, as a straight man, to say of anything, "This is the best representation in [Persona/JRPGs/video games] of something I have no personal experience with." I would rather not speak for those people on their behalf; better to let them speak for themselves and elevate their voices.

It's certainly a bit of forum hyperbole to proclaim something the greatest at doing something so personally affecting.

But... more importantly... uh, aren't you actually way more qualified to give some insight on this particular game?

Honestly I think that's a big opportunity missed in Persona 5.
Apart from the flamboyant gay couple who are actually kinda bad, especially the beach scene. But I really think there was a good opportunity for Yusuke to be a gay romance option.
But I guess waifus are more important to them.

Emil is a strong choice too, but its a bit unfair because it is not completely clear in the game. Hell the subtext isn't even in the Western version.

I'm going to have to play P2 at some point. They've been sitting on my Vita for a rainy day.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, there's a reason I never bothered with EP. If the "update" was that bad I cannot one of the original games can be anything but terrible.
They're products of their time. I still enjoy them, never felt different from other turn based RPGs of the era.

Cyframe

Makes Yosuke's behaviour in P4, and those NPCs in P5 even more disheartening. The series has definitely regressed in this area and it's very disappointing.

There has been some progress in a few other series like Fire Emblem (which had some good hidden behind some really bad), and the Tales series, but there's a long way to go before it's anywhere near adequate. They need to first move away from the endless teasing through subtext, and the damaging stereotypes heaped onto most actually confirmed gay characters.

And this is not just in Japan either, as we can see even western developers formally lauded for LGBT inclusion still stumbling. (Bioware.) While many other companies are still devoid of any true effort at all.

I remember Raven and Lucius and their supports in Fire Emblem 7.

Levito

Banned
Maybe I just want to highlight positive examples in the medium. Do I need a doctorate in the field or something? Maybe you should bring some up angles instead of criticizing.

It's true though, the title of this thread is a huge sprawling statement and really only queer folks themselves should be able to say what best represents them. Same goes for any marginalized group.

They're products of their time. I still enjoy them, never felt different from other turn based RPGs of the era.
IS gets a bum rap too because it's so unforgivingly hard to begin with. But once you get about halfway it's much much easier to the point where you can break the systems.

The rumors mechanic will never not be cool to me.

Thud

Yeah, there's a reason I never bothered with EP. If the "update" was that bad I cannot one of the original games can be anything but terrible.

It takes a bit longer to set up spells, but the auto mode then takes care of that.

Translation is a bit wonky tho. Eternal Punishment is a mustplay for the full Persona 2 experience.

PK Gaming

It's progressive, but not THE most progressive ("The most" is an absurd qualifier to throw around for any game). I can't even imagine making that claim since it's ultimately subjective.

IS gets a bum rap too because it's so unforgivingly hard to begin with. But once you get about halfway it's much much easier to the point where you can break the systems.

The rumors mechanic will never not be cool to me.

It's the opposite. That game is mindbogglingly easy. Not saying this as an SMT elitist either, the first major boss does single digit damage.

CazTGG

I guess Fire Emblem Fates has (limited) same sex marriage options. Although this is a game with a face touching mini game, so I can't attest to how well it's handled.

They're not great, mostly because the supports in Fates have a generally poor sense of progression, epseically when it comes to jumping from A to S support levels. It also featured this colossal screw-up so it's not exactly a good example of progressive relationships in a video game.

Persona 2 (both of them) doesn't get the credit it deserves for its impeccable handling of relatively mature themes, namely in regards to self-identity. It's a shame that the series, from Persona 3 onward, took a step backwards with the baffling inclusion of homophobia and transphobia.

rackham

Banned
With the way that birthrates are dropping in Japan, wouldn't be surprised if devs were intentionally avoiding any homosexuality in their games out of some weird thought process.

Rockk

mother 3 is probably the most progressive. One character's arc is about them not being able to express themselves as transgender and acting out/doing evil shit because of it.

This is actually something that has been bothering me with a lot of the Persona talk recently. If I was more eloquent, maybe I could make a thread about it, but I don't think I could properly frame it in a way that doesn't make people defensive.

As a queer man myself, Kanji's character in Persona resonated deeply with me. My adolescence was filled with a lot of unglamorous amounts of doubt and a lack of clear answers and confidence in something as primal as whom I felt attracted to. Specifically because of the ambiguity and warts of Kanji's problems, it felt like an extremely genuine representation of how I felt at that time, going through those same struggles.

A handful of my introverted gay friends who played the game were all similarly struck blind with how many feelings of stark recognition he brought up. Granted of course, this is a pretty small sample size.

Flash forward to eight years later, and there's no shortage of people throwing Hashino's team under the bus for LGBT representation, sometimes for what I can recognize as some pretty valid reasons.

The experience of figuring out where you fall on the kinsey spectrum isn't universal, and I can imagine my friends and I may very well be in the minority regarding how positively we view Kanji's characterization.

But I do get disheartened when I see a lot of (presumably) straight people citing him as poor, or inauthentic representation. Perhaps their heart is in the right place, but what passes a binary of 'is this good/bad semi-objective representation' is an incredibly bold claim to make when you're already part of the represented group, and feels fairly disingenuous if you're an outsider or ally.

So what is the point of this thread? To say that P2 is a cool fun game and P5 could stand to do a lot better? I'd actually agree, but I think using the authenticity of LGBT representation isn't a great way to make that point.

The Wart

This is ridiculous. Straight people can and should think and form opinions about portrayals of homosexuality in the media. There are also different perspectives and nuances that are should be acknowledged and discussed. If you have a different perspective or think the OP is missing something then go ahead and add to the discussion. But what you're doing just comes across as defensively trying to shut down criticism.

Similarly, straight developers need to form perspectives and opinions on homosexual representation in their games. They can't just throw up their hands and say "Well I'm not gay so I'm not going to say or do anything about it".

voodew

Neo Member
It's true though, the title of this thread is a huge sprawling statement and really only queer folks themselves should be able to say what best represents them. Same goes for any marginalized group.
Queer person here, lol. I can assure you there's a lot of us who feel as if we don't need to be shutting down the voices of other advocates for progressive representation in gaming just because they want to express their pleasure, bring awareness, and open discussion for what they feel is positive representation. Especially in this case, as I've also know a lot of queer people within this forum and within my circles that have expressed their joy for this character.

andymcc

Banned
This is ridiculous. Straight people can and should think and form opinions about portrayals of homosexuality in the media. There are also different perspectives and nuances that are should be acknowledged and discussed. If you have a different perspective or think the OP is missing something then go ahead and add to the discussion. But what you're doing just comes across as defensively trying to shut down criticism.

Similarly, straight developers need to form perspectives and opinions on homosexual representation in their games. They can't just throw up their hands and say "Well I'm not gay so I'm not going to say or do anything about it".

I think he may have translated a persona game or two during his tenure with Atlus. ;)

1741699-2132401742_view_noscale.jpg

Emil, from Nier.
Yeah, so good we only know because of a book outside the game.

There was, like, one scene where it was even remotely hinted at, and it was subtle (even if I picked up on it 'cause I related. But even then, it could have just as easily been strong affection, especially since he's a kid and the US version uses Dad Nier...).

Automata's super cool about it, though. NPCs just saying girlfriend/etc with no fuss (don't think I've seen dudes say boyfriends yet). Acknowledgment is always better than eggshell-walking, and it's always a positive when someone's already okay with being gay/etc.

Not saying there's no room for coming-out arcs, because it can help some people cope for sure.

RM8

I guess it's not terrible for Japan, which is a bar so low it's almost ground level, lol. Also I've never played a Persona game but this game's art style is so much better than the most recent game's art style, I kind of want to play it.

Theswweet

I think the whole Soleil thing is MASSIVELY misunderstood, since it's never even implied she was gay to begin with, but I agree that it definitely could've been written better because the premise itself is confusing and if nothing else invites the criticism.

...that being said, unless I'm mistaken, didn't the Fire Emblem Fates translation not translate the unique support conversations that you got for romancing the same-sex? I want to say I remember hearing something along those lines near release, though obviously I could be wrong. Anyone remember what's up with that?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Persona 1 and 2 in general were different works entirely in the SMT verse, they might as well be called something entirely different from Persona 3 onward

Squire

Banned

Queer person here, lol. I can assure you there's a lot of us who feel as if we don't need to be shutting down the voices of other advocates for progressive representation in gaming just because they want to express their pleasure, bring awareness, and open discussion for what they feel is positive representation. Especially in this case, as I've also know a lot of queer people within this forum and within my circles that have expressed their joy for this character.

No one is saying straight people shouldn't think and form perspectives on how LGBT people are represented in art and media. Straight, cis-gendered people shouldn't speak on these things too authoritatively though, either.

You can read every book and talk to every person in the world, but some experiences you simply don't know until you live them. As a black man, I'm not terribly interested in hearing a white persona opinion on, say, the absolute best movie about the evils of systemic racism. That doesn't mean I don't talk to my white fridges about race. I do often.

Some people think being a good ally is "staying in your lane", but I think a better way to put it is knowing and respecting your boundaries. You can do a lot of good work inside of those boundaries, wherever they're set.

Inuhanyou

I generally encourage LGBT, and female representation in all forms of media, but are you implying devs have an obligation to put in things in their game purely for representation's sake and not because they feel they would be a good fit for their game at large? Especially if they don't have the mind to put the effort or research into the decision to make it non offensive and as authentic as possible.

I feel like an area of criticism could come from that, any minority group could essentially make the argument that devs who aren't representative of a community don't have the right to preach or make commentary on something they don't represent or know anything about.

I felt especially uncomfortable in Prototype 2, where i was so happy to see a black man of my color in a game....only to see him portrayed and act like a mentally deficient gangster wanna be with a shitty angry sounding "black voice" popping off expletives all the time with barely any nuance to his character after the first cutscene. It was disappointing, and i would have liked to hear what the devs decision was regarding the making of the character.

Syril

It's more obvious in Replicant, where he says he'd want to marry Brother Nier. It's kinda vagued up in Gestalt/the English version. I think Yoko Taro also confirmed it himself somewhere?
He commented in an interview about everyone who travelled with Nier having a crush on him at one point or another. In the Gestalt version it comes off more as him looking up to Nier as something of a father figure.

NichM

Banned
But what you're doing just comes across as defensively trying to shut down criticism.

Shutting down criticism or defending the later Persona games (assuming that's what you meant by "defensively," although I mean, I also worked on P2IS so I have no real dog in this fight) isn't what I'm about here, or else I wouldn't have linked two well-considered pieces critical of those games upthread. Nor am I saying straight people don't get to have opinions about LGBTQ content in games, because I definitely have opinions there too.

But I do try to make sure those opinions are informed by people with lived experience when it comes to the subject matter, as opposed to the ambient received wisdom on these matters from society at large. Maybe Jun is the best, but if he is, I'm more interested in that argument made from a place of knowledge as opposed to cultural assumptions.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Jun always felt like the natural choice in Innocent Sin. Plus it makes him a better villain. His obssesion over avenging Maya's death doesn't come from anything romantic. He's a gay dude who saw a schoolgirl get murdered and is more than ready for the ultimate revenge for that. Very unique and so damn good. Gaming and cinema are filled with straight men seeking revenge for women. Innocent Sin has the gay dude seeking retribution for a girl's death. I deeply respect that.

It's a huge shame that FemC in Persona 3 cannot romance any other girls. So regressive. I never felt like any of the male romances fit. She should be with Mitsuru.

jorgeton

Umm.. Enchanted Arms says hello

Kidding!

I know folks swear Vanille and Fang are lovers, but that's nowhere in any of the the FFXIII games IMO. I always thought of them as sisters. I would love a JRPG that outright said "this character is gay!" instead of hinting at it or innuendo. It might be a cultural thing?

Kanji's initial arc in P4 had my jaw on the ground. i thought "holy shit, this is it. A JRPG tackling whats its like to come out in high school, the shame.. the stigma.... the.. oh wait." It was so close.

So I will play JRPGs for the grinding, atmosphere and god killing, not so much for accurate representations of LGBTQ people.

And I'm 60 hours deep into P5 and not seeing what everyone is so upset about. Is it the two NPC's that hit on D-bag Ryuiji for like a hot second? They've had about 30 seconds of screentime so far, so I wasn't really upset by it.

Inuhanyou

Kidding!

I know folks swear Vanille and Fang are lovers, but that's nowhere in any of the the FFXIII games IMO. I always thought of them as sisters. I would love a JRPG that outright said "this character is gay!" instead of hinting at it or innuendo. It might be a cultural thing?

Kanji's initial arc in P4 had my jaw on the ground. i thought "holy shit, this is it. A JRPG tackling whats its like to come out in high school, the shame.. the stigma.... the.. oh wait." It was so close.

So I will play JRPGs for the grinding, atmosphere and god killing, not so much for accurate representations of LGBTQ people.

And I'm 60 hours deep into P5 and not seeing what everyone is so upset about. Is it the two NPC's that hit on D-bag Ryuiji for like a hot second? They've had about 30 seconds of screentime so far, so I wasn't really upset by it.

It still could be considered problematic as a portrayal, which is the whole point. that kind of thing should not be in a game which proports itself to be about exploring semi progressive themes on exploring one's failings, and changing one's self and getting to know others beyond the rumors and the shallow bullshit of their appearance.

THe whole game constantly has people muttering stupid rumors under their breath about you that are not true, it should stay true to that in ever situation

jorgeton

That is really IYO. Because that was clear as a crisp spring morning.

Hmm, possibly. I just wish the game would've said it out right if it were the case instead of trying to have it both ways.

It still could be considered problematic as a portrayal, which is the whole point, that kind of thing should not be in a game which proports itself to be about exploring semi progressive themes on exploring one's failings and changing one's self and getting to know others beyond the rumors and the shallow bullshit of their appearance.

THe whole game constantly has people muttering stupid rumors under their breath about you that are not true, it should stay true to that in ever situation

True, but I just think the hand-wringing over these two characters versus their screentime is a little overblown. I do think the game did a good job with the trans bartender.

But, I do wish you could boo up with the male party members.

Maybe in P6?

Bladenic

Can y'all stop it with that "are you qualified" bullshit? If you don't agree, then provide a counter example. It's that simple. I didn't see OP make the claim that he's an expert in the field of JRPG gay representation.

And what's frustrating about games like XIII and even Tales of Zestiria is that they skirt the line way too much without ever fully comitting. I do think Vanille and Fang were totally lovers especially by the end of LR, and Sorey and Mikleo was heavily implied too, but why just fuck around? Tell us they're a couple.

Kinsei

Banned
Hmm, possibly. I just wish the game would've said it out right if it were the case instead of trying to have it both ways.

True, but I just think the hand-wringing over these two characters versus their screentime is a little overblown. I do think the game did a good job with the trans bartender.

But, I do wish you could boo up with the male party members.

Maybe in P6?

There is no trans bartender in P5. They make it very clear that Lala is just a drag queen.

The handwringing is because those two men are the only homosexual representation in P5. It makes it pretty clear what the developers think of gay people when the only ones in the game sexually harass a teenage boy and try to force him to strip.

Kidding!

Its upsetting because it's the only representation an explicitly gay character gets. It's basically just saying haha gay people are predators and leave it at that. That's extremely problematic.

You are right in that it was quick which I was happy about because I was disgusted by the whole scene.

Jun always felt like the natural choice in Innocent Sin. Plus it makes him a better villain. His obssesion over avenging Maya's death doesn't come from anything romantic. He's a gay dude who saw a schoolgirl get murdered and is more than ready for the ultimate revenge for that. Very unique and so damn good. Gaming and cinema are filled with straight men seeking revenge for women. Innocent Sin has the gay dude seeking retribution for a girl's death. I deeply respect that.

It's a huge shame that FemC in Persona 3 cannot romance any other girls. So regressive. I never felt like any of the male romances fit. She should be with Mitsuru.

I never tried it but I thought I heard you could romance Aigis or Elizabeth

jorgeton

There is no trans bartender in P5. They make it very clear that Lala is just a drag queen.

The handwringing is because those two men are the only homosexual representation in P5. It makes it pretty clear what the developers think of gay people when the only ones in the game sexually harass a teenage boy and try to force him to strip.

Its upsetting because it's the only representation an explicitly gay character gets. It's basically just saying haha gay people are predators and leave it at that. That's extremely problematic.

I hear you. I guess I'm just so used to that trope in JRPGs that it didn't bother me. Also, Ryuji sucks and it's good to see him squirm. I would love Persona to be a truly progressive series when it comes to LGBTQ issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom