• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not working tomorrow. Pick up the game first thing in the morning. Will play all day long. Should have plenty of free time this month to dedicate to it but realistically this game will probably take me the rest of the year to finish. Looking forward to it.

ubiblu

Massive P4G fan with a basic handle of Japanese after years of living there and studying in my youth. Pre-loaded and ready to dive in after work tomorrow. We have several long weekends coming up in Australia, so should find plenty of time to play!

I can't believe so many people are getting this without knowing a lick of Japanese. I can't wait for the terrible fan translations (and the subsequent complaining that the official translation isn't faithful).

So frustrating, I've got plans for tomorrow night as well as all day Saturday and Sunday... I might not get to dig into the game until Monday. Long weekend next week from Thursday to Sunday though, so that's nice!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
How many of you are playing who don't know Japanese? I know very little Japanese and I'm undecided if I should get this. The last import I had was Dark Souls 3 and I had no problems with that. What will you guys be using to help play?
I doubt not knowing Japanese is going to make the game unbeatable.

What you should probably be asking yourself is what you're looking to get out of the game at that point. If you just want to play a stylish RPG to enjoy the dungeons and gameplay you'll probably be fine, but not being able to enjoy any social links, not understanding what choices you're picking, and missing all the plot details in the story seems like an experience most fans of the series wouldn't be interested in.

How many of you are playing who don't know Japanese? I know very little Japanese and I'm undecided if I should get this. The last import I had was Dark Souls 3 and I had no problems with that. What will you guys be using to help play?

I know very little written japanese (something like 300 kanji), as I mostly train my oral expression and comprehension, which are intermediate at best. So playing the game will not be a walk in the park.

There will be lots of pausing, and lookup for kanji and words. A tablet with google translate (from photos) should be handy. If stuck, a japanese wiki will help.

Wish me luck, and good luck to you if you decide to go for it too. It will be more difficult that with DS3 for sure, but if you can afford it time-wise and money-wise, well...

bluethree

I'm fluent in Japanese now, but Innocent Sin was my first game in the language many years ago, back when I barely knew the language...and honestly, it just wasn't that fun not understanding everything. I can understand wanting to get into this ASAP, but Persona games aren't necessarily the best choice for your first import RPG...

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Guys.... Beneath The Mask with vocals is AMAZING

"Where have you been?"
I love how comfy it sounds. Far easier on the ears than the equivalents in part games in my opinion.

12BoM

"Where have you been?"
I love how comfy it sounds. Far easier on the ears than the equivalents in part games in my opinion.

I'm so glad to have gotten the OST w/o spoilers.. quickly skipping any tracks that sounds late game/final boss-y.

But it's just so damn smooth. That highlight OST honestly had me a little worried

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wasn't a huge fan of P4, but I love Persona as a series. Really excited for P5! Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding posting story spoilers in this thread, I think the best way to handle it would be to preface any spoilery text or images with the ingame date that it takes place, so that people know whether the spoiler is further into the game than them. For cases where the date itself is a spoiler (eg. further than we know the calendar extends), then it could just be labeled as major spoilers. Obviously this wouldn't work for things like co-ops though, since everyone will do them in a different order.

Something like this

I'll get as far as I can go with my limited Japanese (still learning) and then wait for February. I'm mainly importing for the CE tbh....

I've haven't spoiled anything since the first trailer (besides the characters since they are on the boxart) so I just wanted to pop in here and ask:

Do we know what the protagonists canon name is? I wanna name him the canon name but there doesn't seem to be any yet. I don't want to name him a name and then have Q2/Arena 3/anime/etc give an actual name. So annoying. :/ Atlus stahp.

Speaking of anime: There was a short on this right? Is watching the short before playing the game the idea or as someone who wants to go in blind as possible should I just wait for the game.

The long wait to February begins.

Really looking forward to this game come Feb. GAF got me into the souls games so i am expecting great things from this game. Hope the game is awesome for you importers. Hope this gets a pro patch.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know what the protagonists canon name is? I wanna name him the canon name but there doesn't seem to be any yet. I don't want to name him a name and then have Q2/Arena 3/anime/etc give an actual name. So annoying. :/ Atlus stahp.
Nope. They had a gameplay demo where they literally typed "主人 公" (Main Character) for his name. We have no canon name, though I heard that there's a manga coming out very soon that might do it, but I've not been following that.
Speaking of anime: There was a short on this right? Is watching the short before playing the game the idea or as someone who wants to go in blind as possible should I just wait for the game.
I would advise against watching it given how much you've avoided. It takes place a few months into the game and reveals a bit. It's not spoilery, but with what you've said you've avoided, this might be too much.
The short is also definitely not required before playing the game, it's more of a "glimpse" at the game.

Nope. They had a gameplay demo where they literally typed "主人 公" (Main Character) for his name. We have no canon name, though I heard that there's a manga coming out very soon that might do it, but I've not been following that.

I would advise against watching it given how much you've avoided. It takes place a few months into the game and reveals a bit. It's not spoilery, but with what you've said you've avoided, this might be too much.
The short is also definitely not required before playing the game, it's more of a "glimpse" at the game.
Alright, thanks for the info!

Hopefully they'll do that manga before the US Release.

And for sure skipping the anime so thanks!

Edit: Googling says the manga starts on September 15th so I'll keep looking for a hopeful name from it.

Tirod

Is it really going to cost $130 CAD to get all the credit I need to buy this game?

Are you looking to buy a 10k yen card? If so, that's about how much it is with CAD. I suppose you could try to buy 5k + 3k + another smaller denomination, but that's more of a hassle.

I dunno if I'm going to sleep tonight, tomorrow morning is gonna be like Christmas. I have the whole day to play. :)

DMB4237

Neo Member
Are you looking to buy a 10k yen card? If so, that's about how much it is with CAD. I suppose you could try to buy 5k + 3k + another smaller denomination, but that's more of a hassle.

I dunno if I'm going to sleep tonight, tomorrow morning is gonna be like Christmas. I have the whole day to play. :)

Yeah buying the 10k is like 4 dollars more than buying the denominations individually, but you get more bang for your buck. It's crazy how expensive it all is though.

daevious

I'm another soul who isn't going to hang around the Import OT too much for fear of spoilers, but I hope that all those lucky guys and gals who're going to play this game sooner than the rest of us have a blast with it.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Paid for my digital copy, only about 14 hours until it unlocks...But I got work tomorrow, so I probably won't play it til tomorrow evening. Luckily next Monday is a holiday here in Japan, so I can play like crazy on the 3 day weekend. Next Thursday is a holiday too, thinking about taking Friday off and having a 4 day weekend for Persona.

I've haven't spoiled anything since the first trailer (besides the characters since they are on the boxart) so I just wanted to pop in here and ask:

The long wait to February begins.

His name is
Harry Potter

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Ughhhhhh why physical media gotta take time to move from place to place

Yeah. After telling myself repeatedly that I didn't need it, I gave in about a week back and got a digital copy as well just so I didn't have to wait for my physical version to ship.
Happy to give Atlus more money though, game looks well worth it and then some.

This is probably the first and last game I import digitally and pay $100+ for but this is Persona 5, a game I've been waiting on since 2013. Tomorrow morning at work is going to be a damn slog. Gonna get home and just play for the rest of the day :)

I'm aiming to finally finish off Xenoblade Chronicles whilst I'm waiting for P5 to arrive. I'm mildly paranoid I'll crack and buy the digital version in the meantime, but I'll try to stay busy. Ha.

Ughhhhhh why physical media gotta take time to move from place to place

I look forward to teleporting packages. Hurry up, technology. What do mean, Stark Trek isn't real? Pffft.

ranmafan

I'm a bit jealous at all those that will play the digital version tonight, but I think I made the right call going physical again this time. I considered getting the digital one but many factors, such as cheaper price, work tomorrow so I won't be able to stay up late to play tonight, and the special edition having some nice items made me just decide to wait the few extra hours to play it. Will be worth it come tomorrow night but I'm going to be a bit nervous checking out this thread in the morning trying to avoid any accidental spoilers.

Lynx_7

Edit: Googling says the manga starts on September 15th so I'll keep looking for a hopeful name from it.

I think it's important to note the manga name will probably not be the canon name considering "Minato Arisato" was ditched for "Makoto Yuki" in the movies and whatever Charlie Tunoku's manga name is was pretty much shoved aside for "Yu Narukami".

Darksol

Yeah. Only knowing Kawaii and Konnichiwa and then seeing this as soon as the game starts:

正体不明の移動物体は依然本所に対し進行中

=大変

本所? That's the only thing I don't know. Is that like a place of origin or starting point or something?

I really want to play this game but P4G didn't click me. Am I missing anything from Persona series? I feel P4G too boring, I stopped playing at the camping part.

本所? That's the only thing I don't know. Is that like a place of origin or starting point or something?
Something like that. The English translation says "The unidentified mobile object is still advancing on our position."

I can't find out what it says as there's no definitions for it. I see locations for 本所(ほんじょ) but not any words but at least knowing the kanji sort of lets you know what it means.

Sakura

Took the day off work and school tomorrow so I can play all day. Unfortunately have to work the long weekend though... need to get as many hours in as I can.

After a lot of thought, I've decided I'll wait till February. Tough decision but whatever. It really comes down to enjoyment vs immediacy and at the end of the day, I know I won't enjoy it much without knowing the context.

Blueblur1

So I looked up the game on Amazon.jp and noticed a bunch of different editions. With the help of PlayAsia's product page I've figured out that there are two Famitsu special editions that bring mini-figures or a light LED stand along with the mini-figures.

But what about the Amazon editions listed? I believe they come with something called "amazon.co.jp limited there benefits (in planning)" according to translation. Anyone familiar with what that is?

Sakura

So I looked up the game on Amazon.jp and noticed a bunch of different editions. With the help of PlayAsia's product page I've figured out that there are two Famitsu special editions that bring mini-figures or a light LED stand along with the mini-figures.

But what about the Amazon editions listed? I believe they come with something called "amazon.co.jp limited there benefits (in planning)" according to translation. Anyone familiar with what that is?

Depending on what retailer you get the game from, there will be different bonuses. Amazon's I believe is some themes and avatars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom