• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I haven't finished Makoto's Confidant, but my brother chose her to romance monogamously.

Makoto & Ann Confidant Level 10 spoilers
My brother said she doesn't put out? You barely hug? He was surprised when I told him they made it obvious you were doing stuff in your bedroom and then the seaside park ride in Ann's level 10.

The things that flesh out Makoto's character is the sort of thing I didn't like in Persona 5 funny enough haha. I mean coming off of Persona 4 Golden, where you rarely ever see events that your character himself is not directly about to view, we're treated to scenes with Ann, Makoto, Haru etc that show some character development/motivation which could have been in their S link instead (Oh yeah the villains are the worst with exposition exposition exposition!)

I think more needs to be added definitely, maybe the early nights Morgana just forces you to go to bed can be dropped, I'm sure that frees up a lot of time during the game.

Can't disagree, the social link system needs an upgrade, imagine dating Tae early on in the game and not seeing her for the next few months :p

Also felt weird I'm besties with a lot of people like the politician and the Ohya but I never see them again
I mean all those scenes with Dojima and later
[Persona 4 Golden Spoilers]
when Nanako got sick and Teddie was talking with her
. There are scenes like these in all SMT/Persona games.

Jintor

Why are they wearing each others' clothes?

tumblr_m6cxbx4MgW1qg8477.png

mollipen

Between
hitting her friend

That's what was needed in the situation.

bossing everyone around

Somebody had to properly take charge of the group, because your character really doesn't.

her short temper

Not?

and telling you you're not attractive enough to pretend to be her boyfriend?

Because the two people you'll be hanging out with are hugely superficial, not because she thinks you're not handsome enough.

P6 definitely needs to completely overhaul the romance system because honestly the romance in P5 is overwhelmingly trash. For such a big selling point (don't pretend it isn't) it's baffling how bad it is.

Persona 6, if it keeps going in this current direction, needs a huge amount of overhauling—because, three games in, it's become far too obvious how shallow so much of the game is.

Somebody had to properly take charge of the group, because your character really doesn't.

Not?

Because the two people you'll be hanging out with are hugely superficial, not because she thinks you're not handsome enough.

Persona 6, if it keeps going in this current direction, needs a huge amount of overhauling—because, three games in, it's become far too obvious how shallow so much of the game is.

^ seconded

Astral

I said before that the MC and Makoto look so good together because their designs compliment each other so well. But lately they haven't been standing or sitting next to each other and it's frustrating!

Not?

Pretty much. Makoto is pretty much in shock when the gang gets together the first time with her at how disorganized the whole thing is. The Phantom Thieves pre-Makoto is not much more in terms of strategy other than I WILL PUNCH HIM FOR JUSTICE and doing an awful job of actually being Phantom.

Without Makoto the team probably ends up in parts in a dumpster behind the school once the main bad guys decide it's time to move.

mollipen

I said before that the MC and Makoto look so good together because their designs compliment each other so well. But lately they haven't been standing or sitting next to each other and it's frustrating!

One of the things I said Atlus could have done on a very low level that would've been easy was to have your character and your girlfriend sit next to each other during meeting. Or, be waiting for the train together sometimes in the mornings. Those little moments that show that they're actually a couple outside of social link outings.

One of the things I said Atlus could have done on a very low level that would've been easy was to have your character and your girlfriend sit next to each other during meeting. Or, be waiting for the train together sometimes in the mornings. Those little moments that show that they're actually a couple outside of social link outings.

So much this.

I'm near the end now. My goal is to date all the girl (suck it Ryuji and Yusuke) and I have only Haru left at LV 8. So far I like Futaba romance the best. It's really funny seeing her response and I feel it's very natural and subtle. The worst gotta be the reporter. Damnit I didn't get you to LV 10 just to listen to your work!

LotusHD

Banned

Yep, the fact that little stuff like that didn't even happen almost makes me question why this thread had to be made when the whole romance aspect of the game (and presumably the previous ones) are so... lacking. I was so saddened once I quickly realized that after Rank 10 that's pretty much it outside of a few more scenes.

Mediking

Yep, the fact that little stuff like that didn't even happen almost makes me question why this thread had to be made when the whole romance aspect of the game (and presumably the previous ones) are so... lacking. I was so saddened once I quickly realized that after Rank 10 that's pretty much it outside of a few more scenes.

Thread was made so people like me who love discussing waifu can have a safe haven without getting ignored or slapped in other places on GAF. Lol

Astral

If it weren't for me buying healing items, I'd have stopped seeing Tae since like July. And even then it sucks that she doesn't acknowledge your relationship when you buy items. It's just like "god the weather sucks. What the fuck are you buying?"

Mediking

I'm hip, that's why I said almost lol

Lol but you know... there's people on GAF that's prolly lurking and looking at this thread like, "Really?" Lmao.

But hey... I like it here. Now that I've actually beat Palace 3 and seen some waifu... I wanna discuss them.

LotusHD

Banned
Lol but you know... there's people on GAF that's prolly lurking and looking at this thread like, "Really?" Lmao.

But hey... I like it here. Now that I've actually beat Palace 3 and seen some waifu... I wanna discuss them.

Lol probably. Either way, the thread is a good idea. Anyways, not like I can say anything, I've been here far too long lmao, and I enjoy it anyhow.

But damn, before I began to play the existence of this thread had me thinking it'd be some Triss vs. Yen level shit in terms of integrating their romance into the story. In hindsight it was quite unrealistic to expect that from a game where you have a lot more options, but meh, I still thought they'd do a lot better in this regard.

Mediking

Lol probably. Either way, the thread is a good idea. Anyways, not like I can say anything, I've been here far too long lmao, and I enjoy it anyhow.

But damn, before I began to play the existence of this thread had me thinking it'd be some Ciri vs. Yen level shit in terms of integrating their romance into the story. In hindsight it was quite unrealistic to expect that from a game where you have a lot more options, but meh, I still thought they'd do a lot better in this regard.

I haven't got that far into P5 (only just beat Palace 3) so I can't really go into depth about romance but from what I've been seeing from you and others... it sounds like Atlus needs to improve on this and that's totally fine.

From where I stand... Becky is that... ;D

The first event regarding Makoto almost made me scream she's waifu. Lol

But then there's Ann... Ahhhh....

Oh and Team Yennefer all the way. I think you meant to say Triss instead of Yen too. Lol

LotusHD

Banned
I haven't got that far into P5 (only just beat Palace 3) so I can't really go into depth about romance but from what I've been seeing from you and others... it sounds like Atlus needs to improve on this and that's totally fine.

From where I stand... Becky is that... ;D

The first event regarding Makoto almost made me scream she's waifu. Lol

But then there's Ann... Ahhhh....

Oh and Team Yennefer all the way. I think you meant to say Triss instead of Yen too. Lol

Lmao I meant to say Triss and Yen, no Ciri for this guy

But yes, Team Yennefer indeed

Mediking

Next game needs to be in college already. I wanted to have a drink with Ohya so bad.

Lol people keep forgetting that the high school setting greatly helps Atlus play around with subject matters like Becky and drinking alcohol. Switch it to college and suddenly a college professor calling you "Master" and laying on your bed turns less hot (but not by much) because you'll be like, "I'm not underage... so..." Lol

The high school setting can be improved on and greatly changed. Give Atlus time to think about it for Persona 6.

The social link system definitely needs an overhaul. I think the rigid 10 level structure is...well, way too rigid. Some characters could use more levels and others could use less. I think a lot of the problems stem from trying to cram different stories into a uniform structure. Ann could definitely use more breathing room. Ohya, on the other hand, could use less.

I think it would be better if links were much faster to level up, but you have to maintain them in order to prevent them from going down. This gets rid of the issue of completely ignoring maxed social links for the rest of the game and gives players incentives to retain their battle perks.

But for those willing to put in the effort, you can "lock" a social link at max level if you invest enough time into them, but you could only feasibly lock a few links through a single playthrough.

I think the Confidant system feels lacking in P5 only because other aspects of the game have leaped forward. It's time for a change.
A fixed 10 spots for everyone isn't the problem. Having everyone be equal for perks and such makes a lot of sense for a gameplay perspective. The actual problem is that romance kicks in a 9 and there aren't subtle ways to resolve it other than
- A) yes I like you
- B) I'm going to reject you as coldly as possible.

The adult romances in the game being semi reluctant and requiring multiple "correct answers" to trigger romance are better, but they should probably be spread out over a few links.

Ideally, I'd like to see more links that function more like Ai from P4
- possibility for romance mid link
- possibility for romance to end up as friendship
- possibility for friendship to end up as romance
- link reversals for finding out you are dating someone else's (or choosing obviously bad dialogue options)

But I'm sure after their experiment with Ai, they have probably decided against it for time saving reasons. To implement it on a broader scale would pretty much guarantee they would never have time to branch out into things like a female MC or gay romance options.

Also forcing you to "maintain" your links to get/keep perks is terrible, it changes the fun aspect into work and we all saw how it turned out in GTA IV. That would be the worst thing Altus could do for social links.

One good thing I'll say Atlus did though is improving some of the in-between events where you don't rank up. I'm so used to it being a generic sequence from P4 that I ignored them for most of the early game and didn't realise that that is when you get to go to different hangout spots and still get to find out a bit more about the confidant (and get something for your room). This was pretty good and I'd love to see it expanded in the next game. Maybe with the options to go out somewhere as a group on a Sunday as well?

Thread was made so to quarantine people like me who love discussing waifu can have a safe haven without getting ignored or slapped in other places on so the other threads on GAF can be a safe haven. Lol
FTFY.

MC sits next to Ann a lot #justsaying

LotusHD

Banned
Lol people keep forgetting that the high school setting greatly helps Atlus play around with subject matters like Becky and drinking alcohol. Switch it to college and suddenly a college professor calling you "Master" and laying on your bed turns less hot (but not by much) because you'll be like, "I'm not underage... so..." Lol

The high school setting can be improved on and greatly changed. Give Atlus time to think about it for Persona 6.

I mean, they could just not have a professor that calls you "Master" lol

Xeteh

MC sits next to Ann a lot #justsaying

Not really. I romanced Ann in my original playthrough and it prompted the same thought mollipen had. They don't interact at all beyond specific designated scenes and it always comes off as strange, every other scene makes it look like they just argued before everyone got there and are trying to play it cool.

Not really. I romanced Ann in my original playthrough and it prompted the same thought mollipen had. They don't interact at all beyond specific designated scenes and it always comes off as strange, every other scene makes it look like they just argued before everyone got there and are trying to play it cool.

I guess the hashtag didn't give it away, but I was joking.

Astral

Lmao

??? Whatcha mean? I think I know what you mean... but clarify just in case.

Catherine had sex but it wasn't something very explicit like The Witcher or Mass Effect. I mean stuff like Catherine lying with Vincent, naked after a nightmare and talking and stuff. I think scenes like that would be a good fit for a Persona game. It would be weird with high school students though.

Mediking

Catherine had sex but it wasn't something very explicit like The Witcher or Mass Effect. I mean stuff like Catherine lying with Vincent, naked after a nightmare and talking and stuff. I think scenes like that would be a good fit for a Persona game.

True.... but things could easily fall into a slippery slope and we might end up playing a romantic movie. Lol

A girl sneaks out of Joker's room at night...

Ryuji or somebody else happens to see this...

Lmao I don't hafta go on.

Astral

True.... but things could easily fall into a slippery slope and we might end up playing a romantic movie. Lol

A girl sneaks out of Joker's room at night...

One of MC's other girls or somebody else happens to see this...

Lmao I don't hafta go on.

Fixed man. Think of the possibilities.

mollipen

Didn't Catherine also have a guy flipping his shit out at the revelation? And do you really think Atlus would handle it well considering everything LGBT in this game?

I'm one of the people who wasn't bothered by that whole thing in the game. I think, unlike say the gay representation in P5, this slice of LGBT in Catherine was handled with more realism. Plus, the main characters were all kind of shitty people in their own ways anyhow, and the character in question was pretty good beyond the crap they took.

But, anyhow.

The characters in this game are kids.

The argument is, in part, to stop giving us kids.

Didn't Catherine also have a guy flipping his shit out at the revelation? And do you really think Atlus would handle it well considering everything LGBT in this game?

I mean in some ways it was one of the most progressive games when it comes to trans characters when it came out at least by just including one who wasn't a villain or throwaway npc. Honestly Erica comes off to me as someone who gets picked on not because she's trans but because she grew up with the guys who all pick on each other. The ending for her and Toby is actually pretty sweet.

Opto

Banned
I think a flaw in the blank slate protagonist is that it prevents me from feeling a connection to any of the confidants. Maybe giving them actual dialog (not choices) so it feels like they're a part of the group and not mostly a silent observer. Or if that's too much, at least show the protag portrait with a matching expression when they choose a dialog option. So much of P5's dialog feels naural (minus the clear translation issues that pop up) that being this silent pillar breaks the immersion

Mediking

I think a flaw in the blank slate protagonist is that it prevents me from feeling a connection to any of the confidants. Maybe giving them actual dialog (not choices) so it feels like they're a part of the group and not mostly a silent observer. Or if that's too much, at least show the protag portrait with a matching expression when they choose a dialog option. So much of P5's dialog feels naural (minus the clear translation issues that pop up) that being this silent pillar breaks the immersion

That's actually something that's been bothering me too... Joker needs to be expressive more besides his cool animations in conversations.

Astral

I just had the festival date with Makoto. She's cute af but it'd be nice if she was more affectionate and touchy. Beep boop.

I mean in some ways it was one of the most progressive games when it comes to trans characters when it came out at least by just including one who wasn't a villain or throwaway npc. Honestly Erica comes off to me as someone who gets picked on not because she's trans but because she grew up with the guys who all pick on each other. The ending for her and Toby is actually pretty sweet.

True. And if I recall the guys seemed to all be completely comfortable with their friend. I wonder who wrote Catherine vs P5.

btw I am all for a college setting/early adulthood Persona title. I know it's unlikely to ever happen. But if that's the case, then give me another game with a Catherine-like setting then. It can be a puzzle game instead of an rpg but at least keep the social VN aspects of Persona. Catherine only really let you chat with the guys at the bar as the social aspect.

LotusHD

Banned

That's actually something that's been bothering me too... Joker needs to be expressive more besides his cool animations in conversations.

Yea the most awkward thing is when someone's just spilling your guts to you, and from our perspective we just remain silent the whole time. Like yea, you got dialogue choices, but it still feels weird...

Like I harp on this while I'm fine with say Link from BoTW because this game is sort of doing this whole "having your cake and eating it too" deal where he can clearly speak and say lines, which in turn makes me greatly desire a MC that speaks, but whenever you're controlling him he's silent. It's jarring.

Mailbox

not sure if everyone knew this or not, but there is at least 1 extra scene in the confidants after maxing.

I maxed Ann (romanced), and then if you hang out w/ her post maxing, you go to your bedroom...

Just so everyone knows.

True. And if I recall the guys seemed to all be completely comfortable with their friend. I wonder who wrote Catherine vs P5.

btw I am all for a college setting/early adulthood Persona title. I know it's unlikely to ever happen. But if that's the case, then give me another game with a Catherine-like setting then. It can be a puzzle game instead of an rpg but at least keep the social VN aspects of Persona. Catherine only really let you chat with the guys at the bar as the social aspect.

Persona 2 eternal punishment had basically an all adult main cast, so anything is possible really. Would honestly LOVE to see a college persona game. Especially if they try and make the romance systems better next time, i think a college setting would be ace.

not sure if everyone knew this or not, but there is at least 1 extra scene in the confidants after maxing.

I maxed Ann (romanced), and then if you hang out w/ her post maxing, you go to your bedroom...

Just so everyone knows.

you mean the 'go to your room' date?

yeah. With Ann you can also return to the ferris wheel and get another ferris wheel scene.

Mailbox

you mean the 'go to your room' date?

yeah. With Ann you can also return to the ferris wheel and get another ferris wheel scene.

wait really? i didn't know that ._.

Well i'm gonna start ng+ soon so i'mma try and get full Confidants this time + those extra scenes if possible

Edit: also, i didn't have a problem with the MC in the game being silent. Maybe he could have been a bit more expressive, but I thought he felt like much more of a character and one of the group than Personas 3 and 4 ever did.

Mediking

Yea the most awkward thing is when someone's just spilling your guts to you, and from our perspective we just remain silent the whole time. Like yea, you got dialogue choices, but it still feels weird...

Like I harp on this while I'm fine with say Link from BoTW because this game is sort of doing this whole "having your cake and eating it too" deal where he can clearly speak and say lines, which in turn makes me greatly desire a MC that speaks, but whenever you're controlling him he's silent. It's jarring.

Totally agreed. There's been numerous of scenes where I'm just like... Joker really needs to speak or have his own visual portrait or something more.

I think Atlus might actually do this in P6 because Joker is (ironically) speaking far more than Minato and Yu ever did. Lol

Astral

Totally agreed. There's been numerous of scenes where I'm just like... Joker really needs to speak or have his own visual portrait or something more.

I think Atlus might actually do this in P6 because Joker is (ironically) speaking far more than Minato and Yu ever did. Lol

Hell, he actually speaks in some cutscenes. That surprised me.

Top Bottom