• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Just want to say, I like Makoto when she is in this costume. She look lovely.

Makoto-Summer-Clothes.jpg

But I choose Kawakami ultimately, I just know it right at the beginning, that untidy hair...
Romance with her felt most natural, a little resistant, some forbidden love. Was aim for Futaba base on design but the relationship feel more like little sister , it get weird.

A girl one year younger than you felt less natural then the "forbidden love" between you and your emotionally broken homeroom teacher? lmao

Seriously though, I won't blame anyone for not wanting to romance Futaba but I'm not getting the "younger sister" thing (which is weird because I'm very sensitive to uncomfortable loli subplots). That's like..Nanako. Futaba is a girl around your age who's socially awkward. It's not like you've known her and Sojiro for years, or that she's really too much weirder than any other choice, let alone the multiple adult women who's romance options totally undermine either their personal stories, or the actual overarching narrative.

Gbraga

I just saw a few seconds of Futaba in my last play session and I already hate her.

Fucking HACKAR GENIUS KIDZ characters annoy me so much.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's always so funny to see people saying "I don't want to date Futaba, it's weird" but then again in the next second immediately went "Oooo~ Kawakami~ Tae~"

Lol XD

I mean, I'm not the one who started spreading rumors about other people's favorite girl being made up of someone else's "cut content". I'm not the one who has to make up excuses why a late introduction to the party who has little chance to fully bond with the team is in fact a solid addition. And I sure as hell don't have to defend the English voice of my pick.

Soooo.....

Lol, waifu warz is serious business.

I still stand that Haru > Makoto, though.

I went with Haru primarily because Makoto ended up being rather robotic and I'd already dated Mitsuru in P3.

I mean, I still live her starting persona, and she was mediarhan bot until the endgame for me, but she couldn't top Haru's social link and One-Shot-Kill.

wapplew

A girl one year younger than you felt less natural then the "forbidden love" between you and your emotionally broken homeroom teacher? lmao

Seriously though, I won't blame anyone for not wanting to romance Futaba but I'm not getting the "younger sister" thing (which is weird because I'm very sensitive to uncomfortable loli subplots). That's like..Nanako. Futaba is a girl around your age who's socially awkward. It's not like you've known her and Sojiro for years, or that she's really too much weirder than any other choice, let alone the multiple adult women who's romance options totally undermine either their personal stories, or the actual overarching narrative.

Maybe that's just reflection of my own age and there's not much romance dating Futaba, cute though.

Cess007

I really think this is nonsense created by fans. Makoto is the Student Council President. She's basically in charge of organizing and planning a ton of shit at school. She's a third year which means she has tons of experience in that too. She's not "nerd girl who reads books and is very smart", she's "older student with lots of leadership experience but sucks at reading actual social cues".

I'm tired of all this "boo hoo they cut Hifumi and merged her into Makoto" bullshit. Just like I'm tired of all the salty jealous people shitting on Makoto just because whatever lamer character you happen to like is less popular. DEAL WITH IT AND HOLD THAT L.

AMEN BROTHER!

tumblr_lzedqoO9F71rotpjwo1_500.gif

Maybe that's just reflection of my own age and there's not much romance dating Futaba, cute though.

That's why I can't begrudge anyone for not going for Futaba. I don't experience any sort of feeling that "I'm" doing anything when I play through s.links or anything though, so I just don't feel like "I'm an adult and it's strange" so much as "Being able to romance Kawakami and Tae is pretty much going against everything the narrative builds up" even though I think they are good characters.

Xeteh

I just saw a few seconds of Futaba in my last play session and I already hate her.

Fucking HACKAR GENIUS KIDZ characters annoy me so much.

Give her a chance. I seriously think she's the best written character in the last 3 Persona games.

mdubs

Banned
Y'all Makoto and Haru stans keep fighting it out while us Ann mans just sit here and watch the carnage while savouring our existing
almost shown but definitely happened kiss scene

Defuser

At least one thing good came outp of the waifu wars, majority have a same dislike against Ohya. The most useless S-link benefits.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I went the Harem route and the outcome was hilarious. However, Christmas Eve and Valentines Day was spent with the OG winner, Futaba.

Next game it'll between Kawakami and Haru. Maybe Hifumi.

Makoto is super boring and stale. She has a cool design though.

*sees last page

Okay, I'm starting to see why the thread was made

Maybe she gets those shivers because she has never been in a situation where she is the one with power over others or even her own life? I'm not saying that the yandere thing is impossible but it might not be the only explanation.

And the chocolate thing? I'm assuming that happens when you play as the pimp, right? Is that really an outlandish reaction to the situation?

duckroll

The biggest tsundere in the game is actually Iwai. He talks all tough but loves it when you get aggressive and rude with him. It's so cute.

The biggest tsundere in the game is actually Iwai. He talks all tough but loves it when you get aggressive and rude with him. It's so cute.

Iwai at the end of the game is the best.

When your teammates and confidants are out trying to get you out of juvy, Iwai calls on Yakuza favors to keep you safe. I guess Japanese juvenille hall is some real shit.

KraytarJ

My first playthrough I went with Makoto, but honestly at this point I'd say she's the third best option out there. Futaba and Hifumi are just better. I mean she's not a bad choice but considering she's just Mitsuru with some Yukiko thrown in (in other words a worse Mitsuru) I'd say chuuni shogi player and social anxiety hacker are just better picks tbh.

ryan13ts

A question about Mishama's confidant line

I'm on Rank 8 of him and I got the homeless guy quest just a bit ago in mid October. I've read that I need to max out Mishama before
11/5
for some reason because something happens (Don't know what yet since I'm on 10/27). The problem is that the fucking game refuses to let me have any day time to do activities (Literally almost 2 weeks of daytime has been taken up with scripted events, it's getting extremely annoying)

Basically, my questions are is it true I should max him out by that date and if so, is it still possible so close to that date? Also, is doing requests the only requirement to rank up Mishima (not just hanging out with him like others?)?

NoFunAllowed.jpg

How is that perfection?

Haru would laugh with you.
Haru is the girl you like because she literally agrees with you about everything no matter how she actually feels, and your female friends warn you that she probably wants to wear your skin as a coat but you're too self centered to see the red flags. Then she kills you.

Best husbando <333

Zolo

On that topic, I love how the courage gates in this game actually feel like they make sense instead of like the last games where you needed courage to eat bad cooking and go to a dark place at night despite regularly risking your life.

Here, it's:
-Drink this weird, experimental drink.
-Be confrontational(okay, kinda bad).
-Hey. Iwai rank 8:
Come visit this Yakuza dude with me where both of us might get shot.

LotusHD

Banned
Pfffft.

You can literally cut Tae away from the game and it's not going to be changed whatsoever.

Despite what her fans might think about her, Tae is not an important character whatsoever :p

I mean, I don't think people are fans of Tae because of her importance in the story, but because's she just... better than most of the other options. :p

Anyways, someone gotta give you those SP accessories and let you know that you're a guinea pig

Zephyx

Pfffft.

You can literally cut Tae away from the game and it's not going to be changed whatsoever.

Despite what her fans might think about her, Tae is not an important character whatsoever :p

Though, I disagree with the post you're quoting, you can pretty much say the same with Haru. I just wish she was introduced earlier in the story. She would benefit by having more story sequences that explores her personality more. Makoto is cheating at this point having a sister tied to the main plot. :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I like Tae a lot, but I agree.

However.
This is not the argument you want to try to defend Haru with.

Though, I disagree with the post you're quoting, you can pretty much say the same with Haru. I just wish she was introduced earlier in the story. She would benefit by having more story sequences that explores her personality more. Makoto is cheating at this point having a sister tied to the main plot. :(

Eh, not really. Yes she should be introduced earlier but her story-line is actually quite integral to the overall plot of the game. I mean, it's during her part of the story that the game's real plot really started to show, after all.

I would even argue that her part in the story is much more important than the likes of, say, Ann or Ryuji, who for the most part simply seem to just went along for the ride.

Renekton

There are a couple of late game scenes that are strongly convincing me Ann/Ryuji is canon lol. Each time
Ryuji's life is in danger, we seem to get a close up, emotional shot of Ann screaming his name.
Ryuji doesn't seem to feel the same way though unless I missed something.

Eh, not really. Yes she should be introduced earlier but her story-line is actually quite integral to the overall plot of the game. I mean, it's during her part of the story that the game's real plot really started to show, after all.

I would even argue that her part in the story is much more important than the likes of, say, Ann or Ryuji, who for the most part simply seem to just went along for the ride.

Haru's arc is mostly about Morgana though. Just because she entered at an import time doesn't really mean she ends up being all that important. If she wasn't there, not much would change. The only real service she does for the plot for in the end is
humanize her father.
She barely even has lines that aren't some variation of "your right! We can't give up!" past palace 6.

Ann and Ryuji work because a silent protagonist doesn't do much for atmosphere. They are the emotional heart of the game. They are the protagonist's guide to Shibuya, they greatly enhance the dynamic between you and the people you meet in everyday life. You go eat ramen with them, you hang out with them during field trips, you study with them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ryuji doesn't seem to feel the same way though unless I missed something.

He's the typical dumbass anime protagonist who in a typical anime show would end up with the girl he's arguing most of the time with :p

Haru's arc is mostly about Morgana though. Just because she entered at an import time doesn't really mean she ends up being all that important. If she wasn't there, not much would change. The only real service she does for the plot for in the end is
humanize her father.
She barely even has lines that aren't some variation of "your right! We can't give up!" past palace 6.

Ann and Ryuji work because a silent protagonist doesn't do much for atmosphere. They are the emotional heart of the game. They are the protagonist's guide to Shibuya, they greatly enhance the dynamic between you and the people you meet in everyday life. You go eat ramen with them, you hang out with them during field trips, you study with them.

Eh, let's just agree to disagree. I feel like the only characters really connected to the overall plot at large in the main party are the MC, Morgana, Makoto, Haru, and Futaba, while Ann + Ryuji, though important at first, are unfortunately relegated to just reaction shots down the road. Ann is especially disappointing for me; she had potential during the Kamoshida arc but then as the game progresses it seems like ATLUS is determined to fit the dumb blonde trope to her like a glove, as if Ryuji is not enough to do the job for the group.

Zephyx

I think Ann and Ryuji are much more special since the Phantom thieves would not exist without them. Haru just happened to be there (5th palace spoilers)
as an additional trigger to push them towards targeting Okumura. I believe they could still have pursued the target without her.

It can really go with whatever explanation suits you but it's hard to make the most of her when the story starts gearing up after her arc. The confidant scenes make up for it but I wish she was given a little more time in the spotlight.

Still the best girl though. So fluffy~

duckroll

humanize her father.

No I think that's vastly underselling the importance of Haru at that stage of the story.
Haru does not exist to humanize Okumura, she exists to humanize the Phantom Thieves. The fact that you are about to walk into a big setup that preys on the ego of the team, and end with you being framed for murder, requires this human element for it not to be taken the wrong way. Remember that the player might not agree entirely with what the party decides, but mostly goes along with it because a friend is in trouble. That's the thread that ties all the Palaces together. Without Haru, if the player already feels that the team is getting too swept up by their popularity, the setup will feel more like vindication rather than a twist of the knife. By having Haru there, the player will go along with the plan because there is an innocent human there worth saving. And the twist at the end is that everyone thought they were helping her but it all goes south. It's extremely important that the player personally feels rage at being setup like this, and not instead think "wow my friends are all fucking stupid, I TOLD YOU SO wtf."

Just my two cents as a Makoto stan. Sometimes the other girl deserves support too when people are talking shit without cause.

RalchAC

No I think that's vastly underselling the importance of Haru at that stage of the story.
Haru does not exist to humanize Okumura, she exists to humanize the Phantom Thieves. The fact that you are about to walk into a big setup that preys on the ego of the team, and end with you being framed for murder, requires this human element for it not to be taken the wrong way. Remember that the player might not agree entirely with what the party decides, but mostly goes along with it because a friend is in trouble. That's the thread that ties all the Palaces together. Without Haru, if the player already feels that the team is getting too swept up by their popularity, the setup will feel more like vindication rather than a twist of the knife. By having Haru there, the player will go along with the plan because there is an innocent human there worth saving. And the twist at the end is that everyone thought they were helping her but it all goes south. It's extremely important that the player personally feels rage at being setup like this, and not instead think "wow my friends are all fucking stupid, I TOLD YOU SO wtf."

Just my two cents as a Makoto stan. Sometimes the other girl deserves support too when people are talking shit without cause.

Perfect explanation. The team is all in for different reasons at that time, and
while there is a shadow of doubt, the whole Haru subplot pushes them to do it. That slim thread of sympathy makes it easier to digest, eventhough fame was a big driving force in the 5th Palace

Haru is better then Makoto, all the girls are really

But I did laugh when for palace 6 Haru says something "we'll do this like we always do" umm Haru you're new here too why are you acting like a long time member who's done this severa times.

Aki-at

I really think this is nonsense created by fans. Makoto is the Student Council President. She's basically in charge of organizing and planning a ton of shit at school. She's a third year which means she has tons of experience in that too. She's not "nerd girl who reads books and is very smart", she's "older student with lots of leadership experience but sucks at reading actual social cues".

I'm tired of all this "boo hoo they cut Hifumi and merged her into Makoto" bullshit. Just like I'm tired of all the salty jealous people shitting on Makoto just because whatever lamer character you happen to like is less popular. DEAL WITH IT AND HOLD THAT L.

Best post in thread. I can feel the repressed anger.

NoFunAllowed.jpg

How is that perfection?

Haru would laugh with you.

You don't enjoy trying to tease and annoy someone? You're missing out.

Pfffft.

Nah fam without her medicines and SP regeneration 3 I'd have been dead by the end game. An essential accomplice to my party's health, reforming society and saving the world.

Renekton

He's the typical dumbass anime protagonist who in a typical anime show would end up with the girl he's arguing most of the time with :p
The anime stereotype dude normally finds the girl infuriating throughout but is begrudgingly caring (or vice versa), Ryuji seemed indifferent for the most part... I think hm

Murkas

I decided to anal Ann purely because she's a model and thought why not, especially since she let the P.E teacher finger bang her in his Astra.

She noshed me off in the ferris wheel and everything.

Top Bottom