• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyK54

The word is dropped casually in rap music. Its not fair if one person can say it and the other not.

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

You really went there.

Anyways, I don't have much to add to what's already been rightfully said except fuck PewDiePie for real. Inexcusable.

GHG

The word is dropped casually in rap music. Its not fair if one person can say it and the other not.

"It's not fair"?

You know what, I'm not even going to go in on you. All I will say is that I truely feel sorry for you. Ignorance is not a virtue.

Newline

Well, that is a rational reaction. Take away his livelihood, because he said a word.
His livelihood comes from being a public figure to a bunch of impressionable kids / young adults. If he can't act responsibly he shouldn't have the job. I'm surprised i'm even having to type this.

ToonLink

At this point, I have to wonder if Americans deserve the reputation for being ignorant because if you talk to any Black person living in outside the US they'd tell you that they get called the n word or regional variants of that word because anti-blackness is a global affair.

Does the education system touch on how the US was built? That slave labor was the economic force? How they treated slaves and their decedents? I find it hard to believe that topic was never even touched on.

I feel like people are lying just to create a strawman.

Yep. I'm from the UK and it has been used against me on numerous occasions, especially as a child (I live in a more multi-cultural area now). It's definitely not something exclusive to North America, and honestly, we live in the age of the internet. There's no excuse for being that ignorant.

LinLeigh

Not going to defend him but youd be surprised how often this happens in Europe especially in countries with no black people. There is literally no understanding of the context, its just a word you hear in music and movies.

In movies and music where the context is very clear. I don't know anyone around here who would use it the way he did.

Yes we might sing along without feeling guilty but that is as far as it goes.

13ruce

Banned
Well, that is a rational reaction. Take away his livelihood, because he said a word.

Would not even matter in the grand sheme of things, he is set for live anyway dude has millions on the bank.

And besides this is kinda something what should and can get you fired.

lol go say the n word at your job within earshot and see how long you are employed...although theshe days that might actually be longer than I think

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
on a related note: The pronunciation of the word doesn't really matter. Never did. Still doesn't. The word is the word. It doesn't somehow change properties depending on how its last syllable is pronounced. It's not some sort of racial language alchemy being performed.

The "a" vs. "er" split is artificial, a post-facto explanation built on the notion that "black people talk like this, and white people talk like this" is a matter of biological fact.

i don't know where you come from so i may not get it, but where i'm from, the difference between "nigga" and "nigger' is common knowledge among black people, they are not even the same word at this point and clearly divided between non hateful and hateful specifically.

What your arguing, generally what i've seen used as a notion by whites to dismiss any criticisms of white people saying it. 'BLACK PEoPLE SAY IT SO why CANT I SAY IT!?"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
because the biggest interaction we had with africa was during world war 2 and they kicked our asses and made us go back to Italy really fast.
nowadays it's mainly immigrants, but they are still a way smaller minority than in the US,
basically,it's still considered a racist at worst and not politically correct term at best here too...but it wil never generate the "sounds all alarms, burn him/her at the stake" reaction that it receives in the US..so it is possible for an european,depending of course of where in europe he/she is,since europe it's a pretty big and diverse place, to use the world (or the regional equivalent) lightly, especially when you consider the fact that he/she is talking in another language, and that adds even more distance between the term and what it actually historically meant of people of color

This isnt true at all....PDP isnt just some random no name kid on the internet - he is one if not the biggest YT guy and has a big following. There is no way any public figure be it a mayor politican, celebrity or athlete in ger, uk, ita, spain etc. could just casually use that word without it having negative impact on that person. There is a reason why people dont use it...it has nothing to do with "burn him at the stake" ...the bigger and more known you are the bigger the response will be.

I cant even think of any public figure that would or had used it a while....its a PR nightmare, This europe excuse doesnt fly at all...especially in the internet/social media age we live in. You would have to be a total shutin to not know how using this word in the public could be an issue.

jaypah

This thread is a boiling pot of WTF and the ignorant fat keeps bubbling to the top. Fascinating.

Also fuck anybody defending this dumbass.

sibarraz

Banned
Last week I saw a pewdipie video for the first time in my life. I got the impression that he is a tool that speaks like those edgy 13 years old kids who play online, so this doesn't surprise me really.

i wonder if he will blame media for this too

Village

If someone goes around slinging hate speach to millions of impressible young people like that shit is ok . Then yes, remove them from their platform

Because if you don't, you get the current president of the united states

If your employer catches you calling someone a fucking n*****, you can kiss your job goodbye.

Also this.

Nekofrog

Banned
here's what i don't get about the "but he's european so he has no context to the word" defense

to believe such a defense, you have to believe ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. pewdiepie doesnt know what a black person is
2. pewdiepie has heard of the word, but not in a negative reference to a black person in any sense ever (?????????)

come on people. there is no person who is as adept and in touch with social media, the internet, and video games in 2017 who doesn't know that screaming the N word to deride someone isn't also incredibly racist, hateful, hurtful, and wrong.

give me a fucking break

No matter if he actually realizes the damage he is doing by normalizing this shit, it's just fucking stupid and inconsiderate. When did he turn? I am genuinely curious.
Not that I ever watched him regularly, I just don't remember him catering to nazis and racists... I'm obviously not up to speed, but it's surreal. All I ever noticed was his growing hubris, but man... What a way to go. Seems he's found a new base though.

And to the people who might defend this, I'll play along. Let's say he doesn't mean anything by it, he's just tired of catering to the leftist media, who constantly accuse him of being something he doesn't consider himself to be...

You don't prove to people who accuse you of murder that you aren't a murderer by fucking killing MORE people.
He might be doing it to spite the media, but it doesn't excuse it. It's indefensible.

Just thought i'd mention an interesting side thing that has appeared during this controversy. As well as calling it out, a few youtubers are blaming pewdiepie for the whole 'adpocalypse' that has been happening on youtube lately. Seems like other youtubers are starting to push back against their most famous video creator.

ZlugSbk.png

I would actually contest that the pejorative aspect of the word is that well-known in European countries. The slavery association definitely was not common knowledge where I went to school in the north of the Netherlands. But even then, it still doesn't make the use of the word the way Pewdiepie does it anywhere near justifiable: his use is pejorative no matter the understanding of the full context: it was just racist.

Edit: To clarify a bit more, what I want to say is that in my experience, people from where I'm from are not at all always aware of the slavery association, and furthermore the extent to which the word is a denigrating slur is also not fully understood, at least in my generation (I'm 21 fyi), although it is often understood that the term itself refers to black people. People I've been to school with often didn't seem aware of the gravity of the term, and used it among each other (among white people to be specific) as a joking insult as well. Still a terrible case of (hardly ever excusable) ignorance and often worse, at least in the way Pewdiepie used it.

Come on now, everyone knows that N***** is not a word you should be using. I grew up in a small down with only one non white person and we didn't have the internet and I still knew not to call people racial slurs.

Perineum

This thread taught me that Ryan Davis once said faggot and apologized a bunch for it.

Different people saying stupid shit and folks let it slide. Remember when Maximillian said "Chigger chagger nigger dagger" on one of his streams? He came out and apologized and cried on a video about it if I recall correctly.

The difference between Ryan Davis, Maximillian, and Pewds? Nothing. All of them are fine with letting these words rip in private or in their head, but the community behind them is what separates them.

Same word, different people, but the people like Ryan, like Max, but don't like Pewds. I personally don't like pewds and could give a shit less on what happens to him or his fanbase if he fell off the face of the planet.

Tain

lol can you imagine looking at pewdiepie's life, like this dude's infinite abundance of opportunity and wealth, and being like "yeah it's unfair he can't say the n word"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom