• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrocoDuck

Found a longer video (downloaded it just in case) having both instances of Pewdiepie saying the N word:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ro_wpRKpTU
0:35 and 4:42

He doesn't apologise or have any remorse. He just doesn't care. Whoever that other dude is in the stream is just enabling him even more. These white privileged racist trolls who don't have to care about anything.

Can't believe this guy has such a large children audience. And that comment section is fucking gross.

Boke1879

Suggesting that the n-word has a different connotation in europe is such an absurd attempt to downplay this.

It´s a very specific insult with a very specific historical context. This isn´t a "fag means cigarette in the UK!" situation. It´s very clear cut. If you know the word, you also know what it means - there´s nothing ambiguous about it.

And PDP isn't fucking stupid. He knows what the word means. He knows the internet. For anyone to claim he was ignorant is just foolish.

Alo0oy

Banned
Honestly, I find this reputation of "SWJ echo chamber" GAF keeps getting accused of odd. It's very easy to just discuss games on GAF if you so wish. Easiest way is to just stick to OTs, which are usually 90% people enjoying the game they've bought.

I don't even know where that reputation came from, GAF always has a defense force for the most sexist racist things. In some situations even Reddit threads have less embarassing posts.

Why is it so hard to just not say racist stuff? Even more why is it so hard to just not be racist at all? What do you have to lose? I can guarantee you that if you just didn't post racist stuff then you would be a lot happier as a person.

So why is it so hard for some people to either admit that they're wrong or admit that they're hurting others in a way that could influence other more impressionable minds to do the same thing especially when you're a big-time YouTuber?

True Fire

I do think people like him use the "ironic" label so much that they actually believe it.

There's this weird distortion field where they think they are not racist because it's all a "joke".

It's a weird phenomenon that I've seen in person (with ISIS "jokes") and it's terrible.

That's how the alt right radicalizes people. It's all trolling. It's all a joke. Mean SJW dictators won't let you have fun.

Theblow post literally disappeared with all the replies?

7975836bc9639b32c834a0c33dace24caca4c3e8_hq.gif

besada

Banned
Here's the thing about account suicides: they want attention. So when it happens, the best thing you can do for the thread, the forum, and us, is to not quote the damn thing three hundred times. We're watching. We don't have threads like this without someone watching. The gray names should tell you that.

Since we have no interest in feeding their ego or giving them a microphone to spout their racist bullshit, we routinely remove account suicide posts.

No one really cares that you decided not to visit GAF anymore. Go somewhere else. This is literally always our advice for someone who doesn't like it here. There are plenty of other forums out there that may fit your needs better. Feel free to join them and not come here. If you can't do it on your own, feel free to PM me for a permanent ban to help you master your need to return.

Mediking

Why is it so hard to just not say racist stuff? Even more why is it so hard to just not be racist at all? What do you have to lose? I can guarantee you that if you just didn't post racist stuff then you would be a lot happier as a person.

So why is it so hard for some people to either admit that they're wrong or admit that they're hurting others in a way that could influence other more impressionable minds to do the same thing especially when you're a big-time YouTuber?

Money, the illusion of "power" and fame, and ignorance is why those people exist. Its really sad and pathetic.

And anybody defending Pewdiepie is also really sad.

Please don't defend him or anybody like him.

I also saw a post attacking GAF. Like really? GAF is a positive and very entertaining yet informative website. GAF doesn't support ignorance and hatred.

Here's the thing about account suicides: they want attention. So when it happens, the best thing you can do for the thread, the forum, and us, is to not quote the damn thing three hundred times. We're watching. We don't have threads like this without someone watching. The gray names should tell you that.

Since we have no interest in feeding their ego or giving them a microphone to spout their racist bullshit, we routinely remove account suicide posts.

No one really cares that you decided not to visit GAF anymore. Go somewhere else. This is literally always our advice for someone who doesn't like it here. There are plenty of other forums out there that may fit your needs better. Feel free to join them and not come here. If you can't do it on your own, feel free to PM me for a permanent ban to help you master your need to return.

Thanks mods.
Sorry for quoting it.
But you can understand why we do, we read it and we react. Sometimes without thinking. I guess that is why I am not a mod.

You are right though, don't give em the attention, don't let that racist shit go to 4chan and say "hey dudes, check out my sweet post".

It's not even that hard to 'edit' your language. Yea sure, everyone can have their time of ignorance not knowing the impact of some words. The defence squad saying "oh but he's from Europe, it doesn't carry the same weight there" have a point to a certain extent, but for someone that has a job on the internet and has already displayed some very questionable behaviour, this is inexcusable. If he was sincere and not racist trash it shouldn't be a part of his vocabulary, not even in the 'heat of the moment.' He used it as an insult, that says enough.

Threads like these are such a trip. Seeing people get so passionate about defending racist (and other equally terrible) stuff is baffling. We still have a long way to go.

Aselith

somehow with everything he still has such a damn following!

Trump got elected, you know? A lot of folks just don't care unless they think it'll effect them. And sometimes even when it will, the racism just comes over you too hard and you can't help but fuck some brown folks.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

It's not even about being racist (because I don't think he definitely hates people of colour), it's the insensitivity and irresponsibility in thinking that it is "OK" to say because he believes deep down he isn't a racist and that the word is "harmless".

You can tell by the slip that he uses the word frequently.

BiggNife

you'll get a lot of small time alt-right youtubers jumping to his aid, but the bigger channels won't

They will either take a shitty middle ground stance, or just not say anything at all

Can't wait for boogie to say "I don't agree with using the N word but we should hear PDP out first"

Also the people that claim GAF is an SJW echo chamber post in anti-SJW echo chambers like Voat

Fat4all

Banned
It's not even that hard to 'edit' your language. Yea sure, everyone can have their time of ignorance not knowing the impact of some words. The defence squad saying "oh but he's from Europe, it doesn't carry the same weight there" have a point to a certain extent, but for someone that has a job on the internet and has already displayed some very questionable behaviour, this is inexcusable. If he was sincere and not racist trash it shouldn't be a part of his vocabulary, not even in the 'heat of the moment.' He used it as an insult, that says enough.

Threads like these are such a trip. Seeing people get so passionate about defending racist (and other equally terrible) stuff is baffling. We still have a long way to go.

I really don't understand how people can't just exercise a touch of self censorship.

It's not hard at all to control what you say, it blows my mind sometime how people will just choose to say shit like this.

TheOGB

Banned
PewDiePie really got people losing they shit huh

I don't care how mad or frustrated you get over a game, don't call nobody a "fucking nigger." That ain't hard. Fuck Felix

Blam

I like how you posted this and then left the thread because you don't have the guts to actually say what you mean.

I didn't leave the thread. I was just monitoring what people were saying that's all.

I don't see a reason to join this conversation anymore then what I've said.

Dmax3901

If you go on 4chan every second post is someone calling someone else the n-word. He clearly spends so much time in those communities that the use of the word as an insult has become automatic. He's a toxic person from a toxic community and he has millions of young fans we're doomed.

jabuseika

The defense force for this is so disgusting, especially in that reddit thread that got locked.

Yuck.

Hey racists.

"Everybody says it." "It's not a big deal." "Who cares." Those things only apply if you live surrounded by racists. People normally don't live around racists, so it is shocking for us to hear a popular Youtuber say the word so nonchalant.

All in all...stop defending his bullshit. He graduated from rape jokes to nazi/holicaust jokes to flirting with alt right rhetoric to dropping a racial slur while live. There's nothing to defend here. He is the most subscribed person on one of the biggest content platforms on the internet. He is super visible in what he does and he rightfully deserves to be criticized for it. Kids watch his shit and repeat these things to their friends. This incident is bigger than him as it affects the game streaming on YouTube as a whole. He is single handily making things harder for other users to monetize and make a living. It is already a problem for many streamers and this doesn't help.

Boke1879

PDP has a lot of younger people who follow him. That's been built up over the years. That most likely isn't just going to go away over night. At all. Then of course you have a lot of those people that don't see the issues with it because he's a celebrity to them and "he couldn't possibly have meant it in a bad way."

FyreWulff

why is this thread 51 pages? genuinely curious, are there that many who will go to bat for pdp or is it everyone replying to said batter?

i too wonder why people would use communicative software in such fashion to require more than septuple pagination of the conversations therein to maintain readability and low usage of electronically metered information consumption.

Pewdillpickle's stature and amount of viewers is roughly in ratio with expected response.

Frodo

It's not even about being racist (because I don't think he definitely hates people of colour), it's the insensitivity and irresponsibility in thinking that it is "OK" to say because he believes deep down he isn't a racist and that the word is "harmless".

You can tell by the slip that he uses the word frequently.

He doesn't necessarily need to hate black people, but the insensitivity of using the word just says that he also doesn't have the empathy and doesn't care to listen why the word in question is frowned upon. Doesn't make it excusable, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom