• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil confirms Call of Duty parity for all platforms

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I really hope Switch 2 can bring back Wii control schemes with the pointer aiming/turning and all. Sadly they probably won't prioritize motion control advancements like that without "sensor bar" stuff. Technically PSVR2 could bring back those schemes for flat non VR games. Just play on your TV but put your PSVR2 HMD somewhere it can view your VR controllers (I guess under the TV like the eye toy camera?), then touch the center of your TV and input the size of your TV for it to calibrate. It'd improve on Wii motion controls by being tracked in full 3D space like that making gestures and other motions beyond the IR pointer shooting also work 100% of the time so you could have games like Red Steel 2 and Metroid Prime 3 and all the actions they had on top of the shooting work great too. Of course that's not gonna happen either (or a real full Red Steel 3 VR, come on Ubishit).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No more additional load out slots to one platform.
No more exclusive XP boosts to one platform.
No more exclusive operators on one platform.

RIP in pieces.

mw2-ps-content.png

He's full of shit. But as long as he keeps opting out cross platform I'm okay.

What makes you think he'd do that? Microsoft has been leading the charge (and ruining multiplayer games for console players) by forcing Cross Play on us in all the biggest multiplayer games.

It's one of the most bullshit trends they've been pushing for. Xbox gamers have been able to play multiplatform games like Halo, Battlefield, and COD for 20 something years on an even playing field until recently. And don't believe for a second that we have "the option to turn it off". By making Cross Play the default setting it's mandatory unless you want to have low populations and long ques.

Absolute fuckery despite what PC players and the media shills will admit.

Neofire

Who in their right mind thought MS was buying the largest developer in the world just to put it exclusively on the Xbox 👀.

Oh trust Microsoft will reveal their true intentions soon lol.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Who's to blame when this inevitably ends up being a false statement?

Phil wants to be the friend of gamers and at the same time the president of gaming. That's not how it works. This is why he gets so much shit.
You’re an idiot if you believe this. Be it 10 years from now or 1. It will eventually be exclusive.

Xbox Series Z will launch with an exclusive COD

This man lies through his teeth

Stop being lied to. Stop being naive... Stop being stupid

It’s so easy to go back on all this because Phil won’t have this job much longer. Next person just has to say “plans change”.

I can't believe there won't be some kind of incentive to get people onto game pass. Something like beta early access for game pass, or maybe have a beta for all platforms but game pass allows you to play the beta for longer.

Why limit exposure of the game to one only platform?
Surely getting more people on other platforms to play will do wonders for your game in terms of engagement, revenue etc, no?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Minecraft has stayed multi plat. Why wouldn’t COD?
Because they didnt spend 70 Billion dollars on Minecraft
Minecraft is aimed mainly at children, it doesn't move expensive consoles like COD does.
Exclusive COD at launch would give MS a massive, MASSIVE killer app launch title on their next console.
Come on man. You actually think they will keep COD on PlayStation forever? Even after Phil retires? lol

The man literally said: We are in a unique posistion to spend Sony out of business. Everything he said in that interview was a bold faced lie. The ONLY reason they bought Activision is to win the next generation and have zero competition. This is a trillion dollar company.

Last edited:
Even on Nintendo? I'll believe it when I see it...

Oh yeah, they gotta bring COD to Switch (prob. Switch 2, not old Switch) too. I'm guessing Good Guy Phil™ means feature parity, not performance parity.

Although if the Switch 2 spec rumors are true, it shouldn't have any issues matching a Series S when docked, and the game doesn't have any local MP or splitscreen support so no strain there to Switch 2 or Series S. Feature parity should be assumed.

Someone else ITT said it though: what about Game Pass? I'm still 100% expecting some MTX, XP bonuses and item perks will be tied to Game Pass subscriptions. They tested this already with the Riot games perks for PC Game Pass, so they have a gauge as to the effectiveness of subscription bonuses.

And honestly, MS would be stupid not to do it next year. After all, Game Pass isn't technically a "platform" or at least they can easily avoid defining it that way. AFAIK they have generally always referred to Game Pass as a subscription service. So, there's wiggle room (plus it's not like the CMA and EC have issue with partial or full console content foreclosure of COD elements as mentioned in their revised PFs).

Starting next year, all Call of Duty games are going to look and run like shit, so they can have "feature parity" with the Switch.

Feature parity and performance parity don't have to be the same thing. The only times they would be are in areas like splitscreen or local MP, like with Baldur's Gate 3 (and why splitscreen isn't coming to the Series S version). Entire modes (and features therein) are tied to certain performance standards which, if they can't be reached, result in the mode (and its features) being cut.

At least, that's how I've come to look at it lately. That will probably be how Microsoft works around having lower graphical features on Switch 2 but otherwise providing all the same features, since COD doesn't have modes like local splitscreen and MP.

Last edited:

LordCBH

“We have no goal of somehow using Call of Duty to get you to buy an Xbox console.”

Sounds like you wasted your money Phil. What’s the point then?

Don’t worry. He’s just saying this so he can justify begging regulators to let them purchase EA next year.

“See? We can’t make COD exclusive. We NEED to buy EA since we can’t make COD exclusive!”

Rockman33

Minecraft is aimed mainly at children, it doesn't move expensive consoles like COD does.
Exclusive COD at launch would give MS a massive, MASSIVE killer app launch title on their next console.
Come on man. You actually think they will keep COD on PlayStation forever? Even after Phil retires? lol

The man literally said: We are in a unique posistion to spend Sony out of business. Everything he said in that interview was a bold faced lie. The ONLY reason they bought Activision is to win the next generation and have zero competition. This is a trillion dollar company.
Yikes! Someone needs to take a big long deep breath and put down their pitchfork for a second.

Mojang was bought for 2.5 billion in 2014. That was THE buggest acquisition ever up until that time in video games. AND they only had 1 IP. They have kept that and all the spinoffs multiplat.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You don't even know who said the bolded part.

Relax, lol.

Represent.

You don't even know who said the bolded part.

Relax, lol.
My bad, it was matt BOOTY. Same shit. This is the mindset they have. This is why they bought Activision.
Yikes! Someone needs to take a big long deep breath and put down their pitchfork for a second.

Mojang was bought for 2.5 billion in 2014. That was THE buggest acquisition ever up until that time in video games. AND they only had 1 IP. They have kept that and all the spinoffs multiplat.
I cant believe there are actually people on a gaming enthusiast forum who generally know how the industry works who think Phil Spencer is being genuine here lol. Come on man.

How have you not learned to see through PR fluff talk?

Minecraft and COD are not the same. 2 billion and 70 BILLION are not the same.

Bethesda games will be exclusive. COD will eventually be on everything, except PlayStation.

Drizzlehell

Banned
He's just trying to get your guard down guys, so that he could strike your butthole with that finger when you least expect it.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Sony signed the 10-year deal with them so of course there's gonna be parity until then, anyone who's seen the emails know what their long-term plan is. People still acting like he's doing this out of generosity or something lol.

Last edited:

Represent.

Who honestly thought they would make it exclusive? You don't spend over $68 billion and choke your revenue stream by keeping one of the biggest games on the planet on one platform. That's just stupid.
You're thinking too short term. This is a long term plan.

The plan is to make XBox the biggest platform. You start that motion by making COD exclusive going into the next generation where everything starts from scratch. Its simple logic

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

The plan is to make XBox the biggest platform. You start that motion by making COD exclusive going into the next generation where everything starts from scratch. Its simple logic

Yeah well you gotta think longer term than that because the deal goes to 2033, so that whole simple logic thingy don’t work so simple

Represent.

Yeah well you gotta think longer term than that because the deal goes to 2033, so that whole simple logic thingy don’t work so simple
"We said it will stay on Playstation" "Not PlayStation 6" many ways to slime their way out of that shit. Its cute you guys think MS is some loyal, trustworthy trillion collar mega corporation

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I don’t believe it. It may be a timed thing but you don’t buy CoD to not get it to move software/hardware sells to benefit yourself .

Soon enough we will see.

If Playstation even exists 10-20years from now. Microsoft is essentially a hybrid first and third-party publisher at this point. Their end game was simple several years ago. To reach over 2 billion gamers. You don't do that by having one the biggest games out there on one platform. Microsoft figured out that to reach out to 2 billion gamers, studio acquisitions are the way to go. Couple that with Game Pass and Microsoft will damn near be unstoppable. Very soon Sony will have a lot of catching up to do because the industry is rapidly evolving. Console sales won't save them at that point. They will have to adapt and evolve with the industry. Hypothetically if the Playstation brand tanks in the future with MS ruling the roost, then I could see CoD being exclusive to the Xbox brand. And people are very naive if they think for a second that Playstation will be around forever. Especially as just a console.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sounds like the green army and the blue army are finally on the same page considering every time Phil talks one or the other claims he's lying.

Phil the great custodian of IPs saying teams will work on what they want to work on, and somehow the teams will want to keep working on Call of Duty.

Unknown?

Yup.
Only thing I can think of is that while sure, cod will be on ps5, but it'll be apart of gamepass for a couple of bucks a month day one. Try to entice players that way?

If I was in charge of Xbox you'd never see another cod game on ps again!
And it would instantly lose 3/8ths of its market share.

splattered

He said in the interview that it will be feature parity but if course there may be small differences in say resolution because of different "perf" ... Depending on the system. Relax people, there are no hidden gotchas here.

I didn't initially believe him when he first said these things but he seems to be standing by it

Here we go again...

If we check my #PhilSpencerPersona Chart, this must be Kumbaya Phil

Kumbaya Phil
- Let's all play together | Xbox is a service | anti-console war. Peace and love (powered by XBOX) | Let's hold hands and be like Nintendo | Our games are your game"

Bad guy Phil
- We want to disrupt the market before Amazon or Apple | Xbox is a console | "Sony isn't are focus" | Nintendo needs us(turns out Phil wanted to buy them)

Victim Phil - The Industry is against us | Sony is being mean | Xbox is the outcast | It's Japan's fault | Nintendo never shares with us.

Y'all keep believing this dude. Phil SPINcer

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
And it would instantly lose 3/8ths of its market share.
Yep. People won't switch to Xbox mid-gen just for Call of Duty if they already have a PlayStation. Pulling it off at this point would have just cost them revenue. Considering there's not much money to be made from console sales the best course of action is to leave it on the boxes people have. Bragging rights for number of consoles sold is cool on the playground but Phil has to make some money, too.

Yeah, because that was the stipulation Notch made to Microsoft in order for them to buy Mojang. In the email leaks, Phil Spencer laments that they couldn't make Minecraft console-exclusive and that they'd find any way possible to not repeat that mistake with future big IPs they acquired.

He is certainly living up to that with TES, Fallout, likely next DOOM and Quake (unless they're GaaS), and in due time, he'll find a way to do that with COD too. Only a matter of when, not if.

Top Bottom