• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil confirms Call of Duty parity for all platforms

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Perhaps the guarantee of taking advantage of the pa5 pro features/power is what convinced Sony to finally sign the agreement.
Probably the regular ps5 version with higher resolution more stable frame rate. With adding the switch 2 to the development plate don't see much time for a first year pro console.
The current PS5 already can run COD at 120 fps so yeah a higher res would likely be all anyhow

ManaByte

Gold Member
Because they didnt spend 70 Billion dollars on Minecraft
Minecraft is aimed mainly at children, it doesn't move expensive consoles like COD does.
Exclusive COD at launch would give MS a massive, MASSIVE killer app launch title on their next console.
Come on man. You actually think they will keep COD on PlayStation forever? Even after Phil retires? lol

The man literally said: We are in a unique posistion to spend Sony out of business. Everything he said in that interview was a bold faced lie. The ONLY reason they bought Activision is to win the next generation and have zero competition. This is a trillion dollar company.
Serious question: do you even play modern COD?

Because making it exclusive to one platform makes as much sense as making Fortnite exclusive to a single platform.

Rockman33

Yeah, because that was the stipulation Notch made to Microsoft in order for them to buy Mojang. In the email leaks, Phil Spencer laments that they couldn't make Minecraft console-exclusive and that they'd find any way possible to not repeat that mistake with future big IPs they acquired.

He is certainly living up to that with TES, Fallout, likely next DOOM and Quake (unless they're GaaS), and in due time, he'll find a way to do that with COD too. Only a matter of when, not if.
I guess 11 years from now we will see. Since he did the same stipulation for 10 years.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Serious question: do you even play modern COD?

Because making it exclusive to one platform makes as much sense as making Fortnite exclusive to a single platform.
fortnite is free. people buy cod. and yes i play it quite often.
you really think they bought activision for 70 billion dollars to be nice to playstation?
they'll keep their word for the time being then as soon as that times up it will be exclusive.
thats how you gain gamepass subscribers. which was literally the whole point of them buying activision. to put COD on gamepass and have a massive amount of monthly subs.
making it exclusive would hypothetically put all that playstaion money on xbox.
they want to be number 1. they want to spend sony out of business.

why do people think otherwise? lol.

is this why you people are celebrating the deal?

because you think MS will sing Kumbayah and be nice?

This is terrible for the industry

Last edited:

Kerotan

Well no shit it was literally part of the deal for 10 years. What do you expect him to say.., “ ohh we can’t right now .. but just you wait!!!”

But the bigger point is Sony won’t get any exclusive cod deal either like they always do.
Basically Sony have 10 years to make a game rivalling cod or hope a 3rd party does.

Iced Arcade

COD profits from competitors will be enough to fund gamepass alone.

Not to mention he knows what his sly ass is doing lol. Knowing damn well they will use the "new CoD play on gamepass day one for only $14.99" and casuals will eat that up

Perhaps the guarantee of taking advantage of the ps5 pro features/power is what convinced Sony to finally sign the agreement.

Dunno; PS5 Pro is probably at best going to represent 20%/30% of total PS5s sold. Microsoft could try not prioritizing features for it in COD and it'd still run it way better than Series X simply through brute force.

Sony signed the agreement because they probably just didn't want to oppose the inevitable anymore. That, and they have M&A plans of their own to focus on more directly.

I guess 11 years from now we will see. Since he did the same stipulation for 10 years.

We'll have to see where COD is in 10 years to know if making it exclusive even does anything for moving the needle. Microsoft's IP retention & management skills (which have generally been lacking) are about to undergo the ultimate test.

COD profits from competitors will be enough to fund gamepass alone.

Not to mention he knows what his sly ass is doing lol. Knowing damn well they will use the "new CoD play on gamepass day one for only $14.99" and casuals will eat that up

That's the kind of messed up part. But, at least in this case it's with a property Microsoft now own. Relying on purchasing power of people outside of Xbox ecosystem is what's partly helped Microsoft land Game Pass deals with publishers like Sega/Atlus.

So I'm curious if (or when) enthusiasts fans of their games on PlayStation & Nintendo just decide to stop buying or stop buying Day 1, and get those games through alternative methods like Game Pass. Because that (rightfully) increases the price for Microsoft on those deals by a massive amount.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Basically Sony have 10 years to make a game rivalling cod or hope a 3rd party does.
COD wont last 10 more years. But there is a ton of Activision and Blizzard IPs that could be huge again. I just hope MS tries some of them and not just throw them away like they did with RARE ip.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Minecraft is aimed mainly at children, it doesn't move expensive consoles like COD does.
Exclusive COD at launch would give MS a massive, MASSIVE killer app launch title on their next console.
Come on man. You actually think they will keep COD on PlayStation forever? Even after Phil retires? lol

The man literally said: We are in a unique posistion to spend Sony out of business. Everything he said in that interview was a bold faced lie. The ONLY reason they bought Activision is to win the next generation and have zero competition. This is a trillion dollar company.

Actually it was Matt Booty who said it.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep.
The evil has been defeated.

Doubt Skepticism GIF by NRK P3

Where is the PS5 upgrade for Minecraft Dungeons then?

Represent(ative) of bad opinions​

Yup, seems about right..... Donut.

BootsLoader

Banned
I don't believe Phil anymore, he overpromises, he almost always underperforms, he always lie. Now that he has Todd next to him, they will lie together.
Just get a better PC.

StueyDuck

Banned
Yes because gaming executives never tell half truths or lie...

All hail Phil, our mighty lord and savior, thoust have more money than others, yay money, yay consolidation. We praise thee at the church of spencer

Last edited:

GudOlRub

Playstation players were benefited before this deal, from now on they are going to be on equal footing with xbox and pc players, I see nothing wrong with this tbh... (I'm talking about cod only, not the deal as a whole)

Sure, after the 10 years have passed microsoft will most likely begin shafting playstation players, but until now it was the other way around, this deal guaranteeing that every platform will be equal for at least a decade is better than anything we would've gotten if sony kept making deals with activision imo.

And for the record, I do not like this acquisition, monopolies are always bad. I just think that the cod situation in particular will seemingly improve and people who dislike it are just jelly.

Robb

Gold Member
I assume this means “Switch 2”. Although it’d be very fun to see them attempt a Switch version. That’s a Digital Foundry video I’d watch for sure.

Last edited:

Majukun

acquisition seems kinda useless if you don't leverage all those ip for additional gains in relevance, but what do i know.

DragonNCM

All new games from ABK in the future will be on GP & Sony funs will have same deal......charging 70$ for every new game. Give Xbox funs free content & charge competition for profit. Brilliant plan 😂

Ozriel

M$FT
It should be on PS+ if they want parity.

Putting CoD on GP and not on PS+ is almost doing the same as exclusive content.

Pretty sure it will be on PS+ if Sony pays for the lost retail sales.

Leave it to Phil to make a contractual obligation seem like charity.

They promised content and feature parity of released COD games in all public statements.

‘Content and feature parity’ doesn’t necessarily have to include pre-release betas.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Who honestly thought they would make it exclusive? You don't spend over $68 billion and choke your revenue stream by keeping one of the biggest games on the planet on one platform. That's just stupid.
It wouldn't be on one platform; it would be off one platform :p

In any event, I expect CoD to shift years down the line. They didn't scoop up massive publishers to sit around a fire with PlayStation and belt out kumbaya. On top of that, why would they need a 10-year deal if that wasn't in the plan? And finally, have we forgotten this?

Last edited:
I don't get why Microsoft would buy Activision-Blizzard if they don't want to use Call of Duty and their other games as an incentive for people to buy an Xbox over a PlayStation. If it were the other way round and Sony owned this company then I am sure they would be doing everything in their power to make the Xbox versions of the games the least appealing version.

I have no interest in playing Call of Duty any more, by the way, and haven't for the past 8 or 9 years.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't get why Microsoft would buy Activision-Blizzard if they don't want to use Call of Duty and their other games as an incentive for people to buy an Xbox over a PlayStation. If it were the other way round and Sony owned this company then I am sure they would be doing everything in their power to make the Xbox versions of the games the least appealing version.
Indeed. Look at how bad Destiny is on Xbox now...

kaizenkko

The option will be simple. Play it on gamepass on pc, Xbox and mobile. Or buy it for £70 on ps5 and switch 2.
Choices.
Let's think, Sherly: do you really think who people who have a Playstation will change the platform they have play for years just to save 70 bucks?

Flutta

Banned

I have no interest in playing Call of Duty any more, by the way, and haven't for the past 8 or 9 years.
They will don’t worry, they’re just playing ”The Good Guy” for now.

Top Bottom