• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "I know we have to take risks [after Scalebound cancellation],"

Friggin sad, it's like a war badge for them, I mean they are adults.

I mean, some of them like Mike Ybarra are working to bring the box to reality. Why shouldn't they be excited? What makes it worse from a Knack avatar or a Nintendo character avi? People are just excited for a new system. I think that's healthy for our industry.

I mean, some of them like Mike Ybarra are working to bring the box to reality. Why shouldn't they be excited? What makes it worse from a Knack avatar or a Nintendo character avi? People are just excited for a new system. I think that's healthy for our industry.

Most people with that badge (Not all) are not healthy for the industry at all, they are massive console warriors of the worst kind.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Most people with that badge (Not all) are not healthy for the industry at all, they are massive console warriors of the worst kind.

No, I'm pretty sure they're healthy for the industry because they most likely buy lots of games and consoles.

It's natural for people to align themselves with particular brands. It happens all the time. No one has an obligation, especially with video games, to be fair and impartial when it comes to what they enjoy.

sirronoh

This has been my observation as well. Just look through their Twitter timelines. I don't think there's a ton of people like this but I've come across too many so far that just so happen to use that symbol in their profile. Seems like an odd coincidence.

otakukidd

The people with the knack avatar lost a avatar bet to the person that originally had it. They just never changed it back after the bet.

It's weird and sad.

It's not weird at all. You see this in sports all the time. A team is coming off a disastrous season and all of the fans' hopes and dreams are placed on the new coach, free agent, draft pick, etc.

If some success coincides with the change in personnel then those hopes and dreams solidify into a diehard following and worship until the team is in dire straits again at which point the cycle starts anew.

It's not weird at all. You see this in sports all the time. A team is coming off a disastrous season and all of the fans' hopes and dreams are placed on the new coach, free agent, draft pick, etc.

If some success coincides with the change in personnel then those hopes and dreams solidify into a diehard following and worship until the team is in dire straits again.

Consoles are not a sport, it's an electronic device by a mega corporation, I think it's pathetic, if you don't...ok that's fine.

Having an obsessive/sports like following over an executive because he is in charge of a piece of plastic is beyond weird to me.

I always had the idea that MS has been super quiet to bring out their wave of new titles and IP for the Scorpio reveal.

However with this news, I think its safe to say that if MS doesn't show up for the Scorpio reveal then they will be in a world of hurt. They need new games in different genres, Their franchise lineup is spot stale despite me actually liking Gears 4 ( Played it with my dad)

Only time will tell at E3. I can't see MS dropping the ball twice on 2 console launchs this generation. Ironically, The main games I was interested in got cancelled (Phantom Dust, Scalebound)

I can only pray Crackdown 3 is safe.

Consoles are not a sport, it's an electronic device by a mega corporation, I think it's pathetic, if you don't...ok that's fine.

Having an obsessive/sports like following over an executive because he is in charge of a piece of plastic is beyond weird to me.

You should know from the fervor that some people cheer on their console manufacturer that they very much do treat it in the exact same way as sports fandom.

I'm not saying that's good but anyone here on GAF can attest to its existence.

All I said is it's not weird because we see it in lots of places not just the games industry. I didn't say it wasn't sad. It is very much sad and pathetic.

bidguy

Banned
I always had the idea that MS has been super quiet to bring out their wave of new titles and IP for the Scorpio reveal.

However with this news, I think its safe to say that if MS doesn't show up for the Scorpio reveal then they will be in a world of hurt. They need new games in different genres, Their franchise lineup is spot stale despite me actually liking Gears 4 ( Played it with my dad)

Only time will tell at E3. I can't see MS dropping the ball twice on 2 console launchs this generation. Ironically, The main games I was interested in got cancelled (Phantom Dust, Scalebound)

I can only pray Crackdown 3 is safe.

i thought so too but it honestly looks like they just dont have anything else

i thought so too but it honestly looks like they just dont have anything else

If what you say is true, then MS has stooped to Wii to Wii U lameduck transition software output that only Nintendo was capable of.

Thats incredible if MS dropped the ball that hard.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
All I said is it's not weird because we see it in lots of places not just the games industry. I didn't say it wasn't sad. It is very much sad and pathetic.
Yeah I don't think it should qualify as weird (as in odd, unusual.)

It's very much common. It's brand loyalty based on emotional connections to luxury items.

Some decisions are surprisingly complex to make, especially about things you don't need, like a video game console. So your brain short circuits and just goes with whatever and then you come up with post-hoc rationalization why you choose one thing over another when prompted to later.

The device or the brand becomes part of your self-image.

I like a diverse Software Portfolio and Sony is pretty good at delivering some games out of a wider spectrum than Microsoft in the last few years from my perspective.

But this could all be self-deception on my part because I subconsciously adopted this persona due to an accident.

Of course I'm not saying we're all this way to the same degree. Some people of course have these brand loyalties more central to their identity and are more feverish, but on a whole we're all irrational apes.

And I feel the some way about sad people obsessing over other men being paid millions of dollars just cause they can kick or hit a ball really well.

Die-hard fanaticism will be found in every fandom, be it sports, video games, and of course politics (and before you tell me the latter is different, remember who is president).

Tecnniqe

Banned
And I feel the some way about sad people obsessing over other men being paid millions of dollars just cause they can kick or hit a ball really well.

Die-hard fanaticism will be found in every fandom, be it sports, video games, and of course politics (and before you tell me the latter is different, remember who is president).

Obama?

Yeah I don't think it should qualify as weird (as in odd, unusual.)

It's very much common. It's brand loyalty based on emotional connections to luxury items.

Some decisions are surprisingly complex to make, especially about things you don't need, like a video game console. So your brain short circuits and just goes with whatever and then you come up with post-hoc rationalization why you choose one thing over another when prompted to later.

The device or the brand becomes part of your self-image.

I like a diverse Software Portfolio and Sony is pretty good at delivering some games out of a wider spectrum that appeals to me.

But this could all be self-deception on my part because I subconsciously adopted this persona.

You see it all the time. People form emotional connections to ecosystems they spend 1,000 + hours a year on. Some people game like it's their job. You see stories posted all the time about great memories of gaming past. It's a hobby people are passionate about. It's engagement. It leads to things like buying a game they're not really interested in just to support a developer. Not logical for their wallet, but it happens, especially here on an enthusiast website.

Go into a Nintendo thread and step out of line, I dare you.

someone doesn't understand the allegiance on competition? hmmmmmm

anything in competition will have this. lol - "omuhgerrd its sad they have diehard fans ohmurgerrrd"... its sad you have this mentality like you're better than anyone else.

I like everything about xbox one EXCEPT the constant dumping of sequels yeah i know it brings them money but like i said before be OG xbox take some risk there will some reward, one of them will hit the massive success button

the original xbox is what got me into western RPG games..like kotor/jade empire i felt like those at the time were xbox exclusives and was amp up to see more of that come to the next one..but slowly it just became a sequel box with no attempts of trying anything triple AAA

I like everything about xbox one EXCEPT the constant dumping of sequels yeah i know it brings them money but like i said before be OG xbox take some risk there will some reward, one of them will hit the massive success button

the original xbox is what got me into western RPG games..like kotor/jade empire i felt like those at the time were xbox exclusives and was amp up to see more of that come to the next one..but slowly it just became a sequel box with no attempts of trying anything triple AAA

Don't make me want another KOTOR. I guess we'll get Mass Effect soon. They're similar.

cakely

someone doesn't understand the allegiance on competition? hmmmmmm

anything in competition will have this. lol - "omuhgerrd its sad they have diehard fans ohmurgerrrd"... its sad you have this mentality like you're better than anyone else.

After reading some of those tweets, I'm confident that I'm better than the guys with that icon in their username. It's pretty low bar to hit.

After reading some of those tweets, I'm confident that I'm better than the guys with that icon in their username. It's pretty low bar to hit.

Internet idiots are a dime a dozen. I don't vouch for the intelligence of this country post election. Each of the big 3 have their "special players".

timlot

Banned
Off-topic.

I've heard of Tim Dog, Crapgamer, and MisterX for the XBOX side, but who are the main culprits for PlayStation and Nintendo's community?

ibgldio38zz4tgzes1k.gif

Stare-Bear

Banned
It's sad really. Microsoft, a company with "infinite" resources could fund the crazy, weird, experimental games. Instead they opt for incredibly safe, paint by numbers franchises.

Consoles are not a piece of plastic either, bud. Little more to that. I figured you'd at least remember the magic energy that makes moving paintings appear on your tiny wall stand while trying to look down on people from your high chair.

Consoles are not a piece of plastic either, bud. Little more to that. I figured you'd at least remember the magic energy that makes moving paintings appear on your tiny wall stand while trying to look down on people from your high chair.

I am not trying to look down on people, touchy much? Consoles are electronics, I find it weird, you don't not a big deal is it? I think it is messed up how people get over it, I am entitled to that. I mean seeing 40 + year old men acting like timdog on twitter is the kind of person I am talking about here,

You're not entitled to shit.

Get off of your high horses and calm down. Just because some of you were dumb enough to invest in a console for one game doesn't mean you can smear the people that are responsible for the cancellation of it.

Many of you should know damn well that a game's release is never definite.

I swear, much of the stuff I read here is child like.

Your response is adult like? Get off your low pony, mate.

Neonep

They ain't taking risks, the just cancelled a game. They are doing the opposite. If they don't have something significant at E3 and/or Gamescom then they are quite fucked.

Not really any surprise. Microsoft never went into gaming to "better" the game industry, they just saw an untapped market they could try to take over like all the other monopolys they established over the years.

Their buisness model never was about funding the creation of great, new IPs, it was always about bribing existing developpers into timed exclusivity deals and other short term methods of getting sales without putting the effort into creating something from the ground up. When they do snatch a developper that's capable of producing well selling IPs, they run them to the ground and let the flame extinguish by making them milk sequels after sequels until both devs and fanbase are sick of the IP... Or cancel any product that's "too risky".

It takes guts and passion to fund, help, nurture a relationship with a developper for years, allowing them to retain creative control over their products and to try new IPs that might not always end up being system sellers , but that have the potential to develop into something else with time. Heck, sometimes that "failed" investment pays off in the long run, as the dev team lears alot from it and creates something awe-insiring afterwards. If there was no ICO, would there have been a Shadow of the Colossus and a The Last Guardian ? With no Demon's Souls, would there have been Dark Souls and Bloodborne ? With no Indigo Prophecy, would there have been Heavy Rain, Beyond and such.

So to me , killing Scalebound is basically sending the message , loud and clear that MS doesn't care about new IPs unless they aren't guaranteed system sellers... Which is kinda sad for a platform sorely lacking in exclusives and living on old franchises on life support (Halo, Gears, Forza). But alas, you woudn't want to lose a couple millions funding Scalebound and broadening your exclusive portfolio. I do think a guy like Spencer cares, but he's clearly just a PR figurehead for a bunch of corporate execs that only care about profit margins and quartely losses for the monopoly that is MS.

if you don't have a vertical slice ready your game is not ready to show off to the public

as players we should be wary when a game is announced solely with a cg trailer unless a vertical gameplay slice is shown off within six months

"Vertical slice" has quickly run the list of terms that I wish had been left in development.

Bluenoser

A YouTuber called Chadwardenn was a massive PS3 fanboy back in the day. Last I heard he's grown up though.

Don't forget Hip Hop Gamer. Dude is a major Sony fanboy. Haven't really heard about him lately though. Did he stop making videos? Or maybe I muted his channel... not sure.

Top Bottom