• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

456785.jpg

The child facing death. The elder facing life. Haunting, sad and amazing.

Retro

Seven foot long amazingly lifelike Serenity model from the series Firefly made out of legos.

Post this in the Lego thread and watch peoples' heads explode. Very impressive.

In fact, I've been lurking in this thread quite a while, not sure I've ever posted, so let me take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone for all of the awesome pictures.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
^ usually don't care for videogame references, but that is cool.

UrbanRats

electron-microscope-photography-brandon-brill61.jpg

Household dust seen under a Microscope, via Cracked.

Alright, dumbass question: how do the color work in these kind of pictures? I mean they're not actual colors right? So is it post processing like in the nebulae pictures or what?

Those salmon-coloured things look like moth feathers. I love this kind of thing :)
To me they look like the chippings you get from sharpening a pencil.

Alright, dumbass question: how do the color work in these kind of pictures? I mean they're not actual colors right? So is it post processing like in the nebulae pictures or what?

Yes, the colors are fake.
It's an image of an electron microscope that detects emitted electrons and by that can create very clear images of extremely small things. This is because electrons have a much smaller wavelength than visible light, but this also means you can't get color images as this information would need to come from the visible light spectrum.

However, you could detect differences in density of electrons in different materials (darker, or lighter etc.) and then add fake colors to highlight stuff.

Top Bottom