• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Gameplay Montage

I can't say I'm wowed by the graphics when the ground textures are all a bit crappy. Lighting and shadows are good and there's some good effects shown in the montage. It all looks very sharp and I imagine it'll run at 60fps given Nintendo's fondness for it. But still, those textures...

I really hope it'll be in 60fps to make up for the short comings.

This is one game I'm all for being in 30fps if it was ground-up and pushing the Wii U to its limits, but since it's a (well done) up-port, 60fps should be very within its power in it's state.

It's certainly one compensation, maybe also in 1080p now that it's been really delayed? Since I think Nintendo only suggested 720p for launch titles, and Pikmin being a port, and not dependent on the pad's screen for another view, resources should be free to allow 1080p.

Who's with me?

Have faith in the 1st party studios like Retro, EAD Tokyo and Monolith. They will deliver.

Teams where the old bosses like Miyamoto and Tezuka are more directly involved aren't going to be producing eye candy titles.
What? Miyanoto likes making beautiful games more than almost anyone else at Nintendo except for maybe koizumi

Shiggy

If this game does revolve around a time limit I will consider not getting it.

That reminds me, didn't they say that there wouldn't be a time limit in the main story but there would be challenge modes that would have it?

Don't think they'll get rid of the time limit. The Pikmin 3 E3 demo also had it.
It would be so great if you could just stay in a level as long as you want to.

It's the Mario effect.
iTflFj6x9OmKv.gif

Sad but true. :(

prwxv3

why?
It will probably be 60 fps... But if it's a steady 30, why would that be such a showstopper all of a sudden?

Well to me the game is not really taxing the hardware graphically so the framerate needs to be 60 to compensate. I will probably be getting the game no matter what though lol.

ohlawd

Well to me the game is not really taxing the hardware graphically so the framerate needs to be 60 to compensate. I will probably be getting the game no matter what though lol.

Of course you will.

It's been 8 years since the last installment. Everyone needs their Pikmin fix, including me :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I've said this many times before, but Pikmin 2 had that goal of paying off debt by finding treasure. I think they could have made the game much more challenging and replaced the 30-day time limit of Pikmin 1 by having that debt be subject to interest. Every day you spend in the Pikmin world, the debt goes up a small percentage. Take much too long to p[ay it off, say 40 days, the accumulated debt becomes too much to overcome and your company goes bankrupt. This could have opened up additional strategy in that expert players could look for ways to get to the most valuable treasure pieces early in the game in order to get a big jump on paying off that debt.

Good Idea!
It adds pressure while still allowing for a flexible time limit.

Question to everyone: Can somebody please explain to me the logic behind the way the game displays the number of Pikmin required to carry an item vs. the amount currently carrying it?

If an item requires 10 Pikmin and currently there are 5, it should display as 5/10 but instead it displays as 10/5 which is confusing. It's not even consistent with the rest of the game because when you want to add/remove Pikmin from an onion the available amount is displayed as a correct fraction.

Question to everyone: Can somebody please explain to me the logic behind the way the game displays the number of Pikmin required to carry an item vs. the amount currently carrying it?

If an item requires 10 Pikmin and currently there are 5, it should display as 5/10 but instead it displays as 10/5 which is confusing. It's not even consistent with the rest of the game because when you want to add/remove Pikmin from an onion the available amount is displayed as a correct fraction.

10/5 = An item takes 5 Pikmin to carry it. That's the minimum. But you can put 10 Pikmin on it to speed up the process of carrying it back to the onion.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'd prefer 1080p @ 30fps than 720p @ 60fps.

----

I have notice that we've yet to see pellet posies in any of the released footage (i think). Hard to believe they would not make a return.

played the Nintendo Direct on my TV from the eShop on HIGH and wow when this game came on the little details looked awesome :)

so I think it is a bump up from E3 maybe in a few months it will look even better

F#A#Oo

Banned
I just ordered Pikmin 1 and 2 Wii versions...I never experienced wii-mote controls for Pikmin just because I felt like Nintendo was cashing in on the demand for Pikmin and filling up that delay and trying to cheaply fill gaps in their release calendar during Wii life cycle...

How good are the controls with the Wii mote now etc?

Are they really an improvement or is it gimmicky improvement? I'd imagine it feels like a mouse cursor or something so you can point quicker and more efficiently rather than the dragging in the GCN.

Jackano

Good Idea!

5|10

I read it as "10 pikmins are currently carrying this, out of 5 really needed".

Never noticed it would confuse people, I'm fine with it. The fact the number dynamically update itself when pikmin comes up is easing the thing.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I just ordered Pikmin 1 and 2 Wii versions...I never experienced wii-mote controls for Pikmin just because I felt like Nintendo was cashing in on the demand for Pikmin and filling up that delay and trying to cheaply fill gaps in their release calendar during Wii life cycle...

How good are the controls with the Wii mote now etc?

Are they really an improvement or is it gimmicky improvement? I'd imagine it feels like a mouse cursor or something so you can point quicker and more efficiently rather than the dragging in the GCN.

The pointer controls are a revelation. Your ability to direct the swarm as a group suffers a bit, due to the lack of the c-stick (you do it by pointing while holding down on the d-pad now), but the point-and-throw is marvelous. If you aim beyond the throwing range the cursor decouples and keeps going, too, so now you can Call at any distance. Not sure I'd ever want to play Pikmin another way, after that.

prwxv3

Can you use the pointer controls with the gamepad. FE: Keep gamepad out for the map while using pointer controls.

Formless

It looks like the levels were done on the Wii. The character models/repeatable objects (flowers, grass, etc) look significantly better. Looks great overall though, they did a great job with lighting and effects. And most importantly, it's a new Pikmin game.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
10/5 = An item takes 5 Pikmin to carry it. That's the minimum. But you can put 10 Pikmin on it to speed up the process of carrying it back to the onion.

it's actually the other way around in the game. 10|5 means 5/10 so 5 more pikmin are required to move the item.
5|10 means 10/5, as in there are 5 extra pikmin and they will move it faster.
The way it's displayed makes it look like a fraction except it's upside down.
pikmin-2-20040602105535387.jpg

But I guess I'm the only one bothered by it...

Rubius

So, with those new Pink Pikmin, I wonder if we will have 7 pods or if it will be like the purple and white from Pikmin 2.

it's actually the other way around in the game. 10|5 means 5/10 so 5 more pikmin are required to move the item.

Oh.. Hmm... Been a couple years since I played it. Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

Rubius

Good Idea!

10/5 = 2 = 200%. The item will move at 200% the normal 100% or 5/5 speed.
You can also put 15/5 or even 20/5 to move at 300 and 400% the regular speed. This way if its near dawn you can put all the pikmins possible to a single item to bring it home faster.

Oh.. Hmm... Been a couple years since I played it. Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

Lets say that I move a stove. Its 1 person job. I can do it alone, but it will be slow, it will be 1/1. 100% of the required personel is working on it. You can get help from a friend where it become a 2/1 job. We have 200% the required personel working on the job, and its way easier.
Add a third or a fourth person and the job is way easier. You can add as much pikmins as there is area for them to grab.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
10/5 = 2 = 200%. The item will move at 200% the normal 100% or 5/5 speed.
You can also put 15/5 or even 20/5 to move at 300 and 400% the regular speed. This way if its near dawn you can put all the pikmins possible to a single item to bring it home faster.

nope. read my previous reply.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sure, I put the fraction upside down, but its the same thing to some extend. 1/2 is simply 2/1 Its not meant to be fraction I think, more a simple way to see (Required|At this moment)

my question was 'why is the fraction upside down?'
nothing more.

Somnid

pikmin-2-20040602105535387.jpg

It's showing lift, there are 43 pikmin under it. IIRC weight is reversed, the number of pikmin on a pedestal is shown as the top number.

Mato

I love Nintendo's approach to making graphics. They are so conservative and thoughtful with polygon allocation and that leaves power to do some really nice lighting, shading and texturing. They are really smart over there, they had a reason for doing more ram over cpu.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
my question was 'why is the fraction upside down?'
nothing more.

Honestly I never even noticed. But watching a video of it now, I gotta imagine that they aren't actually considering it a fraction. It looks more like the logic is "top number is requirement, bottom is what you have on it," and that's because the bottom number is physically closer to the object. Via proximity it defines reality, and the other number is just a guideline.

Were the top number to vary as you added Pikmin, maybe it would seem somewhat disconnected from the item being carried.

Just a guess!

I always just worked on the basis that it was the weight of the item, and the other number is the total Pikmin under (picking up) that weight.

Looks more natural as you're adding Pikmin to it rather than in a screenshot.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I always just worked on the basis that it was the weight of the item, and the other number is the total Pikmin under (picking up) that weight.

Looks more natural as you're adding Pikmin to it rather than in a screenshot.

Oh hey that's actually a pretty good interpretation too.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I think each pikmin should have its own carrying capacity based on its experience level, when it last ate and how much sleep it had the night before.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think you're alleviating his problems with arrogance by stating that it is a fact that this game is "below the bar." What does that bar even entail? As far as pure aesthetics go, I think Pikmin 3 looks better than Banjo and is thus "above the bar." Stating that Pikmin 3 does not match current-gen games is not a statement of fact, but purely something concocted in the mind based on relative standards. A few more "in my opinion" statements might do wonders for your PR (not that you'd care, just saying). I welcome your opinion, but be open to the opportunity of being incorrect in your assessment if you are frustrated by others calling you out for arrogance (I'm not saying you are arrogant).

Everybody can use "I love the art" to try to say it's above whatever bar they have, but it's not a very meaningful discussion. But of course it's my opinion; if people feel the need to hear it being said with every post so that they don't think it's "arrogance" then I'll gladly take the arrogant label, if that's the case. But it's no surprise to me people only expect the "imos" when it's someone being negative. I never hear that comment when people are gushing over something. Interesting how that works.

I admit I don't know how one can reasonably argue that this game is technically competing with the basic bar of AAA game, let alone a AA game from the PS360 gen - whether it is a stylistic game or a realistic game. But you are entitled to the view. You say you think this game looks better than Banjo, but Banjo blows the ever loving shit out of Pikmin 3 technically. It's literally not even in the same football stadium. Pikmin games have the art, but I would have liked to see Pikmin 3 really match the technical bar of average PS360 games. I have consistently failed to see this is the case. There is so much room for improvement in the visual package that, as a huge Pikmin fan, it's a little disappointing. Because of course one of the things you want to see in a next-gen version of a beloved franchise is a substantial leap visually. Pikmin 3 shows its Wii roots at every corner, so it's disappointing to me.

I just don't think this is even remotely a shocking opinion. Many, many people have pointed out the underwhelming state of Pikmin 3's visuals, even those who love the series. It started as a Wii game in its engine, and it's clear it is not terribly far removed - whatever basic next-gen shaders it is utilizing to try to mask that fact. But let's be clear: I was never commenting on other people's opinions regarding its visuals. I just said I felt the graphics are mediocre. Then other people are trying to be all "oh Amir0x, there he goes again" when it's not even the least bit of a controversial point of view. These individuals just don't like hearing negativity.

But that said, I do appreciate the 60fps (Edit: Wait, now we don't know if it's going to be 60fps? I thought that was confirmed?) that it is going to hit. That does go a long way to making up for some technical shortcomings, and I'd take that over some better texture work if I had to choice (although, of course, it's a false choice in the case of Pikmin 3. You can have both, there's room to go unless I'm really overestimating Wii U's power).

Additionally, Nintendo does not owe us anything. A market economy gets rid of any form of owing. Legally, the only thing that is due when a game is made is for currency to be traded for the product. This only happens if the individual desires the game, and thus nothing is necessarily expected at all from the product on its own. If you don't want the game, don't buy it, then maybe Nintendo will "learn" to "meet/surpass the bar."

Of course Nintendo owes us. Every videogame company owes the people who buy their products (and, really, all businesses owe consumers, for whom they would not exist) - you're right in that the market will respond when the company fails, since that is the result of them not listening. Because they DO owe us. We pay money for their products. If they stop listening to our demands, they get less money. These conversations are a symptom of game hobbyists realizing they owe us. Without some real entitlement, videogame forums would be quite dull indeed (and nonsensical - these are giant faceless corporations who care a lick about us, why would we pretend they're not making mistakes?). All videogame companies are in a perpetual state of trying to earn the cash of the fans that love the medium. Nobody is talking about it from a purely legal sense, of course, but from the perspective of the relationship any business has with potential customers. If they fail to respond to the demands of people who are going to pay hard earned cash for their products - because they damn well do owe us - they will suffer by earning less.

We're not actually too far on the perspective, judging by your comment, you just don't want to call it "owing." But that's what it is.

This is slightly off topic, but it's a fairly simple philosophy. Any game, no matter how much I anticipate it, is going to be looked at from a critical eye, because game companies are trying to earn my cash. Because they are in service to their fans and casuals and anyone else who tips their toe into this industry.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm gonna make this extremely simple to understand, Amir0x. You get the response you get not because of what you say, but because how you say it. It's been that way forever. Very rarely does anyone actually argue with (or necessarily even disagree with) the specific arguments you are making. It's the language. People bristle at it, feel attacked by it, and feel the need to attack back. It's antagonistic at a fundamental level, and it has virtually NOTHING to do with the opinion, and everything to do with the words used to compose it. (This isn't in response to your previous post specifically, though.)

On topic, obviously Pikmin 3 shows its Wii roots. The environmental skeleton is extremely low-poly, and you can see it in every rock and tree trunk. There is a ton of polish on top of that, though. The lighting and shadows are exceptional, the foliage is very well made, and the new enemy models are smooth, shiny, and effect-laden.

It is trivial for me to understand how someone could be more impressed by Pikmin 3 than Banjo Kazooie, since as a PACKAGE it is more visually pleasing. This Banjo shot, for example, is positively vile. And features some low-res ground textures that I'd say are worse than Pikmin 3's, actually. While you can likely isolate plenty of places where Banjo succeeds on a purely technical level, though, it's basically irrelevant if it doesn't come together.

And Pikmin 3 comes together. It is a cohesive and beautiful aesthetic that manages to transcend its technical roots. For this reason, many do not use words like "mediocre" without context to describe it, and bristle when others do. It's a matter of priorities, does a person look at the visuals as a whole, or focus more on the individual components? To each their own, but when you go through Pikmin with a laundry list of complaints about every technical aspect, you will receive disagreements not from people who don't think those aspects exist, but rather who do not draw the same conclusions from them that you do.

eternalb

And Pikmin 3 comes together. It is a cohesive and beautiful aesthetic that manages to transcend its technical roots. For this reason, many do not use words like "mediocre" without context to describe it, and bristle when others do. It's a matter of priorities, does a person look at the visuals as a whole, or focus more on the individual components? To each their own, but when you go through Pikmin with a laundry list of complaints about every technical aspect, you will receive disagreements not from people who don't think those aspects exist, but rather who do not draw the same conclusions from them that you do.

Nailed it. Except for Nuts & Bolts; that game is beautiful. But everything else: spot-on.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm gonna make this extremely simple to understand, Amir0x. You get the response you get not because of what you say, but because how you say it. It's been that way forever. Very rarely does anyone actually argue with (or necessarily even disagree with) the specific arguments you are making. It's the language. People bristle at it, feel attacked by it, and feel the need to attack back. It's antagonistic at a fundamental level, and it has virtually NOTHING to do with the opinion, and everything to do with the words used to compose it.

This was my comment that sparked the "indignation":

Amir0x said:
Other than the still extremely mediocre graphics and still lack of online multiplayer, some of the additions in this video look really cool. Still my most anticipated game on the radar

You can try to condescend to me and state your opinion as "simple" as you want to if it makes you feel better, it's not going to change that there is not a single drop of malice, or arrogance or ontoward tone in this statement. You end your statement later saying others will bristle at the mere fact that someone calls it 'mediocre.' That truly is not my problem. This is simply people projecting what they want to, as always, onto a template that is convenient for them. At some point you're going to have to actually follow a conversation from its start and realize other people sometimes just overreact and start fights, it's not always Amir0x as nice of a scapegoat as that is for some people.

On topic, obviously Pikmin 3 shows its Wii roots. The environmental skeleton is extremely low-poly, and you can see it in every rock and tree trunk. There is a ton of polish on top of that, though. The lighting and shadows are exceptional, the foliage is very well made, and the new enemy models are smooth, shiny, and effect-laden.

It is trivial for me to understand how someone could be more impressed by Pikmin 3 than Banjo Kazooie, since as a PACKAGE it is more visually pleasing. This Banjo shot, for example, is positively vile. And features some low-res ground textures that I'd say are worse than Pikmin 3's, actually. While you can likely isolate plenty of places where Banjo succeeds on a purely technical level, though, it's basically irrelevant if it doesn't come together.

Because you chose one of the earliest Banjo screenshots - one that was shown way back in May 2008 - that are absolutely in no way representative of the way the game looks in final form. The game has some weak textures in spots, to be sure (as any game of that scale will), but I never understand why people choose to select the screenshots they know people are going to call them out for being misrepresentative. This is more like the average Banjo scene. The texture work in the game frequently slaughters what we have in Pikmin 3 so far. As does the technical aspects in most of the other arenas too.

I can totally respect the idea that someone prefers Pikmin's art to Banjo's (I know I do), but technically it's just like pigs to a slaughter. There's no competition.

Tathanen said:
And Pikmin 3 comes together. It is a cohesive and beautiful aesthetic that manages to transcend its technical roots.

I obviously also don't think it 'comes together', which is the problem I have. I believe technical merits are part of the overall value of a package, and when it is as lackluster as we have here, it hurts the potential of the art style. I feel if there is a Pikmin 4 and it is built from the ground-up for Wii U, you will see just how much further they could have gone.

Socreges

Banned
I'm gonna make this extremely simple to understand, Amir0x. You get the response you get not because of what you say, but because how you say it. It's been that way forever. Very rarely does anyone actually argue with (or necessarily even disagree with) the specific arguments you are making. It's the language. People bristle at it, feel attacked by it, and feel the need to attack back. It's antagonistic at a fundamental level, and it has virtually NOTHING to do with the opinion, and everything to do with the words used to compose it. (This isn't in response to your previous post specifically, though.)
He has an uncanny ability to completely poison threads. It's been like this for years. He'll never change, largely because he's too daft/proud to concede any fault and dare look in the mirror.

Amir0x

Banned
He has an uncanny ability to completely poison threads. It's been like this for years. He'll never change, largely because he's too daft/proud to concede any fault and dare look in the mirror.

Tell me what aspect of the simple comment 'Other than the mediocre graphics, I think some of the additions look great. Still my most anticipated game on my radar' do you believe should be changed so that a bunch of thin-skined fanboys don't freak the fuck out at the drop of a hat? It's absurd at this point. You guys don't even bother to think.

Am I the only one who just... doesn't care? Or notice, for that matter, the lack of graphical fidelity that this game supposedly has? I think it looks beautiful, I've never played a Pikmin game before, and seeing people say that this looks like 1 & 2 but uprezzed is jarring. They look nothing alike, and I think Pikmin 3 looks beautiful. It looks to have a wonderful sense of atmosphere that is only better realized by it's fantastic visual effects in the lighting and shading department, it in no way looks like a Wii game, at all. The textures don't necessarily look like the greatest thing in the world, I guess, but the game as a whole looks beautiful and don't understand how anyone can say it looks in any way bad or poor.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This was my comment that sparked the "indignation":

You can try to condescend to me and state your opinion as "simple" as you want to if it makes you feel better, it's not going to change that there is not a single drop of malice, or arrogance or ontoward tone in this statement. You end your statement later saying others will bristle at the mere fact that someone calls it 'mediocre.' That truly is not my problem. This is simply people projecting what they want to, as always, onto a template that is convenient for them. At some point you're going to have to actually follow a conversation from its start and realize other people sometimes just overreact and start fights, it's not always Amir0x as nice of a scapegoat as that is for some people.

I am well aware of what the original comment was, but thanks for condescending to me, too. As I was careful to say:

many do not use words like "mediocre" without context to describe it

It's a blanket statement without context. It is not a critique on any one element, it is "this game looks extremely mediocre." Clearly many people do not believe so, and in fact think the game looks excellent. Thus this whole damn argument. It's a casual driveby "looks like shit" in a thread of people being impressed, so don't be shocked when you get a "what." Now if you had said "extremely mediocre environmental geometry" I can't imagine there would've been any complaints.

I saw that Banjo shot you linked to, and I still think it looks pretty gross. Not technically, just "visually." So I'll stick with my stance there, poor screenshot selection on my end notwithstanding.

I obviously also don't think it 'comes together', which is the problem I have. I believe technical merits are part of the overall value of a package, and when it is as lackluster as we have here, it hurts the potential of the art style. I feel if there is a Pikmin 4 and it is built from the ground-up for Wii U, you will see just how much further they could have gone.

I agree, I hope to see a Pikmin 4 from the ground up, I think it'll look great. But I just do not focus on the individual technical aspects of Pikmin 3 in the same way you do. In that while I obviously notice them, I do not place the same individual importance on them. To me it just feels like you can't see the forest for the trees. To call out and wish that those elements were better? Sure, absolutely. But to damn the entire visual as "extremely mediocre?" This is where I stutter.

Gahiggidy

Have we even seen footage of the game running zoomed all the way out?

Personally I feel if it wasn't Ami most people wouldn't care.
Not that I agree 100% with what hes saying but people do seem to put an odd weight to what he says so have to take it on more if they disagree with him.

Personally I'd point out the game has been in WiiU development a while now. So theres obviously a lot of work on something being done. So I think its unfair to say its a Wii game.

Next the game has a while to come out.
I think a few things won't change though. Like water reflections, thats just Nintendo being Nintendo and seeing the water as nothing but a gameplay element to the player and the visuals are there to identify this.

Some of those enemy designs are impressive, especially that giant underground moth thing.
Bubbles too look good (obviously this is not just some models running around, a lot more is going on in the game that is getting attention).

Flowers appear changed and added since E3; so again unfair to say its like a Wii game.

I would say things like the ground textures are from its Wii early development. Design has began with mostly generic surfaces. If this were started as Wii U only I think they'd have began building more complexities into the ground environment.

Could get some extra touches by release though, which is Q2, this game is still being developed and those textures are cheap and changable.

Game looks amazing; bit 'blunt' in its execution but other things are very pretty and the atmosphere seems like something I can soak up.

Amir0x

Banned
I am well aware of what the original comment was, but thanks for condescending to me, too. As I was careful to say:

It's a blanket statement without context. It is not a critique on any one element, it is "this game looks extremely mediocre." Clearly many people do not believe so, and in fact think the game looks excellent. Thus this whole damn argument. It's a casual driveby "looks like shit" in a thread of people being impressed, so don't be shocked when you get a "what." Now if you had said "extremely mediocre environmental geometry" I can't imagine there would've been any complaints.

I saw that Banjo shot you linked to, and I still think it looks pretty gross. Not technically, just "visually." So I'll stick with my stance there, poor screenshot selection on my end notwithstanding.

I didn't get a "what." If I got a "hey, why do you feel that way", I would have described in great detail why - as I always do. I always take the care to expand my thoughts in extreme detail.

What I got was "THE HELL!?" "IS THIS POST SERIOUS!?" etc etc. That was what I was responding to, this fake bit of pretend shock that anyone can think this. PLENTY of people in Pikmin 3 topics for ages have been echoing my comment, and even after I made the comment I did plenty of people agreed that it is not the best looking game. I can even quote them for you. So it's not just me being negative in a topic well of all positive commentary.

Top Bottom