• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planned Parenthood exec, fetal body parts subject of controversial video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazerei

Banned
There's a new video out today of another meeting with a PP exec, and this one's a little more ... yuck is all I can think to say. It's much more clearly a negotiation (she even won't give a dollar value she's willing to take 'per specimen' and says that typically in a negotiation it's the first party that makes an offer that's usually "out" in the end) and at the end is talking about working with the doctor to make sure 'less crunchy' procedures are used whenever possible to ensure preserving whole tissues. I'm sure there's some editing done to the content of the meeting to emphasize the ugliest statements, but damn it's not pleasant.

I'm pro-choice, or at least I should say that I see abortion as a medical procedure only and strictly between the patient and doctor, i.e. none of the government's business. But I can't support it being an industry, geesh.

I'm just going to quote what I wrote in the other thread:
You're going to have to explain what the problem here is exactly, because this just sounds like what happens with adults. Medical schools and institutes regularly purchase human bodies, organs, and tissues for educational and research purposes. Yes there is money being exchanged for organs, the horror! There are a number of companies in the business of procuring, storing, and transporting human tissues. It's not free.

There's already an industry around human organ and tissue donations. The material doesn't get from donors to researchers by magic; people have to be compensated for their work, and money will change hands for it. The concern over PP is plainly manufactured here. It's nothing new, and nothing out of the ordinary. Just business as usual in the medical industry.

I've registered to be an organ donor. I'm not concerned that if I visit the ER, the doctors will to try to kill me so they can """sell""" my organs. (I'm using scare quotes because they are not actually profiting from it. Same with PP.) That would be crazy. As are anti-abortionists trying to raise a stink here.

I get all my Abortion related news from Fox 'we're totally impartial and would never push an aggressive, religion laced angle against abortion' News.

It's the only source to trust in these troubled times of biased news reporting.

TylerD

This whole thing is exasperating. Yesterday, TX legislature did a four-hour "investigation" hearing on Planned Parenthood in Texas because of this propaganda even though PP in TX doesn't actually do fetal tissue donation, which would be legal even if they did.

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2...planned-parenthood-hearing-texas-legislature/

Yeah, come September there will be 10 places in all of Texas that can legally perform abortions (as ambulatory centers). 10 to service 27 million people. The closest one from me here in Lubbock is in Ft Worth, 260 miles away...

Obviously MSNBC would report on the video better

Has anyone suggested such a thing? Or used them as a source?

Have you seen these women testimonies,
why would they lie to themselves?

Not only do some women regret the abortion now they have to deal wit the fact that they didn't even know their children were sold and they don't even recall agreeing to anything.

This is sorta reminds of companies like comcast shoe-horning deals without my knowledge,
next time I see the bill, it ends up being 3X the price they told me.

There was a study that showed the vast majority don't regret it.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1079459

Okay, so I've been trying to learn more about this, and I have some questions to make sure I'm not missing something.

So far I have:
1. Watched the unedited version of the interview with Medical Director Savita Ginde
2. Watched the edited version of the interview with President of PPFA Medical Directors’ Council Mary Gatter
3. Read the recent Vox article by an author who watched all of the currently available unedited videos (http://www.vox.com/2015/8/13/9140849/planned-parenthood-videos-unedited)
4. Briefly reviewed this thread.

There are two specific things that still seem off to me and that I want to double check myself on by asking people who might have more knowledge than me on the subject:

1. The "negotiation" process in the Gatter video and the discussion of compensation in the Ginde video do not seem in line with a pay-to-recoup-costs approach. In this thread people have explained that there are costs associated with the work and the transport and so on, which makes sense, but what I would expect is a discussion around compensation that discusses what the costs are and not a negotiation process (like in the Gatter video) or a fee-per-part discussion (like in the Ginde video).

2. The discussion around altering the medical procedure that comes up in the Gatter video and that is referenced in the Vox article sounds like a "bioethical" concern.

My sense is that those two points are pretty clear, but there's always the stuff you don't know that you don't know, so any additional information that would shed a different light on those two points would be appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom