• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ushiwaka

I'm loving PS4's share ability. It was made for doing crazy stuff and recording it aka Combo videos. And yet there are no Platinum games* on PS4 :'( O hands of fate, why are you so cruel?! Why can't I do some wicked weavin' on my PS4 and share it with you guys here? WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY?! Bayo1 remaster on PS4 when ;____;
And PG is making this worse by being silent. Ugh...

* I know about Korra, but that game doesn't allow that much crazy stuff.

Metal Gear Rising 2. Believe.

Although after this Kojima disaster, what is even going on at Konami. The game might end up as a free-to-play, multi-player only, squad based fps.

Ushiwaka

Metal Gear Rising 2. Believe.

Although after this Kojima disaster, what is even going on at Konami. The game might end up as a free-to-play, multi-player only, squad based fps.

I want Bayonetta :(

MGR2 will be all of those things + it will be on mobile.

Jokes aside, I don't think Konami is going to mess up with MGR2 in that way. They know what fans want.

Golnei

Jokes aside, I don't think Konami is going to mess up with MGR2 in that way. They know what fans want.

That's giving Konami far too much credit. I fully expect Metal Gear's charred corpse to join that of Castlevania and Silent Hill in a few years.

Though I do agree that MGR2 is likely safe; whether the subseries will ever be allowed to continue beyond that is a much less certain prospect.

Ushiwaka

That's giving Konami far too much credit. I fully expect Metal Gear's charred corpse to join that of Castlevania and Silent Hill in a few years.

Though I do agree that MGR2 is likely safe; whether the subseries will ever be allowed to continue beyond that is a much less certain prospect.

If it sells good, I don't see why we can't have MGR3, really.

====

So, since Scalebound is using Unreal Engine 4, I think UE4 is going to be PG's engine for this gen. Maybe not for MGR2 (hopefully Fox Engine). But imagine Bayo 3 and Vanquish 2 on UE4 ;___;

Ushiwaka

Platinum-chan

7T7nhNe.jpg

Found the pic on PG's twitter :D

Ushiwaka

I know we joked around about MGR2 being cancelled and all, but this is the first time that I am really concerned about MGR2. When a project as big as Silent Hills is getting cancelled, I don't know what would happen to MGR2. Goddamn Konami.

Regiruler

So I finished Madworld and I don't really like how the story ends, and need a tad more closure. Is AR worth playing for $5, regardless of the multiplayer?

Also, is it better or worse than MW? I found some of the bosses in MW to be disappointing, but for $3 I can't really complain.

Unit24

So I finished Madworld and I don't really like how the story ends, and need a tad more closure. Is AR worth playing for $5, regardless of the multiplayer?

Also, is it better or worse than MW? I found some of the bosses in MW to be disappointing, but for $3 I can't really complain.

Anarchy Reigns is hard to compare to Madworld because It's a completely different kind of game, and the story is hardly connected at all. It has some of the same characters, and that's about it.

Regiruler

Anarchy Reigns is hard to compare to Madworld because It's a completely different kind of game, and the story is hardly connected at all. It has some of the same characters, and that's about it.

How is AR on it's own merits then for $5, PS3 version?

XDDX

How is AR on it's own merits then for $5, PS3 version?
Can't go wrong for $5. The soundtrack is worth that much alone and the gameplay is pretty fun too, but simpler than other platinum games. Story is whatever but the cutscenes are great, especially if you played Madworld and know some of the characters from that.

Keasar

I'm still not that convinced about The Wonderful 101. It has its moments in terms of story and cinematics but there was so many frustrating gameplay moments I can hardly place it at the top or close to.

I'm still not that convinced about The Wonderful 101. It has its moments in terms of story and cinematics but there was so many frustrating gameplay moments I can hardly place it at the top or close to.

Gameplay-wise, I place it at the very top, but it's not a game for everyone indeed.

Unit24

Agreed. It's a game I wanted to like more than I actually liked. I absolutely adore it stylistically, and the gameplay concepts are really cool, but it pisses me off way too much. Everybody talks about how incredibly amazing the finale is, and yeah in terms of spectacle it's pretty fantastic, but gameplay-wise it's not that great. Especailly Operation 009-B.

Keasar

For me, the problems was a lot of this whole "draw" mechanic, often I would draw a shape and the game would go "Nah, thats not a circle!" "Thats not a zigzag pattern!" "Thats not wavy!" and it became pretty frustrating to try and get the weapon you wanted.

Then there were moments like when you fought Oroboru in the first boss fight and you have to fill one of the dragon heads eyes by standing next to it and "draw" towards it, but it is extremely fucking petty about where you stand and where you point so I had to redo that part at times over and over because my W100s would be standing still not doing anything.

Then there was the mechanic of getting hit and you had to quickly gather all the people back together which was extremely annoying having to do over and over and over, especially considering you couldn't block or dodge anymore if you didn't have enough people gathered.

Then everything is also so fucking tiny and the screen gets filled to the brim with particle effects that you can barely see what is going on and easily miss one of those tiny minions who just then charges in and hits you.

Not to mention the fight against The Prince who used a slew of different attacks and it was often hard to figure out what the hell you could block or what you had to dodge. This goes for many of the enemies.

So no, Wonderful 101 is not his best game. It is fun once you get past all that annoying crap (a lot of which isn't explained to you when playing), but his best game remains Bayonetta hands down.

For me, the problems was a lot of this whole "draw" mechanic, often I would draw a shape and the game would go "Nah, thats not a circle!" "Thats not a zigzag pattern!" "Thats not wavy!" and it became pretty frustrating to try and get the weapon you wanted.

Question, do you use the gamepad screen or the analog to draw? Did you unlock the faster draw speed and hold the button to make it even faster? I can pull off any weapon in fractions of a second, and worst case scenario I can redraw them just as fast, even in 101 Hard where time doesn't stop. It's all practice.

Then there were moments like when you fought Oroboru in the first boss fight and you have to fill one of the dragon heads eyes by standing next to it and "draw" towards it, but it is extremely fucking petty about where you stand and where you point so I had to redo that part at times over and over because my W100s would be standing still not doing anything.

That one is kind of a bother because the very last Wonderful can get stuck and you have to hit the stick a few times to get him in there. Once you unlock a couple secret characters (which raise your max over 100) it stops being a problem.

Then there was the mechanic of getting hit and you had to quickly gather all the people back together which was extremely annoying having to do over and over and over, especially considering you couldn't block or dodge anymore if you didn't have enough people gathered.

With dashing and extending a line to get them back you can get them back in a second or two with a little experience. You only need 10 to dodge or block anyway.

Then everything is also so fucking tiny and the screen gets filled to the brim with particle effects that you can barely see what is going on and easily miss one of those tiny minions who just then charges in and hits you.

I play in a 40" screen so I guess that helps. In any case smaller minions should get caught in your attacks, it's rare to have one be able to reach you and in any case that's what Ukemi is for. :)

Not to mention the fight against The Prince who used a slew of different attacks and it was often hard to figure out what the hell you could block or what you had to dodge. This goes for many of the enemies.

Well, that all goes with learning the game, same as with any P* game. You can block his blunt attacks, i.e. fist and hammer.

So no, Wonderful 101 is not his best game. It is fun once you get past all that annoying crap (a lot of which isn't explained to you when playing), but his best game remains Bayonetta hands down.

Wow, I have to strongly disagree. B1 is really good but I wouldn't place it at his top 2, probably not even top 3.

Keasar

Question, do you use the gamepad screen or the analog to draw? Did you unlock the faster draw speed and hold the button to make it even faster? I can pull off any weapon in fractions of a second, and worst case scenario I can redraw them just as fast, even in 101 Hard where time doesn't stop. It's all practice.
Analog and yes, unlocked it all. I have played 2 runs through but I am not in a hurry to play it again anymore. Even though I have practiced some I still could get the game go "Naw, not right, try again".

That one is kind of a bother because the very last Wonderful can get stuck and you have to hit the stick a few times to get him in there. Once you unlock a couple secret characters (which raise your max over 100) it stops being a problem.
But it always fills up to 100 until you have found every single one of the W100s plus the secret characters, something I never got to. So this kept remaining a problem.

With dashing and extending a line to get them back you can get them back in a second or two with a little experience. You only need 10 to dodge or block anyway.
Once again, the game tells jack shit about this stuff so it took me to watching a Saur tutorial video on Youtube after my first playthrough until I got this tip. Something that would have helped to know before all that frustrating crap.

I play in a 40" screen so I guess that helps. In any case smaller minions should get caught in your attacks, it's rare to have one be able to reach you and in any case that's what Ukemi is for. :)
45 or something inch screen, so same, but usually you are focused on the other tiny speck of an enemy you are fighting you loose the sense of what is around you. This has not been a problem in Bayonetta or any other Kamiya game where I feel I got a complete clear picture of what is around me.

Well, that all goes with learning the game, same as with any P* game. You can block his blunt attacks, i.e. fist and hammer.
Stuff the game doesnt tell you part 421, you have to buy the dodge and block and even in the little text blurbs it makes no mention of what can and can't be blocked.

Wow, I have to strongly disagree. B1 is really good but I wouldn't place it at his top 2, probably not even top 3.
I easily place it up there. Perfect controls, clear and easy to learn with everything you know at the start (DODGE!) and the game doesn't mess with that formula, only letting you go deeper into the mentioned mechanics afterwards, the music of Bayonetta is one of my all-time favorite soundtracks and Bayonetta is the female character of ever. Bayonetta is by far his best. The Wondeful 101 is cute but felt mostly like spectacle, sure its easy to get hyped along with the story but godfuckingdamnit few games have ever frustrated me so much. I have played DMC1, 3, 4, Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta 1 (like 24 times or something) and even the God of War series but The Wonderful 101 was the one that broke me mentally for being so annoying. It worked a lot better on my second playthrough but even on my first with all those other games (GoW series can be debated) I still had a great time getting my ass handed to me, not with The Wonderful 101.

TEJ

Recently bought an xbox one. My body is ready for scalebound. I also double dipped on the legend of korra. Not a bad game but it definitely feels a bit subdued when compared to their other games.

I really want to see a platinum made avengers game, but it is doubtful it will ever happen.

popyea

On combat alone, W101 is right there behind Bayo. Of course there is a lot of crap put between you and mastering the combat, but it seems pointless to critique that stuff since it has no affect on your enjoyment after a certain point. I think the games feel very similar when you're close to the skill ceiling.

Even though I'm butt at W101, I have to appreciate it for what it is. I can't not like a game that's focused so totally on mechanics and systems with content that's full of variety and that rewards commitment. That's pretty much everything I want in a game.

Fair criticism, the game does a terrible job of explaining itself, and having to manually unlock Dodge and Block was a terrible decision. I benefit from having bought the Wii U and the game a year later, and watching Saur's videos several times before and while playing the demo, but I can imagine the game being frustration central for someone at launch.

The one thing is that when everything clicks it's as good and deep as Bayonetta, while at the same time being much quite different. Since B2 is a refinement from B1, which is a refinement from DMC3/4 which are refinements from DMC1, even though Kamiya only directed two of these games, TW101 feels fresher, and I love that in a game and am willing to overlook the inevitable roughness that comes with experimentation.

Golnei

My life can never be complete unless I own one.

tumblr_no550qivaI1sub2buo2_1280.jpg

Why would you want Platinum to make a Jurassic Park game?
:D

They can partner with Mikami again and make a Vanquish spiritual successor; now with added Dino Crisis.

I thought they got tired of people shouting Kill la Kill at them last time.

Kamiya demanded another mass sacrifice, so Platinum lured the unsuspecting public to appease him. I wonder which group of fans will have the honour of being fodder for this month's "ENOUGH OF [X] IDIOTS"?

Regiruler

Madworld fans are excluded because Jack killed them already
EDIT: Speaking of Ninja Gaiden, how is NG3:RE? It's under $10 fairly consistently.

Golnei

Speaking of which, I started playing Anarchy Reigns again for no particular reason - I abandoned it after barely touching it years ago because MGR had just released
and I somehow missed the existence of the lock-on button
, but going back to it, I'm actually enjoying it a lot more. It's a shame the multiplayer is long-dead, but there's a lot of other things I dismissed earlier which were fairly well implemented - the combat system as a whole was a fairly balanced way to integrate character action/beat-em-up mechanics into a vaguely competitive setting (and even if it lacked depth compared to the Bayonettas; it didn't feel overtly limited - though I perhaps would have liked to see more characters who used weapons outside of their Killer Weapon animations), the progression of campaign stages was a reasonably well-implemented alternative to linear stages, the side missions generally were much more tolerable than the minigames that were thrown at the player in Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101, the cutscene direction is actually up to the standards of other Platinum games; and some of the enemies in retrospect are fairly fun - I had dismissed them all as generic cannon fodder, but the Super / Berserk Mutants and Cybrid Joes are legitimately enjoyable, and the Kraken and Cthulhu are at least better than a few of Bayonetta (1)'s angel bosses. I'm even starting to warm up to the game's long-reviled aesthetic - I don't think I'll ever like the environments or some of the enemy designs, but the characters are undeniably endearing. I probably still would have made a few changes to their actual designs, but their concepts work.

I know there's no hope of an actual sequel being made, but I'd love it if that style was revisited by Platinum in the future - at least Scalebound is highly likely to have some multiplayer elements.

Is there a better pic of the Sam one?

I can only find one more image of the actual thing.

tumblr_ncfb3zB5ti1sub2buo1_500.jpg

It seems fairly common in fanart, though.

So I had a surreal moment the other day, my mum messaged me and asked if I knew Saur the guy who developed Bayonetta. At first I wasn't shocked that she got it wrong, but more so that she asked me about Saur and Bayonetta.

I explained that he does really extensive guides on on games, including Bayonetta. Apparently her work mate used to work with and is still friends with Saur. It was so crazy.

Her friend emailed me and said she'd pass on that I'm a big fan of his work when she sees him next.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I just tried to play Wonderful 101 with Japanese voices.
Not going to do that again... yeesh.

Top Bottom