• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.
platinum just sending 1 envoy to every company so they can call their game a "platinum" title

Joking aside, I'm kind of fearing this is somewhat what is happening. It feels like they're going to spread themselves ridiculously thin with five titles developing at once, and some of these might be P* in name only. I mean, even when they only developed two-three titles at once we got stuff that wasn't exactly their best, like Anarchy Reigns and Korra. I'm a bit worried.

Ushiwaka

Joking aside, I'm kind of fearing this is somewhat what is happening. It feels like they're going to spread themselves ridiculously thin with five titles developing at once, and some of these might be P* in name only. I mean, even when they only developed two-three titles at once we got stuff that wasn't exactly their best, like Anarchy Reigns and Korra. I'm a bit worried.

Star Fox and Transformers (which are not huge projects) are out this year and Scalebound is probably 2016. Nier is far far away I think. Maybe 2017 based on they just showed some concept art. So don't worry, I think they can get through this and give us quality games.

P.S: Never thought I would be talking about Nier in this thread. Wow I'm still in shock.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Looking forward the PlatinumGames' conference at E32016.

PG won E3 this year, Konami lost cause they didn't have MGR2 to show.

Nemmy

I wasn't checking the news for like one day and it turns out I missed two P* game reveals in that time. Holy shit!!!

But I'm super happy for them. I hope all the people who keep repeating "Platinum's gonna go bankrupt soon! They're running out of publishers to piss off!!!" are ready to eat their crows. It seems publishers are still more than happy to hire them.

Also a NieR game having Platinum's combat and visuals might as well dethrone Dragon's Dogma as ARPG of the forever.

I wasn't checking the news for like one day and it turns out I missed two P* game reveals in that time. Holy shit!!!

But I'm super happy for them. I hope all the people who keep repeating "Platinum's gonna go bankrupt soon! They're running out of publishers to piss off!!!" are ready to eat their crows. It seems publishers are still more than happy to hire them.

Yeah, it was a bit crazy how Platinum was goddamn everywhere this E3. I'm slightly worried that might spread them too thin, in fact.

Also a NieR game having Platinum's combat and visuals might as well dethrone Dragon's Dogma as ARPG of the forever.

I really don't know what to expect about that as I've barely played any Drakengard games, only NieR, which was very character-focused gameplay-wise, pretty much the opposite of the free form, open world, make-your-own-character of Dragon's Dogma. But Drakengard games do have different kinds of characters, right? Do they have casters and such?

In any case, it's a match made in heaven. P* games (as we know) have the best gameplay and spectacular visuals but often have middling stories, while NieR had a great story and dubbing but mediocre gameplay and visuals. Mixing the best talents of each team is bound to produce something very special.

This E3 was surreal in that my favorite developer was announced to be making games on two of my favorite IPs (Starfox and Transformers), yet I can't shake the feeling that, like Korra, it really is too good to be true... :/

Golnei

I really don't know what to expect about that as I've barely played any Drakengard games, only NieR, which was very character-focused gameplay-wise, pretty much the opposite of the free form, open world, make-your-own-character of Dragon's Dogma. But Drakengard games do have different kinds of characters, right? Do they have casters and such?

In any case, it's a match made in heaven. P* games (as we know) have the best gameplay and spectacular visuals but often have middling stories, while NieR had a great story and dubbing but mediocre gameplay and visuals. Mixing the best talents of each team is bound to produce something very special.

Drakengard as a series is the opposite of constant. Like Nier, it has a tendency to be unpredictable and oppressive, but unlike Nier; both Drakengard 1 and 3 are essentially black comedies that aim for absurdity more than pathos - but really, even between the two Drakengard games there isn't all that much in the way of consistent tone. Though everything seems to suggest that the new Nier project will aim for a more grounded atmosphere, as with the first game, regardless of the differences in narrative and setting. As for characters, they tend to be relatively varied in terms of design throughout, even if the implementation of their abilities was often (quasi-deliberately) laughably bad. Ignoring the omnipresent dragons, the child-eating elf party member Arioch from the first game has a pact with twin elemental spirits, which could easily be extrapolated into an interesting moveset; while another party member has access to a golem. Zero and her concubini in Drakengard 3 fight with chakrams, spears and bare hands along with swords; providing slightly more variety when put together than what was available to Nier, minus the Grimoire spells.

Actually, the latter is what I'm most interested in for the sequel - Weiss was the largest differentiating factor to Nier's combat; (in addition to single-handedly facilitating the 2D shooting segments) and since none of the three playable characters appear to possess an equivalent, it'd be impossible to just replicate Nier's combat even if they wanted to. With three characters, I'm hoping that they'll decide to do something completely different for each - especially since the second appears to be a child; perhaps analogous to Emil's original body in the first game.

Golnei

Can I say that I hope PG forces 60fps upon Nier 2? Because I hope they do.

Seeing what happened with Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns, they likely will go with 30 if the console really struggles - it isn't going to be an action game, after all. Though I'm not sure how likely it is that they'll even come close to needing to do that, seeing as they probably don't have the budget to produce anything that would really push the PS4; unless the game does something interesting with a persistent world or NPC schedules.

Nemmy

I was thinking about dethroning Dragon's Dogma strictly in regards to combat and visual style; I doubt its adventure feel would be topped in a Nier game. But taken as a sum of its parts, a Nier sequel with P* combat has the potential to be a better game IMO. Though of course we can't know how it turns out in the end - but the possibility is there :)

I can't really say anything about Drakengard's combat that Golnei didn't say already; I only played the first one and can't really say I cherish the memories.

Seeing what happened with Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns, they likely will go with 30 if the console really struggles - it isn't going to be an action game, after all. Though I'm not sure how likely it is that they'll even come close to needing to do that, seeing as they probably don't have the budget to produce anything that would really push the PS4; unless the game does something interesting with a persistent world or NPC schedules.

Yeah I have serious doubts we should be expecting, well, the expected from Platinum's involvement with Nier 2. I have little doubt it'll be more fun to play than part 1, but with the intent being the same genre bending nonsense as the first, I anticipate less deep systems than usual and a 30fps target.

I was thinking about dethroning Dragon's Dogma strictly in regards to combat and visual style; I doubt its adventure feel would be topped in a Nier game. But taken as a sum of its parts, a Nier sequel with P* combat has the potential to be a better game IMO. Though of course we can't know how it turns out in the end - but the possibility is there :)

I hate to be the fucking Dark Souls guy, but Dark Souls tops Dragon's Dogma in both combat and visual style for me. Which reminds me of how excited I am for Dark Souls 3. Ah, if they hadn't leaked so many things previous to E3, this one would have been quite decent for announcements.

Akiller

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/612117251664121856

Guys... This means Okami 2 is happening, right?
Right? ;___;

fc312cbaf7.png

That didn't last long xD

Regiruler

Getting back into Bayo 2 because a general lack of things to play (Splatoon is in somewhat of a lull right now given that the latest weapon isn't particularly interesting and splatfest isn't until next weekend), I decided to give takemikazuchi another try. It's still a bit slow for my tastes, but I only just found out you can carry a charge while under beast within, which is great in witch trials as you're not interrupted by a screen like in muspelheims. It one shots so much shit, and things it doesn't one shot it leaves stunned for a good five seconds for follow up damage. Currently I've paired it with salamandra, as I wanted something with reliable damage: the lack of wicked weaves isn't important since you want to end with your hammer weaves anyway.

It's still ass against human enemies though. Good luck ever getting a charged hit on Balder with it.

Ezalc

Aw man I loved using the hammer in bayo 2. I'm not that great a player but I also used it in conjunction with salamandra. Nothing like shouting hammer time, hitting things with it, then chainsawing the shit out of them with some righteous kicks. Felt good man.

Regiruler

Whoa, I didn't know that. I have to try that.
You have to be under the process of charging it though, otherwise it turns into a normal dodge offset and just starts uo the next move in the combo

If you dodge out of it too early, it fucks everything up, but you charge to level one then dodge offset, you can continue the charge to level two.

Beast within doesn't let you continue charging but rather lets you hit with whatever charge you were at prior to BW (or at least I think, I need to test a littlr more). This is fine considering you usually want to attack out of BW anyway.

I just accidentally double-clicked on the expiring Club Nintendo promotion, and now I have an extra Wonderful 101 code. Considering that good games are meant to be shared, if anyone wants that code, they can PM me.

Edit: Code claimed!

Nemmy

Playing DMC 4 again. Made me realize how great and wonderful Bayo is.

I really hope future DMCs will take a hint or two from Bayo in many regards.

Playing Vergil in DMC 4 actually made me realize something that I love about Platinum's games that wasn't in DMC 4 originally (but V kinda puts it there). P* makes games that feel good to play even if you aren't that good at them - stringing together even basic combos in Bayo is just so fluid compared to how Dante feels in 4. Granted, I suck playing as him and that's my problem right there - but from my perspective as someone who really enjoys the genre despite not even hoping to actually git gud at it, Bayo is always enjoyable whereas DMC 4 sometimes feels awkward. Like it was designed for those actually skilled and just doesn't flow all that well if you don't know all the cancels and can't style switch a couple times a second.

I don't know if what I wrote makes any sense whatsoever, I just wanted to share my thoughts after a really tiring day I guess :p And I really like both franchises (even if DMC1 will forever stay as THE true DMC game in my heart), it's just that Bayo doesn't make me feel as... inadequate :p

I really hope future DMCs will take a hint or two from Bayo in many regards.

Playing Vergil in DMC 4 actually made me realize something that I love about Platinum's games that wasn't in DMC 4 originally (but V kinda puts it there). P* makes games that feel good to play even if you aren't that good at them - stringing together even basic combos in Bayo is just so fluid compared to how Dante feels in 4. Granted, I suck playing as him and that's my problem right there - but from my perspective as someone who really enjoys the genre despite not even hoping to actually git gud at it, Bayo is always enjoyable whereas DMC 4 sometimes feels awkward. Like it was designed for those actually skilled and just doesn't flow all that well if you don't know all the cancels and can't style switch a couple times a second.

I don't know if what I wrote makes any sense whatsoever, I just wanted to share my thoughts after a really tiring day I guess :p And I really like both franchises (even if DMC1 will forever stay as the true DMC game in my heart), it's just that Bayo doesn't make me feel as... inadequate :p

Your words make sense, because its true. DMC3/4 have a lot of depth, even more so than Bayonetta 1/2, if you look for. But the game never really requires much of that even for S-ranking DMD, and its harder to get that top level than you do in Bayonetta.

Bayonetta has all of Dante's styles available to her at all times, she has big screen-covering finishers, she has an invincible dodge at the tap of a button that when timed correctly slows all the enemies down, she has a much more modern camera system, much more air control and momentum in her movements, can cancel out of practically any move at will, etc. It comes out of that world of DMC3 with an emphasis on stylish over the top action, but due to various modernizations and design decisions, makes it more readily accessible.

Golnei

I don't think future DMC games should simplify themselves to Bayonetta's level overall - DMC4 Dante's incredibly high skill ceiling is something that should be maintained, even if updates to increase accessibility through something like a more streamlined control scheme would be welcome; or the inclusion of more beginner-friendly characters like Nero in the original 4 or Vergil and Trish in SE. There's a lot the series could take from Bayonetta in terms of art direction, enemy design and sound direction, as well as some abilities and larger structural elements; but it has its own pace and character which shouldn't be compromised - notably, a few of the areas which DMC5 would benefit from taking influence from Bayonetta are also those which can be observed to some extent in DMC1.

Labolas

Oh I'm sure at a high level DMC 4 is fun as Bayo in terms doing combos and such but the game, as is at a basic level, not so much. Backtracking and puzzles are the reason why I dropped the game in the first place. Some bosses are pretty boring in terms of their gameplay and design. And the camera can be stuck in some awful positions. Something about Bayo just click with me. I never felt frustrated at Bayo as do with DMC4. I would rather do any of the alfheims in Bayo than do some of the puzzles in that game.

I do think Capcom should take a page from Platinum's way of doing action games.

Golnei

It's undeniable that DMC4's campaign is incredibly poorly structured, but I don't think that means the core gameplay needs to be gutted in order to produce something accessible and easily enjoyable. If the next game continued adding onto 4's systems - with some concessions to ease of use, as in SE - but managed to avoid all of the padding and filler that plagued 4; (recycled levels and bosses, laser rooms, gyro blades, board games, platforming sections, three Lost Woods sections, escape sequences, etc.) it'd already be a much less uneven experience.

Playing with the fixed camera and frequently messing up the direction for dodges in DMC4 makes me appreciate the camera from Bayonetta so much more.

But I think if they ever make another Bayonetta, Jeanne's moveset needs to be radically changed. She needs to be the Vergil to Bayo's Dante. Pls give Bayo 3.
BibleThump.png

Golnei

But I think if they ever make another Bayonetta, Jeanne's moveset needs to be radically changed. She needs to be the Vergil to Bayo's Dante. Pls give Bayo 3.
BibleThump.png

I'd love the cast to be differentiated further from each other; but it might never happen, since the only reason why Rosa and Jeanne were playable in the first place was that they shared Bayonetta's skeleton and animations; like Sparda in DMC1 or Shiranui in Okami. Though considering how All 4 One / Scarborough Fair and Shuraba / Angel Slayer returned in Bayonetta 2, it might be interesting if Jeanne was identical to her incarnation in the first Bayonetta for the hypothetical next game; and Rosa took up the weapons from Bayonetta 2. It'd undoubtedly be much more work than having them function as glorified costumes for that game's Bayonetta, but surely the existing assets could be repurposed to some extent.

Regiruler

Let us not forget the slow as fuck DMC4 movement speed, even under dash. Going between spaced out enemies shouldn't be such a chore.

Nemmy

Overall I think Bayonetta nails feeling accessible to beginners while keeping a high skill ceiling and a lot of depth (much more so than DmC for instance, though I don't know about DmC DE) - even if in the end DMC4 Dante is more complex and deeper than Bayo.
I don't think DMC games should give up on that complexity, but taking a hint or two from Bayo would be nice, both in gameplay (though I think Vergil's high accessibility is a sign that Capcom is aware of that already) and in more general design - turn Secret Missions into Alfheim-like combat challenges, for example.

Let us not forget the slow as fuck DMC4 movement speed, even under dash. Going between spaced out enemies shouldn't be such a chore.

Vergil's teleports to the rescue!
(seriously, after playing through DMC4 as Vergil I can't see myself going back to Nero/Dante ever again...)

Regiruler

(seriously, after playing through DMC4 as Vergil I can't see myself going back to Nero/Dante ever again...)
But vergil doesn't have Lucifer/Pandora awesomeness

Or at least I wouldn't think he does. I haven't gotten the SE as I haven't fully explored vanilla on PC.

Labolas

Overall I think Bayonetta nails feeling accessible to beginners while keeping a high skill ceiling and a lot of depth (much more so than DmC for instance, though I don't know about DmC DE) - even if in the end DMC4 Dante is more complex and deeper than Bayo.
I don't think DMC games should give up on that complexity, but taking a hint or two from Bayo would be nice, both in gameplay (though I think Vergil's high accessibility is a sign that Capcom is aware of that already) and in more general design - turn Secret Missions into Alfheim-like combat challenges, for example.

Yeah definitely Bayo is wayyy more accessible.

Also I have to try to Vergil after I thru with the story.

Vergil in 4SE is the most fun action game character of all time simple because of his extreme speed. I love that he has a free teleport across the map.

And I agree about the secret missions. They are just pointless. Let me do crazy Bayo combat challenges in a good, wide open space.

Nemmy

Vergil in 4SE is the most fun action game character of all time simple because of his extreme speed. I love that he has a free teleport across the map.

And I agree about the secret missions. They are just pointless. Let me do crazy Bayo combat challenges in a good, wide open space.

Yep, he's absolutely crazy, especially on Turbo mode.

Actually I might be misremembering, but I think DMC3's Secret Missions were mostly pretty solid. Then DMC4 turned them into shitty platforming on a timer. I won't lie, I usually cheese them all the way and don't even feel bad about it.
And Bayo's Alfheims are great in how they actually make you a better player. You can get through most of the game utilizing maaaybe 20% of what's there, but if you want to do Alfheims you need to actually learn how to stay in the air, maximise damage dealt in few hits etc.

Regiruler

Yep, he's absolutely crazy, especially on Turbo mode.

Actually I might be misremembering, but I think DMC3's Secret Missions were mostly pretty solid. Then DMC4 turned them into shitty platforming on a timer. I won't lie, I usually cheese them all the way and don't even feel bad about it.
And Bayo's Alfheims are great in how they actually make you a better player. You can get through most of the game utilizing maaaybe 20% of what's there, but if you want to do Alfheims you need to actually learn how to stay in the air, maximise damage dealt in few hits etc.
Some of those alfeims are a bit too brutal, tbh. They didn't need to be nerfed as badly as they were to muspelheims in 2 (part of the reason bayo 2 is overall easier than 1), but some kept throwing shit at you and didn't seem to know when to stop. There was a torture attack one I remember being hell incarnate on hard.

Kahkoo-Rehah in general are near the difficulty of an alfiem, if a tad easier (although mechanically W101 is harder due to your dodge and block being tied to your energy bar), but death counts there through what I've always assumed to be an oversight or coding error, so they tend to tank your rank.

Labolas

Some of those alfeims are a bit too brutal, tbh. They didn't need to be nerfed as badly as they were to muspelheims in 2 (part of the reason bayo 2 is overall easier than 1), but some kept throwing shit at you and didn't seem to know when to stop. There was a torture attack one I remember being hell incarnate on hard.

Kahkoo-Rehah in general are near the difficulty of an alfiem, if a tad easier (although mechanically W101 is harder due to your dodge and block being tied to your energy bar), but death counts there through what I've always assumed to be an oversight or coding error, so they tend to tank your rank.

Eh, I would rather do the alfheims than the secret missions in DMC4. The alfheims at least makes you a better player like Nemmy said.

Top Bottom