• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 All Access on 11/14 - 11pm EST on Spike + Live Stream

Yeah that was a significant letdown. I thought we were going to see a new game that we didn't see coming. We all knew about The Last of Us DLC and the same goes for Uncharted 4. Then on top of that the two teasers were nothing special at all.

I am not a Metal Gear fan at all so for those of you that are was Kojima's surprise announcement a big deal?

Pimpwerx

Pimp, it was a launch countdown event. Really, what did you expect? E3?

People take the weirdest approaches to these things. Alot of self-imposed, unjustified hype and massive disappointment when said hype oesn't measure up to the event. Kinda juvenille to be honest

We were talking about it on irc during the event. This goes for all the trade shows. This is an event meant to hype the general public, otherwise they wouldn't buy airtime on tv. This did nothing to hype. I assume most people tuned in to see what the games would look like, but instead we get some dorks in line and some dorks discussing their wares.

The industry just doesn't know how to hook the public. This was a very poor presentation. I'm not even someone who's drooling at the mouth for a system. I'm content waiting until Spring. I'm just giving my opinion as someone who hasn't played a console game in a few years now, and has interest in eventually getting a PS4. I wasn't wowed at all. It was a ton of commercials, and what was shown of the games didn't even do as good a job as the collection of early, spotty YT clips we've seen over the months. They had a full hour to play with, but filled it with pure filler.

Compare this to large product rollouts for other, more-mature markets. I used the auto industry as one. If you've ever been to a car show, you know they pretty much get down to it. You get to see the car. If you're forced to listen to blabbering, it's a pretty spokesmodel who's at least easy on the eyes. You get to walk around and touch and play with the car. You get your fill. This is akin to that, except you're not seeing much of anything except some dudes talking.

You think Apple would waste an hour of airtime with a bunch of dorks sitting around talking about their apps rather than showing their apps? Apple does more to showcase their product in action in a 60 second ad than Sony managed to in a 60 minute infomercial. I regretted every minute of watching it live, when I had it recording the whole time. I could have fast-forwarded through the entire thing in 10 minutes and spared myself the nuisance of Geoff and his sidekicks spewing canned drivel.

The reveals, surprises and news were non-existent as well. Any game footage was far too brief to stir my interest. Fortunately for me, I'd seen most of this stuff before. I can't imagine how confused or put-off some newcomer might be if they didn't stumble upon any footage online over the last year. I'm pretty casual these days, but I'm still really informed compared to the general public. PEACE.

satam55

Banned
I'm convinced now cocky Sony is back. 1 million preorders now they can sit back & relax. God if M$ didn't screw the pooch so fuckin bad I wonder how things would look

what.png

Stampy

I didn't watch the stream, but what I gathered is that were no new games announces. So Keighley straight out lied? It's so unprofessional it's not even fun.

We need a gif of Joey doing the Banderas with Shu watching and then doing the Banderas, and then Banderas doing the Banderas to that. Banderaception.

Shugeras?

B.O.O.M

I didn't watch the stream, but what I gathered is that were no new games announces. So Keighley straight out lied? It's so unprofessional it's not even fun.

they announced a new Uncharted. So no he didn't. it was a very brief teaser tho with hidden clues

OT: I guess I must be one of the few who had realistic expectations for the event because it went exactly how I expected and hoped for. VGA's will bring more :)

I'm sorry I didn't rehearse that Banderas thing a million times in the mirror. A terrible approximate is better than nothing though, right?

...Nah maybe nothing would have been better. At least I didn't pull a Razor Ramon HG and go PLAYSTATION FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!

Hey guys, back home safe, might make a thread about this past week, heck it might be up on Saturday if I'm fired tomorrow!! Lots of recollections n stuff to do.

Barzul

Kinda underwhelming. There was always going to be another Uncharted, that's like MS announcing a new Halo. Pretty much given.

Seda

I'm sorry I didn't rehearse that Banderas thing a million times in the mirror. A terrible approximate is better than nothing though, right?

...Nah maybe nothing would have been better. At least I didn't pull a Razor Ramon HG and go PLAYSTATION FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!

Hey guys, back home safe, might make a thread about this past week, heck it might be up on Saturday if I'm fired tomorrow!! Lots of recollections n stuff to do.

Shu messed up in similar fashion though, so that's something.

I hope you're not actually fired.

Jin

Congrats on being the first. Did Jack Tretton and Andrew House had anything interesting to say?

Mr. RHC

uujScOM.gif

Shinogu, you are a legend now!

rdrr gnr

Nah. I got a good laugh out of it.

I'm not accepting this. They hyped this as more than just a launch thing. "Learn about the games Sony has for 2014 and beyond". "Will there be unannounced PS4 games?" "Yes."

Like, literally the ONLY way you could've come away not disappointed was if: A.) You're playing Killzone and Knack and some indie titles and just don't give a fuck what's coming up next, or B.) You were being unreasonably pessimistic given the information that was on hand. Which, you seem to have been so congrats.

Only thing that hinted to the contrary was Shu's tweets, which everyone thought to be trolling but apparently Shu was just being straight up with us. Note to self: Trust Shu over everyone from now on.

Umm how many times has Geoff hyped up his GTTV events this year with "world premiers" and it turns out to be some insignificant trailer?

Like really what the fuck are you ranting, bitching and moaning about? Im not disappointed because I knew that this wasn't gonna be anything more than the launch countdown plus a few new trailers. Thats what I got. Even a suprise from ND with a UC teaser.

For the couple years I've been here, I've seen Gaf overhype literally every major event, whip themselves into a forum stopping frenzy and crash later under the weight of their self imposed dissapointment. Its freaking ad nauseam. So forgive me if I don't offer my pity and laugh instead...

Reading this post kinda clears things up. You didn't really look at this thread, you just kinda heard there'd be a launch event thing-y and sat down in front of Spike. You had no preconceived notions because none were offered to you in the first place. Fair enough.

But understand there's a difference between people who were expecting a list of games as long as your arm, and someone who assumed there'd be a handful of announcements that probably weren't for him but would be entertaining to watch nonetheless.
Dude it takes like 30 seconds to find out if I've posted in this thread before, I seen all the tweets you all were over-hyping.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Glad to hear you back home safe man, I chuckled at that banderas attempt. Enjoy your system after you get some sleep lol.

fade_

We all got what you were trying to do so the effect was still there! Go play your PS4!

Carl

Good work Joey, you were the best part of that show.

Shadow780

Shoutout to Shinogu, you crazy man. I'm done this is my last official launch event, I'm too old for this shit (and cold).

At least I got to stay in door where they had the Spike TV thing because I don't think I can take another hour standing outside.

You are my hero

Mumford

You did fine, man. It was cool for you to do that in the first place.

Even after the anti-climactic show you come to realize the PS4 has launched, the old hardware has finally been replaced and we're all glad that's happened.

we have new games to play all weekend on a brand new console. im hyped for that

We were talking about it on irc during the event. This goes for all the trade shows. This is an event meant to hype the general public, otherwise they wouldn't buy airtime on tv. This did nothing to hype. I assume most people tuned in to see what the games would look like, but instead we get some dorks in line and some dorks discussing their wares.

The industry just doesn't know how to hook the public. This was a very poor presentation. I'm not even someone who's drooling at the mouth for a system. I'm content waiting until Spring. I'm just giving my opinion as someone who hasn't played a console game in a few years now, and has interest in eventually getting a PS4. I wasn't wowed at all. It was a ton of commercials, and what was shown of the games didn't even do as good a job as the collection of early, spotty YT clips we've seen over the months. They had a full hour to play with, but filled it with pure filler.

Compare this to large product rollouts for other, more-mature markets. I used the auto industry as one. If you've ever been to a car show, you know they pretty much get down to it. You get to see the car. If you're forced to listen to blabbering, it's a pretty spokesmodel who's at least easy on the eyes. You get to walk around and touch and play with the car. You get your fill. This is akin to that, except you're not seeing much of anything except some dudes talking.

You think Apple would waste an hour of airtime with a bunch of dorks sitting around talking about their apps rather than showing their apps? Apple does more to showcase their product in action in a 60 second ad than Sony managed to in a 60 minute infomercial. I regretted every minute of watching it live, when I had it recording the whole time. I could have fast-forwarded through the entire thing in 10 minutes and spared myself the nuisance of Geoff and his sidekicks spewing canned drivel.

The reveals, surprises and news were non-existent as well. Any game footage was far too brief to stir my interest. Fortunately for me, I'd seen most of this stuff before. I can't imagine how confused or put-off some newcomer might be if they didn't stumble upon any footage online over the last year. I'm pretty casual these days, but I'm still really informed compared to the general public. PEACE.

Its not really a tradeshow, though. It was a countdown. Sony has been trying to convince people to buy PS4s since Feb, that time is mostly over this year. This is the culmination of that previous hype. Its not some new phenomena, theyve bought air time for PS3 too and didn't show one new thing. As have MS with their first two machines.

Its becoming more abundantly clear who is following a console launch for the first time. This is par for the course for console launches.

You legend.

Pimpwerx

Its not really a tradeshow, though. It was a countdown. Sony has been trying to convince people to buy PS4s since Feb, that time is mostly over this year. This is the culmination of that previous hype. Its not some new phenomena, theyve bought air time for PS3 too and didn't show one new thing. As have MS with their first two machines.

Its becoming more abundantly clear who is following a console launch for the first time. This is par for the course for console launches.

Never had a countdown show before, afaik. And I've been in gaming since the 2600. The point is, you don't buy an hour of airtime to show a clock and some goof with microphones. You do it to pitch your product. I don't know how you can say this was a good use of time, or even remotely successful when most of the comments during the show was about how big of a waste it was, and how little was being shown.

No one expected a tradeshow, since this is a more-public event than a tradeshow. This isn't just an issue with Sony, mind you. This is how the game industry seems to get down in general. There are better uses of an hour of paid airtime when your product is literally visual media. If they weren't trying to pitch their product, they wouldn't have saturated the airtime with ads. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say there was twice as many ads as game footage. PEACE.

Spinluck

Dude I said to my friend that the first guy was probably a gaffer.

I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS ACTUALLY RIGHT!! Congrats man, hope you enjoy lol.

Vee_One

Dude you were great. Enjoy your PS4 and official world first. Haters gonna hate

Cody_D165

Banned

ShinoguTakeruKoeru
Professional Banderas Impersonator
(Today, 01:37 AM)

Nah man, I'm glad you did it. The Bandaras pose was the perfect way to start off the PS4's lifetime... even if it wasn't 100% correct. Lol. It was also the best part of the entire show. I burst out laughing, confusing the heck out of the friend I was talking to at the time.

I hope your job is alright! Enjoy the PS4.

i7mFcgj8v9Www.gif

Never had a countdown show before, afaik. And I've been in gaming since the 2600. The point is, you don't buy an hour of airtime to show a clock and some goof with microphones. You do it to pitch your product. I don't know how you can say this was a good use of time, or even remotely successful when most of the comments during the show was about how big of a waste it was, and how little was being shown.

No one expected a tradeshow, since this is a more-public event than a tradeshow. This isn't just an issue with Sony, mind you. This is how the game industry seems to get down in general. There are better uses of an hour of paid airtime when your product is literally visual media. If they weren't trying to pitch their product, they wouldn't have saturated the airtime with ads. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say there was twice as many ads as game footage. PEACE.

Au contraire

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ll-to-wall-multi-media-coverage-56325477.html

www.destructoid.com/take-a-ps3-launch-party-tour-27935.phtml‎

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...60---with-countdown-to-xbox-360-55525297.html

I can't provide much better links due to the Bluecoat but yeah, its common. There has always been some televised coverage where some exec hands away the "first console". And I wasn't necessarily pointing at you with the first time comment.

3060000000053480.GIF

Kaz+Hirai+Sony+PlayStation+3+Launch+Party+4r6KyDTn52Jl.jpg

. Only difference now is that Spike is the defacto cable network for gaming press these days.

You may not feel these types of launch events but they've happened before and have been successful. So companies do them. Its not the huge deal you're making it, again, its par for the course. Its the launch of their multi-million dollar venture, of course the make it a big deal..

Raist

Banned
So... is the OP up to date? That's it? Man, I thought it'd be a bit more than that. Well VGA's around the corner I guess.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Where on earth is your tag?

Top Bottom