• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

Fine, fine.
Xbox font it is then.

bingolhlqs.jpg

"Sony is not taking risks"

Someone actually said that? LMAO

Kickz

As a ps4 gamer, why should I give a shit if a game that has stable performance on ps4 runs better on pc?
And there have been tons of games that are not remasters and multiplats that play well enough on the console since launch.

Hey I am speaking from a perspective of a person who owns all platforms. I play multi plats using my PS4 controller on PC where I can dial up performance to my pleasure. All I am saying is I want to see more unique IPs. Looking forward to the likes of FF15, and KH3 along with Uncharted 4; unique titles I can't get anywhere else.

Dude, your shit is incredibly annoying. Stop.

At this point the PS4 has nearly 3 times the exclusive content the Xbox one has.

There are more first party titles, more 3rd party exclusives and more digital exclusives that launched on the console before PC.

Just because there hasn't been anything thats tickled your fancy does not mean it hasnt got alot of compelling content.

Now if you are comparing the PS4 to the WiiU you may have a arguement, but X1 doesn't come off favourable in that comparision either.

This has nothing to do with console war/etc like I said I own every platform

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If we're figuring ~17.5M sold through, I could see MS having another ~2M in the channel coming out of the holiday quarter. Over-shipping has always been a holiday tradition for XBox.

Funny you mention this, as I walked into Best Buy last week to use some rewards on a PS+ card, and there were still two large floor stacks of Xbox Ones, and a small stack of 13 500GB CoD PS4's (the only one they had), the other bundles were sold out (Uncharted/Battlefront). Either they are over shipping, or the stacks have not moved much.

Dragon

Banned
Hey I am speaking from a perspective of a person who owns all platforms. I play multi plats using my PS4 controller on PC where I can dial up performance to my pleasure. All I am saying is I want to see more unique IPs. Looking forward to the likes of FF15, and KH3 along with Uncharted 4; unique titles I can't get anywhere else.

Of the examples you gave, two are going to be on XB1 and eventually the PC. It sounds like you don't know what you want, but all of them are not new IP. Just seems a strange line to put in the sand.

I mean at some point retailers are running out of storage space :p
lol Well, sure, but 2M units isn't really all that many to have stored around the world; warehouse space is probably comparatively cheap in T3, I'd imagine. Then again, 2M units could be more than they'll sell for all of Q1CY16, so maybe that is a bit high. /shrug

Funny you mention this, as I walked into Best Buy last week to use some rewards on a PS+ card, and there were still two large floor stacks of Xbox Ones, and a small stack of 13 500GB CoD PS4's (the only one they had), the other bundles were sold out (Uncharted/Battlefront). Either they are over shipping, or the stacks have not moved much.
Tomato; tomato? :p

But yeah, while demand may simply be less than predicted, MS seem to have a history of substantially out-shipping whatever their actual demand for Q4 turns out to be, but as Raist says, retail will eventually tire of that strategy. Regardless, it's probably just easier for us to try to extrapolate their sell-through from NPD, and just assume their shipments are "more than that."

Raist

Banned
Tomato; tomato? :p

But yeah, while demand may simply be less than predicted, MS seem to have a history of substantially out-shipping whatever their actual demand for Q4 turns out to be, but as Raist says, retail will eventually tire of that strategy. Regardless, it's probably just easier for us to try to extrapolate their sell-through from NPD, and just assume their shipments are "more than that."

Even if you imagine that their US sell-through is 11.5 at the end of 2015 (which it very likely won't) and a 60/40 ratio of US vs RotW (which it likely isn't) that'd put WW sales through 2015 at ~19M.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190537970&postcount=7147

Someone else in that thread also made the same sort of argument, but specifically for localizations IIRC. It was entertaining.
Plus for a while there was the whole "Sony isn't pushing innovation likw MS" etc.
I think shu and wws are competent and workmanlike. They make and fund decent aaa games with reasonable budgets that stick to well trod focus grouped paths. In short, they are a corporation making mass market products. Idk why anyone would expect anything more from them.
I started reading this paragraph thinking, "Well, a bit back-handed, but I okay…" and then it immediately went completely off the rails after that.

Sony's first-party are designed for mass market appeal? Da fuq? I thought Sony's first-party was all, "HAHAHAHA! Sure, it's cool, but who the fuck would buy that??" =/

Even if you imagine that their US sell-through is 11.5 at the end of 2015 (which it very likely won't) and a 60/40 ratio of US vs RotW (which it likely isn't) that'd put WW sales through 2015 at ~19M.
Yeah, we'll have a better idea once we get NPD results. Welfare came up with 11M US assuming like 1250K in December, which seemed like a reasonable enough guess so that's what I've been using for now, but who knows, maybe they will move 1.8M here. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Regardless though, 60% US seems pretty generous. It was 61% US coming out of the launch quarter, and based on the numbers we're able to see, it doesn't seem like not-US has really been keeping pace — especially of late — so US is probably up in the 63-65% range by now, I'd guess.

Edit: Does not-US get the huge holiday discounts too? I'm wondering if those discounts increase US focus even further coming out of Q4.

Raist

Banned
Yeah, we'll have a better idea once we get NPD results. Welfare came up with 11M US assuming like 1250K in December, which seemed like a reasonable enough guess so that's what I've been using for now, but who knows, maybe they will move 1.8M here. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Regardless though, 60% US seems pretty generous. It was 61% US coming out of the launch quarter, and based on the numbers we're able to see, it doesn't seem like not-US has really been keeping pace — especially of late — so US is probably up in the 63-65% range by now, I'd guess.

I think around 11.2M in the US. And US+UK is probably 80% at least.

I think around 11.2M in the US. And US+UK is probably 80% at least.
Yeah, we're even less sure what UK is at though. "17.5M, give or take" seems close enough until we get the December NPD though. That'd give the US 64% with 11.2M, for example. Once we get Dec NPD, we can work up a better guess, based on a range of estimates for US share. (61%=, 63%=, …)

I wonder if zhuge can provide u.s numbers? Back in October he said 9 million
Through November US should be ~9750K. We won't have end-of-year totals for another week or so.

I am reading the thread now and I can't believe people can be serious about this. Opinions I guess...

It's a really strange argument because I think you'd have a hard time finding a studio that funds AAA game and is as willing to take risks as Sony is. Look at The Last Guardian. How many other studios would've kept that in development all this time? No one is really expecting it to sell a ton or anything. But Sony stayed with it and is still funding the game.

onQ123

This has nothing to do with console war/etc like I said I own every platform

Never fails lol

5OZUtL1.png

Javin98

Banned
I'd say the shipment number is at 19.5 million and sold through is at 18 million by the end of 2015. Assuming the XB1 sold 1.3 million in the US in December, that would bring the US LTD to ~11.05 million. 11.05 is around 61% of 18 million, so the US:WW ratio seems very possible.

It's a really strange argument because I think you'd have a hard time finding a studio that funds AAA game and is as willing to take risks as Sony is. Look at The Last Guardian. How many other studios would've kept that in development all this time? No one is really expecting it to sell a ton or anything. But Sony stayed with it and is still funding the game.

I agree completely. And besides TLG we can see they giving liberty to MM to develop a game like "Dreams" for example. Sony takes a lot of risks.

Let's see.

Dec: ~1.3m

US LTD: ~11m

Xbone max sold: 18.3m (60% US)
Xbone min sold: 15.7m (70% US)

~2m on shelves put Xbone at min 17.7m to max 20.3m shipped.
Well, sure, but that's still quite a range. :p I'd be pretty surprised if US dropped to 60%, but I'd be amazed if it'd grown to 70%. Like I said before, 63% seems fairly reasonable, but it could be as high as 65%.

I'd say the shipment number is at 19.5 million and sold through is at 18 million by the end of 2015. Assuming the XB1 sold 1.3 million in the US in December, that would bring the US LTD to ~11.05 million. 11.05 is around 61% of 18 million, so the US:WW ratio seems very possible.
Based on the non-US reports we've been, why do you think it's likely that not-US has maintained its share relative to the US since the launch quarter? Seems more likely that it's dropped.

Javin98

Banned
Based on the non-US reports we've been, why do you think it's likely that not-US has maintained its share relative to the US since the launch quarter? Seems more likely that it's dropped.
I don't have any evidence for this, it's just my personal predictions. Your prediction of 65% of global sales is also reasonable IMO, but I'm being more generous and giving markets outside the US a slightly higher percentage. However, coming right off the holidays, it is very likely that the share in the US has increased slightly as well as Microsoft focus their best deals in the US during the holidays. So, yes, I'd say the range is 60-67% for the US share of the XB1.

Tagyhag

If there's one console that deserves those sales, it's the PS4.

I wonder if the success of the PS4 will have an impact on the PS5 coming out later. Hell, I wonder if that's something they plan about before systems are even released.

I don't have any evidence for this, it's just my personal predictions. Your prediction of 65% of global sales is also reasonable IMO, but I'm being more generous and giving markets outside the US a slightly higher percentage. However, coming right off the holidays, it is very likely that the share in the US has increased slightly as well as Microsoft focus their best deals in the US during the holidays. So, yes, I'd say the range is 60-67% for the US share of the XB1.
Fair enough. When you said, "very possible," I didn't realize you were giving only the top end of a "generous" estimate. :)

Javin98

Banned
Fair enough. When you said, "very possible," I didn't realize you were giving only the top end of a "generous" estimate. :)
Well, this is what happens when Microsoft refuses to give out the numbers. The best we can do is estimate. But of course, MAU's are way more important than sales. :p

Well, this is what happens when Microsoft refuses to give out the numbers. The best we can do is estimate. But of course, MAU's are way more important than sales. :p
I know Live is getting a bunch of its activity on Windows (Phone and Proper), but out of morbid curiosity, I do wonder how PSN's MAU compares.

I still remember people trying to argue how the Xbone's DRM would change the way AAA games are made and how it was better for the industry overall. Especially without presenting any facts. Plus how Sony was dooming the industry to stagnation thanks to not using DRM. Good times.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I'm one of the millions. It's the only console worth owning.

^^^ crazy numbers. There isn't a console market. There is a PlayStation market that occasionally has guest stars.

I bet there are a few people (maybe even posters right here on Neo Gaf!) who are just chomping to find a link that supports moving the PlayStation 3 above the Xbox 360.
Thats probably the best put together analogy ive seen

statham

I want a bingo slot! I guess anything I say negative about 35 million qualifies?
can it say statham is going to statham? with a gif of statham dancing? plez!

That says PS4 hit 9M. Bone was behind, but I couldn't tell you how far.

Speaking of, some kind soul should hook me up with a spreadsheet of the historical numbers. It'd probably speed things up a bit if I weren't constantly saying, "Wait, what happened?" lol

so what exactly does the extra 53MHz mean for the xbone's GPU? absolutely nothing?
In practice, very little. Back when the 53MHz was Bone's only advantage, the PS4's CPU still got more work done — likely thanks to overhead related to the Bone's multi-OS architecture — but when MS freed up 30%-50% of the seventh core for devs, it pulled slightly ahead. But now Sony have also freed up their seventh core, and allow devs to use 30%-100% of it — depending on who you ask — so it's almost certainly ahead again, and possibly well ahead if PS4 devs really do get the full core.

I don't exactly agree. Minds were definitely blown when Mark Cerny revealed 8GB GDDR5 RAM for the PS4.

Starts around here in the live thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514454&page=83

Announcement thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514465

What I love about this is all the people saying "It's gonna be SO EXPENSIVE!"

And look at that.

Exactly the reason I think all the people spelling doom and gloom for PSVR's price are overly pessimistic and will ultimately be proved wrong. Sony has been playing it incredibly smart the past couple years.

onQ123

not bad, not bad.

yes they were.
so what exactly does the extra 53MHz mean for the xbone's GPU? absolutely nothing?

It means the Xbox One is a little better than it was going to be but it's still far behind the PS4.

Xbox One GPU is 2 x 64 x 12 x 853,000,000 = 1,310,208,000,000 flops

PS4 GPU is 2 x 64 x 18 x 800,000,000 = 1,843,200,000,000 flops

Xbox One GPU would have to be clocked at 1.2Ghz to match PS4 GPU.

It just baffles me that some people even prefer to have a controller with AA batteries.

All other points aside this is just silly. What's there not to understand? Devices with non-removable batteries are a pain if your a power user. Once the battery inside dies/can no longer hold a decent charge your forced into either sending it in to the manufacturer or purchasing a new device entirely. This is one of problems some people raise at the iPhone with every iteration.

I think having removable batteries is one of the few smart ideas Xbox has had with their controller. Its also one of the few complaints, along with the rubber nubs, I have against what is otherwise the best Sony controller yet.

Nintendo Gamecube, Wii U???

Cocaine is a helluva drug? Look even the best of us relapse....

onQ123

All other points aside this is just silly. What's there not to understand? Devices with non-removable batteries are a pain if your a power user. Once the battery inside dies/can no longer hold a decent charge your forced into either sending it in to the manufacturer or purchasing a new device entirely. This is one of problems some people raise at the iPhone with every iteration.

I think having removable batteries is one of the few smart ideas Xbox has had with their controller. Its also one of the few complaints, along with the rubber nubs, I have against what is otherwise the best Sony controller yet.

Cocaine is a helluva drug? Look even the best of us relapse....

But you can change the DS4 battery by simply unscrewing 4 screws & removing the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OIrf5b4NM

Top Bottom