• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

joecanada

All other points aside this is just silly. What's there not to understand? Devices with non-removable batteries are a pain if your a power user. Once the battery inside dies/can no longer hold a decent charge your forced into either sending it in to the manufacturer or purchasing a new device entirely. This is one of problems some people raise at the iPhone with every iteration.

I think having removable batteries is one of the few smart ideas Xbox has had with their controller. Its also one of the few complaints, along with the rubber nubs, I have against what is otherwise the best Sony controller yet.

Cocaine is a helluva drug? Look even the best of us relapse....

Except sony has no history with this so why bring it up as a possibility. I have 5 ds3 and 2 ds4 and none of them have ever had a single battery problem. And I've never seen widespread evidence of such. Other problems perhaps. Additionally if you do for some reason you could either return it or in fact change the battery. It's not a one piece controller

Welfare

That says PS4 hit 9M. Bone was behind, but I couldn't tell you how far.

Speaking of, some kind soul should hook me up with a spreadsheet of the historical numbers. It'd probably speed things up a bit if I weren't constantly saying, "Wait, what happened?" lol

PM's.

What I love about this is all the people saying "It's gonna be SO EXPENSIVE!"

And look at that.

Exactly the reason I think all the people spelling doom and gloom for PSVR's price are overly pessimistic and will ultimately be proved wrong. Sony has been playing it incredibly smart the past couple years.

Yeah, minds were totally blown as Cerny announced it. That night was crazy.

Hey I am speaking from a perspective of a person who owns all platforms. I play multi plats using my PS4 controller on PC where I can dial up performance to my pleasure. All I am saying is I want to see more unique IPs. Looking forward to the likes of FF15, and KH3 along with Uncharted 4; unique titles I can't get anywhere else.

This has nothing to do with console war/etc like I said I own every platform

Well if you own every platform, you should know the PS4 has a sizable library outside of remasters, ports and multiplats that are also on PC.

It can be argued that SCE content from WWS has been lacking so far, but thats far from "PS4 has no gamez"

I want a bingo slot! I guess anything I say negative about 35 million qualifies?
can it say statham is going to statham? with a gif of statham dancing? plez!

Honestly, you are too predictable. Like a sane version of timdog.

In a game of bingo, you are basically the marker that we tick our boxes off with.

GHG

Drivebys like this should really be penalized in some way. It adds nothing to the conversation.

Dismissing games in that goalpost fashion as not 'real games' really irritates me.

First its indies, then its japanese titles, then its anything that's not western AAA, and now its anything that's not western AAA focused that you can't get on PC in some form.

The funny thing is, when you use that metric (or any of the other ridiculous ones that we frequently hear like a +85 metascore, or only "real 1st party") the other consoles suddenly look like they don't have any games either. It's actually hilarious.

The funny thing is, when you use that metric (or any of the other ridiculous ones that we frequently hear like a +85 metascore, or only "real 1st party") the other consoles suddenly look like they don't have any games either. It's actually hilarious.

I just do understand why people cant just be honest in their criticism.

Its perfectly fine to wonder what the fuck is going on with WWS as only guerilla, sucker punch and evolution have really put anything out worth mentioning. SSM hasnt revealed anything, bend is MIA. Naughty dog is on their third delay, Japan studio hasnt put out a single AAA title on its own for nearly 7 years, polyphony seems more interested in Concept cars than GT and we still dont know whats happened to the remains of studio liverpool.

But that doess not mean the PS4 hasnt had good first party support and does not have some real good exclusives, with plenty annouced and on the horizon.

Nothing wrong with the console. The content is already there. If yoy dont like the content, dont buy in yet or sell yours and invest that money in another platform. Simples.

Raist

Banned
I just do understand why people cant just be honest in their criticism.
Its perfectly fine to wonder what the fuck is going on with WWS as only guerilla, sucker punch and evolution have really put anything out worth mentioning. SSM hasnt revealed anything, bend is MIA. Naughty dog is on their third delay, Japan studio hasnt put out a single AAA title on its own for nearly 7 years, polyphony seems more interested in Concept cars than GT and we still dont know whats happened to the remains of studio liverpool.

ND released TLoU and Lefft Behind just before the PS4 launched. And then did the remaster.
PD released GT6 when the PS4 launched.
Japan Studio has released Rain, Pupeteer and Soul Sacrifice just before the PS4 launch, and since then Knack, worked on TLG, and contributed or si contributing to a lot of games (Bloodborne, Tomorrow's Children, Gravity Rush Remastered and 2). Similar thing with SSM.

I mean you can discuss the value of these games and the validity of some choices, but it's not like they haven't been doing anything in the past 2-3 years either.

polyphony seems more interested in Concept cars than GT and we still dont know whats happened to the remains of studio liverpool.

The concept cars you're talking about are Vision GT cars, they're just a result of a celebration of GT's 15th anniversary. Not some indication that Polpyhony somehow are more interested in concepts than real cars. Just look at the current confirmed car list for Sport. There are currently 11 cars confirmed for it. Eight of them are real cars and only three are VGT's.

GHG

ND released TLoU and Lefft Behind just before the PS4 launched. And then did the remaster.
PD released GT6 when the PS4 launched.
Japan Studio has released Rain, Pupeteer and Soul Sacrifice just before the PS4 launch, and since then Knack, worked on TLG, and contributed or si contributing to a lot of games (Bloodborne, Tomorrow's Children, Gravity Rush Remastered and 2). Similar thing with SSM.

I mean you can discuss the value of these games and the validity of some choices, but it's not like they haven't been doing anything in the past 2-3 years either.

Basically there has been a gradual transition over to the new gen platform from the old gen one. They didn't just abandon the last gen machine years ago in order to get everyone working on the PS4. This is how Sony have always operated. That way people who couldn't afford the PS4 at launch don't end up feeling abandoned with nothing to play.

It's frustrating for us enthusiasts who jump to the latest and greatest platform ASAP but there are millions and millions of people who can't afford to do the same thing or simply don't want to. Hence it makes sense for them to have kept supporting the PS3.

Having said that, I do think GT6 should have been cross-gen or we should have at least got a HD remaster on the PS4 by now. They missed a trick there.

But you can change the DS4 battery by simply unscrewing 4 screws & removing the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OIrf5b4NM

Yeah I know, but that's not something the average consumer is going to want to do.

Except sony has no history with this so why bring it up as a possibility. I have 5 ds3 and 2 ds4 and none of them have ever had a single battery problem. And I've never seen widespread evidence of such. Other problems perhaps. Additionally if you do for some reason you could either return it or in fact change the battery. It's not a one piece controller

No history does not correlate to never gonna happen so why even insinuate something like that unless you have a crystal ball into the future. Having a consumer friendly removable pack wouldn't be some ridiculously hard thing to do. It'd be nice to able to just recharge packs and replace at will when ones empty. its one of those QoL things.

jiggle

Gais
Don't forget all the resources they wasted on the Vitaster
I wonder how tearaway and future bomba gravity Rush wouldve performed had they debuted on ps4

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What I love about this is all the people saying "It's gonna be SO EXPENSIVE!"

And look at that.

Exactly the reason I think all the people spelling doom and gloom for PSVR's price are overly pessimistic and will ultimately be proved wrong. Sony has been playing it incredibly smart the past couple years.

Sony's console division has shockingly low prices every time, both home console and portable. "But PS3..." you say. BD-ROM drives were $350 in bulk then and Sony still shipped some $500 PS3s. Anyone who expected a $400 PS3 was straight up brain damaged.

crinale

Gais
Don't forget all the resources they wasted on the Vitaster
I wonder how tearaway and future bomba gravity Rush wouldve performed had they debuted on ps4

Well without Sony putting some effort to Vita (hardware itself plus making libraries like PhyreEngine support Vita just like PS3/4) Japanese third party games would have never existed at PS4. As for their first party studio inputs I agree with you though.

joecanada

Yeah I know, but that's not something the average consumer is going to want to do.

No history does not correlate to never gonna happen so why even insinuate something like that unless you have a crystal ball into the future. Having a consumer friendly removable pack wouldn't be some ridiculously hard thing to do. It'd be nice to able to just recharge packs and replace at will when ones empty. its one of those QoL things.

Except that they already do the consumer friendly thing that is packing a battery that works into the unit so it's worry free. And you could easily change the battery once in say 10 years if God forbid it ever quit. The built in batteries are smaller and lighter and there's no problems with them. The only complaint ever has been battery life why would they change their whole system. I've never seen someone request this and there's basically no reason to do it
I'm sure some third party controller will be out there if you hate sony ones

<3<3<3

I thought we were talking about power users who will deplete a perfectly good Li+ in a matter of months, not average consumers who will use the controller without issue for years before they finally upgrade their console and throw this controller away without a second thought.

Don't confuse him
Hey, be nice.

Conduit

Banned
Sony's console division has shockingly low prices every time, both home console and portable. "But PS3..." you say. BD-ROM drives were $350 in bulk then and Sony still shipped some $500 PS3s. Anyone who expected a $400 PS3 was straight up brain damaged.

Yep. Sony with PS3 were on two fronts. Very tough competition. And Sony really did it.

Melchiah

All other points aside this is just silly. What's there not to understand? Devices with non-removable batteries are a pain if your a power user. Once the battery inside dies/can no longer hold a decent charge your forced into either sending it in to the manufacturer or purchasing a new device entirely. This is one of problems some people raise at the iPhone with every iteration.

I think having removable batteries is one of the few smart ideas Xbox has had with their controller. Its also one of the few complaints, along with the rubber nubs, I have against what is otherwise the best Sony controller yet.

I have had that happen only once with the early PS3 controllers, and I'd say I'm a power user.

If the charge depletes during a gaming session, I just use another controller, or plug the thing into a wall with the phone charge cable, and continue playing. That hasn't happened since I bought a new controller over a year ago.

Almost 36 million sold and the only major complaint has been the controller. The controller can always be revised and improved on in the future.

Sony did well.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I want a bingo slot! I guess anything I say negative about 35 million qualifies?
can it say statham is going to statham? with a gif of statham dancing? plez!

You want the PS4 to be successful, so you don't qualify. If the PS4 starts to dip that means the XBO is dipping too. If there is no market for a PS4 there is no market for the XBO follow-up you want. There's nothing in it for you if the PS4 fails. You know this. So, you want it to be successful. Even though you might want to pretend otherwise for the sake of banter.

GHG

You want the PS4 to be successful, so you don't qualify. If the PS4 starts to dip that means the XBO is dipping too. If there is no market for a PS4 there is no market for the XBO follow-up you want. There's nothing in it for you if the PS4 fails. You know this. So, you want it to be successful. Even though you might want to pretend otherwise for the sake of banter.

Also if the ps4 has "no gamez" then it means the Xbox One has "no gamez".

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Also if the ps4 has "no gamez" then it means the Xbox One has "no gamez".

It really does. 90% of all games going forward will be available on all platforms. The few that has some kind of exclusivity attached to them will have logical reasons for being exclusive. If you look at the dozen or so exclusives on either side that matter to these "discussions" it's really petty. Most of us buy 10, 20 or even 50 games per year and when less than 10% are really exclusive and the rest are available on every platform out there it's hard to make a case for "no gaemz" on either side. But this discussion isn't about facts it's about emotions. The feeling of games. And I for one don't want to be felt up by games.

Marlenus

so what exactly does the extra 53MHz mean for the xbone's GPU? absolutely nothing?

~7% higher triangle setup rate, which was already more than the rest of the gpu could handle at 800mhz when the 7970/280x also had a 2 tri/clock setup rate and were not bottlenecked by it.

Aside from that it means the PS4 only has a 40% compute and texture fill advantage instead of the 50% it would have had and an 88% pixel fillrate advantage instead of 100%. Although pixel fill is very bandwidth sensitive so lots of variance between paper numbers and real world numbers.

No history does not correlate to never gonna happen so why even insinuate something like that unless you have a crystal ball into the future.

You can't make this argument, pretty much ever.

"WiiU's might spontaneously combust on their 5th anniversary!"
"What? There's no history of anything like that"
"But No history does not correlate to never gonna happen"

It really does. 90% of all games going forward will be available on all platforms. The few that has some kind of exclusivity attached to them will have logical reasons for being exclusive. If you look at the dozen or so exclusives on either side that matter to these "discussions" it's really petty. Most of us buy 10, 20 or even 50 games per year and when less than 10% are really exclusive and the rest are available on every platform out there it's hard to make a case for "no gaemz" on either side. But this discussion isn't about facts it's about emotions. The feeling of games. And I for one don't want to be felt up by games.

"First on" has replaced "Only on" when it comes to third party developers. Exclusive third party games will be a rare commodity, though they will exist in small numbers.

Tigress

And anyone who thinks the market is going to go for a 600 dollar console doesn't know a thing about markets and how they tend to put a max value on something no matter what technology you put in it. People are not going to see a console as worth 600 dollars (or even 500) no matter how valuable the tech inside it is. And before you argue, history has already shown me right ;) (that PS3 didn't go over so well because of price. Also if argue the vita's biggest failure was trying to sell a handheld for more than 200 dollars).

The lesson here is know what price the market will pay for the device you are creating and don't make it so expensive to make you cant price it under that. That means leaving out high end tech if it makes it too pricey.

Kickz

Of the examples you gave, two are going to be on XB1 and eventually the PC. It sounds like you don't know what you want, but all of them are not new IP. Just seems a strange line to put in the sand.
Well if you own every platform, you should know the PS4 has a sizable library outside of remasters, ports and multiplats that are also on PC.

It can be argued that SCE content from WWS has been lacking so far, but thats far from "PS4 has no gamez"

I was not aware 2 out of those 3 were coming on PC.. Well that just adds to multiplats that I will play on my PC. As for new IP I guess I should add new entries in exclusive IPs each consoles own. Good examples; Sunset OverDrive for Xbox, and Infamous and Bloodborne on the PS4, also Splatoon on WiiU. New games available only on respective consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The average consumer does not care one way or another if they have to plug the controller in to charge vs. a pack they still have to charge. Since the average consumer is not a power user like most of us on an approval process gaming forum.

They are not putting in 6-8 hour gaming seasons. They never see the power threshold of a slight inconvenience.

My non power user friends, the average consumer, who are used to being slaves to the smart phone charging cables, always have their controllers plugged in when done with their 2 hour average gaming session, max. Then they are back on their phones with a TV show in the background running.

Then here I am on my S6 active, not worried about the non removable battery, and 40 hours later of constant use, active wallpapers, and all, with 37% battery life left, knowing I didn't want to be a slave to the charger any longer like I used to be with 6 years of iPhones, but they still are because they wanted a "fancier" or larger tablet sized phone.

Meaning it only effects us power users having to plug in after 6 hours. Which reminds me, I am going to do the $12 battery swap that practically doubles the controller life before charging.

joecanada

The average consumer does not care one way or another if they have to plug the controller in to charge vs. a pack they still have to charge. Since the average consumer is not a power user like most of us on an approval process gaming forum.

They are not putting in 6-8 hour gaming seasons. They never see the power threshold of a slight inconvenience.

My non power user friends, the average consumer, who are used to being slaves to the smart phone charging cables, always have their controllers plugged in when done with their 2 hour average gaming session, max. Then they are back on their phones with a TV show in the background running.

Then here I am on my S6 active, not worried about the non removable battery, and 40 hours later of constant use, active wallpapers, and all, with 37% battery life left, knowing I didn't want to be a slave to the charger any longer like I used to be with 6 years of iPhones, but they still are because they wanted a "fancier" or larger tablet sized phone.

Meaning it only effects us power users having to plug in after 6 hours. Which reminds me, I am going to do the $12 battery swap that practically doubles the controller life before charging.

exactly and if you are truly that much of a user I can't understand at all why you wouldn't have at least two controllers. I had 5 ds3, for friends, switching, etc.... I only have two ds4 but this is bare minimum no matter the system. I had this for 360 too because sometimes I would just forget to charge my rechargables, same deal.

That says PS4 hit 9M. Bone was behind, but I couldn't tell you how far.

Speaking of, some kind soul should hook me up with a spreadsheet of the historical numbers. It'd probably speed things up a bit if I weren't constantly saying, "Wait, what happened?" lol
I was asking about Ps4 sales, that's why I brought up zhuge. And speaking up zhuge, hit him up for that graph of yours. Maybe tweet.

In practice, very little. Back when the 53MHz was Bone's only advantage, the PS4's CPU still got more work done — likely thanks to overhead related to the Bone's multi-OS architecture — but when MS freed up 30%-50% of the seventh core for devs, it pulled slightly ahead. But now Sony have also freed up their seventh core, and allow devs to use 30%-100% of it — depending on who you ask — so it's almost certainly ahead again, and possibly well ahead if PS4 devs really do get the full core.
Interesting. I'll admit though I'm still not sure what you mean by xbone's overhead and multi-os architecture. Either way though perhaps it would be foolish to just say xbone has any difference making hardware advantages now.
It means the Xbox One is a little better than it was going to be but it's still far behind the PS4.

Xbox One GPU is 2 x 64 x 12 x 853,000,000 = 1,310,208,000,000 flops

PS4 GPU is 2 x 64 x 18 x 800,000,000 = 1,843,200,000,000 flops

Xbox One GPU would have to be clocked at 1.2Ghz to match PS4 GPU.
So about a 5 t flop difference, damn. And this should precisely be the reason why Ps4 has generally been regarded as having better graphics ; certain things I do not understand though is that by how much? Is it closer than I think? Forza 6 is a pretty damn good looking game and so is driveclub, but it's at half the framerate. How much reasonably better would driveclub have looked than forza if it had been 60fps or vice versa; how close would forza have been to driveclub if it were 30?
We were talking about XB1 sales...
Who is "we"? i was asking about Ps4 na numbers.
XB1 was < 8.5m in October.
Which makes it, I guess, relatively close to Ps4. But that's what I was asking about at the time, the Ps4's sales. It reached 9 million in October and likely sold 2 million within the next two following months should be over 10 now I think.
~7% higher triangle setup rate, which was already more than the rest of the gpu could handle at 800mhz when the 7970/280x also had a 2 tri/clock setup rate and were not bottlenecked by it.

Aside from that it means the PS4 only has a 40% compute and texture fill advantage instead of the 50% it would have had and an 88% pixel fillrate advantage instead of 100%. Although pixel fill is very bandwidth sensitive so lots of variance between paper numbers and real world numbers.
I'm sorry I can't tell, in the first sentence are you talking about Ps4 or xbone gpu? If Ps4 are you saying that its gpu is overclocking/overdoing itself to output better graphics?

In the second sentence, again I'm asking because I cannot tell for sure, are you saying Ps4's gpu has a shorter advantage because of the lower MHz?

I've heard varying answers from different sources. Like here on GAF I've been told that Ps4's gpu and ram are in just another league than xbone's and other times I hear that te difference in power, just isn't really much of a difference.
Almost 36 million sold and the only major complaint has been the controller. The controller can always be revised and improved on in the future.

Sony did well.
I think Psn still sucking is a major complaint too.

Raylan

Banned
35.9 million they say? Pfffffff.....

QZMFrFS.png

Where is the proof?

j/k

Top Bottom