• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

Who needs games when you have system updates!

Man, i really hope the PS5 has a lot of system updates. I don't care if it comes with Last Guardian 2, Shenmue 4, Crash Bandicoot or Street Fighter 6 as launch titles. No system updates, no buy.

/s

On a serious note, i think Sony deserves the sales big time ! The system is simply amazing and people are eating it. The controller is great (quality of materials could be better though), UI is fast, simple and effective, social features are awesome, games are already great and the best is yet to come and on top of that, Sony's messaging and promotion has been fantastic. They can for sure makes things better, online infrastructure is one of them but hey, the system is still top notch.

They're doing an incredible job, it's hard to complain. It's a system that looks like it's been made for all kind of gamers. Sony have a very very good track record with support for their system and treat every country with respect. No wonder Sony and especially PlayStation succeeds on a worldwide scale.

Anyways, to that, i say cheers and i wish Sony the best !

Kazaam

sony_sales_doubt68s7t.png

I'm noticing a pattern with these guys...

What the hell am I listening to? I don't...understand...

Shenmue

Banned
He/she is referring to the quality control issues, presumably.

I agree that the launch controller were built like shit, but the 20th anniversary ones (and presumably the other new ones) are great. I have had no issues whatsoever with the sticky triggers or analog stick peeling on the new model. The only possible issue would be the battery life which unfortunately as long as they keep that LED light in there will always be a problem.

M.D

I don't think there's ever been an online 'personality' with a more descriptive name. Bonus tweet:

Didn't someone say that this guy or one in his group got into an elevator with Shu Yoshida in an E3 or Gamescom and somehow threatened him or talked to him not very nicely? Or am I totally imagining this?

Shenmue

Banned
he seems like the likeable person you want as a representative for your console.

Well kinda if you want to focus even more on the US. There is not an insignificant portion of the country's populace that Crapgamer would appeal to with vitriol like that.

I mean there have been many commercials for American products that are at worst, borderline racist, and at least, offensively nationalistic. I've heard and seen so many radio and tv commercials advertising American cars basically bashing on Japanese brands, not because of quality (because for a long time Japanese cars were simply built better), but simply because American people should buy American products and not those dirty "Jap" products (obviously they don't actually say this, but the undertone is clear).

On my local sports radio station the host, a guy named Petros Papadakis, constantly has this schtick when he's doing his paid advertising portions where he says things like "Don't buy those weak trucks from "Japon", "Nippon"" and all manners of other stuff like that for Dodge and Ford. They continually pay him to do those so these companies obviously ratify and support that.

The most hilarious (and embarrassing) one in recent memory I think was that Buick one (I think?) where it had Japanese voiceover expressing how meticulously built and elegant the car on the screen was and then exclaimed surprise when it was revealed the car was an American one.

Didn't someone say that this guy or one in his group got into an elevator with Shu Yoshida in an E3 or Gamescom and somehow threatened him or talked to him not very nicely? Or am I totally imagining this?
Supposedly that was Timdog but I haven't been able to corroborate it.

I don't think there's ever been an online 'personality' with a more descriptive name. Bonus tweet:

This crapgamer guy is a redneck racist pos. Listened to one of his rants about the last PS4 sales report on his youtube channel and said, this guy will never get another click from me !

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Guys guys guys he's not racist, he just claims he doesn't like being politically correct.....lmfao

On a side note i tweeted them a few times just to have a friendly debate, because to them this is all "fun and games" so i decided to participate and provide facts....i got blocked by all their twitter handles in 2 minutes lol

Intrigue

Banned
I was asking about Ps4 sales, that's why I brought up zhuge. And speaking up zhuge, hit him up for that graph of yours. Maybe tweet.

Interesting. I'll admit though I'm still not sure what you mean by xbone's overhead and multi-os architecture. Either way though perhaps it would be foolish to just say xbone has any difference making hardware advantages now.

So about a 5 t flop difference, damn. And this should precisely be the reason why Ps4 has generally been regarded as having better graphics ; certain things I do not understand though is that by how much? Is it closer than I think? Forza 6 is a pretty damn good looking game and so is driveclub, but it's at half the framerate. How much reasonably better would driveclub have looked than forza if it had been 60fps or vice versa; how close would forza have been to driveclub if it were 30?

Who is "we"? i was asking about Ps4 na numbers.

Which makes it, I guess, relatively close to Ps4. But that's what I was asking about at the time, the Ps4's sales. It reached 9 million in October and likely sold 2 million within the next two following months should be over 10 now I think.

I'm sorry I can't tell, in the first sentence are you talking about Ps4 or xbone gpu? If Ps4 are you saying that its gpu is overclocking/overdoing itself to output better graphics?

In the second sentence, again I'm asking because I cannot tell for sure, are you saying Ps4's gpu has a shorter advantage because of the lower MHz?

I've heard varying answers from different sources. Like here on GAF I've been told that Ps4's gpu and ram are in just another league than xbone's and other times I hear that te difference in power, just isn't really much of a difference.
I think Psn still sucking is a major complaint too.

I guess for my own sanity, are you just playing difficult or are these genuine questions?

Because you are coming off as a true hard core Xbox loyalist, who do everything to refuse facts.

"Be American, buy American. Buy Xbox. To me that's home team."
"People just need to start supporting America, period."

Hahaha, I'm done.

I can't believe some people think like that. I mean this is uneducated 2nd grade shit. Sony which is a Japanese company probably creates more jobs in the US than Microsoft and this is just a tiny example. American companies are American by name most of the time.

Raist

Banned
Which makes it, I guess, relatively close to Ps4. But that's what I was asking about at the time, the Ps4's sales. It reached 9 million in October and likely sold 2 million within the next two following months should be over 10 now I think.

The PS4 hit 9M in the US as of September (included).
October: 275k
November: 1,540k

Total: 10,815k, ~1.1M ahead of the XB1.

We'll get the December results next week but it'll likely be well over 12M.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
One hour and a half; on one video about him doubting the PS4 sales. The hell?
To be fair it isnt just him its a podcast with him and other sony haters, my new fav is the mooch, dude almost 40 and says the shit he does, you know there are problems there

onQ123

So about a 5 t flop difference, damn. And this should precisely be the reason why Ps4 has generally been regarded as having better graphics ; certain things I do not understand though is that by how much? Is it closer than I think? Forza 6 is a pretty damn good looking game and so is driveclub, but it's at half the framerate. How much reasonably better would driveclub have looked than forza if it had been 60fps or vice versa; how close would forza have been to driveclub if it were 30?

Not 5 TeraFlops lol PS4 is only 1.84 TeraFlops , it's around 500 GigaFlops more powerful than the Xbox One GPU.

Forza doesn't look as good a Driveclub but even if it did you can't judge the power of a console by what 2 different devs was able to achieve. Forza isn't the best that Xbox One can do & Driveclub isn't the best that PS4 can do.

Games are going to look better & better as devs get used to the hardware & from the looks of things PS4 will see the biggest improvement over Xbox One because of faster ram & fine grain compute.

Xbox One embedded ram should help with compute also but PS4 seem to have the biggest advantages in compute.

Apathy

Wow those Xbox warriors. Yeah, cause Sony is lying about numbers, specially when they will have to report then to shareholders and if they are lying it's a crime. Good job idiots.

Wow those Xbox warriors. Yeah, cause Sony is lying about numbers, specially when they will have to report then to shareholders and if they are lying it's a crime. Good job idiots.

There's a bit of that on both sides of the fence. There are plenty of people who believe Microsoft is lying about their own sell-through numbers when they announce them as well.

Then again, there's also people who believe the moon landing was faked, 9/11 was staged by the US government, and the Holocaust never happened.

Takes all kinds.

There's a bit of that on both sides of the fence. There are plenty of people who believe Microsoft is lying about their own sell-through numbers when they announce them as well.

Then again, there's also people who believe the moon landing was faked, 9/11 was staged by the US government, and the Holocaust never happened.

Takes all kinds.

The only question is if they are sold through or not because they would be ambiguous at times.

The only question is if they are sold through or not because they would be ambiguous at times.

True, but in the recent scenario I'm thinking of it was specifically stated that the numbers were in fact sell-through numbers. And yet some people still clamored to see the receipts.

I guess for my own sanity, are you just playing difficult or are these genuine questions?

Because you are coming off as a true hard core Xbox loyalist, who do everything to refuse facts.
If you read the first part of the post you quoted you'd see I essentially said I was being foolish for still thinking the xbone has any power advantage that isn't negligible. But yes, they are genuine questions and no I'm not trying to be difficult.

I think xbone is dope although I've contemplated getting one I've never owned an xbox. I don't see how this makes me a loyalist.
The PS4 hit 9M in the US as of September (included).
October: 275k
November: 1,540k

Total: 10,815k, ~1.1M ahead of the XB1.

We'll get the December results next week but it'll likely be well over 12M.
Awesome. It'd be cool if sony did an announcement to give NA numbers too to gain some perspective on n.a vs whole world userbase, but maybe zhuge will write about it on his blog.

Iirc, when mS said first to 10 they meant 10 in the u.s, which sony beat them in as well.
Not 5 TeraFlops lol PS4 is only 1.84 TeraFlops , it's around 500 GigaFlops more powerful than the Xbox One GPU.

Forza doesn't look as good a Driveclub but even if it did you can't judge the power of a console by what 2 different devs was able to achieve. Forza isn't the best that Xbox One can do & Driveclub isn't the best that PS4 can do.

Games are going to look better & better as devs get used to the hardware & from the looks of things PS4 will see the biggest improvement over Xbox One because of faster ram & fine grain compute.

Xbox One embedded ram should help with compute also but PS4 seem to have the biggest advantages in compute.
shit, yeah I meant .5 tflops, sorry.

Evolution studios like many devs aimed at 60 first and settled with 30. Curiously, do the gt games usually go for 60 fps too? If they do, I'm hoping polyphony can pull that off without having to sacrifice their visual target for the graphics

Takes all kinds.

When was the last time MS announced a sold through number for the Xbox One?

Takes all kinds.
To be fair there's a lot of evidence that the moon landing really was faked. Here are some sites you can take a look at, not trying to change your mind but it is interesting:

http://listverse.com/2012/12/28/10-reasons-the-moon-landings-could-be-a-hoax/
http://www.enkivillage.com/moon-landing-hoax.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7pzg9xpAOE

Apathy

To be fair there's a lot of evidence that the moon landing really was faked. Here are some sites you can take a look at, not trying to change your mind but it is interesting:

Can't tell if you want to troll or seriously believe the moon landing was faked. Either way, here
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/18/NVIDIA-proves-moon-landing/

Kazaam

Man, what is happening today! Hahaha! Some of those things are fantastically funny! Love me some Kubrick theories, but I laughed so hard at the
If you aren’t convinced yet, Kubrick made the mysterious hotel room in the film number 237. Guess how many miles it is from here to the moon: 238,000. So divide that by a thousand and minus one, and you’ve got one airtight theory right there.
Now as you know the number 42 is also used in the film and has its own theories. But did you also know that if you take the 238,000 miles and divide that by 42 you get 5666.6666666. Now take the 2nd, the 3rd and the 8th number and put them together. What do you get? 666 ... Do with that what you will...

Top Bottom