• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

SoulUnison

Banned
Sounds like you are just having huge amounts of lag, lag makes the game go crazy

I switched my PS3 from Wi-Fi to Ethernet. I turned off every other internet using device in the house. Speedtests show me getting great up and down and good ping. I even tried popping in Street FIghter IV and Naruto: Storm Generations and neither of them have any issue.

But PSA:BR is nearly unplayable about half the time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I switched my PS3 from Wi-Fi to Ethernet. I turned off every other internet using device in the house. Speedtests show me getting great up and down and good ping. I even tried popping in Street FIghter IV and Naruto: Storm Generations and neither of them have any issue.

But PSA:BR is nearly unplayable about half the time.

No clue, most of my games are near flawless. The only time I have any signs of lag issues is vs people in europe and im all the way on west coast.

On the subject of characters we DON'T want in, I wish I could stop seeing requests for Heavy Rain guys, like IGN's incessant badgering of SB for Bereaved Father dude. It would be embarrassingly bad, and I'm shocked people still find the Jason thing funny after two years; that meme outstayed its welcome after two weeks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fun fact I just found a new reset into ratchets level 1 that doesnt require a wall. Horray

wow nariko vs ratchet is fucked LOL her rolls are so short she cant get away from a down throw into super from him

On the subject of characters we DON'T want in, I wish I could stop seeing requests for Heavy Rain guys, like IGN's incessant badgering of SB for Bereaved Father dude. It would be embarrassingly bad, and I'm shocked people still find the Jason thing funny after two years; that meme outstayed its welcome after two weeks.
Agreed, would be a horrid addition

Fortunately David Cage probably sees his characters as being above this game

Don't think a standard Chimera Hybrid would work well though I could see a Nathan Hale (end of Resistance 2 make it in).

Albeit very shooty as many have already commented. Bit similar to Radec really, but sure all for fun. Could spend hours thinking up moves for new characters!!

Something like this maybe:

Square (neutral) - Knife Slash
Square left/right - Gun Butt (slight knockback)
Square up - Warhammer
Square down - Sapper Mine

Triangle (neutral) - Bullseye (spray fire with low AP and range for hits)
Triangle left/right - Bullseye tag (which redirects Bullseye Fire, short duration, aimable so it requires some skill to prevent spamming, follow up with neutral triangle for combo. Maybe even add a reload animation to end to pad it out and help prevent spamming)
Triangle down - Splicer (similar to Ratchet)
Triangle up - Bellock Grenade or Carbine Alt (goes in slight arc)

Circle (neutral) - Marksman/Deadeye/Fareye (Aimable)
Circile left/right - Rossmore
Circle up - Marksman Alt Fire
Circle down - Spider Grenade (the one that flames after a few moments)

Super 1 - Magnum with exploding bullet area of effect (somewhere between Drake and Nariko Lvl 1s)

Super 2 - Chimera Hale (similar to Raiden Lvl 2 or Big Daddy) or maybe something with the Atomizer and move Chimera Hale to Lvl 3

Super 3 - Similar to any of the supers that let's you aim on the screen but would be either jumping into a Stalker and shoot at everyone or change the perspective to FPS using the LAARK where you shoot and guide the rockets to hit your opponents.

Jawmuncher

Honestly I think it would be cool to throw him in Jason meme or not. Since they could easily do his story as some sort of Taken deal. What a father will do to save his son.....even going so far as to fight playstation characters. The biggest thing would be his move set but if they nailed that he'd be one hell of a unique character. For me when you have a crossover everyone gets a chance is how I like to see it.
Hell Howard the duck should've been in UMVC3

bakedpony

The netcode is really getting to me now. I can't connect to matches and had a deduction due to connection errors. These connection errors are getting bad like Twisted Metal's were.

KalBalboa

Banned
The netcode is really getting to me now. I can't connect to matches and had a deduction due to connection errors. These connection errors are getting bad like Twisted Metal's were.

TM's issue was just getting into a match. I bet All Stars is undergoing server stress from the new patch hitting super soon.

bakedpony

TM's issue was just getting into a match. I bet All Stars is undergoing server stress from the new patch hitting super soon.

Yep All Stars is also horrible in connecting to a match. The patch hopefully fixes this problem. A lot of players may be turned off if not

KalBalboa

Banned
Yep All Stars is also horrible in connecting to a match. The patch hopefully fixes this problem. A lot of players may be turned off if not

That certainly hasn't been the case for me and the people I've been playing with.

Sometimes a match takes multiple attempts to connect or whatever, but Twisted Metal wouldn't even let most players join matches for the first few weeks of release. All Stars should certainly be improved, but it's definitely not as bad as TM was.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fun fact I just found a new reset into ratchets level 1 that doesnt require a wall. Horray

wow nariko vs ratchet is fucked LOL her rolls are so short she cant get away from a down throw into super from him

And you must share with me, because Ratchet is my main. Lol.

Played what must have been 10+ matches of FFA straight last night against Kratos and/or Raiden, with most having both in the match. UGH.

This morning I play 3 straight matches with neither and it is like a brand new game lol. Soooo good.

In all seriousness, I don't have too much of a problem with either character other than I encounter them so much that it makes online matches a little too samey. HOWEVER, for Kratos is it too much to ask to just make the chain grab only work horizontally? No homing, no grabbing you out of the air, or through a floor (seriously that is the worst), just straight out in front. Then I feel like Kratos is near perfect. I mean imagine if Parappa could mic pull someone into a combo start with the same homing ability, it would be a nightmare. lol

Also I am done experimenting in Ranked games, I am rocking Fat Princess until the end. In fact I got a nice message yesterday from a person that said I was the best Fatty P he had seen, to which I thought "probably has seen many".

Mikor

Faced off against a team of Radecs in 2v2 ranked...might have been the most annoying match I've ever had the displeasure of facing. They posted up against the walls on either side of the arena (Metropolis) and just started unloading. Least fun match I've played...I feel like melee ranged characters like Heihachi need more options to deal with extreme range characters.

KalBalboa

Banned
Fuck Kratos and Raiden

That is all

Updated for what post-patch All Stars will be like.

thumbs-up.jpg

I've ran into a Raiden earlier that repeadetly used his chest stabbing throw on me, must have been 4-5 times in a row. He stabbed me, i crumpled, he stabbed me again, and so on. It's probably because i suck at evading, but i couldn't seem to get out of the loop until someone else attacked us. Did anyone else have a similar experience? Is the window to get out of it just a bit short?

Vysetron

Neo Member
I've run into so much Kratos and Raidens online that I rarely lose against them these days. Most of them really don't know what they are doing and are really predictable.

Ditto. Kratoses tend to throw a lot of unsafe moves. Block one chain grab and you've got a free pass to combo them. Raiden is the same type deal, just a little harder.

Just had the glitch where Drake's throws don't eject AP, how annoying. I have thrown a Kratos close to a level 3 super three times in a row and he didn't drop a single orb, wth. Of course he ended up slaughtering us.

5amshift

Banned
Just had the glitch where Drake's throws don't eject AP, how annoying. I have thrown a Kratos close to a level 3 super three times in a row and he didn't drop a single orb, wth. Of course he ended up slaughtering us.

Not surprised I haven't heard of this one. Actually I'm am, since there are way too many glitches in this game as it is.

Mordeccai

Fighting a cpu sly is the most bullshit thing in this game. Just tried to get through the hardest arcade mode and this asshole knocks out your ap, stays invisible the whole fucking time, and just teleports back and forth. Game is making me rage hardcore today, going to call it quits and put it down for a day.

cyborg009

Banned
Fighting a cpu sly is the most bullshit thing in this game. Just tried to get through the hardest arcade mode and this asshole knocks out your ap, stays invisible the whole fucking time, and just teleports back and forth. Game is making me rage hardcore today, going to call it quits and put it down for a day.

Weird how everyone having issues with him.
He took me only 2 attempts

you arent alone dude. He is absolutely the worst person to fight against on All Stars difficulty.

They need to nerf Sly's invisibility move and parry. His parry is way too useful and EJECTS AP from you after following up with an attack??

His invisibility should have a duration and recharge timer.

Kratos nuff said.

Raiden is too button mashy and easy to follow up lvl1's with him.

Jak needs faster AP gain for his plentiful animation frames.
edit: To be more specific I'd favor if they can actually speed up Jak's animation. In his games he doesn't feel like that. Right now he's hard to do combos with and I'd rather be able to chain moves together with his current AP gain than to still have him so slow. Basically just copy and paste Ratchet's or Radec's feel to Jak. They control much smoother.

Sir dan just needs a speed boost and maybe a way to aim his lvl 1 in front of you.

Also does the "show score" option in VS modes not work? Everytime I put it on and then start a match I notice no difference. I then went back and it was disabled. Once you back out the VS options it just disables itself. It doesn't work on any of the match types so it wasn't that.

SykoTech

I here ya with Sly. was playing in Arcade mode on All-Star difficulty, and the last match they gave me was a "first to get 3 kills match" with Sly as the harder CPU. And it was in the Uncharted stage no less, which starts incredibly cramped in the beginning. And to top it all off, I was Dante, who I'm not that great with and takes a while to build meter.

Between the stupid CPUs that would always get bulldozed by Murray and the usual Sly counter-teleport/AP knockout BS, I think it took me like 8 tries to win.

Mordeccai

Has there been a balancing patch yet? Wondering how frequently they're supposed to come out.

I feel like the uncharted stage is difficult against sly because of his level one but also a bit unfair to those with aoe attacks. I mean if big daddy gets a ground pounding in, he's got a super and a half. But he's got issues with his supers, love his move set but his supers could use tweaking. I'm absolutely horrible at aiming his level 1

Spinluck

Dude, grabs counter rolls. It's designed that way. You can't roll away from a grab, and air dodges have a super short delay on landing as well which lets you be thrown.

So after I have completely rolled behind them, it is normal to warp back in front of them into a grab?

That is some shitty design then o___O. Not even Brawl's online did that shit. Can you explain me being grabbed even when out of range (and I mean waayy out of range)? Is it designed for that too? I either get good matches, or very bad ones where everyone is teleporting. -____-

I remember going against you a couple of times, and it was laggy as fuck some matches.

I don't notice most of these issues offline. And being grabbed during a combo is bullshit. The game has some issues dude, it's fun, but it needs fixing in some areas.

No need to continually defend it, I mean you defended Sackboys ridiculous AP gain lol.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've run into so much Kratos and Raidens online that I rarely lose against them these days. Most of them really don't know what they are doing and are really predictable.

I can wipe the floor with most Kratos & Raidens when I'm playing as Good Cole. A freeze into a combo goes a long way against a melee button masher.

Gadirok

oh wow at that fight. I was wondering why everyone was complaining a few weeks ago because I didn't all-star difficulty with drake and nariko ( didn't find the characters appealing and never had the interest to go through arcade mode again after platinum). When I was finishing them up the all-star arcade run last week I realized how ridiculous the fight with sly was.

Invisible, counter, every single cheap trick in the book.

Luckily I came prepared, and the only characters I have ever been playing with is ratchet and drake online (big surprise with drake, I don't even like uncharted but his play style is sooooo fun :).

Regardless, I kicked sly's @$$ on my first attempt and got the flawless goal for drake. But I can understand why it was so challenging for most people.

Some advice as a drake player, it's all about timing. staying knocked down on the ground for awhile against the invisible sly is actually a good thing.

If you have the option play on the vita do it( I don't know why but I just find it easier to see sly's shadow on the vita making it much more easier to time my level 1s).

Every single kill I did against him was a level 1 while he was in the air. I implode the gas canister while its in the air, because for some reason when the AI tends to jump in the air a certain distance away from you.

Invisibility is nothing when you can do the down square home run slide and follow up with a small little combo. I usually did the grenade gun launching thing that shoots diagonally in the air, because the AI tends to recover in the air, giving me another easy hit.

Also, when you can't see him and you know hes somewhere underneath you, its better to just double jump and spam down O, or whichever attack brings the ground down on your victim. For some reason the Sly AI tended to be stupid and just stay invisible thinking he could get another easy hit quickly when I land down. Yeah, guess again.

Anyways, the most challenging rival all-star fight for me was playing as sweet tooth against kratos. I suck at sweet tooth and it was my second arcade run (probably why, because at the time I knew nothing more about the game). It took me 8 attempts to get through that and my brother fell asleep watching me. I'll decide to practice more with him soon but I just don't like the way sweet tooth plays.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just got the Vita Platinum trophy during some downtime at the office.

Beat my first arcade with Sweet tooth on PS3, got the platinum by doing it as him on Vita. Seemed appropriate.

Top Bottom