• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Zen

Banned
Well what they say is "If you want to get a kill using an attack combo, you're going to need to start relying on a level 2 super to get the job done as all high AP super confirm kills have been removed in this patch"

So what do they mean by that... You can no longer get a kill confirm a combo string into a level one, but hit confirms into level 1s are still there? I mainly play Radec so I am a little in the dark here.

Well what they say is "If you want to get a kill using an attack combo, you're going to need to start relying on a level 2 super to get the job done as all high AP super confirm kills have been removed in this patch"

So what do they mean by that... You can no longer get a kill confirm a combo string into a level one, but hit confirms into level 1s are still there? I mainly play Radec so I am a little in the dark here.

Thats what it sounds like to me.

Nice fun group of matches opens with Kat versus Jak (audio sync and slight freeze issue on match 1 seems to clear up after)
http://youtu.be/x9HyIjMKfUM

A nice Kratos v Graves match
http://youtu.be/v-zDByD1EUk

And a rundown on the new Zoning oriented Issac
http://youtu.be/6SC2xHKH3LM

Have we heard any comments on if they will be doing more patches after this one?

Pretty sure this is the last absolute final never happening again patch. This one almost didn't happen.

Zen

Banned
Is there any behinds the scene tidbits they have shared on why it took so long? Even if this is the last patch, I feel like the game is in a pretty decent spot currently. I hope, even with only selling +1 million ww, that there is enough passion within Sony to try and take a second tab at this series.

Also hopefully we will see PS+ inclusion soon that will help out the online population for people.

beat

I finally bought Zeus and Isaac. There's a bundle containing those two and the Graveyard level for $1.99; price good till the 23rd.

I just wanted to say, to the people who dont spam and actually do combos, I respect you guys. For those who do, with characters like Coles or Ratchet...I freaking hate you.

I finally bought Zeus and Isaac. There's a bundle containing those two and the Graveyard level for $1.99; price good till the 23rd.

Really wish Emmet was on sale. I lucked out when I didnt download him for free on vita. I did get Kat though but I dont really get her fighting style.

Camjo-Z

I just wanted to say, to the people who dont spam and actually do combos, I respect you guys. For those who do, with characters like Coles or Ratchet...I freaking hate you.

I don't know why they barely touched Ratchet. His grab still sets up easy Level 1 kills (not to mention his standard square combo can do the same in a corner) and his sniper is still ripe for spamming behind a partner.

Is there any behinds the scene tidbits they have shared on why it took so long? Even if this is the last patch, I feel like the game is in a pretty decent spot currently. I hope, even with only selling +1 million ww, that there is enough passion within Sony to try and take a second tab at this series.

Also hopefully we will see PS+ inclusion soon that will help out the online population for people.

Come to think of it, I remembered seeing Verendus saying something about an All-Stars sequel being considered, and while looking for said post I found an even more recent one:

I'm just going to say this. There'll be another mascot brawler but with more emphasis on it just being a rumble between various different characters (so they won't market it as some Playstation legacy game), and I don't believe you're going to get an 'All-Stars' sequel. They won't associate it with that. It'll be a different name.

The big mistake with All-Stars was releasing it like they did, and on the PS3. They should have saved it as a launch window title for the PS4. It would have given it more attention, and potentially more opportunity for success. It was sent to die with just poor decisions surrounding it.

So if that's to be believed then we may be getting a sequel, though not under the same name. All I know is it better have PaRappa in it!

I don't know why they barely touched Ratchet. His grab still sets up easy Level 1 kills (not to mention his standard square combo can do the same in a corner) and his sniper is still ripe for spamming behind a partner.

Oh man, I havent faced that yet. All I've been getting is Ratchet players constant barrages of that sniper attack, electro whips and just well, whatever else these players like to spam.

Come to think of it, I remembered seeing Verendus saying something about an All-Stars sequel being considered, and while looking for said post I found an even more recent one:

So if that's to be believed then we may be getting a sequel, though not under the same name.

Awesome if true, is Verendus like an insider or something?

Zen

Banned

So if that's to be believed then we may be getting a sequel, though not under the same name. All I know is it better have PaRappa in it!

Sort of sounds like it might not even be the same gameplay format. Like a Moba type title or something that happens to include PS characters. I dunno, I guess we will see. But if it was a 2D Smash-like, then it would be pretty weird not to use the name. I am cautious, I mean yeah I am happy we might be getting something, but damn that is vague on what it could be. I really hold out hope for a spiritual sequel to this game and gameplay, but who knows!

I am glad that no matter what, Sony has enough interest in the base concept to continue to pursue it.

A lot of people in the relatively small PSABR community seem to talk about how the game was rushed, I thought it was in development for like 3 years.

Fasty

So I enjoyed the beta when it came out, and finally bought it now that it's super cheap in the Easter sale. But I cannot for the life of me connect to an online game! It keeps saying cannot find any opponents. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I'm in Australia or is nobody else actually playing the game?

Zen

Banned
So I enjoyed the beta when it came out, and finally bought it now that it's super cheap in the Easter sale. But I cannot for the life of me connect to an online game! It keeps saying cannot find any opponents. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I'm in Australia or is nobody else actually playing the game?

Unfortunately it might, do you just sit there with looking for match or does it sometimes say ;connecting; and then flip back? What tends to work better for people is, say, after 10-20 seconds, just back out and hit search again. For some reason refreshing the search seems to help a bit.

Piccoro

Yea, this game's online is crap in the EU/Australia region. Like the previous GAFFER said, when the message "searching for opponents" is on screen for a long time, press circle to back out, select your character and try again.
There are still lots of people playing this 24/7.

Zen

Banned
There is a PSallstars tournament being organized.

Tournament Sign Ups! Prizes and rules within.

Our sub has seen an explosion in activity since the patch and in order to celebrate that, we'll be hosting a 1v1 tournament. I was made a mod for the purpose of organizing this tournament. This is the sign up thread, and will explain how the whole thing will work. If all goes well, it will hopefully become a regular thing and we will consistently have tournaments.
We'll be using the standard competitive rules, with one slight alteration:
1v1
3 stock
Best 2 out of 3
Double Elimination
2 Characters per player
No stalls, air stalls, or intentional glitch exploitation. A stall is defined as intentionally avoiding combat for the purpose of drawing out the match/being a dick/being a weak little baby who can't fight. We're here to have fun. People who troll our tournaments will be banned, and possibly given a TROLL flair. We don't abide that shit.
Items and Hazards off (although I would totally prefer hazards, personally)
STAGES TBD
Hosting Procedures:
In the event of two parties:
Host, Non - Host, Host. Host strikes first, Non - Host Strikes second and strikes 2 matches, Host strikes again leaving 1 map.
If 3rd Party Host (In the event of connection issues or streaming purposes) Lowest seed strikes first, Higher seed strikes next then lower seed strikes again.
Lower seed meaning that if seed 16 and seed 14 are playing. Seed 16 is the lower seed.
Players will only be seeded to top 16, after that seedings are based on participant list. So if for example two players are forced to play a match and they have to choose a neutral host and neither of them is seeded within the top 16 then whichever player signed up first has the higher seed. After this tournament an equation will be implemented to give everyone a seed so that in the future any player who has partcicipated in a tournament will have an actual ranking.
Counter Picking Procedures:
Winner Bans 2 stages Loser Picks Counter Pick Stage
Winner Changes character or Stays THEN, the Loser Changes Character or Stays. All counter picks will be done in response to the winner's selection. Not before or after it is seen that the player is choosing a character.
Those of you familiar with these rules will notice one glaring difference: Kat is not banned. This is because she deserves a fair shake in the tournaments after the new patch. It's likely her nerfs brought her down to a reasonable competitive level, and some of her bugs have been fixed. We will therefore be allowing her for now.
Tournament Structure: The tournament will likely take place over the course of two weeks. It will be your responsibility to finish fights with your opponent in a timely fashion. If you fail to respond to your opponents, you will be considered to have forfeited that fight.
PRIZES: Well, really just prize. For now, the 1st place winner will receive a $10 PSN card and a matching flair. The second and third place winners will (hopefully) receive appropriate flairs as well, as well as glory and the respect of the sub. I might be generous and give out actual prizes to the runner-ups, but we'll see how I'm feeling.
If you'd like to sign up, please do so below. List your main, your sub, your PSN, and what times will be most available to you to play. Also, if you're able to stream/record matches, we would appreciate your help, even if you probably can't actually play.
THE TOURNAMENT WILL BEGIN EXACTLY ONE WEEK AFTER THIS POST
Update: Thirty entrants and counting!

http://www.reddit.com/r/psbattleroyale/comments/231jv6/tournament_sign_ups_prizes_and_rules_within/

Also apparently your block can be broken if you get hit by a twitch attack and standard attack at the same time, something that Jak can do very easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmgHYVyZvk Jak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMxE3iSjUvU&feature=youtu.be Ratchet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTY9kWKIwT0 Sir Dan

Could actually change the way Jak is played against some opponents.

On that note I have been playing around with Jak a lot and man, It was either this thread one of the others in gaming that complained about him, but he is a LOT better than pre patch Jak. His combo game is a lot better now, and he has a reliable combo into a level 1 super that he did not have before. He is comfortably mid tier (which is not a big blow considering that the range between characters got smoothed out some with this patch) and could even by a low high tier character. Watching the streams with him dominating Kratos etc was pretty eye opening.

Zen

Banned
Seems like there is somewhat of a tournament scene coming up out of nowhere for the game. I guess everyone who is still passionate about the game said fuck it and started doing things. Apparently it will be featured on stream weekly. Some surprisingly fun1v1s to watch in there. Sweet Tooth very strong and the two announcers do a very good job. Stream for the PSABR portion got over 3k viewers, so not bad!

Spring_Tournament.png

Also the guy who runs everything for TheRunBack gets on and talks about Allstars at 3:59:34

- They are doing PSABR top 3 every week for this season
- Pretty good Tournament sign up and presence in Arcade
- Twitch chat shitting on disrespecting PSABR will net your a perma ban (apparently lot of trolls etc)

See you at The Runback 04/17/2014 (SoCal Offline Tournament Streamed on Twitch)
Fast foward to the 3:17:40 mark.

Live Tonight 04/17/2014 @ 9:30 PM PST on www.twitch.tv/leveluplive
If you live in SoCal come out and have some fun.
More Details: http://www.levelup-series.com/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-spring-tournament-at-the-runback/

Thoughts on the tournament

#TRB WK2: Stream Link and Wrap Up/Random Thoughts
OPTIONS
7 replies 269 views Edited 22 hours ago
Level Up Stream Link:
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/520834150

Fast foward to the 3:17:40 mark.

Great turnout for the 2nd week! 22 Fighters join the fray with familar faces and a coupole of new ones.

- We arrive to find out that PSASBR has been bumped from the stream and instead of having the entire tourney streamed, we are regulated to only Top 3. Bummer. The reason why All Stars is here in the first place is to bring exposure back to the game. The top players were bummed but kept their spirits up. Personally, I was hoping to be able to stream all night again but I'm still excited to do it again.

- It's difficult to keep up with all the action without running commentary for the majority of the matches. We quickly start to blow through the bracet as fast as we could to get to the Top 3 for some Stream time.

- The DLC characters are given the green light, we see a couple of Kat and Issac but no Zeus or Emmett.

- Drakes and Dante still have a dominate presence throughout the tourney.

- Project quickly disposes his opponents as he seems to stick to more basic combos and works in more level 2 confirms.

- Dragon is coasting through his winner's match ups, switching back and forth between Drake and Kratos.

- Bam is doing great helping the new players and everyone talks shop as the matches go on in the background.

- A new player, Mr. Bones has a great Sir Dan. He gave Bam a little scare...very small scare...during his match with Mr.Bone. After watching Mr. Bone, I pick up new confirms and set ups with Sir Dan. This is what local off line tourney is all about because you pick up new things from watching other high players go to work. It was fun to see another Sir Dan do his thing against high level comp.

-Project and Bam fall into Loser's Bracket while Dragon and Limbo square off in the Semis.

- It takes awhile to get through the Loser's bracket, hell, I had a crazy iron man match against Floppy Joppy's Issac. I'm learning more nuances of Sir Dan's game but it is becoming very clear that Sir Dan will always be at a disadvantage against most skilled players.

-Finally we are on the stream, we had to wait 15 mins or so for Marvel to wrap up their tourney.

STREAM TIME.

Dragon vs Limbo.

Dragon has little trouble in this match up. His Drake defeats Limbo's Dante despite only getting 1 kill with Drake's Temple of Doom Lvl 3. Limbo does his best to stick with Dragon but, he could not break Dragon's zoning/keep away game. As the match goes on, Dragon pulls away and advances to the Grand Finals.

Limbo vs Bam

Bam rises from the Loser's Bracket to play Limbo. At first Bam struggles against Limbo's Dante and could not get anything going with Robo Raiden. Bam suffers a bone crushing 3-0 defeat. The highlight of the match was a nice level 1 confirm from Limbo.

Bam changes to Sweet Tooth.

Bam's Sweet Tooth causes more havoc against Limbo's Dante. Sweet's pokes are a lot stronger and this gives Bam the AP needed for Sweet's deadly Machete level 1 confirm. Using Sweet's down Tri, Bam regains the momentum and dispatches Limbo tying the best out of 3. 1-1

Limbo switchs to Sly.

Limbo goes for the change up and hopes Sly's elusiveness can give Bam's Sweet problems. But, it's more of the same, Sweets is too powerful and easy AP gain combine with the deadly level 1 are too much for little Racoon. Limbo goes down and out. Bam moves on for a rematch of last week's Grand Finale: Dragonsroc vs Bam 2.

Dragon vs Bam 2

The tables have turned with Bam coming from the Loser's Bracket while Dragon sitting on top of the winner's. Dragon has not had any challenging matches up to this point and looks ready to defend his belt. Bam goes into the Finals with Sweets while Dragon enters the match with E. Cole.

-I played against Dragon's E Cole in a casual match and boy, that is not a great match for Sir Dan. His E Cole is fast and zones the hell out of you.

As predicted, Dragon uses E Cole's gigapunch lvl 1 confirm to put Bam down for the first match. There was alot of projectile tossing between the two and Bam whiffed on 2 raw level 1 supers. Bam knows that Dragon will not fall of Machete confirm so Bam goes for the HR plays (naked supers). Dragon wins.

Bam switches to Kat.

Bam wants to show the people different characters, he is not in it to win the tournament but instead in it for the sake of the game's survival. The stream is intriqued by Kat's movement and fighting style which seems more like a standard balanced fighter. The flashy-ness of Kat still can't break Dragon's strong E Cole offense. Big momentum play of the round was Bam whiffing on Kat's level 2 because Dragon (by miracle) was able to double air tech out after getting wall bounced. A couple of giga punches and a level 2 confirm give Dragon the win. Dragon successfully defends the belt.

Thanks for reading. I won't be at next week's tournament so good luck to those attending.

http://community.us.playstation.com...ink-and-Wrap-Up-Random-Thoughts/td-p/43393584

Also whomever said that they did not want any combos in this type of game, and have everything based on positioning and reading your opponent. I get where you are coming from, in games like brawl the combos felt organic and dynamic a lot of the time because of the bounce increase percentage system, if PSABR too many combos just feel like inescapable time wasters that have very simple initiations. If we ARE getting another mascot brawler, then I hope it feels a bit more like Smash.

I really do not get people who wanted a Power Stone esque game, what is so good about that series anyway?

I guess my other question really is, if we really are getting some new Mascot Brawler, what should be done with it?

Camjo-Z

Also whomever said that they did not want any combos in this type of game, and have everything based on positioning and reading your opponent. I get where you are coming from, in games like brawl the combos felt organic and dynamic a lot of the time because of the bounce increase percentage system, if PSABR too many combos just feel like inescapable time wasters that have very simple initiations. If we ARE getting another mascot brawler, then I hope it feels a bit more like Smash.

I really do not get people who wanted a Power Stone esque game, what is so good about that series anyway?

I guess my other question really is, if we really are getting some new Mascot Brawler, what should be done with it?

I think it was me that was talking about the combo system. They wanted to have the combos of Marvel with the gameplay of Smash, but they just don't mix as well as they'd hoped.

I don't get why people claim they wanted it to be Power Stone-ish either. It's a fun enough multiplayer party game, but there's very little depth to it. You mash the buttons to do attacks and throw random objects at people and that's about it. There are some serious nostalgia goggles involved, that's for sure.

If we get another mascot fighter, I'd like to see them take an "Smash Bros. on crack" approach like what they showed in the early Title Fight video, where there was all sorts of wild stuff going on in the stages. PSAS 2 should be to Smash 4 what Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was to Mario Kart.

Step

If the sequel is not a Smash carbon copy, I would like it to be like GoW: Ascension MP, throw some MOBA matches options and they could have a decent game that could get some spotlight since they are so trendy lately.

Zen

Banned
Some reddit guy had this to say about the recent streaming of PSABR, main about The RunBack

After the patch's release Sony seems to be making another push for the game to get out there. Most of the FGC's exposure to this game seems to be through Super Arcade on The Runback. While I'm glad the game's receiving some time in the spotlight fueled by both the creators and the community, I'm worried that this exposure may end up being wasted or even counterproductive.
I know that several members who frequent this subreddit also attend TRB and may have some pull as far as commentary, so I'd like if they can have some input.
The most honest critical comparison I can make of this game is to Street Fighter X Tekken. It was a big budget game with the hopes of 2 giant companies putting so much PR towards the game, but entirely in the wrong way. Both games became boring to watch. Both were given a giant (and likely final) patch as they lay dying, and SFxT has failed to revitalize its interest. Both are laughingstocks as far as fighting games are considered (though SFxT is arguably worse off).

What's the big difference to me? PSASBR is actually fun to play, and can be thoroughly entertaining to watch. It also has more flexibility in its options. To that end:
No more 1v1. I understand that even in this game and Smash it seems like the best way to emulate an honest fighting game to test skill, but it is SO GODDAMN UNINTERESTING. You'll get less character variety because you don't have another character to balance out your bad matchups. The main course of action is to build to a level 3 so that you can guarantee kills. This makes many more interesting aspects of a character irrelevant. People don't care about the optimal way to approach a Drake vs. Dante 1v1 when you only need to use the same handful of moves to build up to a level 3. Convert the format to 2v2 so that people who aren't at the very top have a chance, and also so that the game can have wider appeal as far as character variety and strategy in general. Change to kill count would be a good complement to 2v2 so that you won't get near hopeless 2v1 situations.

Don't take up a stream's entire night. You're only building so much publicity by showing the game on stream any given night. Viewers aren't entering streams frequently enough to justify taking up time that's typically allocated to another game. It just ends up building animosity for the game and comes off as the dickish move of "PR at all costs." If you don't remember, this game had already messed up once by being revealed at (EVO 2012 I think?) over actual good matches that could've been streamed (Daigo vs. Latif in AE I believe).

On a more positive note, I'm glad that the patch finally came out and we can finally showcase this game again. The community still cares about this game after some amount of time, and other aspects of its presentation (namely commentary) are commendable. I hope that this momentum will keep the game going for some time to come.

http://www.reddit.com/r/psbattleroyale/comments/23imee/regarding_psasbrs_recent_stream_coverage/

I can't really comment on taking up the streams entire night, but I kind of disagree about no 1v1, especially in a fighting game/arcade community stream. 2v2s in this game are sometimes ok, but it becomes impossible to really follow the tactics and everything ends up looking spammy and cheap on the screen. I found almost every 1v1 in the set the other night to be interesting, the format of it being a BO3 with counter picking worked well for getting a lot of characters in there, and the announcers did a great job in explaining how the characters clash and explaining the action to the viewers. I mean, apparently they had a decent in arcade crowd watching on the TVs and the stream numbers were decent.

Not every character was going for lvl 3, some were aiming for level 1 and 2 (e cole, kat, sweet tooth) and what supers they were going was affected by the matchup. It felt like the is actually a lot of metagame depth in PSABR.

I mean heck, there was a guy in 1v1 who got caught in Drakes lvl 3 and managed to only die once to in a 1v1! He then proceeded to Dante combo all of the other guy for like a minute straight and barely lost the game.

Honestly it makes me wish the game had a dedicated 1v1 matching service. Because even just facing black belt Drakes as Radec, I am learning things, but it is really hard to learn character v character tactics when your only option to play (without friends who are good or knowing other players who will practice) is in a 1v1v1v1 timed game.

I think it was me that was talking about the combo system. They wanted to have the combos of Marvel with the gameplay of Smash, but they just don't mix as well as they'd hoped.

I don't get why people claim they wanted it to be Power Stone-ish either. It's a fun enough multiplayer party game, but there's very little depth to it. You mash the buttons to do attacks and throw random objects at people and that's about it. There are some serious nostalgia goggles involved, that's for sure.

If we get another mascot fighter, I'd like to see them take an "Smash Bros. on crack" approach like what they showed in the early Title Fight video, where there was all sorts of wild stuff going on in the stages. PSAS 2 should be to Smash 4 what Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was to Mario Kart.

For reference:
Title Fight
http://youtu.be/EC8z7vjoeac
http://youtu.be/OeQvR-2vuGA

Seemed to have a lot more going on, larger environments, physics destruction, things happening basically constantly with environmental hazards etc. Seemed like they originally were targeting 30 fps and a lot of the bells and whistles had to get cut when they decided on making it 60fps.

If the sequel is not a Smash carbon copy, I would like it to be like GoW: Ascension MP, throw some MOBA matches options and they could have a decent game that could get some spotlight since they are so trendy lately.

In my heart I want another 2D Smash like, but I do wonder how a Moba like game would play out. I would not want it to be strictly a top down view though. It is weird that Verendus said that they would be another Mascot Brawler from Sony but that it would be but with more emphasis on it just being a rumble between various different characters (so they won't market it as some Playstation legacy game). Its sort of hard to make a game using your mascots that does not end up being a held to the expectation of having legacy, and how would you increase the emphasis on it just being a rumble between various characters? Something far less mechanically complex?

Step

With that description about the rumored MOBA it sounds more like a cheap PS home game haha
Oh God, please no

Zen

Banned
The reddit tournament has start. I did not sign up though I really should have (if they have a second one, I absolutely will). Not sure how deep I could make it with a character like Radec, but I have bodied a black belt Evil Cole before so there is that.
http://challonge.com/RedditSpring1v1PSABR

Also a list of some frequent PSABR fight club streamer and their times.

PSA Streams & Fight Club Directory
OPTIONS
95 replies 3535 views Edited Yesterday
Fight Clubs
Tuesday:
aeris_2pac
9:30pm EST
http://www.twitch.tv/aeris_2pac
Add aeris_2pac on PSN to play
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/choubaka
Wednesday:
Deven3000
5:00pm EST
http://www.twitch.tv/deven3000
Add Deven3000 on PSN to play
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/SuperSonyBros
Thursday:
ImPaCTxX-
6:30pm EST
http://www.twitch.tv/jamm3r498
Add iStunClubs on PSN to play
Saturday:
Quivexo
1:00pm EST
http://www.twitch.tv/quivexo
Add Quivexo on PSN to play
Sunday:
PHaZeX3R0
3:00pm EST
http://www.twitch.tv/phazex3r0
Add PHaZeX3R0 on PSN to play

Other PSA Streamers:
Ayskidd - http://www.twitch.tv/ayskidd
shadowtaman - http://www.twitch.tv/mybrothersco

Special Events:
Please add the PSN of the respective hosts to help the fight clubs move along as smoothly as possible!

For those who would also like to start hosting Fight Clubs, please send me a message through either PM or PSN
I can help you set up a stream, supply you with D3Kbot and get going!

The way Fight Club works:
Fight Club is a first come first serve online rotation.
The way we keep track of everyone who wants to play is by adding them to a list.
The way you join the list is by typing in the chat
!joinlist YOUR_PSN
You only need to type your PSN for the first time ever joining
Once you have joined on that channel, the D3Kbot will remember your PSN by your Twitch name
You can also set a stage that you want to go to by typing
!stage YOUR_STAGE
if you just type !stage by itself, you will be prompted with the stages you are allowed to choose.
If you wish to leave the list because you have to leave for whatever reason, you type the following: !dropspot
And that's pretty much all you need to know!
Sony Bros Fight Club Wednesdays @ 5pm EST
http://www.twitch.tv/deven3000
Sony Bros Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperSonyBros

http://community.us.playstation.com...Directory/m-p/41985217/highlight/true#M504633

Also, Return of Roiden - Raiden's Patch 1.12 Corner Trap
http://youtu.be/kncR9VZfPMw

And if anyone missed the runbacks previous episode with PSABR (2.2) here it is
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/518831642

---

I think the marvel like combos are ok, in that some characters work a lot better than others, it just gets obnoxious when there are characters who have absurdly easy combos that happen to generate a lot of AP and take a long time with easy initiation, or like every move chains into an air combo (looking at you Kratos).

I do like your idea of being to Smash what Transformed is to Mario Kart. But I kind of hope that does not mean going in the MvC3/KI combo/hit fest direction.

Bout the reddit tourney, I lost. Still pretty fun to finally join something like this. Im still in for the losers elimination round and hopefully survive a match or two.

BushLovesOsama but reddit name is my gaf name, my next opponent will be the loser of Match N. I will change have to change my strategy next match.

johngie

Neo Member
BushLovesOsama but reddit name is my gaf name, my next opponent will be the loser of Match N. I will change have to change my strategy next match.

Huh. Dem be some of my rules in that tourney.

Anywho, did you record your match? I'd love to watch it. Jackissocool suggested you use square attacks more, which is good advice considering his d1 > u1 is awesome, f1 is amazing, and his af1 is godly.

Anywho, did you record your match? I'd love to watch it. Jackissocool suggested you use square attacks more, which is good advice considering his d1 > u1 is awesome, f1 is amazing, and his af1 is godly.

Nah, played on my vita, might be possible that jack recorded, dunno. Im gotta be honest, I have no idea what those technical terms, all I know is BD's drill is one of the best way to lock in targets and gain AP in FFA and to help my partner get a free kill in 2vs2. BD's square attacks have armor and are good for knock downs.

Any more tips would be appreciated before i either get my butt kicked or the opposite during my next match.

johngie

Neo Member
Nah, played on my vita, might be possible that jack recorded, dunno. Im gotta be honest, I have no idea what those technical terms, all I know is BD's drill is one of the best way to lock in targets and gain AP in FFA and to help my partner get a free kill in 2vs2. BD's square attacks have armor and are good for knock downs.

Any more tips would be appreciated before i either get my butt kicked or the opposite during my next match.

Ah I'll just repost what I said minus the technical stuff

his down square > up square combo is awesome, forward square is amazing, and his air forward square is godly.

Essentially, forward square is great for knockdown. You also take a step forward, so it can be used as a minesweeper with the right spacing. Knockdown an enemy in a corner and Big daddy becomes a god.

His down square attack combos into up square, which also combos into up square. That except for a split second in between attack startups, that entire string of attacks has super armor

Air forward square just has boatloads of armor and AP, plus a nice eject.

Zen

Banned
I wonder if Kat will be banned from TheRunback Spring Tournament now
http://youtu.be/OxQ7FVYSnms

She refuses to lose lvl 1 kill confirms like the badass she is.

Also reminder, PSABR Spring Tournament top 3 will be streamed tomorrow (Thursday) on
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

Tournament Update: Day 2 said:
A couple more good matches today!
sumonyou (2) vs flickyisme (0): Sumon's Fatty P was just too much for flick's spike to handle in the first round. Flick switched to zwoozse in the second round, but it wasn't enoughed, and sumon progressed to fight me. Flick will fight UncleFrofi in the losers bracket.
sumonyou (2) vs Jackissocool (1): I managed to pull through on the first match with my Sir Dan, defeating Fatty P with three solid level 2s, although Sumon got a double kill on me with a level 2. The next round, I got two kills on him with my 2, but two level 1 confirms and a nasty yolo 1 to finish it was too much for me. He embarassed me in a final match, where I got only a single kill and blew a couple level 1s. He took me out with all level 1 confirms, although I put up a pretty good fight. I could fight any of a great deal of people in the losers bracket.
KingK416 (2) vs Tyrone981 (0): Not much in the way of detail here, but Dante was no match for Big Daddy. King ill Fight Smash and Crash, and Tyrone will fight whoever loses to Smash and Crash.
StantheHobo (2) vs. Bunlantern (0): Parappa beat Ratchet here, although I don't know any of the details. Stan advances to fight to fight any of three people, and Bun will fight the loser of DohnVader and Sir-Trollface.
Keep up the fighting, everybody! Hopefully everyone will report in with their round 1 results within the next day or two.
http://www.reddit.com/r/psbattleroyale/comments/23tv5p/tournament_update_day_2/

Huh. Dem be some of my rules in that tourney.

Are you involved with the tourney? Any cool things about Radec most people might not know?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It would be amazing if we are getting sequel. I will be there with y'all for hype train after they reveal the game (or leaked)

Aye, a PS4 sequel would be awesome, especially if Sony actually went all out getting characters, and gave it a decent budget.

They'd need to with Smash Bros 4 coming so soon.

Ah I'll just repost what I said minus the technical stuff

his down square > up square combo is awesome, forward square is amazing, and his air forward square is godly.

Essentially, forward square is great for knockdown. You also take a step forward, so it can be used as a minesweeper with the right spacing. Knockdown an enemy in a corner and Big daddy becomes a god.

His down square attack combos into up square, which also combos into up square. That except for a split second in between attack startups, that entire string of attacks has super armor

Air forward square just has boatloads of armor and AP, plus a nice eject.

Alright, Ill try more square attacks and hopefully combos as well. Here i was thinking his down triangle was the best attack. Thanks, time to start practicing.

Zen

Banned
Welp, time to start practicing.

http://youtu.be/_gzZomfrMpA

Just-Tank said:
Santa Monica Studio Update & All-Stars
OPTIONS

152 replies 2039 views Edited 2 days ago
Hey everyone,

Now that the patch has been live for over a week, it's time for us to perk up again on communication. I purposely let the debates rage on here because it is 100% impossible for any balance opinions to be considered valid after only a few days on the patch. It's too easy to fly off the handle after a few days, everyone has their favorite characters, favorite strategies, we literally threw the book at you and said HEY....throw your old strategies out the window and start playing PlayStation All-Stars in a new strategic way. That is what seperates those who want to live in the past, and those who want to push a game forward.

We knew we wouldn't get it right, hell, we probably wouldn't even come close. You guys have kept this game going on your own, with a fire and passion unlike no other, it would be impossible for us to please everyone 100%.

So where are we right now? We cannot promise a 2nd patch, but I can promise you we're reading all feedback and evaluating any potential game-breaking, emergency level issues. We understand a balance patch of this magnitude may require tuning, but have yet to determine if we can.

For example - the issue Vita cross-player owners are having, unable to install the game, is our #1 priority right now that we hope to resolve asap in the next few days. This likely does not require a patch, but we've got all hands on deck to resolve.

We also do not intend to interrupt the Level-Up Runback tournament with any gameplay changes. That would not be fair to the tournament and those who are developing strategies, in addition to the MLG tourney coming up, and other weekend weekly's you guys are putting on.

Regarding balance, we hear you on some of the main issues being discussed:

- Spike, Toro, Zeus were not buffed enough
- Kat and Cole weren't nerfed enough
- Isaac was nerfed too much, though we feel this requires more time to adjust to
- There are still some unintented LVL1 confirms in the game, mainly for Cole, Fat Princess, and Jak - these may not be an issue in the long run
- The bottom line is the best characterrs in v1.11 got nerfed and all the worst characters got buffed. The gap between the best and worst characters is now much smaller than anyone expected, and those whose characters got worse are yelling the loudest.

We hear you, but please recognize, these changes are still very new and fresh and like any great fighting game, require time to evolve and adapt to. You cannot play this game the way you played it in v1.11, and why should you? That's no fun.

We're also aware of some code and online bugs, but cannot promise we have resources to address these.

We're here, listening, evaluating, and doing our absolute best to honor our committment to this community. We are proud of this patch and whether we patch again, or do not, we'll be supporting all community efforts and the online servers.

Keep the feedback coming, but please keep it structured.

Also - to those who keep creating "bait" threads for us (i.e. the forurms are dying, we don't care, X character is dead, etc)...please stop =) These forums are still the most popular in all of PlayStation, except for the General General Discussion and the always fun hell pit, Off-Topic.

Thanks,
Tank

http://community.us.playstation.com...io-Update-amp-All-Stars/td-p/43406708/page/11

KalBalboa

Banned
That post by Tank is pretty reassuring. For the amount of time and intricacy of my play style I put into AllStars, that last patch was pretty solid. Still, I'm glad they're listening to everyone.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Still cool to know that the PSASBR subforum is the most active game forum on the official PlayStation community website, although I think that website kind of lacks in activity overall. Still, it's got to say something about the game having a good fanbase.

Zen

Banned
That post by Tank is pretty reassuring. For the amount of time and intricacy of my play style I put into AllStars, that last patch was pretty solid. Still, I'm glad they're listening to everyone.

Given how people have discovered new, unintended, lvl 1 combo confirms with kat, hopefully we get a second patch, as the team is probably very adept at using the tools now.

Also le Dante:
Level 1 confirm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mclA5WFSg&list=UUPoLyg19dJzt089k22-pWrQ
Level 2 Confirm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbf8J7RcoGY&list=UUPoLyg19dJzt089k22-pWrQ&index=3

It is cool to see people really giving the game a second look now, the servers are more active than ever and people are continually discovering new confirms.

I hate that The Run Back banned the DLC characters again, if you are banning Kat why aren't you also banning flipping Drake!

Tournament Update: Day 3 said:
http://challonge.com/RedditSpring1v1PSABR
RikotheFoxKid (2) vs. mcheese (0): I beat /u/mcheese 2-0 in our match today. Both games were pretty close, with me gaining a quick lead, him turning it around, and then me finishing it off.
I was Jak and he was Heihachi for both games. - RtFK
RTFK advances to fight HeardstheWord. mchesse moves to the losers bracket to battle the loser of MckMitch and Goniloc.
KingBerger14 (0) vs. Lizardheart (2): In a shocking turn of events, I was 6 stocked by Liz on PS1 and PM1. He beat me with six corner setups for Ratchet's level 1. I believe it was 2 forward throws, 3 jab strings, and one forward square (not in that order). We had a few lag spikes, but nothing major enough to change the game. I'm not exactly a good player (certainly not with Radec), but I'd say Liz has still got it. - King B
Lizardheart will fight the winner of mblopes vs. MadTalDisease; KingBerger will fight the loser of that same match.
Toasty_Burger (2) vs. GeneralChaz (0): Round 1: Dante vs Sweet Tooth at Dojo. Back and forth with level 1's until we both had 1 life. He missed two level 1's and immediately after his second miss I hit him in the back with a level 1.
Round 2: Kat vs Sweet Tooth at Franzea. Hit him with a level 1 while he was landing. He retaliates with a level 1 of his own. I get in one more level 1 before he become a lot more evasive. I roll through an attack for the last level 1 kill. - Toasty_Burger.
T-Burg moves on to fight Smash and Crash in the battle of the century. GeneralChaz will fight Ayskidd (who's gunning to get his glory back) in the losers bracket.
I'm starting to get some company in the losers bracket, which isn't really all that bad - it's for those of us who like to live on the edge. I've got no idea what's going on with the top few matches in the bracket, so if I don't start hearing from them by tomorrow night there's gonna be hell to pay.
Keep on fighting the good fights! Earn those ten PSN bucks!

Zen

Banned
More Issac stuff for you :)

PlayStation All-Stars Ultimate Patch Update 1.12 Isaac Tutorial/Commentary Part 2

Signups for a month-long 1v1 tourney have started on the official forums

original

Signups close: Monday, May 5th @ 11:59MST
Tournament start: Wednesday, May 7th

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Title Fight! 9!

Hopefully you all are nice and comfy with your newly-balanced characters, as it's time to get back into the swing of things!
Signup by posting below with your main, and one sub. If you will be competing under another PSN ID please be sure to leave that as well.

**SPECIAL NOTES**

**NEW** There've been a couple of significant adjustments to the rules:
Kat is now legal.
Character selection is limited to one main and one sub

I have set up a chatango for this tournament. It is NOT to be used for score reporting, it is purely for your own convenience.

I reserve the right to refuse entry to this tournament to anyone, with or without a reason.

This tournament is open to those outside of this forum, howevere, the same rules apply to them as to everyone else. If they fail to communicate as specified by the rules, they will be bumped or DQed.

As well, please keep in mind that all match due dates are determined using Mountain Standard Time

BRACKET:

MOBILE BRACKET:

CHAT: http://title-fight.chatango.com/

If you wish to have your match recorded, please contact the following:

Deven3000 (via PSN message)
aeris_2pac (via forum PM or PSN message)
The_Afrokid (via forum PM [preferred] or PSN message)

Some basic info on the tournament:
-1v1
-Stock 3
-Best 2 out of 3
-Double elimination
-Kat is LEGAL
-2 days per match

Prizes
1st place: A shiny new custom forum rank, until a new victor is crowned
2nd: A round of applause
3rd : A high-five

If you can record or stream your matches, please do so and let me know, and I will be more than happy to add the vid or link into this OP.

Please note: This tournament will be double-elimination, meaning that if you lose, you are not completely out, and will still have a chance at ultimate glory.

Curious about stage striking, counter-picking, or seeding? Learn more here:

Stage Striking System

Neutrals
PS1
San Francisco
Metropolis

CPs
PS2
Dojo

In the event of two parties:
Host, Non - Host, Host. Host strikes first, Non - Host Strikes second and strikes 1 matches, play on remaining stage

If 3rd Party Host (In the event of connection issues or streaming purposes)
Lowest seed strikes first, Higher seed strikes next then lower seed strikes again.
Lower seed meaning that if seed 16 and seed 14 are playing. Seed 16 is the lower seed.

Players will only be seeded to top 16, after that seedings are based on participant list. So if for example two players are forced to play a match and they have to choose a neutral host and neither of them is seeded within the top 16 then whichever player signed up first has the higher seed. After this tournament an equation will be implemented to give everyone a seed so that in the future any player who has participated in a tournament will have an actual ranking.

(Thanks to vizionary2012 and Deven300!)

COMPETITORS
Jaxvex (Nariko / Kat)
iStriderVita-_- (Parappa / E. Cole)
ArnoldTheGoose (Ratchet / Dante)
Dudeoftime19 (Big Daddy / Kratos)
bjizzle121 (Toro / E. Cole)
FLOPPYJALOPPY (Isaac / Drake)
djdudemyster (Spike/ PaRappa)
TheJButton (Nariko / Sweet Tooth)
The_Afrokid (Fat Princess / Kat)
Telephone_Calls (Zeus / Kratos)
Squodo (Raiden / G. Cole)
*Alexieldark (Drake / Raiden)
*Julian74000 (Good Cole / Kratos)
ossiecastro5 (Sly / Zeus)
crashbfan64 (Sackboy / Toro)
tahu360 (Toro / Kat)
Ninja__Troll (Drake / Zeus)
fatdunk (Sir Dan / Parappa)
Potatoman622 (Sweet Tooth / Heihachi)
Lilslayertorres (Sly)
ps_chap (Sir Dan / Jak)
LetsConspire (Fat Princess / E. Cole)
Jaxvex (Nariko / Kat)
Deven3000 (Sly)
hilari0s (Emmett / Dante)
DarkNight274 (Dante / G. Cole)
flickyisme (Zeus / Big Daddy)
foxgtempset (Dante / Big Daddy)
LightTriforce (Sir Dan / Kat)
YoguiBR (Raiden / Kratos)
brent592 (Emmett / Jak)
HeardsTheWord (Heihachi / Sackboy)
PointlessNewb (Toro / Spike)
SynystergateSYN (Drake / Fat Princess)
Greatpitbull90 (Fat Princess / Radec)
Funcrazyfish (Toro / Radec)
MikeyNation (Zeus / Parappa)
Squish2364 (Big Daddy / Kratos)

**RULES**

*NEW* Kat is now legal.

*NEW* Character selection is limited to one main and one sub

I reserve the right to refuse entry to this tournament to anyone, with or without a reason.

This tournament is open to those outside of this forum, however, the same rules apply to them as to everyone else. If they fail to communicate as specified by the rules, they will be bumped or DQed.

I will be getting in on this one.

Zen

Banned
So one thing that I really do not get.

Deliberately disconnecting

Why is it common that people simply pull the plug if they are going to lose (either during the beginning when things are not going their way or during the 10 second countdown)?

Because from my experience a disconnect will net you a score that is -99, or simply put the worst possible in a match. As consequence you always seem to lose the most points possible if you are playing ranked, so doesnt it make more sense to stay in the game and minimize your losses?

Tournament Update: Week 2

http://challonge.com/RedditSpring1v1PSABR/log
Some big moves this time.
First, let's address five poor souls that have been dropped from the tournament completely. xKinto_un, Goniloc, SupBro23, Branflakes, and Backlong. Unfortunately for them, they have never once corresponded with me about their matches (Goniloc forfeited willingly due to scheduling issues, so don't shame him like the others). Despite repeated attempts at communication and (probably too much) patience, they failed to even indicate they would be playing their matches. All four of them have been forfeited out of the tournament. As a result, Dragonsroc advanced to fight Smash, The Rough Dream advanced to fight DohnVader, and Sir-Trollface advanced to an open match in the losers bracket. SupBro is sitting along the losers bracket, waiting to instantly forfeit to his next opponent.
Ok, real matches!
Smash_and_Crash (2) vs. KingK416 (0): Smash's dominance continues, and he advanced to fight Dragonsroc. KingK is seated comfortably in an open match in the losers bracket.
DohnVader (2) vs. TheRoughDream (0): Dohn continues his dominance as well, marching forward through the main bracket. TheRoughDream is way down the losers bracket now, waiting for like a dozen matches.
Sir-Trollface (2) vs. HeardstheWord (1): "Me and Sir-Trollface finally fought today. He played Toro, and I played Heihachi for the first match. He beat me bad. I switched to sackboy for the second match and won. He won the final match." - Heards
HtW was eliminated from the tournament, and Sir-Trollface advanced to have Bran forfeit to him.
Smash_and_Crash (2) vs. Dragonsroc (0): Another double win for Smash; he continues to absolutely tear up the brackets. Smash advanced to fight Dohn. Dragonsroc moves parallel to TheRoughDream in the losers bracket.
StantheHobo (2) vs. RikotheFoxKid (0): "I just finished my match with /u/E-tank and got 2-0'd by him. XD
Round 1 I was Jak and he was PaRappa. We ended up going to San Fran and he soundly pummeled me to a pulp; the only Super I was able to launch was a Level 2 that got interrupted by his Level 2.
Round 2 he decided to stick with PaRappa, so I decided to test the waters and see how my Kat fared. We went to Rival Arena and he got an early 2-stock lead on me. I managed to turn it around with two Up-throw into Level 2 confirms, but he made it to his Level 2 and I was unable to escape as his skateboard neeeeeeever stopped. :p
Overall some fun matches despite losing." -RtFK
Stan advances to fight the winner of MadTalDisease and Liz, and RtFK awaits the victor of BushLovesOsama vs. Matimoo.
Smash_and_Crash (2) vs. DohnVader (0): "I made some silly mistakes with the way I approached him. I ran into a few of his traps, and he managed to get lvl 3 in the first match. I tried uppercutting when he had me on hard knockdown, but the nerf makes jabs beat it. Luckily, I got a lvl 2 and managed to land the throw confirm and the platform confirm. Similar thing happened in the second match, except he used 2 lvl 2s instead of a lvl 3, and I managed to land 3 lvl 2s on him. Both matches were really close, and he made my hands sweat." - Smash
Dohn's dohnminance comes to an end (for now) at the hands of Smash. He proved himself a worthy challenger, clearly, and is not far from winning the losers bracket and fighting to reclaim the title. I can only imagine the ferocity of this fight and I hope our later big matches get recorded!
If I missed your fight here or in the bracket, please let me know! It was a busy weekend and I might have slipped up. The tournament is now at its halfway point in terms of matches. It's moving in fits and starts - we'll have a day with no matches, and then six the next. As long as it averages out at about the pace it's moving now I'm alright.
AysKidd: Your match will be set tomorrow. I promise.

KalBalboa

Banned
So one thing that I really do not get.

Deliberately disconnecting

Why is it common that people simply pull the plug if they are going to lose (either during the beginning when things are not going their way or during the 10 second countdown)?

Because from my experience a disconnect will net you a score that is -99, or simply put the worst possible in a match. As consequence you always seem to lose the most points possible if you are playing ranked, so doesnt it make more sense to stay in the game and minimize your losses?

Tournament Update: Week 2

I've done it a few times, but only when people start doing the teabagging thing.

Top Bottom