• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

SmithnCo

Ejecting AP while taunting? Might be useful for team matches. You can also go back to a previous super if you overshot it which is nice.

These patch notes are actually sounding quite good, just wish this came out earlier.

Blu(e)

Does anyone know if the game is active still or have people (not from here) been waiting for this patch to jump back in?

Nev

Banned
Not sure if less AP per throw the higher the bar is is a good idea. Dissapointed they didn't come up with a combo breaker in exchange for AP. The rest looks good.

^ It is active. Don't know why though considering its current state.

SmithnCo

Not sure if less AP per throw the higher the bar is is a good idea. Dissapointed they didn't come up with a combo breaker in exchange for AP. The rest looks good.

Throwing could be really annoying before so I'm good with that. Especially for characters like Zeus, who was completely screwed by throwing. Hopefully that and the frame changes online will lower the dependence on throwing.

Zen

Banned
I kind of wish Sony would do a cheap port of this game to PS4, F2P with new DLC characters and stages, updated as new PS4 stuff comes out.

Or just make a sequel... :(

Nev

Banned
Dont get too excited, online still revolves around spamming the cheap, unpunishable retarded move for the braindead level 1 killconfirm.

I'm not going to bother with this garbage again, it was the last opportunity. This was expected since the "super-only" bullshit though. Such a wasted opportunity. Oh well, thank god Super Smash Flash 2 is getting online multiplayer soon.

Camjo-Z

I'm still downloading this massive patch so I won't cast too much judgement, but from these patch notes I'm reading it seems like there are quite a few good fixes they made and quite a few idiotic things they left in/altered. I'll be able to say more after I've played for a while.

Nev

Banned
I can confirm that cheap kill confirms such as the blinding shit from Kratos, down whatever from Zeus, air neutral square from ST, and the Cole spammable, absolutely safe ice ball are still in the game.

Do not bother hopping back. The 1gb of the patch are not worth it, this game is done.

Zen

Banned
I can confirm that cheap kill confirms such as the blinding shit from Kratos, down whatever from Zeus, air neutral square from ST, and the Cole spammable, absolutely safe ice ball are still in the game.

Do not bother hopping back. The 1gb of the patch are not worth it, this game is done.

Whatever bud. I am not a huge fan of simple kill confirms either, but people have been playing this game all year, its not like we should have expected them to remove all confirms anyway. The game is not suddenly dead because they did not remove all of them, and there are a lot of changes here to consider and measure.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm a big fan of all the changes, not to mention the official video put up on the PlayStation YouTube channel. Feels like the old days of hype.

Zen

Banned
Thoughts just reading patch notes

Raiden got hit with some nerfs. While his hit confirms are still there, his level 1 and 2 are weaker than before and he cool down/starup increases and restrictions on him mean that he has to telegraph everything even more now.

So still hit confirms, but overall changes that should have happened and you have more chances for escape with his level 2 even if you get caught in it (and his level 1 provided he does not hit confirm it).

Jak overall improvement, with his moves having more slight movement properties, some of his moves getting AOE upgrades, and in general just making him more mobile and viable during a fight.

Radec. Not many changes, mostly helping him hit small characters reliably, but:

D+Square now generates 20 AP (previously 10) and causes a stagger drop reaction

Nom nom nom nom Yes please! Are you kidding me!

Sackboy got a level 3 nerf! Wooooooooo!
Level 3 Super now begins with a 70-frame taunt to give the helpless bubbles a head start.

Just going to drop the sly notes here because while I do not think that they go far enough, they are good changes and fuck you sly and your stupid annoying level 3.

Neutral Circle and air neutral Circle counter attack recovery has been increased by 4 frames, making it -2 on block.

U+Circle now reflects projectiles during frames 9-24 while hopping into the barrel only, and air U+Circle reflects projectiles during frames 17-30 only.

U+Circle barrel exit now requires a successful or blocked hit to be canceled into air attacks, double jump, and hover.

D+Circle explosion now launches opponents 10% higher.

Up Throw recovery has been reduced by 2 frames.

L1 invisibility now reduces Sly’s movement speed by 25% and his transparency level decreases from 90% to 67% after 2 seconds.

Level 1 Super no longer becomes invincible at any point during recovery (previously invincible during frames 34-57).

Zen

Banned
I think they increased the gamma on the Vita version slightly, things are easier to track. EDIT: Unless I am crazy, they absolutely have, and it looks a lot better now, at least for Vita. They have also fixed the glitch where long match search times could default your character to random.

Also, this patch is pretty awesome. It feels like the game got a huge polish pass because with throws etc standardized and all the glitches cleaned up, everything is much more consistent and fair.

Also weapons now ejecting medium AP is a great change and makes item pickups have the importance in the matchup that they should have had to begin with.

Someone was saying that they said on the forums that 30k unique people play the game every day, there abouts. So the game is still active.

SSReborn

Any kill confirm that required the character to charge fully before hitting was never a problem to begin with in the case of Zeus and Kratos do not see the issue. The Sweet Tooth one is an easy read and I do not believe the Cole one will be an issue either it was never very reliable to begin with against great players. Overall I would say they did good.

But who knows if they will find new ones to replace the old hit confirms.

Welp, Jak still sucks, confirm kills suck the fun out of every match, Raiden & Kratos still super over powered, music cuts off completely during some online matches, same thing for the menu music. I've given this game way too many chances as it is.

I'm out.

Zen

Banned
Certainly seems more stable i played a lot today and only got one spaz out. Great patch, I have been messing around with Jak some and while he could still use some help, I am so glad that they did not revert him to his original state. It was like fighting Drake in melee range the entire game with combos you could never really avoid once his loops got started.

In the span of 5hours of matchmaking, I have only gotten 3 stable connected matches and 1 match where the host quit in the middle of his smackdown. Ok, there seems to be increased stability but the 0314-0101 errors still keep happening post patch. I supposed I hoped too much for SSM to listen to a minority of people that have this issue :L

Does it happen on PS3, wired versus wireless? That sounds unbearable man :(

Wireless, both PS3 and vita. It cant be my wireless connection, seeing as I can connect other online games easily. U3 MP, TLOU MP and KZ Mercenary all work perfectly fine. Just PSASBR and yes, it is. Love the game to bits but the matchmaking issues slowly kills my interest.

Zen

Banned
Have you tried to disable the UPNp on your router? Have you tried to connect on other networks and still had the problem?

You can apparently disable it on your PS3 as well, something that was used to eleviate connection issues with Fifa
http://youtu.be/Zs_w00Oq5pI

Alternatively it could be that your router does not have this feature enabled and your PS3 does or vice versa

Here are the ports that the game uses
https://support.us.playstation.com/.../~/firewall-port-numbers-to-play-games-online'

You can try making sure that both the PS3 and your router have UPNp enabled, and then go in and make sure to manually open the ports that the PS3/PSABR uses. It might be something that oddly only affects PSASBR because they suck or something.

I dunno, hopefully you have not already tried this, and it also works.

Camjo-Z

Wow, they really destroyed Sackboy's teleporter. Now he can't place it anywhere unless he's only jumped once? Not only does this basically defeat the point of the move (because when is anybody going to come across Sackboy's helpless teleporter within attacking distance and not take a second to destroy it) but it also pretty much ruins his spring, since placing teleporters in high spots was its main function. Coupled with the jelly and Level 3 nerf, he's definitely moving down on the tier list.

On the flip side, I like the changes they made to Sir Dan. His supers are still going to be forever shitty in comparison to everyone else, but being able to turn after a hit with his shield is godlike for gaining AP and then skedaddling, and the lower AP cost for his Level 1 gives allows him to whiff a super or two without feeling like you totally blew it.

Zen

Banned
He also has a couple more combo branches that he did not before, I think they did an awesome job with him. His supers still are not very good, but his overall game is much stronger now.

As an aside, I was watching an apparently hardcore PSABR guy stream the new patch yesterday and he thought that the new patch might kill the game because

They made the top tier characters that most people play worse than they were

lol, no! Anything but that!

ne disappointing thing for me with this patch is that they didn't fix Dante's empty cancel exploit.

My favorite thing is bar none the Hazzards and Items now ejecting medium AP. It makes the game so much better and feel balanced and dynamic in a way it never did before.

Camjo-Z

Also, is it just me or did this patch make the netcode even worse than it was before? I was playing fine the past few days, and now I can rarely get into a match without it either saying "host quit" before the game even starts or just lagging me out entirely.

Plus (and this may just be for the Vita version) there are a ton of sound glitches. I've played matches in multiplayer AND single-player where the music didn't play.

Zen

Banned
Hopefully they release a hotfix patch. You have to wonder just how sloppy the coding for this game was what with all the apparent issues. For me (on Vita) the music always cuts out the first time search for a game, and there have been like two times out of 10 where it seemed like someones level 3 bugged out (maybe they were taunting by mistake?).

But aside from that I get off slightly scot free compared to others :\

Alright, tried the disabling UPNP thing, didnt seem to fix it :L Guess I'll have to stick with quick match and tapping in and out constantly. Pre-patch that was my only solution to finding people to play with. Maybe one day SSM will iron out all these annoying online errors. Based on this Ultimate patch though, its gonna take months :I

Oh and Good Cole spammers still exist, ugh. My BD always get juggled by these guys.

Some whiners should be happy that many of level 1 KCs are gone. Not all, but some. Even Dante's empty cancel no longer connects to level 1.

I havent met that many netcode problems. If anyone complains about errors in online matches, it might be because people ragequit and cause errors lol. Oddly enough, I think the game needs to load longer to boot up for some reason.

Decent patch. Atleast it went into right direction this time.

Piccoro

Alright, tried the disabling UPNP thing, didnt seem to fix it :L Guess I'll have to stick with quick match and tapping in and out constantly. Pre-patch that was my only solution to finding people to play with. Maybe one day SSM will iron out all these annoying online errors. Based on this Ultimate patch though, its gonna take months :I

Oh and Good Cole spammers still exist, ugh. My BD always get juggled by these guys.

Hassan, what area are you from? I'm from Europe and the Online is also crap. Pre-patch and after patch is the same.
But some people are saying they don't experience online problems, I have a feeling the online only works better in the US...

Hassan, what area are you from? I'm from Europe and the Online is also crap. Pre-patch and after patch is the same.
But some people are saying they don't experience online problems, I have a feeling the online only works better in the US...

Im currently in Asia, SE Asia to be specific and yeah, nothing seems to have changed for the networking here either. Still getting the familiar 0314-0101 errors. Now, Im interested to know if anyone in the US has the same issues as well.

Piccoro

I either get that 0314-0101 error, or it takes about 10 minutes to find a match and when it does, it hangs at the stage intro and a "can't connect to host" error appears.

Same man. My solution for these errors is to let it try to find a match for a minute or so then stop and go again. Works well for quick match, not so much for FFA. SSM really needs to focus on fixing their online components now.

Evilisk

Also, is it just me or did this patch make the netcode even worse than it was before? I was playing fine the past few days, and now I can rarely get into a match without it either saying "host quit" before the game even starts or just lagging me out entirely.

Plus (and this may just be for the Vita version) there are a ton of sound glitches. I've played matches in multiplayer AND single-player where the music didn't play.

Sound glitch happened to me too on training mode in the PS3 version

Also, PSA: Jak has a new kill confirm. It's nothing as ridiculous or as easy some past kill confirms but it's something

Top Bottom