• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Zen

Banned
What sort of broad changes would you make to the game, or the sequel that will never happen?

I wish the game incorporate the smash style flight time modifier based on damage, but instead lessened the with the more AP you got . Maybe that is a really stupid idea, but it would keep opponents who were down on AP from being perpetual punching bags for some stupid combo that can not be escaped until AP burst, and create a more tension and opportunity cost for players as the AP was being generated, since someone getting good kits off on another might be then more vulnerable to a full combo in return, and it would equalize AP/super potential for both players while reducing proximity at the same time. This would also help eliminate juggle abuse by characters like Kratos.

In addition to that I would reduce the AP you get from combos in general if the game is to be so combo focused. Since many combos can not be escaped and have huge gains, again based off a very simple initiate. Having harsher AP combo decay in conjunction with the higher and higher AP requirements of level 2 and 3 and my idea for bounce decay would create situations where combos were necessary to efficiently unlocking your more powerful attacks, but would only be an option later into the fight. No more getting a huge lead in the level 1-2 range simply because you hit X and connected some time during the fight early on.

This would also help create a soft come back mechanic for players that are losing, as it would be easier to chain and combo a player with higher AP and they might be open to confirms off of lower level supers while the losing player is not.

Maybe I am completely off base.

Secondly, I do not really like hit confirms, since combos are so simple in this game some characters become ridiculously lethal at even level 1, since it just becomes a situation of someone having to hit one button to basically then have 100% chance of getting a kill. If you are going to have them, the initiate needs to be very obvious, like Raiden (who has a lot of them, but I digress). But then again I think the changes to bounce and AP generation would alter how strong hit confirms are in general.

So in summary

• Bounce/air time modifier like Smash Brothers, but the more AP you have the less you bounce
  • Heavier AP decay on combos
  • Possibly less hit confirms, or hit confirms that only work when your opponent is in a certain AP level or environmental situation

Part of the problem with the game is that the styles and tactics are very static from the beginning of the game to the end. I mean take a look at how this match starts out looking dynamic and exciting and kind of becomes Simon says by the end.

http://youtu.be/fZ_Xxl8CdjI

Camjo-Z

I'd want to see the combo and hit confirm stuff dropped entirely. It just doesn't work in a game designed around four players duking it out. It should be more about knowing the characters' moves and using them in the right situation rather than repeating the same exact combo over and over to get maximum meter.

Zen

Banned
I seem to remember people hated the fact that SSB Brawl took out combos, but how combo oriented was Melee to begin with?

Maybe a combo break mechanic would work? Not sure though. Hit confirms can go unless they are obvious and not combo enders.

That is why I do not have much of a problem with Raidens confirms even though he has like a million of them. I feel like confirms sort of need to exist if only to actually close matches out.

Camjo-Z

THIS IS IT FOLKS

Mar 31, 2014

Hey folks,

No patch release this week, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

But next week, I am told probability is extremely high. I will not lay my head down under a guillotine just yet with a promise of the exact day, but we are very much on track for release, finally, next week. This week we are submitting for final QA approval and expect to be approved before the weekend. Assuming that, we are free and clear to deploy.

I think everyone can hang on another week, we extremely appreciate it.

Thanks, more soon

Tank

Finally we get to see if that patch we've been waiting nearly a year for was really worth it!

Zen

Banned
It probably took them so long because

1) They had to learn how to work with all of Superbots tools
2) The game is actually a nightmare to balance tweak because of the super system and how you generate AP
3) There were like 3 guys working on it during their spare time

I'm prepared for extreme disappointment, but if Jak gets a buff, I may download it again and keep it for more than a day this time.

Also, we may get some patch notes in the coming days after April Fools. Hey the last Jak game was announced on a April Fools '09. Memories.

Zen

Banned
I am hoping for some somewhat daring changes to the game as a whole. I mean, it is not as if there are a ton of people to piss off.

But I would settle for a truly balanced game based around the mechanics as they currently are.

I would be appreciative of even a noticeable improvement in overall balance.

Also the game plays much better with item spawn on high.

Camjo-Z

Also, we may get some patch notes in the coming days after April Fools.

Just_Tank just posted some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 1, 2014

Hey folks,

I know it's April Fool's, but trust me when I say that these patch notes are no joke! Enjoy this snippet of what's to come!

- All of Kratos' moves are now unblockable
- Raiden can now land his Level 1 from any move
- Toro has been removed from the game
- Fat Princess's ninja costume picture reverted back to original version
- Due to a bug, when playing Spike any button press will make him taunt, yell "I'm still better than you!", and then die

Thanks for waiting, there's more coming soon!

Tank

(In all seriousness, he did actually post this:)

Jonathan Outridge ‏@ItzKhknight 19h
@Just_Tank why no patch notes? That will make the wait less painful

Aaron Kaufman ‏@Just_Tank
@ItzKhknight Will post some up after April Fools is over :)

Zen

Banned
My mind processed it as

Kratos can no longer block

Out of sheer survival instinct to stop brain for realizing the supposed true horror.

I am really excited about this patch, even if it is just an improvement.

Fake patch notes like this give me a good feel towards the idea that they understand the issues, re Kratos and Raiden.

Camjo-Z

Knack characterrr!!!! Wooo!

That actually was pretty good. (This is what we're talking about in case you didn't see it) Knack would definitely be an awesome choice for a sequel, in any case. I imagine him having a gimmick where he grows larger the closer he gets to Level 3, making him more powerful but easier to hit.

Just_Tank just posted some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Fat Princess's ninja costume picture reverted back to original version

Judging by the other stuff you lumped this in with you would regard this as a bad thing, but i'd applaud them for changing it back. The mini costume pack which includes her ninja skin is the only one i bought and half of the appeal for me was that hilariously goofy portrait of hers. I actually felt ripped off when they changed it later on.

Edit:

Wait a minute! Since when are the four 3rd party costumes from the preorder dlc on the store, and for free no less? I'm talking about these:

• Big Daddy Plushy costume.
• Coatless Dante costume.
• Mishima Coat costume.
• Blue Raiden costume.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...pack/cid=EP9000-BCES01436_00-HEAVYHITTERS0001

They were left out of the big bundle costume bundle (likely too much of a mess splitting up the royalties between the IP owners), but i seem to remember them saying once that if these ever came they would be free. Did i miss an official announcement when they put these up? Anyway, that's great, these were my favorite alt costumes out of the initial batch, so i'm happy to have them.

Edit 2:

Oh wow, apparently the heavy hitters dlc dropped last august/september, i've been completely out of the loop.

http://community.us.playstation.com...itters-quot-Costumes-Now-on-PSN/td-p/41450445

Sponge

Banned
That actually was pretty good. (This is what we're talking about in case you didn't see it) Knack would definitely be an awesome choice for a sequel, in any case. I imagine him having a gimmick where he grows larger the closer he gets to Level 3, making him more powerful but easier to hit.

If a sequel were to happen, Knack, and Iota would be perfect.

Zen

Banned
I had some sort of hope that the comment about not dropping the patch notes on April Fools meant that we would be getting them today.

Camjo-Z

I had some sort of hope that the comment about not dropping the patch notes on April Fools meant that we would be getting them today.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the patch notes are being delayed for 8 months. Please understand.

Camjo-Z

jk here are some patch notes:

Bombarded on Twitter is an understatement, but yes, we know you want the full list of patch notes to whet your appetite for the impending release of this massive balance update.

First, we are not going to post the full list until the patch is out, because otherwise, the "Clash of Clans" on this forum will start too early, and completely unbalance the good vibes that are building. Just about any game that does post launch support does not post the full list prior for this very reason, and having been a Community Manager for 8 years, I am not going to break this sacred rule of thumb.

But your patience has been incredible and I hope you find that it has paid off.

Here are a few General Changes to whet your appetite. I will look to update this thread with some more later this week, but please do not expect a full list or anything extensive until the patch comes out.

Some General Changes in the upcoming Balance Update:

Every character’s throw attempts have been standardized to 9 startup frames, 3 active frames, and 18 recovery frames, with the exception of Isaac, Kat, and Ratchet.

The minimum effective range of throws has been increased to 1 meter (previously 0.75m) for all characters except Parappa, Sackboy, and Toro.

In online matches, jumping out of an opponent’s throw attempt is now resolved through the throw clash system.

Every character’s air dodge has been standardized to 27 invincible frames followed by 9 vulnerable frames (previously 29 invincible plus 7 vulnerable).

Every character’s directional rolls have been standardized to 18 invincible frames followed by 16 vulnerable frames, with the exception of Fat Princess, Spike, and Zeus.

Characters can no longer perform actions for 3 frames after landing from air idle.

Characters can no longer double jump during down tech.

Landing during down tech or down tech canceled into air dodge now triggers the same recovery as landing during an attack.

Getting hit in the air no longer renews a character’s double jump ability.

Cheers,
Tank

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Some-Patch-Notes-You-Say/m-p/43282782#M572658

I can see why he's not posting the full list until the patch comes out, everyone would go apeshit before they can actually test it for themselves. In any case, I don't understand much about frames, so the only thing I take away from these notes is that Toro can't keep jumping after getting hit in the air to extend his air sleep.

beat

In any case, I don't understand much about frames,
I think it's a good move to standardize throw and dodge timings as much as possible.

This seems like a pretty intense amount of work; it's pretty cool that SSM is paying for that much maintenance and post-release polish.

SSM will also be hosting a spring tournament series: http://www.levelup-series.com/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-spring-tournament-at-the-runback/

To coincide with the upcoming balance patch release, @SonySantaMonica and Level Up are spicing things up at The Runback with an amazing Spring Tournament series for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale(PSABR)! In celebration of the update, competitors will get a chance to win select Sony game titles & merchandise including a PlayStation 4! We're also keeping track of every player attending the PSABR tournament series for a bonus prize. The player with the most entries in the season will be awarded "Most Dedicated Player" and earn a PlayStation 4 for their continued support of the title!

Blu(e)

I think it's a good move to standardize throw and dodge timings as much as possible.

This seems like a pretty intense amount of work; it's pretty cool that SSM is paying for that much maintenance and post-release polish.

SSM will also be hosting a spring tournament series: http://www.levelup-series.com/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-spring-tournament-at-the-runback/

Wow that sounds awesome. I'll try to download this again to see if I can back into it. Will still need to read the patch notes to see if they change it for the better and get rid of the current imbalances.

I went to super arcade to play when it was still on Wednesday Night Fights. I just happened to go the Wednesday they stopped having Playstation All Stars :,[

This makes me want to pick it up and play again though.

Nev

Banned
How are they gonna hold a tournament with the patched version when it's not out for people to get used to it?

Oh, probably because it will still be Kratos x4 or Kratos x3 & Raiden x1.

Nev

Banned
So the patch is coming June 25th.

I don't know why I care anyways, it will probably fuck the balance even more. I'd only care if they removed all the fucking hitconfirms in a game where they're not hitconfirms, they're fucking KILLconfirms. Where are the risks of using levels 1 instead of going for the supposedly safer 2 and 3? When you can spam ice bolts as Cole or forward square as Raiden (to name the two most retarded) with 0 punishement until you get the confirm and get an easy kill, why use anything other but guaranteed easy level 1 kills or characters that don't have this?

I swear to god Clockwork and Seth Killian worked as janitors at Superbot, because the amount of stupidity in terms of balance in this game seems to be done by monkeys, and they're allegedly "renown" fighting personalities. What a joke. The menus are fucking awful btw, they're the most offensive pile of vomit to ever come out the last generation and the two previous. Always good to remind this.

Camjo-Z

So the patch is coming June 25th.

The patch comes out next week.

As for the hit confirm thing, honestly I would love to see them all taken out. It's very easy to see how the supers were intended to be:

Level 1: Takes a little meter, but hard to land (See: PaRappa)
Level 2: Takes a lot of meter but is a more reliable option (See: Kratos)
Level 3: Takes full meter but ensures you'll get plenty of kills (See: Emmett)

...and yet none of the characters follow this blueprint exactly. You get braindead hit confirms into Level 1's, borderline useless Level 2's, and wildly unbalanced Level 3's that some characters have no choice but to go for and others who don't even need to consider them. If they fix anything in the patch it really had better be this.

Zen

Banned
"In online matches, jumping out of an opponent’s throw attempt is now resolved through the throw clash system."

This change has been the most confusing for players out of everything Tank posted yesterday. This is a post dedicated to going in-depth to better explain the change and how it could possibly affect PSA's gameplay.

First, let's take a look at what's being affected. Throw attempts on jumping opponents, basically when one player goes for a grab and the other tries to jump out to escape the grab. This can occur during tick throw setups and grab "resets".

The next thing to note about this change is that it affects online gamplay only. The reason for this is that jumps offline are invincible to grabs on frame 1 already. However, due to netcode, players online will often get vaccumed in during the 10 frames of jump startup.

So what happens now? Well, instead of vaccuming, a throw clash will occur. If you've ever grabbed at the same time as your opponent, you know there's a specific animation for trading grabs where both players kind of twitch backwards like they touched something really nasty. That's a throw clash. Now, instead of getting grabbed during the first 10 frames of your jump, a throw clash will occur on the opponent's screen while you get a jump out and possible punish if your character is capable.

So how will this affect the game? Mostly in grab reset combos and okizeme. Offline, every ToD besides Dante's is supposed to be escapeable via jumping due to jumps being grab invincible on frame 1. Online this doesn't work, but now you can clash mid-ToD or mid-grab reset combo to even the playing field. Instead of comboing into grabs, preforming a grab reset will now be a read. On wakeup, jumping out of grabs will be more consistent online.

I hope this helped some of you understand this patch change. Everything here was verified by various players, including Bamsama.

Nev

Banned
It's not coming in June, it was a joke because everytime there's an estimated date "from A to Z", you have to assume it's gonna be Y.

beat

It's not coming in June, it was a joke because everytime there's an estimated date "from A to Z", you have to assume it's gonna be Y.
Then I think your bitterness is definitely getting in the way, cause what I meant was that the tournament would be weekly over that time range, not that the patch release would occur weekly over that range.

Camjo-Z

More patch notes!!

10. All timed transformation Level 2 Supers can now be ended manually by pressing L2.

11. The AP eject formula has been refined to drain a higher percentage of AP orbs at low levels and a lower percentage of AP orbs at high levels:

0.333xAP if AP<=150
0.0667x(AP-150)+50 if 150<AP<600
0.1333xAP if AP>=600

(Previously, AP eject amounts were calculated using fixed percentages: 3/5/10% for items and 10/12.5/15% for throws.)

12. Throws have been grouped into two general categories:

--- Throws that cause eject or flatten reactions eject Heavy amounts of AP orbs.

--- Throws which act as combo starters eject Light amounts of AP orbs (33% of Heavy).

-- Jak’s Up Throw and Sweet Tooth’s Up Throw eject Medium amounts of AP orbs (67% of Heavy).

13. Throws, items, level hazards, and other AP eject attacks now produce 50% more orbs during 2X AP Overtime, 100% more orbs during 3X AP Overtime, and 150% more orbs during 4X AP Overtime. AP multipliers no longer increase the value of individual orbs.

14. Explosion radii of all mines have been standardized to 0.375 meters, explosion durations have been standardized to 8 frames, and maximum lifetimes have been standardized to 5 seconds.

15.Double-tapping L2 now causes characters to eject 50 AP as orbs while taunting.

16. All character-specific combo tutorials have been revised in light of the following changes.

The mine standardization means Isaac mine camping should be no more, I think. And the double-tap L2 thing basically confirms that Heihachi's charge will be nerfed (as it should have been in the first place), since allowing him to generate 100 AP anywhere would completely break the game.

EDIT: Wait, yes, he confirms that his charge is nerfed in #13. That's good.

Top Bottom