• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | June 2015

Prelude.

So, I don't know what's World of FF but it might be cool. Maybe. If it's not f2p.

I was kinda pissed off during the announcement since I was thinking "Did they seriously develop a game like this just for the PS4? Fucking really?" but then I started noticing that the resolution was kinda weird for a PS4-only game and at the end the Vita logo popped up so everything was fine.

Also, 2 seconds of P4D! Thank you, Sony.

eFKac

I was not despising the value or the quality of those games, i was just saying that sony presented lots of "megatons", but some of those are not exclusives so they won't really change anything, if sony put more money to make them real exclusives sony would have won not only this e3, but this entire generation, instead i could still skip the ps4 because sooner or late i will proably be able to buy ffxv, ffvii, Shenmue 3 and other big games on pc(and probably xb1 too).

Such a weird line of thinking.

Sony won the generation already since 2014.

You could skip the PS4, but you could as well skip the xbone, cause you can for sure get all the games on PS4 (majority of games announced yesterday are not coming to the Xbone though) and you can skip getting a PC cause you definitely will have all the big games on the PS4.

Autoduelist already explained you the most probable Shenmue situation.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Such a weird line of thinking.

Sony won the generation already since 2014.

You could skip the PS4, but you could as well skip the xbone, cause you can for sure get all the games on PS4 (majority of games announced yesterday are not coming to the Xbone though) and you can skip getting a PC cause you definitely will have all the big games on the PS4.

Autoduelist already explained you the most probable Shenmue situation.

If i were you i wouldn't say that sony has already won, with dx12 and win10 integration the xb1 could have big surprises.

Those games had the potential to close today the race for this gen, instead sony just went for temporal exclusivity, it's definitely a huge missed opportunity. Is it clear now what i was trying to say?

NIER has hands down one of the most beautiful soundtracks of all time. Hoping they manage to capture that same feel I got whenever one of the tracks came on during the game in this one

Prelude.

cho2xklwiaacqzynnpyg.jpg

Happening

eFKac

If i were you i wouldn't say that sony has already won, with dx12 and win10 integration the xb1 could have big surprises.

Those games had the potential to close today the race for this gen, instead sony just went for temporal exclusivity, it's definitely a huge missed opportunity. Is it clear now what i was trying to say?

I say it with 100% confidence. Unless something absolutely unimaginable happens like xbone 199$ starting next week, 99$ for the holiday, crazy MS moneyhatting frenzy I mean CoD, GTA, TES, FIFA exclusive, this gen is in PS4s pocket, PS4 would have to be discountinued today in US and I imagine EU and RotW would still make the PS4 tied with the Xbone lifetime.

And I sincerely think that you way overestimate the potential of yesterday's game announcements in today's market, Shenmue will still fill it's 2 million sales niche at best, World of FF better be F2P, FF7R is a wild card that may spark a resurgence in jRPG popularity in the West, but I doubt it. It will still sell great no doubt.

Thing is, Uncharted 4 should outsell those games combined and it's PS4 exclusive (this series is selling like 7 million per game on average and is on an upswing), couple that with the sales potential of Horizon if it turns out as good as the reveal and those are the games that you should be talking about.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lol. I was just thinking that I don't particularly want any of those mobile games on Vita (Tomb Raider Go too).

They look pretty pants.
Why? Hitman go is considered a good game, lara Croft go will be similar and khu looks fun, i would have been happy to get them, and in any case better than getting nothing at all :\

I say it with 100% confidence. Unless something absolutely unimaginable happens like xbone 199$ starting next week, 99$ for the holiday, crazy MS moneyhatting frenzy I mean CoD, GTA, TES, FIFA exclusive, this gen is in PS4s pocket, PS4 would have to be discountinued today in US and I imagine EU and RotW would still make the PS4 tied with the Xbone lifetime.

And I sincerely think that you way overestimate the potential of yesterday's game announcements in today's market, Shenmue will still fill it's 2 million sales niche at best, World of FF better be F2P, FF7R is a wild card that may spark a resurgence in jRPG popularity in the West, but I doubt it. It will still sell great no doubt.

Thing is, Uncharted 4 should outsell those games combined and it's PS4 exclusive (this series is selling like 7 million per game on average and is on an upswing), couple that with the sales potential of Horizon if it turns out as good as the reveal and those are the games that you should be talking about.

Maybe you are right, maybe i'm overestimating the scale of those games(but am i really overestimating a game capable of getting 2 millions got in less than 9 hour by showing ugly characters and qte gameplay?) but you shouldn't underestimate the concurrents, especially if they can count on directx 12 and Windows 10 integration, or the stupidity of sony, lots of things can go wrong.

I wish I could be at E3 right now

Maybe you are right, maybe i'm overestimating the scale of those games(but am i really overestimating a game capable of getting 2 millions got in less than 9 hour by showing ugly characters and qte gameplay?) but you shouldn't underestimate the concurrents, especially if they can count on directx 12 and Windows 10 integration, or the stupidity of sony, lots of things can go wrong.
Take single look at at worldwide sales or general seniments around the Xbox One outside US. There is nothing MS can do, and they had certainly nothing in their conference that will have any impact.
Sony won more than enough support of the hardcore fans with what they did, no reason to throw more money at it for absolutely no return.

Why? Hitman go is considered a good game, lara Croft go will be similar and khu looks fun, i would have been happy to get them, and in any case better than getting nothing at all :\

Haven't heard of Hitman Go. Was it shown at the conference?

That Kingdom Hearts Mobile game seemed like the kind of thing I wouldn't look twice at if it didn't have Kingdom Hearts in the title. Sorry, I didn't think it looked very good at all.

Kudo

Please hold me.. Fallout 4, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, FF 7 Remake, Star Ocean 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Nier 2, Dark Souls 3, Summer Lesson, Project SETSUNA.. I'm too happy I feel dizzy.

eFKac

Shenmue's ks performance is impressive, but it's still just 33k very devoted backers right now, it may end up at maybe 150-170k How will it translate to real world sales? I'm rather confident in my around 2 million tops for Shenmue 3, maybe 3 million as it comes out on both PC/PS4.

Dude don't drink the DX12 koolaid, Xbone already has a very low level API, it may proove useful for porting between PC and Xbone for lazier devs and indies.

W10 integration is cool, but I don't see how it will expand Xbox consumer base in a significant way. I feel like the limited BC may sway more 360 owners than W10 integration. What I feel it shows is that Microsoft is slowly backing out of traditional console hardware.

Only maybe "gamechanger" imo is Hololens, but it looks like it's still lightyears away and I wonder how limited the usage for games is and what will be the price.

I think that the current SCE execs do good, competent work for the most part, and they sure as hell are not sitting on their hands.

bobohoro

Yeah, was a nice way to end the presentation. Really hope they end up delivering some quality JRPGs in the long term, I am kinda hopeful.

Even Star Ocean 5 looked interesting from the little gameplay we saw. I'll just take everything else as a parody and will have some fun with it. Although little backpack-girl and chessboard witch do kinda invoke my old trauma of dollface/catgirl/birdbrain.

Yeah, was a nice way to end the presentation. Really hope they end up delivering some quality JRPGs in the long term, I am kinda hopeful.

Even Star Ocean 5 looked interesting from the little gameplay we saw. I'll just take everything else as a parody and will have some fun with it. Although little backpack-girl and chessboard witch do kinda invoke my old trauma of dollface/catgirl/birdbrain.

I liked the seamless action. No fade in and out screens, no loadings, you just walk in and wreck shit up. I bet it's gonna be a Spring title, since it has a 2015 release in Japan.

Hikami

Fell asleep halfway through Square's conference. Not because it was boring or anything but E3 has really been missing with my sleep schedule zz..

New Nier thing looked great, I need to go and play the first game already. Kingdom Hearts 3 was cool.. Star Ocean 5 looked nice as well, looking forward to that next year.
New IP hype (though they only showed concept art..) love the name of the new studio, Tokyo RPG Factory. sogood.gif

That Square conference was kinda weird, but enjoyable. Is World of Final Fantasy like FF crossed with Pokemon? I still don't really know what it is.

Games of E3 for me: Horizon, For Honor, PvZ Garden Warfare 2, Star Wars Battlefront, Shenmue III, Mother Russia Bleeds.

Not great for Vita games, but it was never gonna be. Great for games in general, though!
Unless you like Nintendo, oy what a bad showing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Haven't heard of Hitman Go. Was it shown at the conference?

That Kingdom Hearts Mobile game seemed like the kind of thing I wouldn't look twice at if it didn't have Kingdom Hearts in the title. Sorry, I didn't think it looked very good at all.

Hitman go is old, here's a random review
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/23/hitman-go-review#

Shenmue's ks performance is impressive, but it's still just 33k very devoted backers right now, it may end up at maybe 150-170k How will it translate to real world sales? I'm rather confident in my around 2 million tops for Shenmue 3, maybe 3 million as it comes out on both PC/PS4.

Dude don't drink the DX12 koolaid, Xbone already has a very low level API, it may proove useful for porting between PC and Xbone for lazier devs and indies.

W10 integration is cool, but I don't see how it will expand Xbox consumer base in a significant way. I feel like the limited BC may sway more 360 owners than W10 integration. What I feel it shows is that Microsoft is slowly backing out of traditional console hardware.

Only maybe "gamechanger" imo is Hololens, but it looks like it's still lightyears away and I wonder how limited the usage for games is and what will be the price.

I think that the current SCE execs do good, competent work for the most part, and they sure as hell are not sitting on their hands.

That's why i'm saying you should not underestimate dx12, all pc games could easily come to xb1, and what now is a ps4 and pc game or a pc only game tomorrow could be a xb1 game too.

Win10 integration for now is limited, but i can see MS expanding it.

Hololens could end like Kinect lol.
Imo together with vr hololens is a technology that will get more use in other fields of application than in gaming

adarker

Banned
Holy Shit! Did anyone happen to notice the media player pop up in the PS4 tool bar? I am streaming a Doctor Who ep from hard drive right now!

Little bit gutted there was no word of FF XII HD in Square's conference. Also wouldn't have minded Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 HD ports for PS4 (but Vita especially), but never mind.

Most of all though, and nothing to do with Square, but I'm really wondering what's going on with XCOM Enemy Unknown Plus and Civilization Revolution 2 Plus. I mean, the former was just a Tesco listing from last year... so that could've gone by now. But Civ Rev has been listed on Play-Asia; rated by numerous rating boards, all of whom suggest a July release. Wat happening!?

Holy Shit! Did anyone happen to notice the media player pop up in the PS4 tool bar? I am streaming a Doctor Who ep from hard drive right now!
It was quietly announced on the PS Blog after Sony's conference yesterday. :)

I've got a Fire TV stick and use Kodi so I don't need it, but it's good they've listened to what people wanted.

SerTapTap

Cool that Star Ocean is coming over. Somewhat interested in Nier, sounds like it had an interesting story and bad gameplay, maybe platinum'll fix it.

I'd like to remind any fellow pissed off Metroid fans to play Axiom Verge since Nintendo would rather give you a minigame collection.

They stealth announced that like an hour before the conference or something

Is this new? Driveclub $24.99 US/$27.49 CAN on the ps store with psplus.

New to my knowledge, great price!

eFKac

That's why i'm saying you should not underestimate dx12, all pc games could easily come to xb1, and what now is a ps4 and pc game or a pc only game tomorrow could be a xb1 game too.

Win10 integration for now is limited, but i can see MS expanding it.

Hololens could end like Kinect lol.
Imo together with vr hololens is a technology that will get more use in other fields of application than in gaming

Thing is, what I'm trying to say is that the important games will come to PS4 anyway. no big 3rd party will skip the dominant console just because porting will be a tad more demanding.
Indies still don't matter in the big picture as Vita and Wii U perfectly prove and Sony is still cozy with indies anyway.

About Hololens, sure we don't know. It's a wild card, it looks pretty groundbreaking as a tech imo, but totally agreed it will get more use in other fields.

adarker

Banned
It was quietly announced on the PS Blog after Sony's conference yesterday. :)

I've got a Fire TV stick and use Kodi so I don't need it, but it's good they've listened to what people wanted.

Man after I got home from the E3 experience I was wrecked! Went straight to bed. IT does seem twitchy tho, I am messing with it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
OMG, i was looking at the sony conference and just when they showed vita for 2 seconds the camera changed and nothing was seen lol. Never change SCEA.

I bet that this year there are not even vita games on the showfloor.

Please tell me that those devolver games(especially mother russia bleeds, i want a beat'em up) will come to vita :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thing is, what I'm trying to say is that the important games will come to PS4 anyway. no big 3rd party will skip the dominant console just because porting will be a tad more demanding.
Indies still don't matter in the big picture as Vita and Wii U perfectly prove and Sony is still cozy with indies anyway.

About Hololens, sure we don't know. It's a wild card, it looks pretty groundbreaking as a tech imo, but totally agreed it will get more use in other fields.

What about pc exclusive games? Those developers didn't bother to make console versions, dx12 could convince them to port their game on xb1 but only some of them could decide to do a ps4 port too.

SerTapTap

How's Mercenary Kings? Is it worth $8 since it's on sale this week?

You'll love it or hate it. It plays like Mega Man (not Metal Slug, despite the look) crossed with Monster Hunter. 2 platforming, missions, crafting materials, craft individual parts of guns and save your favorite designs. "active reload" system like Gears that makes your shots stronger if you do it right. Boss fights are more like big 2D platformer boss fights than anything monster-hunty. It's fun in co op but the RPG/crafting stuff causes real problems since you can't just roll a new character and play with someone with full gear. I usually play it solo.

I really liked it and played it a lot, trying out different guns was a tun of fun. Music and art are fantastic. Gameplay seems very hit or miss so I'm never sure how to recommend it. I've played >20 hours on Steam so if it clicks you'll easily get your money's worth.

eFKac

What about pc exclusive games? Those developers didn't bother to make console versions, dx12 could convince them to port their game on xb1 but only some of them could decide to do a ps4 port too.

Which games do you have in mind? Majority of PC exclusives are exclusive because they wouldn't work well because of input method - MMO's, RTS, Moba's I don't think easier porting will change anything here.

I mean let's be honest, porting between PC and current gens is easy already, that's why we're seeing so many indies on consoles, that + self publishing.

Xenoflare

Nier 2 is legitimately more of a surprise than the FF 7 remake for me.

The latter had expectations built up for almost a decade. I thought Nier/Drakengard is so dead after 3

Top Bottom