• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 01/08/09

Nizz

-viper- said:
FEAR 2 Demo sounds interesting. Is it likely that it will be released to the public by the beginning of February?
This is what I'd like to know. Every damn cent counts since I'm not working. :(

Ironballs

I had no idea Smackdown had exclusive PS3 DLC until today.

Kinda pisses me off, considering I would have bought the PS3 version had I known this. Oh well.

Strider2K99 said:
Yes, and now it's not.

That's lame. It's pretty weak DLC and I'd feel ripped off paying anything for it. It's just four timed score-based missions with some extra skins you can only use while playing the extra missions.

Erebus

kassatsu said:
You are going to be sad for the next week too.

sadpens.jpg

RedBoot

Kind of a weak update considering that we skipped a week, but oh well. I have enough backlogged Rock Band DLC as it is, if I feel compelled to spend money this week. Plus I still need to buy Suikoden (I own the disc, but it's for the principle of the thing. Plus I'm just happy they didn't use the original boxart).

Japanese store does suck this cycle. Well, other than the Demon's Soul Promo video...Anyone check that out? Cuboid looks pretty sweet I must have missed this one because today is the first I've heard of it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, pretty weak update this week. First time in the US not getting LBP DLC, no?
Guess I'll buy Quest for Booty, then.

Grayman

AranhaHunter said:
How does Castlevania and Suikoden look on PSP? I take it the PS1 games DRM for PS1 games are the same as other regular PSN games (5 active machines, unlimited downloads on that active machine)?
Symphony of the Night looks pretty good on the PSP. DRM should be the same as PSN games, it is not like movies. The games work on custom firmware PSPs but may have to meet a certain firmware requirement.

I have been waiting for savage moon for so long! I have a proposition to any european players out there: if you buy savage moon on a european psn account and then give me the details, I'll buy you lumines on an american psn account and give you the details. Or anything similar that ends with me getting savage moon! Please!

lupinko

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Japanese store does suck this cycle. Well, other than the Demon's Soul Promo video...Anyone check that out? Cuboid looks pretty sweet I must have missed this one because today is the first I've heard of it.

Japanese store updates more than once a week.

AndyD

aka andydumi
MadFuzzy said:
I believe that all of these are all down to their individual publishers, not SCEE.

If the publishers choose to get their games certified by SCEA first, release them and then do the PAL version later that's their choice and the real cause for the delay, it's not something that SCEE can do anything about (likewise for the stuff released in Europe that isn't out in the US yet like GTI Club, Astro Tripper, etc).

Life would be much simpler if Sony had global certification, if publishers chose to certify and release PSN titles simultaneously or if they delayed the release in one territory so that the title could come out at the same time in another to minimise these sort of problems.

Again apparently it's the publisher's choice to release PS1 games or not, not Sony's. It seems that Japanese publishers are much keener to do this in their own native market rather than overseas for some reason.

As to global cert, if I remember right, they changed it to one submission only across all areas. So one fee, so it is easier for developers. However, they can get approved at different times or not at all in the various areas. So they pay one fee up front but then they can fail the PAL and pass US for example, so one will go through but the other will be held up and need to be fixed up.

As to PS1 games, Sony have said that something like DLC was not anticipated back then, so a lot of the rights were tied up with individual publishers in each individual zone for all future releases. This was so that they could later release those 20 in 1 discs with games.

However, this also meant that each and every game now needs approval from each developer in each separate zone, even though it was originally developed in parallel. So while some are more receptive than others, you also have to keep in mind that some publishers no longer exist, or have been absorbed and to top it all off we are still getting those 20 in 1 game discs (I think Sega has one coming next month for PS2 or PS3).

lupinko said:
Japanese store updates more than once a week.

Oh right I completely forgot it works that way...buying a PSN card here in NA will allow me to buy stuff on the JPN PSN correct? I've yet to do this...

What's the word with Cuboid?

Ranger X

Raw64life said:
Cuboid reminds me of Intelligent Qube. Will I be disappointed if I buy this?

It's totally different. There's nothing in common with Intelligent Cube really.

But i'm TOTALLY LOVING IT. Damn that's my type of puzzle games!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
D3Publisher Announces Texas Cheat ‘Em

D3Publisher announced today a new Xbox Live Arcade game developed by Alex Seropian's Wideload Games. This XBLA game replaces time usually spent waiting for others to deal or bet in online poker with loads of fun planning cheats or playing minigames.
D3PUBLISHER REVEALS AN ACE UP THEIR SLEEVE WITH NEW GAME TEXAS CHEAT ‘EM FROM DEVELOPER WIDELOAD GAMES

LOS ANGELES – January 8, 2009 – There’s No Limit to the fast-paced, frenetic action poker players will enjoy with D3Publisher’s newly announced game, Texas Cheat ‘Em, from fan favorite developer Wideload Games. Texas Cheat ‘Em is a new take on the classic Texas Hold ‘Em rules, turning an average online poker table upside down by layering party games and other gambling minigames on top of the basic rules, and allowing players to cheat to win! Gamers of all levels can hoodwink their opponents in Texas Cheat ‘Em; novice competitors who craft good cheating strategies by using x-ray vision, pre-cognition, chip stealing, card swapping and more can defeat more veteran card players. The game is confirmed for Xbox LIVE® Arcade for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®Store for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system for Spring 2009 and Windows PC at a later date.

“Alex Seropian and the team at Wideload know how to make great games, and their trademark quirky sense of humor abounds in Texas Cheat ‘Em,” said Pete Andrew, vice president of product development, D3Publisher. “We feel confident that the comedic tone, party atmosphere and interactivity of Texas Cheat ‘Em are tailor-made for today’s casual online gaming audience.”

“We upped the ante on traditional online poker and set Texas Cheat ‘Em in a decidedly irreverent world where players can do what they’ve always wanted to do – cheat!” said Scott Corley, Director of Wideload Shorts. “It’s a hilarious online card playing experience that gets even more fun as players become cheating masters.”

Cheating is FUNdamental in Texas Cheat ‘Em! Cheat attacks are earned by players through more than a dozen minigames like Roulette, Slot Machines, Dice or Rock, Paper, Scissors. Texas Cheat ‘Em replaces time usually spent waiting for others to deal or bet in online poker with loads of fun planning cheats or playing minigames, and offers single-player as well as multiplayer options for up to eight players for a truly unique and robust gameplay experience. Online features are a priority for Texas Cheat ‘Em. All versions will support voice chat and Leaderboards, both console versions will support Achievements/ Entitlements, and the Xbox LIVE Arcade version will support Party Chat and Avatars.

Texas Cheat ‘Em is a Wideload Shorts production. The game is rated “T” (Teen, Ages Thirteen and Older – Simulated Gambling) by the ESRB. For more information about Texas Cheat ‘Em, please visit www.d3publisher.com.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm so frustrated with this no demo stuff on so many PSN games. No demo, no preview impressions, no prerelease press reviews, no user reviews. This cuboid game interests me and I know it's only $10, but I'm so annoyed at Sony expecting me to blindly buy these games.

sykoex said:
I'm so frustrated with this no demo stuff on so many PSN games. No demo, no preview impressions, no prerelease press reviews, no user reviews. This cuboid game interests me and I know it's only $10, but I'm so annoyed at Sony expecting me to blindly buy these games.

At least they have a preview video on the store.
That sold me on it alone actually.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Where is SFHD..........

It is SCE and only SCE who are pushing me away from buying a Sony console next gen.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Someone with extra cash should set up a PSN game review site, buy every PSN game day one, and review it. I promise I'd click on every ad on your site.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Cuboid is a total knock-off of Bloxorz

You really don't need a better demo than this, and I hope the author got some deal out of this (unless he also copied some ancient puzzle game idea)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Lord Error said:

You really don't need a better demo than this, and I hope the author got some deal out of this (unless he also copied some ancient puzzle game idea)
This plays perfectly on the PS3 browser. :lol :lol

linsivvi

Lord Error said:

Somebody mentioned in the announcement thread that the original author was involved in this, not sure if it's true since I haven't been able to find a source on this. What I know is that some of the puzzles are exactly the same, which is quite different from just copying an old puzzle concept, so I hope it's true that the original author at least got some monetary reward for this.

Dizzan said:
Where is SFHD..........

It is SCE and only SCE who are pushing me away from buying a Sony console next gen.

Can't you guys just grab it from the American/Hong Kong store instead?

Darkpen

Banned
...so what's up with that free running psp game on the UK store? I've never heard of it, and I see no video footage

Dizzan

MINI Member
linsivvi said:
Can't you guys just grab it from the American/Hong Kong store instead?

Yes and I already have an American account setup which I have purchased from in the past.

But if I have a problem in the future or Sony decides to let us redownload purchased games on future consoles then I would like to have it all on one account. And if they ever decide to stop users making or using foreign accounts then I'll lose my rights to it.

I would also like to share it with my brother who has my Aussie account details.

It's ridiculous. I guess this thread isn't the best place to ask but how does MS treat their Euro/Aussie users. Is it the same deal as SCE?

Aru

AranhaHunter said:
How does Castlevania and Suikoden look on PSP? I take it the PS1 games DRM for PS1 games are the same as other regular PSN games (5 active machines, unlimited downloads on that active machine)?

I don't know about CVC, but Suikoden is quite beautiful on the PSP :) Even in fullscreen ! (the characters are a bit smaller, but they do not look "fat"). It has aged less well than Suiko 2, but I still like it (Tir McDohl FTW !).
It looks bad on PS3 though (HD).

Tntnnbltn

Some updates for the OP. All changes are listed in bold.

GAMES for Europe only (already released in the US)

► Cuboid
► Lumines Supernova
► Penny Arcade Adventures - Episode 2
► PowerUp Forever
► Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
► Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

GAMES for US only (already released in Europe)

► Astro Tripper
► GTi Club+
► Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
► Savage Moon

kassatsu said:
PSone GAMES rated by ESRB (US)

► Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
► Medal of Honor
► Pandemonium
► Spyro: Year of The Dragon
► Street Fighter Alpha 2
► Street Fighter Alpha 3
► Super Buster Brothers Collection
► Wipeout XL

PSone GAMES rated by PEGI (Europe)

► Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis
► Bust a Groove
► Colony Wars
► Cool Boarders 3
► Destruction Derby 2
► Devil Dice
► Everybody's Golf
► Klonoa
► Kurushi Final
► Motor Toon Grand Prix
► Namco Museum 1
► Namco Museum 2
► Namco Museum 4
► Omega Boost
► Ridge Racer
► Ridge Racer Type 4
► Rollcage
► Spyro: Year of the Dragon
► Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
► Tekken 2
► Tekken 3
► Twisted Metal
► Vib Ribbon
► WipEout 2097
► Wip3out

Also, how to we know that Blood Omen and Pandemonium are bound for the PSN store? It doesn't mention anything about PSP/Playstation 3 on the ESRB site, just PlayStation/PS one. (And there's like 1400 other PS one games classified on the site)

Shadow780

disappointed in Qore Jan, they should have a lengthy segment on KZ2 and Heavy Rain, feels rushed.

and still no Savage Moon on NA server, me=sad :(

JB1981

Anyone think the QORE footage of F.E.A.R. 2 is all PC footage and the PS3 version will absolutely NOT look that good? Seriously, it looks great imo.

Also I cannot BELIEVE how good KZ 2 looks in the QORE videos. They just keep fucking improving that engine til the very end. It's like they improved the motion blur or something - there was a quality to the visuals that I have not seen before. The game literally looks like playable CG and about 5x better than the graphics in the MP beta.

Top Bottom