• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

bomblord1

Banned
I did that, my TV still won't display anything from my PSTV. I'm out of ideas here, why my living room's TV won't display anything from my PSTV but every other TV will.

If the same system and HDMI will work in other rooms in the house it's a fair assumption that the problem lies with the TV. Try powercycling the TV set (unplug it wait ~30 seconds hit the power button BEFORE plugging it back in to flush it and then plug it back in) do the same on the PSTV.

My PSTV will occasionally not output to my TV after sleep mode and need me to hard reboot it but it works after turning it off and on again.

Shizuka

If the same system and HDMI will work in other rooms in the house it's a fair assumption that the problem lies with the TV. Try powercycling the TV set (unplug it wait ~30 seconds hit the power button BEFORE plugging it back in to flush it and then plug it back in) do the same on the PSTV.

My PSTV will occasionally not output to my TV after sleep mode and need me to hard reboot it but it works after turning it off and on again.

That's exactly it, I'll try doing that. Thanks!

awp69

FYI, among this month's PS+ free Vita games, Killzone: Mercenary works with PSTV, Monster Bag does not.

You know what's annoying. When I go to my download list it clearly marks a bunch of games and "not compatible with this device". Why do some games NOT have that statement and allow you to download it, only to get the same message trying to launch it.

This was the case with Monster Bag.

eFKac

Guys are so few Playstation Mobile games compatible with PSTV or is it a region specific thing?

I only have like 35-40 games available, many interesting titles missing.

EU here, Poland.

I was going to start a thread about this, but I figured asking it here would be just as good.

Persona 3: FES vs Portable.

If you want the best possible experience i would recommend playing P3P with this guide. P3P is limited in cutscenes due to Atlus trying to fit a +3 gig game down to a ~1 gig UMD. With this guide, you'll not only experience the better-playing version of P3 but you don't feel like you've been cheated of the full experience from the original game.

animax

Does anyone know why I have to set the system time on the psTV every time I turn it on?? Is it because it's being turned off at the mains?

Shauni

If you want the best possible experience i would recommend playing P3P with this guide. P3P is limited in cutscenes due to Atlus trying to fit a +3 gig game down to a ~1 gig UMD. With this guide, you'll not only experience the better-playing version of P3 but you don't feel like you've been cheated of the full experience from the original game.

Oh cool, I'd probably play as the guy anyway. This is helpful, thank you.

Chuy

Does anyone know why I have to set the system time on the psTV every time I turn it on?? Is it because it's being turned off at the mains?
Essentially if you're unplugging it or flipping the switch the the power bar its connected to the system is hard reset so you have to reset the time again

animax

Essentially if you're unplugging it or flipping the switch the the power bar its connected to the system is hard reset so you have to reset the time again

Ok thanks. Do other consoles/tv-boxes do that?? Obviously it doesn't have an internal battery but thats still a bit archaic

Ok thanks. Do other consoles/tv-boxes do that?? Obviously it doesn't have an internal battery but thats still a bit archaic

Playstation TV does not have an internal battery but the Vita does. Probably a vestige design for a platform that expects a battery to always be present.

awp69

I had made a thread to discuss whether there's any hope Sony could revive Wipeout on PS4. But I wanted to know from others, why the hell isn't Wipeout 2048 supported by PSTV? Are there even any touch controls?

If it's just menus, that's easy enough with the built in R3/L3 replication on PSTV.

Ever since my PS3 died, I've been...well, dying to play a Wipeout game (other than the PS1 games, which while once classic, are now too dated to give the same thrill of something like HD/Fury).

Agent X

I had made a thread to discuss whether there's any hope Sony could revive Wipeout on PS4. But I wanted to know from others, why the hell isn't Wipeout 2048 supported by PSTV? Are there even any touch controls?

If it's just menus, that's easy enough with the built in R3/L3 replication on PSTV.

The only touch controls are in the menus. It probably could be patched easily enough, but Studio Liverpool no longer exists, so I don't know who would do it now.

Just got a PSTV for my birthday from the Wife... which is great. We do Let's Plays and now we'll have another reasonable avenue for games. So far so good, seems most of the games we have we'll be able to play with... still a huge shame on no netflix as it's a great size to put on the children's TV when not in use for that.

bomblord1

Banned
Are Sword are Lost Song and DangonRonpa Another Episode Ultra Despair Girls PSTV compatible?

Those both release soonish in the U.S. right?

batrush

They both will be compatible with the PSTV. Danganronpa is due this Fall in the US. Lost Song's localization is not yet confirmed.

awp69

The only touch controls are in the menus. It probably could be patched easily enough, but Studio Liverpool no longer exists, so I don't know who would do it now.

Actually if it's just the menus, would it even need to be patched? As I mentioned, there's already functionality to click the control sticks to simulate touch (although I don't know if that's something built into the PSTV OS or if that actually has to be coded in the game).

Actually if it's just the menus, would it even need to be patched? As I mentioned, there's already functionality to click the control sticks to simulate touch (although I don't know if that's something built into the PSTV OS or if that actually has to be coded in the game).

it wouldn't need to be patched, they would just need to white-list it

awp69

it wouldn't need to be patched, they would just need to white-list it

Then WTF? Get it white listed dammit!

Is there a Twitter feed or blog specific to PSTV? Would be nice to have someone that actually may be able to help with games that could/should be white listed. And ask if they are working on things like Netflix.

You know just emailing or calling support isn't going to do jack shit.

Tohsaka

Why is the Asian region getting an English translation?

Because there's a lot of English speakers in Hong Kong and surrounding areas, it's not uncommon for there to be Asian English versions of games. Hollow Fragment was released in English in Asia (it also had a physical version, unlike the west) first as well.

bomblord1

Banned
Because there's a lot of English speakers in Hong Kong and surrounding areas, it's not uncommon for there to be Asian English versions of games. Hollow Fragment was released in English in Asia (it also had a physical version, unlike the west) first as well.

Where is this info coming from? According to google most people in the hong kong area speaks English very poorly and China's primary language is Chinese

How have we gone this long without anyone hacking the Vita TV to remove or edit the whitelist?
Because native Vita hacking barely exists as it is. There's been PS1 & PSP emulator hacks, but barely anything that's actually Vita software. It's super annoying for Vita/PS TV owners, because Sony won't bother to improve their software on the Vita/PS TV and there's barely any way to for the homebrew/hacker community to provide better alternatives.

I'd kill to have Retroarch on my PS TV and possibly support for USB storage media, but that's not happening for a long time, if ever. And there isn't even a Vita emulator to fall back on.

awp69

How have we gone this long without anyone hacking the Vita TV to remove or edit the whitelist?

I'd love for someone with the knowledge to do so to come up with a hack. It's a great little system, but there are games that I think would work just fine that aren't on the white list. And I doubt Sony will ever do anything about it.

animax

I'd love for someone with the knowledge to do so to come up with a hack.

There's currently an open bounty/challenge for hacking the vita, donating to that might help garner interest (the bounty is not for getting around the whitelist per-se but getting eyes on its inner working will help investigate these things)

bomblord1

Banned
So a word of warning I found a crash in atelier rorona on the pstv I have no idea if it happens on the vita so you will want to save often if you play that game on the TV.

So is there any way to remove bi-linear filtering from PS1 games on the PSTV? You can disable it on the vita itself, but I'm not seeing the options on the PSTV and that makes me sad. FFV looks like utter garbage.

Chuy

So is there any way to remove bi-linear filtering from PS1 games on the PSTV? You can disable it on the vita itself, but I'm not seeing the options on the PSTV and that makes me sad. FFV looks like utter garbage.
Unfortunately no.
That option was bizarrely removed on the pstv

antibolo

Banned

The PSTV upscales to 720p. Having bilinear filtering as an option would be probably pointless because unlike the Vita you can't display a "pixel perfect" image.

The PSTV upscales to 720p. Having bilinear filtering as an option would be probably pointless because unlike the Vita you can't display a "pixel perfect" image.

240p (average PS1 game internal resolution) x 3 (a whole integer) = 720p

If anything the PSTV at 720p provides the superior resolution for scaling PS1 titles to the vita's 540p... so the fact that they force bilinear filtering on the games means that the PSTV is useless to me for playing PS1 titles... at least 2D ones. I'll try playing some FF7 on it later before I pass complete judgement on it.

Holy crap what a terrible oversight on their part.

kunonabi

It seems like, looking at the list of difference between the two, FES has the most stuff, but...well, how hard is it to really direct your party? That's my main issue. I am not a fan of not having the option to control your party, that just seems like it'd be a pain all around.

You could work around the a.i.'s habits so that they would essentially do what you need them to in the original P3 so I would assume that is still possible. Strategy in P3 is pretty braindead anyway so it wasn't a problem for me once I got used to them. I can't stand a.i. teammates in any RPG but Persona 3 is manageable which is more than I can say for the majority of them.

But everything on the PSTV is rendered to 960x544 then upscaled to 720p.

And there is some reason why this has to happen? We know software can be rendered sub-native resolution (many Vita games do this such as Gravity Rush)... There is no reason why the PS1 emulator couldn't render at 240p then scale without bilinear filtering... It's a BS reason.

NeOak

And there is some reason why this has to happen? We know software can be rendered sub-native resolution (many Vita games do this such as Gravity Rush)... There is no reason why the PS1 emulator couldn't render at 240p then scale without bilinear filtering... It's a BS reason.

Most likely that is what the hardware upscaler requires.

Most likely that is what the hardware upscaler requires.

Then it was a terrible hardware design decision.

This essentially means that the image is being scaled and filtered twice (240 to 540 to 720) and since none of the steps are whole integers it gets worse.

NeOak

This essentially means that the image is being scaled and filtered twice (240 to 540 to 720) and since none of the steps are whole integers it gets worse.

Considering the scaler seems like an afterthought due to being just the bare minimum required to work with HDTVs in 2011, maybe.

However, you are preaching to the choir here. We all agree that the Vita TV is a half-assed effort from Sony.

No need to direct your rage to other posters. Sony customer support is that way ---->

Considering the scaler seems like an afterthought due to being just the bare minimum required to work with HDTVs in 2011, maybe.

However, you are preaching to the choir here. We all agree that the Vita TV is a half-assed effort from Sony.

Indeed... Oh well, it's at least useful for actual Vita games.

antibolo

Banned

Unless you are rendering to a native 720p display it's even worse because there's also the upscaling pass by the display itself.

On a 1080p TV that means:
240 -> 544 -> 720 -> 1080

At this point, any hope of getting a non-blurry picture is futile.

bomblord1

Banned
Welp you guys were right, Conception II sucks. Might drop it and start FFX but I hate leaving games unfinished...

Does it? I've gone in circles on whether I should try this game the fanservicey stuff always turns me off but that's always in my conflict with love of anime styling and JRPG's.

Top Bottom