• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about Froakie: Where do people keep getting the "thief" or "ninja" connection from? Do one of his names in other languages translate to some combination of "frog" and "ninja" or something? I can see the visual resemblance, but I wouldn't have been looking for it if people weren't bringing it up, so I'm not sure if it's -really- the idea behind his character, or if we're just making shit up.
Well, it's just fans spinning their wheels until the evo line is revealed, but the visual design being similar to a thief, as well as him shown off in the trailer doing a bunch of stealthy, speedy stances, as well as that last attack:

froakiekzivq.gif

suggests that sort of thing.

Tehalemi

New av for the time being. At least until I choose from over 5000 fan pics made in the past 24 hours. @_@

#teamfrackinfennekin

To the rest of you:

knight_gif_650x10000_q85.jpg

Neiteio

Yveltal is so dope to me. When the camera is hovering above, it's design looks really great. The Y pose in the trailer doesn't do it justice at all.
Agreed. I love both of them but I think Yveltal has grown to be my favorite, much like Chespin has (possibly) supplanted Froakie in my eyes.

Also, regarding the possible third legendary... If they do indeed go the Z chromosome/sea snake route, and model him after the "world serpent" Jörmungandr, I suspect he'll be part Poison-type, and here's why (from Wikipedia):

"The last meeting between the serpent and Thor is predicted to occur at Ragnarök, when Jörmungandr will come out of the ocean and poison the sky.[7] Thor will kill Jörmungandr and then walk nine paces before falling dead, having been poisoned by the serpent's venom.

Maybe, but I think a snake could make a Z shape much easier. Don't you?
Sure, but I don't get the whole water thing with the letter Z. It stands for depth on a XYZ axis, as in three dimensional depth and not below the X axis. Oh well, it's nice to speculate I guess.

Silvawuff

Those starters look amazing! I don't know which one is more awesome!

It's nice to finally see Pokémon getting a fresh and interesting new concept going for it.

Aggrotek

Agreed. I love both of them but I think Yveltal has grown to be my favorite, much like Chespin has (possibly) supplanted Froakie in my eyes.

Also, regarding the possible third legendary... If they do indeed go the Z chromosome/sea snake route, and model him after the "world serpent" Jörmungandr, I suspect he'll be part Poison-type, and here's why (from Wikipedia):

"The last meeting between the serpent and Thor is predicted to occur at Ragnarök, when Jörmungandr will come out of the ocean and poison the sky.[7] Thor will kill Jörmungandr and then walk nine paces before falling dead, having been poisoned by the serpent's venom.

Jormun.jpg

Pleasebepoison Pleasebepoison Pleasebepoison Pleasebepoison Pleasebepoison

Can I have my Ontario as Django Unchained then? If it follows the same pattern of quality as Tarantino's films, it'll be the second best game in the series :3
That's just, like, your opinion man. I want to see them tackle Siberia and include a bunch of varied environments over a vast non-linear progression.

I like that X/Y might refer to both chromosomes and Cartesian co-ordinates. It all makes sense now.

Neiteio

Sure, but I don't get the whole water thing with the letter Z. It stands for depth on a XYZ axis, as in three dimensional depth and not below the X axis. Oh well, it's nice to speculate I guess.
You don't associate oceans with depth???

And besides that, Jörmungandr wraps around the world in mythology -- doesn't get much more XYZ than that!

You don't associate oceans with depth???

And besides that, Jörmungandr wraps around the world in mythology -- doesn't get much more XYZ than that!
Yeah yeah I get the sea depth thing. I'm just saying it's not the same definition of depth as the Z axis in the XYZ system.

Neiteio

Hmm, maybe Xerneas and Yveltal exist as some sort of check/balance against a Jörmungandr-inspired legendary that threatens to poison the atmosphere if it ever awakes from its slumber?

Meikiyou

Now that I had a bit of recollection of the norse myths i think that Yveltal may be Hraesvelg or Verdolfnir, the bird atop Yggdrasil and mortal enemies of nidhogg.

Neiteio

I want official 2D art for the legendaries!
This. I -really- want to see the Sugimori art for the legendaries.

Meikiyou said:
Now that I had a bit of recollection of the norse myths i think that Yveltal may be Hraesvelg or Verdolfnir, the bird atop Yggdrasil and mortal enemies of nidhogg.
It's possible Xerneas, likewise, could represent Yggdrasil itself, its antlers like the branches of the World Tree.

Of course, I see the Yveltal/wyvern and Xerneas/chital connections, as well.

Meikiyou

About Deer in myths.
The Insular Celts held deer as supernatural animals, "fairy cattle" that were herded and milked by a localised and benevolent fairy giantess (a bean sìdhe) in each district, who could shift shape to that of a red deer;[1] in the West Highlands, she selected the individual deer that would be slain in the next day's hunt.[2]
In Ireland, An Chailleach Bhéarach, "The Old Woman of Beare", an island off the coast of County Cork, takes the form of a deer to avoid capture; to Beare come characters from the Land of the Dead to visit Ireland.[3] Other Celtic mythological figures such as Oisin, Flidais and Sadb were given connections to deer.

Neiteio

One thing is for certain: Yvetal and Xerneas are two of the most beautiful and downright majestic legendaries in some time. By contrast, Reshiram and Zekrom were a bit overcomplicated and Dialga, Palkia and Giratina were haphazard as hell, lol. (Still love 'em.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
One thing is for certain: Yvetal and Xerneas are two of the most beautiful and downright majestic legendaries in some time. By contrast, Reshiram and Zekrom were a bit overcomplicated and Dialga, Palkia and Giratina were haphazard as hell, lol. (Still love 'em.)

Yeah, as much as I love Zekrom these two are one of the most majestic legendaries I have seen so far in the franchise.

Meikiyou

I am almost sure that Xerneas is based on Eikþyrnir as his name in japanese would be エイクスュルニル something like eikusuruniru (eikusu seems like ekusu the katakana for X)

Neiteio

Yeah, as much as I love Zekrom these two are one of the most majestic legendaries I have seen so far in the franchise.
Yeah, personally I love Reshiram, one of my favorite designs, but I still acknowledge Xerneas and Yveltal as looking more beautiful and majestic.

Neiteio

I am almost sure that Xerneas is based on Eikþyrnir as his name in japanese would be エイクスュルニル something like eikusuruniru (eikusu seems like ekusu the katakana for X)
The stag that stands upon Valhalla in Norse mythology... Could be!

Love your folklore insights, btw. :)

I hope they don't ruin the Water starter by giving it a shitty final evolution like they did for B/W.

I want my water frog...

Actually I kinda want all 3 starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom