• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nah, it just seems like many GAFfers get lucky in that respect, and I was wondering if they all hung out at the same bar or something, lol.

If I had spent more time hanging out at bars and less time online I would have never met my wife. She plays more games than I do.

Rubius

I wonder if this will be the gen where they finally reveal Kirby as Ditto's evolution.

It would be more a devolution. Ditto can already transform into all 648 pokemons just by thinking about it or seeing it.
Kirby need to actually eat them. Not as practical.

Still buzzing over this game. Can't get over the fact it will be in 3D.

Still between this and Animal Crossing the 3DS will be my most played console this year, by some distance

Do you guys think these Pokemon games will be on the eShop? I would love to have the game just sitting inside my system without ever worrying about a cart to put in every time someone wants to trade or battle.

When have they made a fully-fledged pokemon game for a "real system"?

That is the epitome of an unrealistic expectation.

That's my point. Why exactly is that an unrealistic expectation? It shouldn't be an unrealistic expectation, but it is because of some mysterious aversion they have to making Pokemon games for full consoles. What is it about non-handheld systems that they feel is incompatible with the franchise?

gazele

Banned
Do you guys think these Pokemon games will be on the eShop? I would love to have the game just sitting inside my system without ever worrying about a cart to put in every time someone wants to trade or battle.

I hope so, they seem to be doing it with a lot of 3ds titles

Ugh the hype has gotten me and I got white 2, coming tomorrow, beat white 1

Any good fan art for the evolutions?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I can guarantee that they will be.

papercamm

That seems to be the way many popular 3DS titles are going, so yes. I do think it'll be downloadable at some point.

Drago

It's a Nintendo published game, so yes

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

All Nintendo titles are being released digitally.

zroid

Banned
It is as good as guaranteed. All Nintendo published titles are released on the eShop as a rule, since last summer.

Cromat

I cannot tell you how much I agree. DP's batch of evos was perhaps my favorite bunch of new monsters, and my biggest disappointment with Gen 5 was a failure to follow that up.

Really, I'm kind of obsessed with this sort of thing, even though I don't really play competitively. It just bugs me when "useless" (broken/imbalanced) Pokémon are introduced when we already have so many that need to be "fixed".

And it doesn't have to be strictly evolutions. I really loved what Platinum did for Rotom, and the hidden abilities really breathed life into the monsters with more lackluster standard abilities (like Politoed and Ninetales, although those two might be a little overkill given how dominant those abilities can be...).

I agree. They should make as many viable Pokemon as possible. If it were up to me, the whole game would add nothing but evolutions to crappy Pokemon to make them worthwhile, plus the starters and the legendaries (six maximum).

I wouldn't mind if they used this opportunity to start balancing stuff up, making defensive play more viable again. They can either do this by adding new elements, for example:

- Passive team abilities, like having Blissey on your team has a chance of curing a status ailment, or having Blastoise on your team raises your defense somewhat and so forth.

- Active abilities or "Limit breaks" for every individual pokemon. For example, even a crappy pokemon like Hypno might be viable if he had an ability to put a pokemon to sleep (without wasting a move slot).

Basically they should start treating it more like an MMO developer, and how they constantly worry about balance and variety.

That's my point. Why exactly is that an unrealistic expectation? It shouldn't be an unrealistic expectation, but it is because of some mysterious aversion they have to making Pokemon games for full consoles. What is it about non-handheld systems that they feel is incompatible with the franchise?
I'm sure they have explained their reasoning multiple times. I believe they want it to be a portable experience with easy communication among local friends as well as global strangers. After all, the first games relied on link cables to commucate, trade, and battle with friends. They probably believe that you cannot create that sort of ecosystem with consoles. That philosophy remains, and I think it's reasonable.

If I had spent more time hanging out at bars and less time online I would have never met my wife. She plays more games than I do.

I'm starting to realize that the answer is probably just luck at this point. :/

It would be more a devolution. Ditto can already transform into all 648 pokemons just by thinking about it or seeing it.
Kirby need to actually eat them. Not as practical.

Kirby ends up stronger than that which he eats (in his own games, anyways). Superiority.

Grakl

So, thanks to the hype (and to Grakl) I bought Black 2. And I'm really enjoying it! Also, Oshawott is my starter, Tepig was horrible to me and the other was like... mmmh... don't know!
Now I just hope it will be possible to transfer Pokemon with superior version X.

Enjoy, haha. I really do want to be able to transfer, especially since Black 2 is basically me getting back into the series.

also

Banned

I don't know, maybe the whole concept this franchise is based on? You know, the whole social experience with trading and battling with your friends? Showing off your Pokemon and progress? With a home console you would be stuck in a living room.
And what would be the benefit of a home console version anyway? Just more time wasted on making prettier graphics.

Darryl

Banned
i gave into some pokehype and went around trying to find what old copies of pokemon that i've missed that local pawn shops had, none. :(

they barely even had shovelware, WTF.

Tookay

It isn't difficult to understand the reasoning. They're a business. It keeps their handheld systems relevant. It's also much more profitable to develop on them than the alternative, especially as consoles development budgets have blown up exponentially. And, finally, given the fact that handhelds sales have traditionally trumped console sales (especially in Japan, where this series is extremely popular), that means it's available to a larger proportion of customers, allowing them to maximize their sales.

Gravijah

Developer wants to develop for platform X or platform Y. It's their prerogative.

Why doesn't CD Projekt RED develop for handhelds?

Alchemy

And despite what a lot of people think, local trading and battling against other people is still an important feature for the series. That is much easier to handle on portables where everyone usually has their own device and copy of the game.

Ezalc

Grass:
Treeko > Bulbasaur > Chespin > Turtwig > Snivy = Chikorita

Water:
Totodile > Froakie = Oshowatt = Squirtle = Piplup > Mudkip

Fire:
Torchic > Charmander > Cyndaquil > Chimchar > Fennekin >Tepig

6th gen placements are subject to change as soon as their evos are shown.

Grass:
Treeko > Bulbasaur > Chespin > Turtwig > Snivy = Chikorita

Water:
Totodile > Froakie = Oshowatt = Squirtle = Piplup > Mudkip

Fire:
Torchic > Charmander > Cyndaquil > Chimchar > Fennekin >Tepig

6th gen placements are subject to change as soon as their evos are shown.

What the fuck is with the Snivy hate. One of the best fucking grass starters ever.

Torchic is rated too high. He and his evolutions are lame. Chimchar is better than that, in fact I never got why people hated the Chimchar line. Tepig is indeed the worst though.

Squirtle is rated too low. Froakie is definitely one of the best thus far though. Ohsowatt and his evolution are god tier, sadly Samurrot is some bipedal ugly freak. Totodile is alright.

I would be so happy. HMs are one of the worst things about the series.

Yeah. Or at the very least phase out Fly (I fucking hate them forcing me to carry a flying type), Cut, Surf, and Dive.

Replace with: Teleporter/Blimp, some tool to cut down trees, surfboard, and scuba gear.

Turn those HMs into TM's.

I can't think of an item that would feasibly replace Strength or Waterfall though.

ffdgh

Hmm favorite starters?

Snivy=chespin>treeko>Bulbasaur>turtwig>chikorita

Charmander>cyndaquil=fennikin>torchic=chimchar>tepig

Totodile>froakie>the rest......never really liked them aside from tododile lol

Gravijah

First form only rankings:

Water:

Mudkip>Oshawott>Piplup>Squirtle>Totodile>Froakie

Fire:

Finnekin>Cyndaquil>thisistoohard

Grass:

Chespin>Turtwig>Treecko>Bulbasaur>Chikorita>Snivy

gosox333

People just noticed this on 4chan. It could just be like the tower/Castelia City in B/W, at least it leaves some hope for free movement.

EDIT: Under construction

ohlawd

Any word on what's happening with HMs?

Nothing yet but I'm confident they'll be staying as HMs that can't be deleted except via move deleter so plan on bringing an HM slave for your Gen VI adventure!

Courtesy of Game Freak.

edit: what the hell at those names. Are those real? How do you pronounce Yveltal? ee-vel-tal?

Ah, so we're at this stage, huh

Water: Totodile = Froakie > Squirtle = Mudkip = Piplup = Oshawott

Fire: Fennekin = Tepig = Charmander = Torchic > Chimchar > Cyndaquil

Grass: Snivy = Bubasaur = Chespin = Turtwig = Treecko > Chikorita

*runs*
How the fuck am I supposed to pronounce those?
They included a pronunciation guide in the press release:

Xerneas = ZURR-nee-us
Yveltal = ee-VELL-tall

Ezalc

What the fuck is with the Snivy hate. One of the best fucking grass starters ever.

Torchic is rated too high. He and his evolutions are lame. Chimchar is better than that, in fact I never got why people hated the Chimchar line. Tepig is indeed the worst though.

Squirtle is rated too low. Froakie is definitely one of the best thus far though. Ohsowatt and his evolution are god tier, sadly Samurrot is some bipedal ugly freak. Totodile is alright.

Whole smugleaf thing made him look like a douchebag in my eyes, also evolution=losing all your limbs. Have fun eating dirt for the rest of your life bro.

Blaziken beat Charizard in the anime, it's what made him more awesome. That and his deep ass voice of epic proportions. Chimchar was just a Blaziken copy to me.

The water starters aren't even bad. If you look at what I did it just basically says: Totodile is my favorite, everybody else is pretty cool too except mudkip who evolves into that freakish thing Swampert. Also Samurrot is fucking awesome, get out son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom