• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Ultimadrago

Last night I was in a 11 game win streak (Togekiss, Greninja, Venusaur) till I faced a spamming Talonflame.

The guy basically spammed Brave Bird from beggining to end.

2HKO Togekiss.
1HKO Greninja.
1HKO Mega Venusaur.

Talonflame died after the last hit, but who cares, right?

Now I know why people hate Talonflame and Brave Bird spammers. Ridiculous.

Disappointment aside: Togekiss, Greninja and Venusaur? Your team is fucking sexy, dude. Love that Poke selection.

Last night I was in a 11 game win streak (Togekiss, Greninja, Venusaur) till I faced a spamming Talonflame.

The guy basically spammed Brave Bird from beggining to end.

2HKO Togekiss.
1HKO Greninja.
1HKO Mega Venusaur.

Talonflame died after the last hit, but who cares, right?

Now I know why people hate Talonflame and Brave Bird spammers. Ridiculous.

Aww, I hope I'm not part of the problem. He's the only thing I have to counter Greninja and a lot of other Pokemon at the moment.

I never send it out first, if that makes it any better : P

But I do feel like it's kind of cheap in a lot of situations. Then again, it's so useful I don't want to not use it. Plus there are a lot of situations where it's rubbish, like against electric, rock, steel, etc.

EDIT

Quick query: How do I stop a Choice Scarf Cloyster? Do I need a Prankster Pokemon or a really bulky steel?

Seeing all this pokemon tourny stuff is really tempting me on making a competitive team.

Especially since I finally understand how to read that IV judge person...

Wichu

I might have to finally train a Kangaskhan. Normal seems really strong in inverse battles - only one weakness, and nothing resists Normal STAB.

Or maybe I could roll with a Sun team... Dat Fire/Grass coverage. Is there anything that resists both Fire and Grass in inverse battles?

Disappointment aside: Togekiss, Greninja and Venusaur? Your team is fucking sexy, dude. Love that Poke selection.

Thank you. Sexyness was one of my priorities when choosing the team. ;)

Backup 3 are Mienshao (Melisandre), Dragonite (Davos) & Volcarona (Raehnyra).

Who also get wrecked by Talonflame btw... I need to make some changes. I have no eletric and almost no priorities in my team.

Aww, I hope I'm not part of the problem. He's the only thing I have to counter Greninja and a lot of other Pokemon at the moment.

I never send it out first, if that makes it any better : P

But I do feel like it's kind of cheap in a lot of situations. Then again, it's so useful I don't want to not use it. Plus there are a lot of situations where it's rubbish, like against electric, rock, steel, etc.

EDIT

Quick query: How do I stop a Choice Scarf Cloyster? Do I need a Prankster Pokemon or a really bulky steel?

I know how you feel. It is kinda cheap, but since it works so well, why not use it, right?
I just gotta figure out a counter to use whenever I see a Talonflame in team preview.
Sucks to break up my team though. Joffrey, Hotsuma & Hodor have been very effective so far... 29-3 past two days.

As for Cloyster, just get something to hit his spd side.
He is usually invested in Atk and Spe, so even resisted moves can take him out that way.

So if I understand it right (which I probably don't), for those upcoming inverse battles you can use a grass move against Talonflame for super effective damage and in return its stabs are not very effective?

So if I understand it right (which I probably don't), for those upcoming inverse battles you can use a grass move against Talonflame for super effective damage and in return its stabs are not very effective?

Yup, in a nutshell, the weaknesses are all flipped. In inverse, a lot of bug pokemon become godly just cause so many of them had so many weaknesses.

I'd say a Leavanny should completely destroy Talonflame in inverse.

JoeM86

Yeah.

Check this awesome calculation out:

252 +Atk Choice Band Caterpie Bug Bite vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 204-244 (132.4 - 158.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Anyone who uses Steel-type in Inverse Battles is either a fool, or gutsy. Or, quite possibly, both. 11 weaknesses.

Normal-type is going to be commonly used here, especially Mega Kangaskhan. Normal-type is resisted by nothing, weak only to Ghost-type and super effective on Rock, Steel & Ghost-types.

Yeah.

Check this awesome calculation out:

252 +Atk Choice Band Caterpie Bug Bite vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 204-244 (132.4 - 158.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Anyone who uses Steel-type in Inverse Battles is either a fool, or gutsy. Or, quite possibly, both. 11 weaknesses.

Normal-type is going to be commonly used here, especially Mega Kangaskhan. Normal-type is resisted by nothing, weak only to Ghost-type and super effective on Rock, Steel & Ghost-types.

Still, because of truant, people will not use Slaking. Thanks, Obama
Gamefreak

Alright GAF,

So I played this game when it first came out until around Christmas time. At the time, though, I didn't have a 3DS and I had to play it on my brother's system. I didn't have the opportunity to play again until I finally got my own 3DS this past week. Awesome!

...The problem is that at the time when I gave it back I was searching for a 4/5/6 IV Ditto in the Friend Safari. Now that I have my own system, I've lost all the Friend Safaris I previously had, including the one with Dittos. Thus, would anyone with a Ditto Safari be willing to swap FC? (Or someone could just give me a 6 IV Ditto, haha. Though I doubt that would happen.) Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Last edited:

Kyzon

What, you no want moar penguinz?! ;)

Want, Dratini, Chimchar, Phione, Porygon, Ponyta, Charmie, Squirtle, Zorua, Pichu, Honedge, Froakie, and Chikorita then?

NeoSoma, you may have both. Don't bother with either FC on profile. Instead, add this one: 2191 7720 9084

Edit: Heading out shortly, but will be back later in day.

If you still have them, I'd love some of any/all actually.

Thanks in advance

Would anyone happen to have a Snivy with Glare? Even though there's no Contrary I want to see what Serperior can do for me. Best grass starter design by far!

Wichu

Ice and normal type pokemon for the inverse tournament, rock has a case too.

Keep in mind that the common offensive types in inverse battles are completely different.

Although Rock resists Water, Grass, Fighting, and Steel, it's weak to the popular Normal type, as well as Flying, Poison, and Fire.

Ice is a pretty good defensive type (with only one weakness, just like Normal), but offensively only hits Water, Fire, Steel, and other Ice-types, while being not very effective on Dragon, Flying, Ground, and Grass.

Oh yeah, it's interesting that abilities still work as normal (Fan Rotom finally has a useful ability!). Not really sure how much benefits from this, though...

Muku

Do Inverse battles really have no 4x, Quarter damage or immunities?

Edit: Never mind, I see its only single types and no combos. Still, no immunities is interesting.

Make an interesting point. I've done dual type charts, but never thought to dabble in into an inverse chart. Would probably totally blow my mind trying to put it together. Sometimes have a hard enough time throwing a dual type without getting confused.
I get confused easily.

Thanks for bringing that up Muku, a Darkrai would be amazing; have sent you a PM.

No prob. Thought about making you one, but figured L.O.R.D has plenty still and would save me the trouble. :)

If you still have them, I'd love some of any/all actually.

Thanks in advance

My list consists of at the moment:

Eevee
- All Bold, Anticipation, Egg Moves: Covet, Wish, Yawn, Charm
x3 31/X/31/31/31/31 Males

Froakie
- All Protean
x1 31/31/31/X/31/31 Female - Timid

Kyzon

My list consists of at the moment:

Piplup
- All Modest, Females, Egg Moves: Icy Wind, Hydro Pump, Feather Dance, Aqua Ring
x3 31/X/31/31/31/31

Zorua
- Modest, Male, Egg Moves: Counter, Dark Pulse
x1 31/X/31/31/31/31

Eevee
- All Bold, Anticipation, Egg Moves: Covet, Wish, Yawn, Charm
x1 31/31/X/31/31/31 Female

Ponyta
- Adamant, Female, Flame Body, Egg Moves: Low Kick, Double Kick, Flame Wheel, Morning Sun
x1 31/31/31/X/31/31

Froakie
- All Protean
x1 31/31/31/31/X/31 Male - Modest - Egg Moves: Water Pulse, Round

Pick off list what ya'd like and I can put it aside for ya.

These would be perfect :)
What's your FC?

Muku

3688-8042-6393 IGN is Kyzon

Edit: Thanks Muku, you can keep Glittah

Awesome, thank you. :) Thought it was shiny when I was getting it. Name is kind of cool for it too. Haha. :)

Have a shiny Weepin already, so think I'm going to change him to a Victre.

Edit: Awww, he makes such an awesome lookin' Victreebel.

Kyzon

Awesome, thank you. :) Thought it was shiny when I was getting it. Name is kind of cool for it too. Haha. :)

Have a shiny Weepin already, so think I'm going to change him to a Victre.

Edit: Awww, he makes such an awesome lookin' Victreebel.

Glad ya like. He looks so much more dangerous when Shiny :3

Muku

Glad ya like. He looks so much more dangerous when Shiny :3

To be honest, never a big fan of the line... but as shiny? I think I have a new appreciation for it. :D

I found my first wild Shiny today. :) A Krabby, which has now been evolved.

Congrats! Always fun to find a wild shiny. Only ever found three myself, and all this gen. Though my most recent one was more exciting because it was one I wanted in shiny form. :)

Kyzon

To be honest, never a big fan of the line... but as shiny? I think I have a new appreciation for it. :D

Congrats! Always fun to find a wild shiny. Only ever found three myself, and all this gen. Though my most recent one was more exciting because it was one I wanted in shiny form. :)

I'm a fan of James' one, that's about it for me. It's description sounds amazing though. I love how it dissolves enemies in it's acid.

I found that weepingbell while EV training XD Hoard of them.

Muku

I'm a fan of James' one, that's about it for me. It's description sounds amazing though. I love how it dissolves enemies in it's acid.

I found that weepingbell while EV training XD Hoard of them.

Nice! I was leveling a Pichu while trying to work up on IVs and came across my first horde shiny in my last encounter. Shiny Trevenant. I'm afraid though one day I'll come across a shiny Geodude in a horde. After hearing how it's difficult to get to the shiny quick enough I hope I never come across one

I've never found a horde shiny while hunting them. Only when EV training something that doesn't need the EVs given by the shiny. Out looking or a shiny Mareep? Nah. Almost finished EV training? Oh, hey shiny Mareep. :D

Some kind of special horde ball would be nice to have.

Nice! I was leveling a Pichu while trying to work up on IVs and came across my first horde shiny in my last encounter. Shiny Trevenant. I'm afraid though one day I'll come across a shiny Geodude in a horde. After hearing how it's difficult to get to the shiny quick enough I hope I never come across one

:'(

Shiny Trevenant is awesome though.

Muku

I've never found a horde shiny while hunting them. Only when EV training something that doesn't need the EVs given by the shiny. Out looking or a shiny Mareep? Nah. Almost finished EV training? Oh, hey shiny Mareep. :D

Some kind of special horde ball would be nice to have.

:'(

Shiny Trevenant is awesome though.

Oh heck yeah it is. I love my ghost tree!

My shiny charm only got me a shiny magikarp when I was chain fishing out of boredom....

Technically I gotten my shiny Porygon-Z and Porygon2 after getting the shiny charm but those are GTS trades...

Muku

Once I can give some of these held Pokemon to folks who wanted them, think I might have a few more things to give out. In mean time though, I have an extra shiny Zangoose. Looking to trade it for a shiny in return.

lupinko

I just smashed through a Japanese player using Mega Y Charizard and Yveltal and a French player using Xerneas and Mega Lucario in rotational battles.

My 6IV EV trained Haxorus is really my MVP but lightning and wind genie and blue hat pixie are awesome too!

Kinda will suck tho when Haxorus will eventually be bumped for pink hat pixie.

Syntsui

I just smashed through a Japanese player using Mega Y Charizard and Yveltal and a French player using Xerneas and Mega Lucario in rotational battles.

My 6IV EV trained Haxorus is really my MVP but lightning and wind genie and blue hat pixie are awesome too!

Kinda will suck tho when Haxorus will eventually be bumped for pink hat pixie.

How good is Haxorus compared to Dragonite/Garchomp? I love his design but on paper he doesn't seem viable, he is fragile with that poor HP and SpD and the lack of Dragon Dance with only 97 base speed seems quite troublesome too >.>

Edit: NV just read that he has Dragon Dance, he truly seems like a monster haha.

Top Bottom