• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Remakes Announced for 3DS

MBR

Banned
Holy shit, I just realised that I'm gonna be able to take my Gardevoir back to Hoenn.
I was so damn hyped when i got that first Ralts outside Petalburg, and it's still on my main team after all these years.

Didn't realize people liked Ruby/Sapphire all that much...I always thought they were kinda bottom tier Pokemon games. I'm probably just out of touch.

Once 4th and 5th gen hit people realized how decent 3rd gen was with its additions. I think the ranking is still Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 3 > Gen 4 = Gen 5

iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

This is super outdated now, aha

Qurupeke

Holy shit, I just realised that I'm gonna be able to take my Gardevoir back to Hoenn.
I was so damn hyped when i got that first Ralts outside Petalburg, and it's still on my main team after all these years.
Haha that's great actually. I still have my first Swampert.

Verelios

No, but they are fan favorites and a remake could help them become even better. Mainly less water. A LOT LESS WATER!!!
Yo boss, I heard you like Tentacruels, so here's some Tentacools with your Tentacruels.

Let's throw in a damn Wingull too because why the sea not.

=/

If I'm not mistaken, it's
FRLG/RSE +2 years> HGSS/DPP> BW +2 years> XY
So a remake could take place in the XY timeframe and be set long after RSE.

IF the region is Hoenn. Im still under the impression it's a different region because of the lack of mentioning Hoenn specifically. Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza all were able to appear in Hoenn, so legendaries aren't necessarily tied a specific region.

I can see it now... Team Magma and Aqua are long gone, replaced with Team Omega and Team Alpha. Steven is back as champ. Wallace drowned trying to navigate his way back to Sootopolis City.

I'd be surprised if it was a new region, since it's associated with the Ruby and Sapphire titles. I think the "new world" refers to a heavily reimagined Hoenn. The layout will probably be changed to look more realistic and take advantage of having more than four directions.

No, but they are fan favorites and a remake could help them become even better. Mainly less water. A LOT LESS WATER!!!

I love all the water. I hope the whole region is flooded.

Weakest generation in my opinion. So much water everywhere, and surfing is so slow.
Try playing Diamond and Pearl. *shudder*

Koppai

The US box isn't Red & Blue like the JP/EU boxes...they better fix that shit

Alpha Sapphire > Omega Ruby :3

I'm not surprised that these games are coming but I am surprised they're coming so soon. Even though in America we've been getting yearly Pokemon releases, that wasn't the case in Japan, and I figured the worldwide release of XY would slow down the release of Pokemon games here for the foreseeable future. Guess not!

But this announcement was pretty vague. It doesn't look like anyone knows if this is going to be a remake or a new story set in Hoenn or something else entirely. All I know is that I'll be happy if we get the Emerald Battle Frontier remade, now that XY made it easier to get viable Pokemon.

Highwind

Called it over 2 years ago. =p

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I'm not saying Hoenn remakes for Gen V are impossible, but at this point I think those remakes would be much more likely for Gen VI.</p>&mdash; TheGreatLugia (@TheGreatLugia) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheGreatLugia/statuses/283311113695805440">December 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tweet]
[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The 3DS isn't going anywhere, so Game Freak would have much more time to work on remakes if they were halfway through Gen VI instead.</p>&mdash; TheGreatLugia (@TheGreatLugia) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheGreatLugia/statuses/283311400233873409">December 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tweet]

Broken links.

AdanVC

That came out of nowhere! The best (and most beloved) generation of Pokémon gets a remake on 3DS with the mechanics and gameplay of X and Y versions? Hell to the YEAH! Day zero!

Funny how this gets announced just when the Q&A meeting from Nintendo about it's market situation is just hours away... Anyway. HYPE!!!!

Tom_Cody

What other announcements have they made in terms of new Wii U and 3DS games this year?
You re-framed what I said. In my post I referring to stuff like:

-The Smash Direct
-The Tomodachi Direct
-This Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire announcement

And to a lesser extent:
-The Pokkén Fighters title news
-The Mario Kart Direct

In past years stuff like this came out at E3 but this year we're getting this content earlier. Now that this has dropped, who knows what else we'll see prior to E3.

Was planning on going back to play Black/White 2 at some point once I cleared through some of my other video game backlog, but I see Nintendo isn't going to give me the chance. Looking forward to hearing more information on whether this is a remake or a sequel. Played Sapphire when I was younger so in absence of other factors, I'll be going Alpha.

Kinokou

Called it over 2 years ago. =p

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I'm not saying Hoenn remakes for Gen V are impossible, but at this point I think those remakes would be much more likely for Gen VI.</p>&mdash; TheGreatLugia (@TheGreatLugia) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheGreatLugia/statuses/283311113695805440">December 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The 3DS isn't going anywhere, so Game Freak would have much more time to work on remakes if they were halfway through Gen VI instead.</p>&mdash; TheGreatLugia (@TheGreatLugia) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheGreatLugia/statuses/283311400233873409">December 24, 2012</a></blockquote>

The links are dead.

MattyG

Banned
I just got the Pokefever again and went to see how much the DS games are... it's nearly impossible to find any under $50-60, and that's without a case. I should have held on to them :(

Koppai

That came out of nowhere! The best (and most beloved) generation of Pokémon gets a remake on 3DS with the mechanics and gameplay of X and Y versions? Hell to the YEAH! Day zero!

Funny how this gets announced just when the Q&A meeting from Nintendo about it's market situation is just hours away... Anyway. HYPE!!!!

Remember when Nintendo does a new game they somehow forget some of the useful mechanics they have had in the past :p

Only 6 months guys! :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Based on the reactions, I assume Ruby and Sapphire are considered the best Pokemon games ever. Right?

There's no "best" or "worst".

With that said... mechanically the games are better as they progress (like, I would never put a game that doesn't have split physical and special above those that has them), but Gen 3 is an anomaly for removing major features.

I don't understand why Red & Blue got remakes because of the nostalgia factor, but I don't see a point in remaking Ruby and Sapphire especially when every game in the series is basically the same.

ALPHA SAPPHIRE!

Hyped as fuck! Damn can't believe it's this November! November will be like reliving my childhood this year!

Replaying Halo 2 and Pokemon Sapphire all day!!!!

chadboban

You re-framed what I said. In my post I referring to stuff like:

-The Smash Direct
-The Tomodachi Direct
-This Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire announcement

And to a lesser extent:
-The Pokkén Fighters title news
-The Mario Kart Direct

In past years stuff like this came out at E3 but this year we're getting this content earlier. Now that this has dropped, who knows what else we'll see prior to E3.

Oh okay, I get what you were saying now.

VegiHam

I understand why Red & Blue got remakes because of the nostalgia factor, but I don't see a point in remaking Ruby and Sapphire especially when every game in the series is basically the same.

...the nostalgia factor. I was eight when these came out, I'm excited to see them back.

Whoa. I mean, I figured they were going to announce Ruby/Sapphire remakes eventually, yet it's still came outta nowhere. No Direct, no E3, just boom here it is.

It's techinically not....today, ThenBug N announced its quarterly results, so too hide he fact that they had losses, they released this giant bomb instead...

Hopefully they will do a full orchestra recording of all the tracks for the 3DS.

The real knock against the GBA was always its audio capability.

Hope they keep the tunes of the GBA version

Gym leader original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUFUv56Qio

Gym leader orchestrated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHBL03sVV4A

The worst, generally, or the games that "killed the fad." But that doesn't really matter.

Yeah it was the last gen I was excited about getting the game on day 1 on the back of the success of the original series which was still popular back then.

DaBoss

FUCK YEAH.

BASED GODDESS OF THE SKY GONNA GRACE FORTREE CITY.

SPEAKING OF WHICH

FORTREE IN THREE DEE

THREE DEES

FORTREE IN THREE FUCKING DEE
Spr_B2W2_Winona.png

I-I'm not ready
Please hold her me
"Fortree has been flooded by the great drizzle."

"There has been a huge forest fire in Fortree due to the extensive heat of the drought."

"There were no survivors."

EDIT: This being at the top of the page is awesome.

Top Bottom