• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Remakes Announced for 3DS

There's no "best" or "worst".

With that said... mechanically the games are better as they progress (like, I would never put a game that doesn't have split physical and special above those that has them), but Gen 3 is an anomaly for removing major features.
But also added tons of features, and had great new pokemon especially when compared to gen2.

Anyway, do you guys think we'll get new Megas outside if lati@s? I just realized that the cover legendaries aren't Megas, just glowy, and now I'm not sure.

Arthos

I understand why Red & Blue got remakes because of the nostalgia factor, but I don't see a point in remaking Ruby and Sapphire especially when every game in the series is basically the same.

Ruby and Sapphire came out about 10 years ago, I think. If anything it could be an anniversary of sorts.

Freeman

Banned
Very underwhelming announcement.

I have no interest in this game, to me the Pokemon series evolves at an excessive slow rate and remakes only help with this. To me Pokemon Red and Blue was where the series peaked and it was never able to evolve past the formula established by those games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I understand why Red & Blue got remakes because of the nostalgia factor, but I don't see a point in remaking Ruby and Sapphire especially when every game in the series is basically the same.

...they were remade because the games were incompatible with the GBA. Sure nostalgia is there, but that's subjective.

Similarly, remaking RS makes their mons accessible over without having grueling shit like transferring to an old DS model. And then there's playing Gen 3 with updated mechanics.

So no, every game is not the same.

I have no interest in this game, to me the Pokemon series evolves at an excessive slow rate and remakes only help with this. To me Pokemon Red and Blue was where the series peaked and it was never able to evolve past the formula established by those games.

And yet you haven't touched the games, so how could you tell that they didn't "evolve"? That's like saying Street Fighter II didn't "evolve" when it became Street Fighter Zero/Alpha.

There's no "best" or "worst".

With that said... mechanically the games are better as they progress (like, I would never put a game that doesn't have split physical and special above those that has them), but Gen 3 is an anomaly for removing major features.
I would. Have you tried playing Diamond, Pearl and Platinum again? They run horribly compared to how fast and smooth the 3rd gen was.

brinstar

every Pokemon game is someone's first. There are gonna be people who played R/S as a kids 10 years ago who feel nostalgia towards this one the same way people did towards Fire Red/Leaf Green

Yagami_Sama

It was kind of expected but, great news.

I just don't know what to pick, on GBA time, I bought Sapphire, because of Sableye.

Mega Groudoun will have at least 800 attack, right ?

Keyouta

I really hope these games put in a difficulty selection. It's my most requested feature. Just make it a selection at the beginning of the game, not stupid like B2W2.

Oersted

Is it 3D models like the last pokemon game?

273.gif

I only played the original red&blue and then silver so long ago. I just got a DS and wanted to check out a pokemon game.

But how is this thread exciting that many people? Are those two DS games the best there were? Should I consider buying a 3DS?

I don't understand anything, I just want some sweet pokemon in my veins. :(

Jarmel

Banned
Based on the reactions, I assume Ruby and Sapphire are considered the best Pokemon games ever. Right?

My understanding and general impression was that these were considered the worst of the base three by far. At the time they came out, it was pretty negative but nostalgia is one hell of a drug as they say.

sgjackson

Didn't realize people liked Ruby/Sapphire all that much...I always thought they were kinda bottom tier Pokemon games. I'm probably just out of touch.

At the time they came out people hated the fact they couldn't bring their RBYGSC Pokemon over, and they locked out a shitload of the old Pokemon until the release of FRLG. Combine that with half the game being water routes and some strange (read: awesome) synth choices for the music and you have a gen that's divisive.

I'm more than willing to admit nostalgia might be the main reason I love RSE as much as I do, but it's dope as fuck. Fantastic Pokemon designs that were the best mix of creative and not going off the deep end as much as the later ones did, awesome music, and it was the first Pokemon game that really had a ton of polish and is worth revisiting.

I only played the original red&blue and then silver so long ago. I just got a DS and wanted to check out a pokemon game.

But how is this thread exciting that many people? Are those two DS games the best there were? Should I consider buying a 3DS?

I don't understand anything, I just want some sweet pokemon in my veins. :(

Ruby/Sapphire were GBA games. I personally didn't care for the world being 40% water, but many here think its the best entry in the series.

Just saying that the same people that dislike "sales e-dick stuff" is the same people quoting that gif and the other image.

And the GTA5VsPokemon stuff of last year was painful to read.
The gif is funny.. I mean if you find a sales funny gif you can post it in the sales thread. Oh it was painful? Sorry to hear that.

My understanding and general impression was that these were considered the worst of the base three by far. At the time they came out, it was pretty negative but nostalgia is one hell of a drug as they say.
People were mad at first because you couldn't transfer from older games. Time has let people realize how great the 3rd gen is once you looked past that fact.

Ezalc

Once 4th and 5th gen hit people realized how decent 3rd gen was with its additions. I think the ranking is still Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 3 > Gen 4 = Gen 5

I always thought it went something like.

Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 5 > Gen 3 > Gen 4 = Gen 6.

RedShift

The thing that bugs me about remaking Gen III is that next year the Gen I remakes will be that old as well. They're basically remaking games that came out when they started remaking the games.

Are they going to remake Gen I again? It's been just as long.

I could see the remake train stopping with these though. No one really cares about remakes of Diamond/Pearl do they?

BlackJace

That doesn't even make any sense. To say the series hasn't evolved past the originals in any way is straight up absurd.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would. Have you tried playing Diamond, Pearl and Platinum again? They run horribly compared to how fast and smooth the 3rd gen was.

DP yeah, Platinum was fast, although the menu was terrible. But I'd still play those due to better mechanics. Besides, Gen V and VI are faster. :p

also rankings eh?

BW2 > XY > BW > Plat > E > HGSS > RS > GBC > FRLG > RBY

Top Bottom