• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Warfare - a new Kickstarter project in the vein of Call of Duty

Vire

The thread title really does a disservice to the video they put out.

Seems like a lot of work went into this thing already.

Victrix

*beard*
Also, when you have reached a stage as a police force that looks like this:

I think it is time to call in the US Army and declare California a offical war zone. :p

I laughed when I saw that pic, apparently the LA police have taken up anti-insurgency as part of their beat patrol

And to reiterate what was already said, this isn't hate for another shooter, strong multiplayer fps games are right up near the top of my favorite genre list, it's hate for what appears to be a pie in the sky project with little chance of achieving what they're setting out to do with the budget they're asking for

If they get it, more power to them, I'm not onboard though

It also really, really doesn't help that the pitch looks like the pitch for any number of dozens upon dozens of failed fps mods

Making a good, balanced, tight, fun multiplayer fps is fucking hard. If it was easy, do you think we'd see so many multiplayer fps releases that have shit ass balance, feel terrible, have terrible netcode, bad matchmaking, bad maps, bad game modes?

duckroll

Wow, this is pretty hilarious. Almost reminds me of the fake CoD Kickstarter photoshop image. I guess the question is whether something that's totally mainstream and has reward tiers are sound like Activision pre-order perks can get support on the Kickstarter platform. I guess we'll find out!

It also really, really doesn't help that the pitch looks like the pitch for any number of dozens upon dozens of failed fps mods

Making a good, balanced, tight, fun multiplayer fps is fucking hard.

Indeed, Kickstarter is good for games that can not be made otherwise. Not a begging platform for games that previously have been mods to other games.

And yeah, making a solid shooter with that team with that amount of money? It's just not gonna happen, just like that Serellan Takedown Rainbow Six -wannabe project.

and the other thing: you're a small dev house/team. why go big. make a limbo/braid/fez/superstardustHD/lastman/bannersaga/minecraft. Make something that's managable instead of going for this "big budget" flashy FPS mega hit.

Serellen LLC is the other snow job too. That one.. urgh. Can't believe it got funded.

Xanathus

This Kickstarter is basically screaming scam to me. There's no way they can make even a bare-bones COD clone with only $325k if they are based in CA. Hell, look at their development team. Notice a lack of a certain profession? They don't even have any freaking programmers unless you count "Technical Director".

edit: ok read the whole thread and I'm glad that intelligent people have brought up the same point that this Kickstarter reeks of bullshit, I feel much better now

Metal-Geo

Perhaps they'd be better off if they started this as a mod first. Then see how things go from there.

Of course even for that you're gonna need programmers. :p

deleted

Could it be that they are using the money they gather from this kickstarter to make a high profile pitch for a new publisher?

If this game was indeed planned as CoD: Police Warfare and didn't come through, then Activision most likely ditched the idea and what we see in the video are the assets they made during that time.

I can't imagine that 300k is enough to produce even one fully functional level with the same production values they showed for the two weapon models. And it doesn't seem like they have an engine at hand.

That said, I'm no game developer, I have no idea how game programming works and I don't want to do them wrong, but it seems a bit fishy to me.
Either they have no idea how much time/money a fully-fletched out project like this takes or they are not telling us everything. Tim Schafer wanted 300k for a small scale iOS adventure - i can't imagine a 'a bite-sized AAA' shooter will have a similar budget.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Since publishers are happy to put a gazillion Call of Duties up on the market, WTF is this doing on Kickstarter? Just head up to Activision, tell them you've got this idea, they'll tell you it's awesome and provide you with unlimited funding. Afterwards, you're allowed to bitch and moan about pirates and used sales hurting your bottom line, destroying the industry, etc etc.

Haunted

Guys, you just don't understand. Publishers would never fund a multiplayer-based FPS in a realistic setting.

Seriously though, I wouldn't outright shout "scam" with these names attached to the project, but this is highly suspect.

Haunted

Indeed, Kickstarter is good for games that can not be made otherwise. Not a begging platform for games that previously have been mods to other games.

And yeah, making a solid shooter with that team with that amount of money? It's just not gonna happen, just like that Serellan Takedown Rainbow Six -wannabe project.
To be fair, it's important to note that the 200k the Takedown project got is not the game's development budget - that money is just supposed to be helping get investors involved.

Of course, that opens up a completely different discussion about what Kickstarter can and should be used for (and is the reason why I didn't want to support that project at all).

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Welp, this is the closest to that "Activision Kickstarting COD" nightmare scenario people have been dreading. I'm going to Star this just to keep track. Absolutely not even remotely interested in pitching in for this, it's not the reason why I turn to Kickstarter projects so often.

On the plus side it does look very nice, so they have something to add to their CVs at least!

Since publishers are happy to put a gazillion Call of Duties up on the market, WTF is this doing on Kickstarter? Just head up to Activision, tell them you've got this idea, they'll tell you it's awesome and provide you with unlimited funding. Afterwards, you're allowed to bitch and moan about pirates and used sales hurting your bottom line, destroying the industry, etc etc.

That's another thing about this. In the Kotaku interview he says
"At one point we thought about sending the pitch to other companies and see if they were interested in it," Wearing says, specifically referencing Activision. "But the fan response was clearly so strong that it makes sense to go the Kickstarter route."
So apparently they haven't even bothered looking for conventional funding?

In my mind Kickstarter is supposed to be for games that publishers/investors aren't interested in, but I am. This project seems iffy in that area.

Thing's too questionable.

Brashnir

i want dinosaur warfare. you're a dinosaur and you shoot guns

should i make kickstarter

I want a dinosaur MMO, where you can play Herbivore or Carnivore. Herbivores harvest resources for crafting and complete fetch quests, while Carnivores only survive by killing Herbivores.

Herbivores have strong Defensive units like Triceratops, and pure harvesting machines like Brachiosaurus, while Carnivores are more DPS and mobility focused.

Both factions must work together to complete the end-game raid content against the incoming inter-planetary barrage.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I want a dinosaur MMO, where you can play Herbivore or Carnivore. Herbivores harvest resources for crafting and complete fetch quests, while Carnivores only survive by killing Herbivores.

Herbivores have strong Defensive units like Triceratops, and pure harvesting machines like Brachiosaurus, while Carnivores are more DPS and mobility focused.

Both factions must work together to complete the end-game raid content against the incoming inter-planetary barrage.

You obviously put some thought into this. I'd fund it.

survivor

Banned
I don't think this game will get fully funded but seeing how that hardcore tactical shooter succeeded then I guess a COD clone will easily do it.

wouldn't want to see those artists go to waste but this kickstarter seems a little immature. It seems like they want to use it in order to get noticed by a publisher.

SOME-MIST

I don't like police and I don't want to play as one in a game. Wonder where everyone's donations are going to go see as the project is going to happen regardless.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I don't like police and I don't want to play as one in a game. Wonder where everyone's donations are going to go see as the project is going to happen regardless.

They don't get the money unless it's fully funded by the specified date, no?

SOME-MIST

They don't get the money unless it's fully funded by the specified date, no?
true, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't get funded. I guess what I meant to say is, if the game gets funded I wonder if the game will turn out any different because of the kickstarter.

It'd probably make it a bit easier on people who actually want to play the game if they knew where their money is going to be invested.

Dino D-day and it was shit.

Shit as in amazing? Because anything other than that meaning, you're clearly wrong.

By the way, the influx of terrible titles is getting hilarious. My friend and I were talking about how "Hamfisted" Medal of Honor: Warfighter was.

Seriously... what else do you do in war? Not "warfight?"

:lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
SE is sound engineer right? The lead designer is a sound engineer so maybe he's playing to do dual duty on the product or is a sound engineer and sound designer two separate jobs?

No, software engineer.

I don't think it's a scam, btw, just not budgeted properly or thought all the way through to the logical endpoint.

1961030_oa7kmg.gif

A gif shouldn't make me laugh 3 times in a row. Okay, make that 4 times. I'll stop watching it now.

Du2andal

Banned
They are going to make a COD/Battlefield clone for 325k? How stupid do they think people are? I am assuming the reason that their staff is all art and no programming is that all they really needed was a reasonably good looking pitch video.

On the other side, why would anyone even feel the need to kickstart this bullshit? Huge companies with 300 person teams are falling over themselves to offer up this kind of nonsense.

EDIT: Relieved to see that this thread contains the appropriate amount skepticism and not a stream of folks screaming DAY ONE.

Zabka

ALL PREVIOUS REWARDS + Get the special unlockable secret class for both SWAT and Robber teams including exclusive weapon kits. This special class and exclusive weapon kit will NEVER be available to the public or anybody else, it's a Kickstarter EXCLUSIVE.
NEVER getting my money with this exclusive content bullshit.

Bite my wiener!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

This sounds 47 times better than the ideas behind this Kickstarter project do.

OH SHIT

Herbivore Hero unit is the Diplodocus.

Diplodocus1.jpg

Top Bottom