• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliceOne: 20 cop truths most people don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.
If GAF is to believe 3 of my friends should be dead by now.

And look, you guys are posting forum cop posts and leering at it, even though they are saying perfectly reasonable things.

Hive mind is driving some of you guys into lunacy.

Gaf Hivemind is noticing when it's a white dude it's "open carry laws, hell yeah freedom" but when it's a black dude it's a threat that needs to be extinguished

CorvoSol

Some of this doesn't sound anything at all like things people don't know. It just sounds like dumb one liners from cops.

"It isn't fair that people like firefighters more!"

Well 1) It is fair cuz firefighters don't have guns and 2) Is this actually a thing people don't know?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Police in general make pretty decent money. Like $50k average.

Starting pay is $45,000 in my town, not counting overtime or benefits. I've seen higher starting pay, too.
My cousin in LA Sheriff's makes six figures.

Velcro Fly

Gaf Hivemind is noticing when it's a white dude it's "open carry laws, hell yeah freedom" but when it's a black dude it's a threat that needs to be extinguished

it's taking a small percentage of things that happen and saying it happens every single time.

there are plenty of asshole cops and there are plenty of times they get away with shit they shouldn't but i refuse to believe some of this isn't hyperbole, trolling, or both.

And look, you guys are posting forum cop posts and leering at it, even though they are saying perfectly reasonable things.

"My son is 9 and has been hinting at wanting to be an Officer when he's older. I wish I could give him my blessing and encourage him to chose this honorable profession. I'm scared about what the world will be for him when he's ready to take a job. Being investigated by the FBI and having a grand jury on what clearly was a good shoot. What does the public, and more accurately, the Politicians want? This is clearly the end times. All good is being called evil and evil is being called good."

That is "perfectly reasonable" to you?

buzz buzz, no thoughts of my own

where'd I put that honey, oh yeah next to my SOCIAL JUSTICE BLOX

on topic, they probably really should have thought about #14

3. Bad cops do exist. The "power" aspect is attractive to a certain group of people. The good cops try their hardest to weed them out, but they don't always succeed.

19. We don't do this job for the power or prestige you might think it brings. We do it because we are tired of seeing good people suffer, and we want to help and protect them from the wolves.

20. You might be tougher than me, but I will win in the long run. Believe it.

I'm told there's no power trip..I'm kinda reading power trip. Who didn't know these things again? This Bruno character sounds like a bad cop..

Fantasmo

What cracks me up about this is that if 6 is true and 10 is obviously a blatant lie then why should I believe anything in this article?

I'm probably better off getting a lawyer in every circumstance than believe any of this baloney.

Is this written by a cop? If so, he can't even be honest for 20 so called facts!

And some people wonder why cops get a bad rap.

it's taking a small percentage of things that happen and saying it happens every single time.

there are plenty of asshole cops and there are plenty of times they get away with shit they shouldn't but i refuse to believe some of this isn't hyperbole, trolling, or both.

Come on. It's noticing a reoccurring trend. It's not saying that it happens literally every time. But it sure as hell happens consistently enough.

What cracks me up about this is that if 6 is true and 10 is obviously a blatant lie then why should I believe anything in this article?

I'm probably better off getting a lawyer in every circumstance than believe any of this baloney.

Is this written by a cop? If so, he can't even be honest for 20 so called facts!

6 is true, 10 has some issues (especially when it comes to mouthwash. Mouthwash has alcohol in it and the residual mouthwash in your mouth with cause a breathalizer number to skyrocket)

slit

3. Bad cops do exist. The "power" aspect is attractive to a certain group of people. The good cops try their hardest to weed them out, but they don't always succeed.

HA! Thanks for the laugh.

19. We don't do this job for the power or prestige you might think it brings. We do it because we are tired of seeing good people suffer, and we want to help and protect them from the wolves.

Yeah, the problem is sometimes the public at large is Little Red Riding Hood.

"My son is 9 and has been hinting at wanting to be an Officer when he's older. I wish I could give him my blessing and encourage him to chose this honorable profession. I'm scared about what the world will be for him when he's ready to take a job. Being investigated by the FBI and having a grand jury on what clearly was a good shoot. What does the public, and more accurately, the Politicians want? This is clearly the end times. All good is being called evil and evil is being called good."

That is "perfectly reasonable" to you?

Ever heard of things are much more likely to be reported or mentioned when it's inflammatory?

I'm not saying that race isn't a factor. I'm not saying that people aren't getting shot when they shouldn't.
What I am saying is that according to you guys, every single non-white male is absolutely suicidal for stepping outside of their house, because a cop my come flying by and commit a drive by shooting.

You guys take this one in a million chance, and act like it's every time an officer steps out his door, his "quota" is a dead black family.

EDIT:
buzz buzz, no thoughts of my own

where'd I put that honey, oh yeah next to my SOCIAL JUSTICE BLOX

on topic, they probably really should have thought about #14

>Accuses someone of not thinking for oneself
>Jumps on cop hate bandwagon

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
All a lot of stupid bunk. But the best part is that you can't call them out on it on the PoliceOne website because you actually have to be a confirmed cop to comment. Can you say 'echo chamber'?

Velcro Fly

All a lot of stupid bunk. But the best part is that you can't call them out on it on the PoliceOne website because you actually have to be a confirmed cop to comment. Can you say 'echo chamber'?

This argument is the worst because of GAF having a closed membership too.

Ever heard of things are much more likely to be reported or mentioned when it's inflammatory?

I'm not saying that race isn't a factor. I'm not saying that people aren't getting shot when they shouldn't.
What I am saying is that according to you guys, every single non-white male is absolutely suicidal for stepping outside of their house, because a cop my come flying by and commit a drive by shooting.

You guys take this one in a million chance, and act like it's every time an officer steps out his door, his "quota" is a dead black family.

EDIT:

>Accuses someone of not thinking for oneself
>Jumps on cop hate bandwagon

your reading comprehension is bad

you should join the hivemind, our experience points are multiplied by the number of people connected at once

benjipwns

Banned

It's five separate cops who they combined answers from to make the 20. So, in theory, it could be different at the two different departments.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
HA! Thanks for the laugh.

I know, right? The only thing cops try their hardest to weed out is whistleblowers. (you know... cops with integrity and a sense of duty to the community)

​1. Cops make a pittance. They don't do this for the money.
college buddy of mine specifically went into law enforcement for the pay. guy owns a boat, a motorcycle (on top of a car), frequently goes on trips, has a young son and keeps his house full of nice furniture and large electronics. he could be up to his eyeballs in debt for all i know, but i seriously seriously doubt it. he makes great money and has since day one.

Effect

6. Most convictions stem from confessions. They will do everything in their power to convince you that you should confess. Cops will (and are allowed/encouraged by prosecutors to) lie. That is one of the rules of the game.

For this very reason I was always told to ask for a lawyer if I'm ever arrested. Cops are not your friend, ally, or looking out for you, especially if they feel like arresting you. They will lie to you, perhaps about everything so assume it's all a lie. Like said shut your mouth and stay silent unless it's to ask for a lawyer and give your name when asked. Ignore all that is being said to you. Was perhaps the first thing my dad said to me regarding interact with cops when I was just entering my teens, especially as a black male

20. You might be tougher than me, but I will win in the long run. Believe it.

This I take as something I've come to believe for a long time now that cops believe they can and will always come out on top no matter what. From the simplest he said/she said to killing someone. They know the power they have regardless of what they say. Goes back to them lying.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
What the fuck is up with #20?

Is it any wonder why people are leery and getting even more leery of the cops? I mean, hell, I used to be very neutral when it came to the police but after I was victim blamed when I was being threatened by a roommate I let live with me, I no longer trust any of them. #20 just shows the power trip and bullshit.

benjipwns

Banned
For this very reason I was always told to ask for a lawyer if I'm ever arrested. Cops are not your friend, ally, or looking out for you, especially if they feel like arresting you. They will lie to you, perhaps about everything so assume it's all a lie. Like said shut your mouth and stay silent unless it's to ask for a lawyer and give your name when asked. Ignore all that is being said to you. Was perhaps the first thing my dad said to me regarding interact with cops when I was just entering my teens, especially as a black male
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7pkFNEg5c

The Wire Season Five Tiny-Spoilers (I think it's the first scene of the season.)

college buddy of mine specifically went into law enforcement for the pay. guy owns a boat, a motorcycle (on top of a car), frequently goes on trips, has a young son and keeps his house full of nice furniture and large electronics. he could be up to his eyeballs in debt for all i know, but i seriously seriously doubt it. he makes great money and has since day one.

I actually thought that one was true, but could have just been TV show influence. Is your friend relatively high up the chain?

This is ridiculous and pointless hyperbole. Just because you don't want to admit that there is a systemic issue in America doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

For the record, I've met some extremely courteous and professional police officers, and I've also met police officers that pointed guns at me and 3 of my friends for hanging out in a parked car.

There are good and bad people in every single profession. The problem is that the bad cops kill innocent people . And despite what you believe, it happens every day.

I actually thought that one was true, but could have just been TV show influence. Is your friend relatively high up the chain?

not to my knowledge. he's still regularly on patrol, he posts pictures and funny stories from his shifts on Facebook sometimes. i know he was trying to move to Detective but I don't think that panned out. he likes patrolling.

i understand different precincts/cities/states/cost of living all factor into how "rich" somebody is, but to blanketly state that police officers are called by some kind of nobility to dispense justice in the face of paltry wages is just ridiculous. several of my uncles were cops and they never suffered for money either (although the one that became a fire chief did made considerably more throughout his career).

not to my knowledge. he's still regularly on patrol, he posts pictures and funny stories from his shifts on Facebook sometimes. i know he was trying to move to Detective but I don't think that panned out. he likes patrolling.

Interesting. But yeah, come to think of it I've never heard talk about police salaries.

Velcro Fly

This is ridiculous and pointless hyperbole. Just because you don't want to admit that there is a systemic issue in America doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

For the record, I've met some extremely courteous and professional police officers, and I've also met police officers that pointed guns at me and 3 of my friends for hanging out in a parked car.

There are good and bad people in every single profession. The problem is that the bad cops kill innocent people . And despite what you believe, it happens every day.

I know it happens. But it's getting to the point in OT where you can't even mention anything positive about police without being jumped on. I'm pretty sure someone got banned in the thread about Danielle Watts for not wanting to jump to conclusions that the cop was being racist. I get sick of seeing "fuck all cops" and other similar things like that or the getting mocked for the #notallcops thing when you say you know cops that aren't scum.

RayMaker

Banned
The average pay for a cop is $50,000/£30,000 in the USA

In the UK its about £25,000

Its not the best wage by any means, but you live very comfortable on that wage, although in the states the risk of getting shot must be higher, so maybe the pay is a little low considering cops are risking there lives more in the US.

In the UK the cops seem pretty ok, 9/10 if you get in trouble its your own fault. I've seen youtube videos of cops that do bend the law and use fear tactics to make there jobs easier e.g they will ask you for your details and make it seem that your obliged to give them when your not, they will tell you to move on when your not obliged to etc.

Policeone definitely opened my eyes to stuff I didn't know about american police but not because of this list. The comment sections tell you all you need to know about the kind of fucked up attitudes they hold. There's a real culture of us vs them and defend our own at all costs. I have never seen a story on there where they criticise their own, it's always the media got it wrong or the victim deserved it. Occasionally someone will question that and they're immediately dogpiled and insulted as a bad cop or a rookie. I can imagine that sort of culture exists for them on the job as well.

I know it happens. But it's getting to the point in OT where you can't even mention anything positive about police without being jumped on. I'm pretty sure someone got banned in the thread about Danielle Watts for not wanting to jump to conclusions that the cop was being racist. I get sick of seeing "fuck all cops" and other similar things like that or the getting mocked for the #notallcops thing when you say you know cops that aren't scum.

I agree with you here, the "fuck all cops" nonsense doesn't add anything to the discussion and needs to stop.

5. It isn't fair that everyone likes firefighters more. Cops actually risk their lives more often (and probably save more kittens).

The fact that firefighters (and EMTs) are less likely to beat, taze, shoot, incarcerate, or otherwise harass people likely has something to do with why the public at large has a more positive attitude towards them.

Silky..maybe stop coming into those threads if it's making you "sick" I'd a good idea? I know I've felt ill in said threads, as well..for other reasons, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom