• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliceOne: 20 cop truths most people don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Apparently you and everyone else who looks at this and says power trip don't understand what this means. The police officer is on a team, with hundreds of other cops. The perp/s is one or a few guys, the perps aren't going to win even if they best a few cops, but they still insist on making it hard on themselves.

LOL. Wat. Did you write #20?

120v

Smoking cigarettes, using mouthwash, breath mints, or sucking on pennies neither hide the odor of alcohol on your breath

this is pretty dumb

you'd have be chugging a handle of whiskey for mouthwash not to hide booze breath at all

3. Bad cops do exist. The "power" aspect is attractive to a certain group of people. The good cops try their hardest to weed them out, but they don't always succeed.

INcQSrVl.jpg

XenoRaven

I don't buy #3, sorry. I've seen it too often. It's easier for cheaters to get to the top, and then they create a system of corruption. Once it takes hold, the good cops trying to "weed" the bad cops out get fired, demoted, transferred, etc. So people keep their mouths shut so they don't lose their jobs.

#6 is true. It is horrible that it is true. And it's even worse that these officers accept that without any attempt to change it.

Relying on confessions is lazy, inaccurate police work. You know who doesn't "wait for all the facts to come in"? A cop who will "play the game" and do whatever it takes to get a confession from whoever they have in front of them, rather than investigate and get enough evidence to convict.

False confessions happen. And do you know why they happen? Because cops will do a whole lot more than just lie to a suspect to get them to confess. Brown v. Mississippi. The only evidence against the defendant was a confession. Why did he confess? Because he was beaten, whipped, stoned, and fucking hung from a tree until he confessed. Ashcraft v. Tennessee. Defendant was forcibly kept awake for 36 hours interrogated the entire time, before confessing. Payne v. Arkansas. Withheld food from the defendant until they confessed. And yes, they will lie. Lynumn v. Illinois. Cops lie and tell the defendant her kids will be taken away from her if she doesn't confess, but if she cooperates she won't be prosecuted.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
While there have been a lot of shitty stories about cops, I can't imagine what they have to go through on a day to day basis. Obviously it's their choice to get into this field of work but depending on the area they work, I can't begin to imagine all the responsibilities they have. We don't ever hear good stories because they are doing their job.

also there was this one time where I should have gotten a speeding ticket but a coo let me go.

Several of these would be pretty funny if they weren't so scary and/or sad.

Except the firefighter envy, that one is truly completely hysterical

gatti-man

Cops make plenty. They have a base 40 hr a week salary and their overtime is very lucrative. Here in austin they start at $50 an hour for overtime contract work. My buddy makes six figures and is a straight up cop when you include overtime.

Vestax

Banned
Let's not forget that a large number of cops end up getting divorced, they love alcohol and tend to become alcoholics and/or prescription drugs, and that they deal with depression issues.

I knew a cop that was dependent on prescription drugs. He was injured on the job, and end up with some damaged nerves on his right knee, and battles pain killers. Good guy, but has issues. One of my old friend's dad was divorced 3 times...affair and job hours.

I'd never be cop, too much shit to deal with....

Ketch

Can you at least agree that it's less ok when it results in murder?

Not all cops are murderers. Just like not all minorities are murderers. You shouldn't immediately think ill of someone just because they're a cop, just like cops shouldn't think ill of minorities just because they're minorities.

Black male can't take off his blackness. A cop can stop being a cop at any time. The answer is sometimes.

This is also messed up, discrimination is okay sometimes? People shouldn't choose to be cops because why? It's the same as saying minorities should choose to stay inside after dark. Don't be a hypocrite.

They want me to feel bad for them?

Because I don't in addition to the fact some of those are just outright lies like the part about bad cops.

J10

Banned
Not all cops are murderers. Just like not all minorities are murderers. You shouldn't immediately think ill of someone just because they're a cop, just like cops shouldn't think ill of minorities just because they're minorities.

This is also messed up, discrimination is okay sometimes? People shouldn't choose to be cops because why? It's the same as saying minorities should choose to stay inside after dark. Don't be a hypocrite.

You missed the point. The cops are not a protected class of citizen, they're an organization, a profession, an institution. Discriminating against them doesn't mean anything because they've chosen to be that, they were not assigned that label from birth. The cops are a group that has a documented reputation for corruption and systemic oppression of minorities. Look at these two statements:

I hate black people.

I hate cops.

There's a clear reason only one of those statements would get you banned from NeoGAF. Reasonable people understand the difference.

ironmang

16. If I give you a break, it's because I chose to. Not because your mother's cousin is a cop.

Guess it's just coincidence that most of the people I know who have gotten breaks had some kind of relationship with a local cop.

Guess it's just coincidence that most of the people I know who have gotten breaks had some kind of relationship with a local cop.

Heh..have a buddy who makes a call to his pal every couple of months to make his mom's tickets disappear. I mean, good for them, but come on..

They could stop being power tripping twitchy bigoted assholes.

That would work if they were all one person. Every profession is going to have power tripping bigoted twitchy assholes. But in most other professions you'll never hear about that guy specifically.

J10

Banned
That would work if they were all one person. Every profession is going to have power tripping bigoted twitchy assholes. But in most other professions you'll never hear about that guy specifically.

Most other professions they don't shoot a nigga to death once every 28 hours and keep getting away with it.

I believe most cops aren't racist or power-hungry, and that they do the best they can at their jobs. I'm sure a lot of them are regular people just doing their jobs. The problem is that there are far too many who fall into the racist, angry, power-hungry category. It's not that people hate all cops, but when there are constant stories coming out about unjustified shootings/deaths going unpunished, it's easy to lose faith. Until major changes are made across the board, the public perception of cops won't change.

Not just news stories, but disproportionate statistics, personal experiences and shared tales. It has never stopped, nothing has changed.

TarNaru33

Banned
I wouldn't call any of those hourly wages "pittances", it's just that some are more obscene than others.

That is New York City, bro.. that isn't as much as it sound considering the standard of living.

All of you trying to get on #1, posting how they are paid a lot in certain cities, are incorrect in that use. For example, here in Danville, VA, cops make around 30K. The state troopers make in VA make 40K after leaving the academy and a 1 year probation period. The thing that is good is the benefits.

The average pay of 50K a year in U.S for police officers, makes it seem like a lot since the biggest departments are in huge cities where they get paid decently according to their standard of living (and the fact many of them are unionized).

I interpreted #20 as being meant for people who think they can be tough as if they would get away with it. I didn't take it as "I am mooooore powerful!" I could be wrong though..

Ketch

You missed the point. The cops are not a protected class of citizen, they're an organization, a profession, an institution. Discriminating against them doesn't mean anything because they've chosen to be that, they were not assigned that label from birth. The cops are a group that has a documented reputation for corruption and systemic oppression of minorities. Look at these two statements:

I hate black people.

I hate cops.

There's a clear reason only one of those statements would get you banned from NeoGAF. Reasonable people understand the difference.

You're right. There are huge differences, and it is vital that citizens scrutinize the cops (and the rest of the government) in order to keep them in check. Being a cop is not a special class of citizen nor is being a cop on the same level of being of a race of people. Some cops do have a documented history of corruption and oppression, but cops as a group also have a documented reputation for risking their lives to help people, positive community involvement, enforcing rules that maintain order and safety for everybody even though it's not popular to do so.

Look at those same two statements and tell me they don't both come from a place of generalizing the behavior of a few and projecting it onto the many.

J10

Banned
Lets stop pretending like we don't all generalize everything about everything. There is not enough time in the day to gather all the facts about every little fucking thing. You can look at statistics, watch the news, look at the generally accepted everyday truths, and then you fill in the gaps with your personal biases and prejudices formed from your own experiences, because to do otherwise would be prohibitive to actually living your life. So please, stop with the "generalizing is wrong" bullshit. There is such a thing as a well informed generalization and we're not the snowflakes we love to pretend we are.

We don't have to share someone else's experience to be able to empathize with them. If you're a straight, white, middle class, Christian male in this country, there's a fairly good chance you don't get what everyone else is complaining about all the time, life is probably not that bad for you. That doesn't mean you can't try to understand, but I don't always get what's keeping you from trying. It's not a coincidence that most of the people who primarily stick up for cops in these discussions are usually not minorities or just not capable of empathizing with the victims for some reason.

In my community, New York City, the cops don't have a reputation for "positive involvement." They have a reputation for disproportionately harassing, assaulting, and murdering minorities without consequence. If you look closely at the other ten or twelve places in the country with largest concentrations of black and brown people, you'll find the same to be true in those places. It's not a coincidence. Here's the generalization: cops are distrustful of minorities. We've seen evidence that they are instructed to target them more than whites. We've seen evidence that minorities are disproportionately killed by cops even though cops still kill a larger total of white people yearly.

I don't know how else to convince you that I'm not screaming fuck the cops at the top of my lungs for no reason.

Lets stop pretending like we don't all generalize everything about everything. There is not enough time in the day to gather all the facts about every little fucking thing. You can look at statistics, watch the news, look at the generally accepted everyday truths, and then you fill in the gaps with your personal biases and prejudices formed from your own experiences, because to do otherwise would be prohibitive to actually living your life. So please, stop with the "generalizing is wrong" bullshit. There is such a thing as a well informed generalization and we're not the snowflakes we love to pretend we are.

We don't have to share someone else's experience to be able to empathize with them. If you're a straight, white, middle class, Christian male in this country, there's a fairly good chance you don't get what everyone else is complaining about all the time, life is probably not that bad for you. That doesn't mean you can't try to understand, but I don't always get what's keeping you from trying. It's not a coincidence that most of the people who primarily stick up for cops in these discussions are usually not minorities or just not capable of empathizing with the victims for some reason.

In my community, New York City, the cops don't have a reputation for "positive involvement." They have a reputation for disproportionately harassing, assaulting, and murdering minorities without consequence. If you look closely at the other ten or twelve places in the country with largest concentrations of black and brown people, you'll find the same to be true in those places. It's not a coincidence. Here's the generalization: cops are distrustful of minorities. We've seen evidence that they are instructed to target them more than whites. We've seen evidence that minorities are disproportionately killed by cops even though cops still kill a larger total of white people yearly.

I don't know how else to convince you that I'm not screaming fuck the cops at the top of my lungs for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJjK3IV3E0

Might as well make a "Fuck the Police" OT, seeing as how this is basically all this thread is.

Take the sunglasses off, might be easier to read

Two Words

The problem with police officers is the same problem with politics. People that would be best for the job don't want to do it.

Here's the generalization: cops are distrustful of minorities. We've seen evidence that they are instructed to target them more than whites. We've seen evidence that minorities are disproportionately killed by cops even though cops still kill a larger total of white people yearly.

You want the real generalization: PEOPLE are distrustful of minorities (in general) in this country. White, black, or brown. To pretend that people in law enforcement (or even people in power in general) are the only ones guilty of this is just not correct. In theory, the people chosen to be law enforcement officers are supposed to trained to be better than that, but the truth of the matter is that they very clearly aren't.

Trike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJjK3IV3E0

Take the sunglasses off, might be easier to read

I suggest you reread the entire thread. The majority of the posters in this thread seem to be blasting all cops. It's not a thread about cops doing bad things, it is about a list of things that people may not know about cops. But really, it is just a thread for people to dogpile on all cops, a celebration of a shared hatred. If we are just creating threads for that now, why not just make an official thread for it? Let people voice their resentment for the police in one place. It's obviously something people want to talk about.

I suggest you reread the entire thread. The majority of the posters in this thread seem to be blasting all cops. It's not a thread about cops doing bad things, it is about a list of things that people may not know about cops. But really, it is just a thread for people to dogpile on all cops, a celebration of a shared hatred. If we are just creating threads for that now, why not just make an official thread for it? Let people voice their resentment for the police in one place. It's obviously something people want to talk about.

I've been in the thread since the first page

like, actually reading posts and not assuming what they say

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This article is ill timed and with the way it's written, not really helping anyone's case. In fact, it's probably doing the opposite.

agonism

Neo Member

And yeah, the "distrust" or selective targeting of people of color ties into class based issues, even if the person of color is actually middle class to outright bourgeois. Most reasonable people these days do at least acknowledge that poverty will often correspond with higher "crime" rates within segregated communities, racialized communities where poverty has been historically cumulative. The issue isn't so much with all laws as they were, even if ethics aren't always derived from or even practically contingent upon law, or with the good cop or primarily just the problematic one; it's with the police as an institution for which one of their purposes is to make sure that economic disparities do indeed remain disparate.

There's an entire public sector that provides many middle class, unionized white Americans with jobs from the outcomes of this disparity. It's why even as people become more accepting of soft drugs, although I doubt it'd reduce incarceration rates much, cops still lobby against decriminalization or less harsh penalties with their organizations and try to sell people on their brand of moralism that isn't at all disinterested. Racism and classism reinforce the other, it influences people's perceptions of people of color as if this were the natural order of things or something and which they use to justify discrimination or police brutality.

I'm not white, but I can't say that I myself have ever experienced the type of discrimination or oppression at either the institutional or cultural scales that some other ethnic groups have in the US, although I'm not saying the any of this from an armchair either. FTP, we could live without them were we to choose to.

Cops deserve fat pensions IMO. Same with any public servant position. Then again, I think most/all Americans deserve some level of comfort in retirement.

Put cameras on them. Punish them appropriately when they do fuck up, and I think this discussion dies out for the most part.

Mael

5. It isn't fair that everyone likes firefighters more. Cops actually risk their lives more often (and probably save more kittens).
Well firefighters shoot less people to death :/
10. Smoking cigarettes, using mouthwash, breath mints, or sucking on pennies neither hide the odor of alcohol on your breath, nor do they affect the breathalyzer.
Someone actually tried that? o_O
Like the scene goes
"Hey dude I gotta take back my car but I'm smashed"
"Don't worry dude you can suck my dick and the breathalyzer will totally not catch you"

Well firefighters shoot less people to death :/
Someone actually tried that? o_O
Like the scene goes
"Hey dude I gotta take back my car but I'm smashed"
"Don't worry dude you can suck my dick and the breathalyzer will totally not catch you"

...pennies...

wildfire

Banned
18. We also remember the rare occasions someone says thanks.

This is odd. If someone calls for your help they most likely will say thank you. I doubt people in this country are that rude and the cops are just conflating the situations where they are doing their job without getting a call like those traffic stops. :|

9. Except for violent or extreme crimes, most police departments don't have the budget to do forensics on a scene.

This bothers me a lot because while I always had the sense that police departments are underfunded (hence why certain counties aggressively shake down speedsters (and I use this term loosely) for cash) it reminds me that the police are being militarized by the federal government because they couldn't afford buying this excessive gear on their own. The feds should be providing better equipment for police work instead of gear to combat terrorism or the police departments should be allowed to flip the military they get but don't need for equipment they actually do need.

"My son is 9 and has been hinting at wanting to be an Officer when he's older. I wish I could give him my blessing and encourage him to chose this honorable profession. I'm scared about what the world will be for him when he's ready to take a job. Being investigated by the FBI and having a grand jury on what clearly was a good shoot. What does the public, and more accurately, the Politicians want? This is clearly the end times. All good is being called evil and evil is being called good."

That is "perfectly reasonable" to you?

I searched for this quote through Google and only neogaf comes up. What was this from?

wildfire

Banned
That is New York City, bro.. that isn't as much as it sound considering the standard of living.

The rest of what you said is fine but this is laughably wrong. This level of pay is way beyond what you need to be middle class in NYC.

I think what should be pointed out is that this is for senior officers. The pay when you start out is much lower than this but it still isn't a pittance even if you have a family of 4.

All of you trying to get on #1, posting how they are paid a lot in certain cities, are incorrect in that use. For example, here in Danville, VA, cops make around 30K. The state troopers make in VA make 40K after leaving the academy and a 1 year probation period. The thing that is good is the benefits.

The average pay of 50K a year in U.S for police officers, makes it seem like a lot since the biggest departments are in huge cities where they get paid decently according to their standard of living (and the fact many of them are unionized).

I interpreted #20 as being meant for people who think they can be tough as if they would get away with it. I didn't take it as "I am mooooore powerful!" I could be wrong though..

Those benefits should be accounted for in the earnings analysis. While the departments do have budgeting problems their officers aren't struggling like a pittance would suggest.

Stephanie Sterling
​1. Cops make a pittance. They don't do this for the money.

2. The standard to make criminal charges stick is incredibly high. Knowing someone is guilty and proving it are very different things.

Two contradicting statements

3. Bad cops do exist. The "power" aspect is attractive to a certain group of people. The good cops try their hardest to weed them out, but they don't always succeed.

Maybe the departments should change the hiring and firing process then. Many of these bad cops already have complaints, probation, paid leave, etc on their records.

4. Cops actually hate giving traffic tickets. In larger jurisdictions, traffic is something that you send rookies or the guys in the doghouse to do. In others, it is a duty imposed from above. It is like scrubbing your toilet. You don't do it because you want to do it. You do it because it has to be done.

Cops do it because many of them need to fill a quota. See #11.
At the same time, I'm glad they do it. Some people drive like maniacs out there.

5. It isn't fair that everyone likes firefighters more. Cops actually risk their lives more often (and probably save more kittens).

Police work is actually safer than many other jobs in the United States, even trash collecting.

6. Most convictions stem from confessions. They will do everything in their power to convince you that you should confess. Cops will (and are allowed/encouraged by prosecutors to) lie. That is one of the rules of the game.

This is a big problem. It should not be seen as a game to get someone to confess. Just recently NC released two mentally disabled half brothers from prison for a crime they didn't commit. Evidence was hidden all the way up until the day of release.

Richard Cavataio
12. Cops aren't mechanics, paramedics, firemen, judges, veterinarians or animal trainers.

Can't help but laugh at the judges part.

13. It’s legal to call a cop names. But it's also legal for a cop to decide whether you deserve a ticket. He won't give you a ticket for treating him rudely, but he might cut you loose if you're nice. A simple compliment might go a long way if you are sincere. Keep it light. They see right through a snow job.
So, if a compliment may get you out of a ticket i wonder what a bribe can do? And in some states it can be illegal to call a cop names depending if they see it as a threat. It has more to do with your actions that go along with the name calling.

Rick Bruno
14. We know that your "little angel" isn't one.
Cops aren't mechanics, paramedics, firemen, judges, veterinarians or animal trainers.

15. We know you pay our salaries. You have to – it's not out of your generosity.
We don't have the power to determine what happens to our taxes so the oversight for them getting abused is pretty high. Why even bring it up?

16. If I give you a break, it's because I chose to. Not because your mother's cousin is a cop.
If I give you a break it certainly won't be in the form of a kit kat bar. For the record one cousin is a cop and the other is a lawyer, so come at me bro. Arrest me for some trumped up BS and see what happens.

17. We carry the job home with us. We remember the tragedies, traffic fatalities, hurt or dead babies, ruined lives, battered wives, bullied kids, suicides, and the insults. We remember.

Maybe we should do something about that. I don't doubt doing this job can be mentally damaging in the long term.

19. We don't do this job for the power or prestige you might think it brings. We do it because we are tired of seeing good people suffer, and we want to help and protect them from the wolves.

How Ironic

20. You might be tougher than me, but I will win in the long run. Believe it.
again, why is this a game?
You see all civilians as the enemy?

That's all I got time for. I got homework to do.

To above; on the issue of cops making more money; you do realize they have to work 12 hour work days with some of the most ungodly hours with little to no vacation or sick leave? They get paid, on average, more than most retail positions. But that is a far cry from what they should be paid given the important role that they play in society. They should increase pay to attract more qualified candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom