• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of smearing himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8YJIx0I23U

Hilarious. Like this:

FE_DA_090409publicopinion.jpg
obama-bow-akihito.jpg

He's bowing!!!!! Lysol wipes in his pocket?

eznark

Banned
It's a right-wing smear job with no hope of success. They're trying to get Obama to drop him like he did everyone else they challenged, attempting to make it look like he has a single scandal during his tenure. He doesn't.

Which is really astounding, if you think about it.

Holder's bald faced lie to the House Judiciary Committee on the treatment of medical marijuana dispensaries would be a scandal if anyone were able to separate out issues and ethics. But no one cares about medical marijuana so no one cares if Holder is a liar when discussing it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ROMNEY IN AN APRON vs. OBAMA INCORRECTLY BOWING

We'll never know who wins THIS battle of optics!

602-FoBXH.St.55.jpeg

Also -- PD is wrong about Romney automatically passing the "looks like a president" test. John Kerry did too. Hell, he looked like his face was carved right out of Mount Rushmore. I don't think the looks test matters, either.

But I do think optics matters, and it's not just that Romney can't win it, it's that anything he does to combat prevailing notions about him (being a rich, aloof, callous, humorless wall-street fat cat) will just play into the disparity between the candidates.

ToxicAdam

Pretty interesting stuff:

Given unrealistically high initial expectations, perhaps it is unsurprising that young voters are more disappointed by Obama’s performance. For many, disillusionment with the political process has accompanied increased hardship in life, as the hope and idealism of a bright future coming out of school dissipated into the reality of a harsh economy or taxing student loans, which might compound frustration with the Obama administration. The unemployment rate for 18 29-year-olds is well above the national average, at a dismaying 12.1 percent.

Those convinced that young voters would usher in a progressive political era might be surprised to learn that disappointment with Obama has led many young whites to switch their political allegiances to the GOP, not just return to the political sidelines. According to Pew, young whites have shifted a net 18 percentage points toward Republicans since 2008, leaving a majority of young whites identifying as Republicans by 2011

Young whites constituted just 11 percent of the electorate in 2008, but that's more than the entire Latino vote and nearly as much as African Americans

http://www.tnr.com/blog/electionate/104109/obamas-challenge-young-white-voters

6a00d83451c45669e2017615a2d803970c-250wi

I am tempted to leave work early just to watch this game.

I left for the evening thinking PoliGAF was holding free and fair elections, but then I return to find something very different. :(
Bring on the UN monitors!

This is strident cable news bullshit at its worst. I was so disappointed in Maddow for that segment. Are we going to pretend that Obama isn't going to do any retail politicking between now and November?

gcubed

Conservative tripe!!

I think a lot of people have been arguing that the youth vote would not be able to propel Obama to victory, but I am pretty shocked that the youth vote is (according to this poll) actively switching sides.

I'll believe it when I see it.

yeah i dont believe that one bit.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is strident cable news bullshit at its worst. I was so disappointed in Maddow for that segment. Are we going to pretend that Obama isn't going to do any retail politicking between now and November?

I think it's weird that in the first part of your comment you suggest it's strident cable news bullshit at its worst, but in the next you say that you're disappointed in Rachel Maddow, as if she weren't on cable news. So either you think she's above this "bullshit" or you don't understand the long term electoral consequences, which are probably overstated.

I don't think anyone is pretending that Obama won't go on a bakery tour, or w/e "white/young/married woman love me" thing works, but I think the point was that it won't be on the same day Romney is acting like a big boy and addressing heads of state and staring down Putin.

Conservative tripe!!

I think a lot of people have been staying that the youth vote would not be able to propel Obama to victory, but I am pretty shocked that the youth vote is (according to this poll) actively switching sides.

I'll believe it when I see it.

That is just the white youth vote.

eznark

Banned
That is just the white youth vote.

Which according to the article is 60% of the youth vote. The article also indicates that its more about disillusionment than switching sides.

The other important part buried in that article is that it is using data compiled prior to Obama's gay marriage support speech.

I think it's weird that in the first part of your comment you suggest it's strident cable news bullshit at its worst, but in the next you say that you're disappointed in Rachel Maddow, as if she weren't on cable news. So either you think she's above this "bullshit" or you don't understand the long term electoral consequences, which are probably overstated.

I don't think anyone is pretending that Obama won't go on a bakery tour, or w/e "white/young/married woman love me" thing works, but I think the point was that it won't be on the same day Romney is acting like a big boy and addressing heads of state and staring down Putin.
I think much of Maddow's work is considerably more informative than the typical cable news show, which is why I make a point of watching it, and why I'm disappointed when she descends to coverage of this nature. "They happened on the same day..." really?

-//-

BREAKING INVISIBLE_INSANE LIFE NEWS:

I'm going to Berlin! (Or maybe the Hague) for another year and an MPP! After I finish my MPA. woooooooooooooooo

White youth.

Not shocked at all.

These are the same folks who seem to believe that if affirmative action is eliminated they don't have to worry about undeserving minorities taking their "jobs."

Edit: Yes, I meant to use the word jobs.

eznark

Banned
Fast and Furious documents have officially been covered up by the Obama administration.

This is going to explode now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fast and Furious documents have officially been covered up by the Obama administration.

This is going to explode now.

Wow--I didn't think it would happen.

This is going to be a huge story.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Dept says that President Barack Obama has asserted executive privilege to withhold documents a House committee is seeking in an investigation of a flawed gun-smuggling probe.

In a letter to Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., a Justice Department official said the privilege applies to documents that explain how the department learned that there were problems with the investigation called Operation Fast and Furious.
I don't quite understand. So there was a flawed operation called Fast and Furious and the coverup wasn't covering up the flawed operation, but covering up how the Justice Department found out that it was flawed?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Darrel issa needs to chill the fuck out. Ive seen in quite a few interviews and boy does he look like the typical " i have slept with hookers and done coke while serving congress" asshole.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^There's news, there's opinion, and then there's documents pasted to a page. I think we can tell the difference TA.

something something sunshine disinfectant

I'm sure you would be applying the same level of nuance to this judgment if Bush was still president. C'mon, man. This is shitty.

Yeah, that's probably fair. But eznark's description of this announcement as "an official coverup now" is hysterical. I'm not saying there's nothing there, I'm saying that this hasn't met what any of us expect of a coverup. I mean, that's a HUUUUGE term to be lobbing around and invokes Watergate. I'm not sure this is that.

kehs

Banned
something something sunshine disinfectant

I'm sure you would be applying the same level of nuance to this judgment if Bush was still president. C'mon, man. This is shitty.

“The documents responsive to the remaining subpoena items pertain to sensitive law enforcement activities, including ongoing criminal investigations and prosecutions, or were generated by Department officials in the course of responding to congressional investigations or media inquiries about this matter that are generally not appropriate for disclosure,” Cole wrote.

What a shitty excuse they're using to cover up a botched job.

Just put everything out and blow up any ongoing investigation!

Measley

^There's news, there's opinion, and then there's documents pasted to a page. I think we can tell the difference TA.

Yeah, that's probably fair. But eznark's description of this announcement as "an official coverup now" is hysterical. I'm not saying there's nothing there, I'm saying that this hasn't met what any of us expect of a coverup. I mean, that's a HUUUUGE term to be lobbing around and invokes Watergate. I'm not sure this is that.

It's not. Its the standard witch hunt that Republicans engage in when they control the House and not the presidency. See Whitewater and Monica Lewinsky from the Clinton era.

Clinton, GWB both exercised the executive privilege. I like how the term suddenly means Chairman Obamao exercising total authority.

I haven't been following this closely. My general, admittedly biased, impression from a few months ago is that the DoJ had provided documents pertaining to Fast and Furious but the Republican House was using this as an in to gather even more documents in other DoJ affairs in a whichhunt attempt to find somthing, anything, to pin on the Obama administration.

Did somthing actually happen here or is this just reaching the height that the back and forth can go?

eznark

Banned
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...ege_on_fast_and_furious_documents.php?ref=fpa

Btw, claiming executive privilege is hardly a "cover up." Good god, hyperventilate much?

Sorry I was in a meeting so this might have been touched on but this is incredibly hypocritical. Obama was going to bring a "new level of transparency" to government and as soon as his AG gets into some trouble he executive orders the documentation. It's absolutely a cover-up. Calling it anything else is semantics.

I fully expect it from Republicans who have no problems with trampling the rule of law in the name of national security, but when you ride the white horse of transparency into the Oval Office, maybe you should at least pretend to value said transparency?

Kind of like how the walker investigation exploded?

Huh? I never said the John Doe stuff would explode.

Clinton, GWB both exercised the executive privilege. I like how the term suddenly means Chairman Obamao exercising total authority.

Why does that make it ok? That's fucking baffling to me. If it was wrong when they did it (and it absolutely was) then it should be wrong now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Please, before saying another thing about executive privilege, can you guys at least look it up and find out why Presidents have that power in the first place?

This is all so bizarre, and while yes, it can be abused, this is pretty obviously a bad deal mixed with intel -- not exactly violations of the Geneva Convention and torturing our prisoners.

But be my guest, let's conflate the two wherever possible. Something about a chicken and fucking, keeping on.

eznark

Banned
Please, before saying another thing about executive privilege, can you guys at least look it up and find out why Presidents have that power in the first place?

This is all so bizarre, and while yes, it can be abused, this is pretty obviously a bad deal mixed with intel -- not exactly violations of the Geneva Convention and torturing our prisoners.

But be my guest, let's conflate the two wherever possible. Something about a chicken and fucking, keeping on.

I'm not saying there is no use-case for it, there are and have been in the past. Concealing information into a DoJ gun walking program meant to ensnare Mexican cartels has no national security implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom