• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

Separate from everything else, I wonder how Ryan is taking this on an ideological level. This bill was his baby, a distillation of everything he believes in. And it's been torn to shreds and seen as a disaster by the public, and won't make it past the House, if it even gets to the floor at all. Does this shake his belief at all? Or does he just think everyone else can't see the genius of Randian objectivism?

I can't find any numbers because googling just brings up Trump's numbers, but I remember an episode of Pod Save America mentioning how crazy well known Spicer is for just being a press secretary. I want to say it was something like 60% of people knew who he was?

Hmmm maybe the SNL bit plus Trump's own penchant to show off everyone leads to more name recognition than the average press secretary?

So let me get this time table right here

The House votes Monday on the bill
Then it gets punted to the Senate who debate for awhile, have to fill in some missing details, then vote
Then it goes back to the house and they have to vote, again, on the changes made
And then it's passed

And then, they need to make major changes to the tax code. Score it to make sure it's budget neutral with the ACA repeal. Pass the house, senate, back to the house.

And confirm a Supreme Court Justice

And do all this before April 15th?

Yea, okay.

They're out of time.

You guys remember the Franken/Weiner 2016 talks from 2009 :(

Anyway I love Franken. His showdown with Trump will be everything we wanted from Hillary.

C7oF_riXQAAd4ll.jpg

Blader

Separate from everything else, I wonder how Ryan is taking this on an ideological level. This bill was his baby, a distillation of everything he believes in.

It wasn't even that. A pure distillation of what Ryan believes would have been a much harsher bill. Ryan's not technically a Tea Partier, but I think his worldview is much closer aligned with the HFC than the moderate caucus. The bill as is is watered down from Ryan's perspective to pick up enough votes from both sides.

So let me get this time table right here

The House votes Monday on the bill
Then it gets punted to the Senate who debate for awhile, have to fill in some missing details, then vote

Hasn't McConnell said he's gonna fast track the bill straight to a floor vote? They're skipping the committee process in the Senate.

LAtoDC

Neo Member
I stand by my prediction.

We will follow the drama ALL DAY and into the night, only for Ryan to "delay" the vote. There is speculation Ryan will allow a vote so that Members are put on the record, but that would be an admittance of failure on the Speaker's part, and frankly I don't see that happening.

Yes, I am quoting myself. At this rate, I don't see a vote happening in the next few days.

Can we maybe neutralize Trump just by driving him to various battleships and letting him spin the wheel around

Maybe he can get wings

About $10M in quarters for mechanical horsey rides should do it for four years

edit: do you think he knows how to drive? legit question

Surfinn

You guys remember the Franken/Weiner 2016 talks from 2009 :(

Anyway I love Franken. His showdown with Trump will be everything we wanted from Hillary.

I'm out of the loop but.. why do people love Franken so much? I thought his questioning during the Gorsuch hearing was clunky. Wasn't impressed.

Schiff has been pretty goddamn amazing though. I don't know much about him but his handling of the hearing until now has been near perfect.

Emarv

More time isn't gonna make this thing nicer. People aren't just going to forget about it. It's just gonna get easier for them to abandon ship.

Do we get a new CBO score before Monday? God, I hope so.

More time for protests. More time for the AARP to get ads ready and send out mailers. Less time for tax cuts. Less time for the Supreme Court.

Time is not their friend right now.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
A Franken/Trump debate is exactly what we need.

Though even I as a general not-a-fan of Hillary quite enjoyed watching her trounce Trump, she did so in a way that was apparently just a bit too subtle for your average moron.

Franken could hit the everyman appeal while systematically dismantling Trump and doing it with a few laughs along the way.

Vixdean

Bottom line is they know they don't have the votes or there's no reason to post pone it. It's going to get harder, not easier.

Emarv

👇🙊 Yup yup

Dave Weigel
@daveweigel
Sidebar to all this: Nancy Pelosi c. 2009-2010 was extremely good at her job.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah I've told my dad to get our of the markets ASAP. I've got a really bad feeling. This was their chance to show they could do literally anything

I'm out of the loop but.. why do people love Franken so much? I thought his questioning during the Gorsuch hearing was clunky. Wasn't impressed.

Schiff has been pretty goddamn amazing though. I don't know much about him but his handling of the hearing until now has been near perfect.
He's a strong progressive
Maybe gorsuch questioning was clunky. Check out his Betsy DeVos questioning.
Really smart and witty too
Supply Side Jesus comic he wrote

Foffy

Banned
Separate from everything else, I wonder how Ryan is taking this on an ideological level. This bill was his baby, a distillation of everything he believes in. And it's been torn to shreds and seen as a disaster by the public, and won't make it past the House, if it even gets to the floor at all. Does this shake his belief at all? Or does he just think everyone else can't see the genius of Randian objectivism?

Hmmm maybe the SNL bit plus Trump's own penchant to show off everyone leads to more name recognition than the average press secretary?

If Ryan already gets hard at the smell of his own farts, he just needs to double down on the Ayn Rand dogshit.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Isn't this short sighted? Like didn't they see what happened to Dems during confirmation, where they had literally no power? Doing this will hurt them if there is a Dem president and a new supreme court seat opens.

They have literally no choice if they get filibustered.

Trump is a walking, halfway-sentient pile of hogshit who couldn't recognize the politically savvy move if it ran up and bit him on his comically-undersized member. There is no potential universe in which the GOP goes to him and says "Hey, we don't want to burn the filibuster on this, maybe we should offer a more consensus candidate" and he agrees. Even if they wanted to do that, which is feasible, Trump would never admit defeat. He'll force them to burn it down.

Teggy

This would be pretty messed up

Kilgore Trout‏
@KT_So_It_Goes

Hey...um...what are the odds the White House slipped Nunes that Infowars story and that's the entire basis for this smoldering tire fire?

(there was an infowars story about an NSA source for trump being monitored)

daedalius

A Franken/Trump debate is exactly what we need.

Though even I as a general not-a-fan of Hillary quite enjoyed watching her trounce Trump, she did so in a way that was apparently just a bit too subtle for your average moron.

Franken could hit the everyman appeal while systematically dismantling Trump and doing it with a few laughs along the way.

A debate between Franken and Trump would be glorious to behold

Blader

Sen. Lindsey Graham signals support for nuclear option if Democrats filibuster Gorsuch vote
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/23/politics/kfile-lindsey-graham-nuclear-option/index.html

This should make it clear that Republicans would nuke the filibuster regardless of when Dems tried to invoke it, either on Gorsuch or the next potential nominee. If Senate Rs are looking at the filibuster as a means of delegitimizing a president, then by that logic, any nominee put forward by any president should be automatically voted upon (unless it's an election year of course!), in which case, why bother having a filibuster at all?

They have literally no choice if they get filibustered.

Trump is a walking, halfway-sentient pile of hogshit who couldn't recognize the politically savvy move if it ran up and bit him on his comically-undersized member. There is no potential universe in which the GOP goes to him and says "Hey, we don't want to burn the filibuster on this, maybe we should offer a more consensus candidate" and he agrees. Even if they wanted to do that, which is feasible, Trump would never admit defeat. He'll force them to burn it down.

It would be nice if they could force Trumps hand. Doing this will screw the Republicans in the future, just like it bit the Dems in the ass this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom