• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C6UuGxyUYAEiUzs.jpg

The amount of things happening in this photo...

Chaffetz: Americans May Have To Choose Between New Phone, Health Insurance

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) on Tuesday morning brushed off concerns about the access low-income Americans will have to health insurance with Republicans' plan to replace Obamacare, arguing that Americans will just have to choose between a new phone and health insurance.

"Americans have choices. And they've got to make a choice. And so maybe rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and they want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care. They've got to make those decisions themselves," Chaffetz said on CNN's "New Day" when pressed on insurance for low-income Americans under the latest draft legislation to replace the Affordable Care Act.

I hear some of them even have refrigerators.

The cost of my iPhone is like 70 dollars a month.

My company pays 75% of my health insurance, and it's still 125 a month.

So...

I kind of get the feeling he has no idea how much both an iPhone or health insurance costs.

Seventy70

Has anyone else been following Louise Mensch on the whole Trump-Russia thing? Her blog article that she wrote back in January seems to have gotten pretty much the whole thing right. I would also recommend listening to this interview with her which pretty much sums everything up. Apparently, Comey's hand was forced with releasing the letter prior to the election because certain people in the FBI threatened to go public. Also, she says that it's likely that Anthony Weiner was actually catfished by a Russian hacker in order to plant a virus on his computer which would later be used to steal the emails.

She's also confident that Bannon and Breitbart are entirely controlled by Russia which isn't too surprising, but still. I really hope Breitbart comes crashing down in this whole thing. That would be amazing.

FLEABttn

Banned
I remember when the Apple Watch was part of Jeb Bush's anti-Obamacare healthcare vision.

I can buy a new iPhone SE for less than the Apple Watch.

Has anyone else been following Louise Mensch on the whole Trump-Russia thing? Her blog article that she wrote back in January seems to have gotten pretty much the whole thing right. I would also recommend listening to this interview with her which pretty much sums everything up. Apparently, Comey's hand was forced with releasing the letter prior to the election because certain people in the FBI threatened to go public. Also, she says that it's likely that Anthony Weiner was actually catfished by a Russian hacker in order to plant a virus on his computer which would later be used to steal the emails.

She's also confident that Bannon and Breitbart are entirely controlled by Russia which isn't too surprising, but still. I really hope Breitbart comes crashing down in this whole thing. That would be amazing.

Just came across CarolinaConspiracy today. You did a good job explaining it. Isnt Boente implicated in this? Ya know, the deputy AG to be who will have reign over Russia ties investigation.

Pixieking

Banned
For people not familiar with Louise Mensch, she's an absolutely hateful person. She's very nationalist, spouted some nasty things about immigrants, been accused of cyber-bullying.

Not to say she isn't possibly right about Russia/Putin/Trump, but she shouldn't be a go-to source all things considered.

So is the Sessions ordeal dead in the water? I haven't had much about it in the last few days it feels like it just came and went. If so is pretty disappointing knowing somebody can commit perjury and the Republican's will just sweep it under the rug.

Dave Weigel‏Verified account
@daveweigel
The GOP’s ACA replacement has lost @mfcannon, the premier libertarian Obamacare critic.

Heritage Action‏Verified account
@Heritage_Action
Heritage Action Statement: GOP Plan Fails to Move Past Obamacare’s Progressive Promise http://bit.ly/2mBdO7u

CNN Politics‏Verified account
@CNNPolitics
GOP Sen. Roy Blunt: The House GOP health care plan "may not be a plan which can get a majority of votes to pass" http://cnn.it/2mxvTTv

Kasie Hunt‏Verified account @kasie 34m34 minutes ago
It is still early so caveats apply but events of today suggest GOP health care bill is already on life support (if not dead on arrival...)

Senator Rand Paul‏Verified account @RandPaul 57m57 minutes ago
The House leadership Obamacare Lite plan has many problems. We should be stopping mandates, taxes and entitlements not keeping them.

WINNING!

So is the Sessions ordeal dead in the water? I haven't had much about it in the last few days it feels like it just came and went. If so is pretty disappointing knowing somebody can commit perjury and the Republican's will just sweep it under the rug.

A Republican can stand in the middle of fifth avenue and shoot somebody and Republicans will just sweep it under the rug.

Honestly I'm not sure they can put together any bill that passes the House, let alone the Senate, given the dysfunction in their caucus. I think this is going to be a huge problem for them come 2018.

This healthcare thing really shows how unprepared Ryan is, despite being around Washington most of his adult life and being hailed a "wonk." This could have been called a first draft or something else to make it clear it was a work in progress. Instead they basically revealed a half cooked "finished" bill to be voted on ASAP and passed before Easter (lol). I almost want to say this is just a trial balloon but too much work went into it. Ryan is proud of this.

Creating a healthcare bill takes a long fucking time. Even funnier that republicans to this day claim Obamacare was quickly passed when it had to go through multiple committees and various debates as things were added/removed. Yet here republicans have conjured a bullshit bill and want it passed immediately. Amazing.

The bad news is that Obamacare is basically going to implode in the next couple years as the exchanges fail. Democrats need to make some major gains (including the presidency) in order to fix it. It's clear republicans have no interest in adding anything intellectually to this issue.

Honestly I'm not sure they can put together any bill that passes the House, let alone the Senate, given the dysfunction in their caucus. I think this is going to be a huge problem for them come 2018.

I always wondered. What if the Dems allowed the Republicans to repeal ACA when they tried like 80 times. Would they have been more prepared then, or would them Dems have called their bluff.

This healthcare thing really shows how unprepared Ryan is, despite being around Washington most of his adult life and being hailed a "wonk." This could have been called a first draft or something else to make it clear it was a work in progress. Instead they basically revealed a half cooked "finished" bill to be voted on ASAP and passed before Easter (lol). I almost want to say this is just a trial balloon but too much work went into it. Ryan is proud of this.

Creating a healthcare bill takes a long fucking time. Even funnier that republicans to this day claim Obamacare was quickly passed when it had to go through multiple committees and various debates as things were added/removed. Yet here republicans have conjured a bullshit bill and want it passed immediately. Amazing.

The bad news is that Obamacare is basically going to implode in the next couple years as the exchanges fail. Democrats need to make some major gains (including the presidency) in order to fix it. It's clear republicans have no interest in adding anything intellectually to this issue.
They got caught lying.

They knew the bill is what their reform would have looked like but lied that it was a disaster for political gain. Now with power they realize they can only go backwards or admit to the lie

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing that will pass the house is a full stop repeal at a target date, maybe with a nebulous promise to "replace" it in the future. The replacement will either never happen or be a bunch of nothing burgers (Tort reform and interstate purchasing).

Any attempts to minimize the damage of full repeal with replacement mechanisms will be resisted as Obamacare light, costing too much, or being insufficiently cruel to the poor.

They can't pass a standalone repeal in the senate because it would get filibustered. They can't pass standalone repeal as a budget reconciliation so they are trying to cram a bill of triage measures before people see how bad it is.

Franken is demanding Grassley to bring back Sessions for his false testimony. They're bickering in the Deputy AG nomination hearing. Grassley doesn't appear to be budging, says it was a "gotcha question".

Franken is demanding Grassley to bring back Sessions for his false testimony. They're bickering in the Deputy AG nomination hearing. Grassley doesn't appear to be budging, says it was a "gotcha question".

I really hope our generation doesn't grow into power to act like this bunch of jackasses.

I'm guessing with this opposition Ryan won't bring it to the floor to vote?

Will he wait for the CBO score?

If he's defeated, does he risk getting removed from Speaker of the House?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

LOL no. They're keeping him.

How was that a "gotcha question?"

If it goes to the floor it'll be defeated; not sure if Ryan wants that to happen or not. He's at no risk of losing his Speakership over this though. Trump being president basically hides the fact that Ryan is not good at his job.

DonShula

Dude is a moron, but having said that, is there even a small chance here that he's making those comments to incite his base, knowing this thing never gets passed? "Maybe poor people should save their money so they aren't so poor" is an easy thing for Republicans to get behind. The Trump set will eat that up and it's basically a dog whistle for your more traditional Republican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom