• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Berkeley is just low hanging fruit for ~edgy~ conservatives.

Benny Johnson should go down there and write Good Viral Content that riles up the Intolerant Left for Buzzfeed. Or was it the IJR.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Berkeley is just low hanging fruit for ~edgy~ conservatives.

Benny Johnson should go down there and write Good Viral Content that riles up the Intolerant Left for Buzzfeed. Or was it the IJR.

Pretty much this. Berkeley authorities + local anarchists / dumbasses are super easy to rile up and use to discredit the left. They keep falling for the bait and making themselves look like authoritarian dickwaffles.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/857434711660122112
The US flag in Trump's tweet is missing 11 stars; it only has 39. h/t @christinawilkie (https://t.co/05dwk78JSD)
C-Y4T7AUMAAA_nI.jpg:large

Who even has a clipart of the flag with the wrong number of stars on it sitting around?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Apparently it's been used in several / multiple social media posts and it was never a legal flag ... meaning this is intentional.

Anyone wanna guess the significance of 11 missing states?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So is Berkeley like a battleground or something. What's with these alt-right going there. Does the school really want this after what happened with the clash and Ann Coulter?
They pick Berkeley because they know they aren't wanted there and they want to stir shit. The college republicans or whomever are too eager to trip over themselves with invites. And if the speech or talk or whatever never actually happens then it's a bonus. Free publicity, free whataboutisms, free outrage event to whine about those dirty "fascist" liberals.

jtb

Banned
The New York Times editorial page is a crime against humanity.

I really don't understand how you could look at today's political environment and find a writer whose ideas are more insipid and less in demand than Bret Stephens. What a blowhard.

I actually enjoy Douthat; he's actually probably my favorite columnist they have right now. Their liberals commentators are way too Times-y to be of an use in this current political environment. (Brooks is, has been, and always will be irredeemable garbage. )

Pixieking

Banned
Ohhhh, are we kicking the New York bloody Times? Sweeeeeet!

Re: the Tax "plan":

Jay Rosen‏Verified account @jayrosen_nyu 1h1 hour ago

Jay Rosen Retweeted Jay Rosen

On the @nytimes app home screen it's called a "plan" three times. Meanwhile @andrewrsorkin said on 'All In' it belongs on a cocktail napkin.

A R Sorkin is

@NYTimes Columnist/Editor & @CNBC Squawk Box Co-Anchor. Author, Too Big To Fail. Founder, @DealBook. Co-Creator/Exec Producer, BILLIONS @Showtime. Proud Dad.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh boy look who is coming back to Berkeley

It's Milo......
Yawn. Loser is trying to capitalize on Coulter's scraps. Sad!
This is too funny. Sounds more like a vaguely and long recommended surgery that he suddenly feels like acting on, so that he has a nice break to focus on sending resumes.

jtb

Banned
The worst thing about Trump (okay, not the worst) is that it's given the media an excuse to do a completely unearned self-congratulatory victory lap about how ~important~ they are.

Fuck you. Trump is President because you failed. And you're still failing.

There's been no introspection whatsoever, unless you count Liz Spayd desperately pandering to the alt-right. I shit on Nate as much as anyone, but he's absolutely right on this front.

Ohhhh, are we kicking the New York bloody Times? Sweeeeeet!

Re: the Tax "plan":

A R Sorkin is

Jay Rosen's piece today about the whole White House press briefing fiasco was great.

Teggy

Warren gave a really good interview on the New Yorker radio show tonight (which I wasn't aware existed). She has a new book coming out.

Ernest

Banned
It's already been said in so many ways for so many reasons, but guys, Trump is a fucking moron!

Angela Merkel 'had to explain fundamentals of EU trade to Donald Trump 11 times'

Angela Merkel was forced to explain the “fundamentals” of EU trade to Donald Trump 11 times after he repeatedly asked to do a deal directly with Germany, a senior German official has claimed.

The US President reportedly exposed "very basic misunderstandings" of how EU trade works during a meeting with the German chancellor last month.

“Ten times Trump asked [Ms Merkel] if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Every time she replied, 'You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU,'" the official told The Times.

"On the eleventh refusal, Trump finally got the message, 'Oh, we’ll do a deal with Europe then.'"
Or it could be dementia.

Most likely, he's an idiot who has dementia.

Check out Merkel's face at the moment she realized what a moron Trump is:

rtx31j6y.jpg

Pixieking

Banned
TBT 2016 when presidential candidate Donald Trump said he'll raise taxes on the wealthy

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/857381320355454976

don't think there will be anyone who exemplifies being a lying bastard than Trump in our lifetime.

I think Trump will go down in history as the very epitome of lying, two-faced, maniacal politician. I think this negative opinion will cross borders, and political and economic class divides, though not until we're in the mid-2020s. I also honestly think he'll be talked about in the same breath as Neville Chambarlain and Vidkun Quisling by historians.

I think Trump will go down in history as the very epitome of lying, two-faced, maniacal politician. I think this negative opinion will cross borders, and political and economic class divides, though not until we're in the mid-2020s. I also honestly think he'll be talked about in the same breath as Neville Chambarlain and Vidkun Quisling by historians.
It's interesting to think how politicians will be perceived long past their expiration date. Like obviously people still have very strong opinions about Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Obama etc but it's hard to gauge how we'll look back on those presidencies in say, 50-100 years.

I agree with you though that Trump will be universally reviled. He'll end up like Nixon where even people who voted for him are embarrassed by it.

It's interesting to think how politicians will be perceived long past their expiration date. Like obviously people still have very strong opinions about Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Obama etc but it's hard to gauge how we'll look back on those presidencies in say, 50-100 years.

I agree with you though that Trump will be universally reviled. He'll end up like Nixon where even people who voted for him are embarrassed by it.

I actually totally disagree with this. I think the core white nationalist rural base will look at Trump as somebody screwed by the Deep State/Establishment/RINO's/liberal media/etc. and that he was the last great hope against the oncoming Brown Horde, especially when in 2024, the GOP likely nominates somebody 180 degrees away from Trump after stacking the primary with establishment friendly states.

I also think a lot less people were embarrassed by Nixon than you think. Your average Washington Republican? Sure, because some still had shame back then. But, your Archie Bunker type who voted for him in '68 and '72 probably thought he was screwed over somehow. After all, the guy still had a 20-something approval rating.

I mean yes, he'll be seen by historians and smart Republican's as a total disaster. But, in the near future, he'll have his fan base and even his more polished successors.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone tell me why the Tories caucus with the much further right European Parliamentary caucus instead of the center-right one that all the other center-right parties are a part of? Not that it'll matter in 2 years, but.

Most European rightwing parties who are otherwise similar to the Conservatives (LR, CDU, Spanish Conservatives) are in favour of the European Union because of freedom of capital movement, banking union, joint business regulations, etc. Initially, the Conservatives sat in the same group as them in the European Parliament, but they became increasingly ostracised and irrelevant due to how many anti-EU Conservatives there were - nobody wanted to work with them. Given that it wasn't really a loss in influence because they didn't have any at that point, the Tories decided to set up their own group primarily focused on being anti-European, because it played well domestically. That's a pretty niche view elsewhere in Europe so they ended up with all the (other) reactionary parties.

I actually totally disagree with this. I think the core white nationalist rural base will look at Trump as somebody screwed by the Deep State/Establishment/RINO's/liberal media/etc. and that he was the last great hope against the oncoming Brown Horde, especially when in 2024, the GOP likely nominates somebody 180 degrees away from Trump after stacking the primary with establishment friendly states.

I also think a lot less people were embarrassed by Nixon than you think. Your average Washington Republican? Sure, because some still had shame back then. But, your Archie Bunker type who voted for him in '68 and '72 probably thought he was screwed over somehow. After all, the guy still had a 20-something approval rating.

I mean yes, he'll be seen by historians and smart Republican's as a total disaster. But, in the near future, he'll have his fan base and even his more polished successors.
I mean, universal consensus on anything in America is like 75% tops when you get into specifics. Trump having an approval rating in the 20s would not surprise me at all.

Most European rightwing parties who are otherwise similar to the Conservatives (LR, CDU, Spanish Conservatives) are in favour of the European Union because of freedom of capital movement, banking union, joint business regulations, etc. Initially, the Conservatives sat in the same group as them in the European Parliament, but they became increasingly ostracised and irrelevant due to how many anti-EU Conservatives there were - nobody wanted to work with them. Given that it wasn't really a loss in influence because they didn't have any at that point, the Tories decided to set up their own group primarily focused on being anti-European, because it played well domestically. That's a pretty niche view elsewhere in Europe so they ended up with all the (other) reactionary parties.

Exactly what I was looking for -- thank you!

Robbie Gramer‏Verified account @RobbieGramer 12h12 hours ago
Trumps’ “VOICE” Hotline set up for people to report on crime from illegal aliens was reportedly overloaded with calls about space aliens

#tiredofwinning

Saving face -->
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2m2 minutes ago

I received calls from the President of Mexico and the Prime Minister of Canada asking to renegotiate NAFTA rather than terminate. I agreed..

Diablos

So tried of whining!

Thank god for us!
It's annoying though. It's like he does it to soften the blow for when he would actually act on one of his promises/threats as people are looking the other way.

Fucking with NAFTA and sabotaging the ACA via EO and Tom Price is very possible still. Knowing this guy he'll just do it outta nowhere.

tbm24

At this point I have to assume Carter Page doesnt have a lawyer. If he does he's clearly the worst because somehow he is still showing up in TV.

Halperin: "It's been a huge news week, partly by design, partly by this device the media created to some extent, of the first 100 days"

Halpy you're adorable

So, what's happened/happening with the budget? Did Republicans come up with an agreement or what's the chances of a government shutdown? Or are we still in essentially the same spot we were a week ago and have no clue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom